FB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BDB

Quote from: OzJohnnie on September 14, 2018, 08:17:53 AM
Quote from: faunch on September 14, 2018, 07:51:32 AM
Word is that SJU @ Gus Davis might be played at 10 am. A decision will be made by noon today.

Did the away team travel last night?  Sheesh.

sjusection105 will be cracking open his Hamm's at 6am baby!

57Johnnie

Quote from: BlueDevil Bob on September 14, 2018, 08:37:28 AM
Word is that SJU @ Gus Davis might be played at 10 am. A decision will be made by noon today.

Oz will still be out partying!  :)
The older the violin - the sweeter the music!

art76

Quote from: Pat Coleman on September 14, 2018, 01:27:57 AM
Dan McKane's take on the conference's new weather guidelines is in the opening segment of our podcast. (First 12 minutes.)

http://www.d3blogs.com/d3football/2018/09/14/atn-podcast-203-feeling-the-heat-in-week-3/

When I first heard about this new development I went on record to say that it seemed to be unenforceable at the time of the contest. This was not addressed on the Podcast. It seems apparent that folks are trying to predict the weather accurately 48 hours ahead of time and make decisions based on the weather forecast. If this is what they are trying to do, why all the talk about a wet bulb measurement taken on the day of the contest? It's like trying to predict how much snow will fall on your driveway because you know it's winter outside. (A bit of hyperbole there.) It's using similar knowledge to justify a result. Maybe I shouldn't be so logical when it comes to living life, perhaps.

I understand what the leaders of the MIAC are trying to do, just use good reasons for doing it, not some sort of related science to justify it. Just state simply what your intentions are and why, and let the truth of the matter be what it is. Don't try to complicate it to make it "look better", because it actually makes your position look weaker. Drop the wet bulb justification because it doesn't seem needed from where I sit.
You don't have a soul. You are a soul.
You have a body. - C.S. Lewis

jamtod

Quote from: art76 on September 14, 2018, 10:42:47 AM
Dan McKane's take on the conference's new weather guidelines is in the opening segment of our podcast. (First 12 minutes.)

http://www.d3blogs.com/d3football/2018/09/14/atn-podcast-203-feeling-the-heat-in-week-3/

When I first heard about this new development I went on record to say that it seemed to be unenforceable at the time of the contest. This was not addressed on the Podcast. It seems apparent that folks are trying to predict the weather accurately 48 hours ahead of time and make decisions based on the weather forecast. If this is what they are trying to do, why all the talk about a wet bulb measurement taken on the day of the contest? It's like trying to predict how much snow will fall on your driveway because you know it's winter outside. (A bit of hyperbole there.) It's using similar knowledge to justify a result. Maybe I shouldn't be so logical when it comes to living life, perhaps.

I understand what the leaders of the MIAC are trying to do, just use good reasons for doing it, not some sort of related science to justify it. Just state simply what your intentions are and why, and let the truth of the matter be what it is. Don't try to complicate it to make it "look better", because it actually makes your position look weaker. Drop the wet bulb justification because it doesn't seem needed from where I sit.

I think it makes sense to have the Wet Bulb justification in play as an objective measurement and guideline, and it also makes sense to try to plan ahead and shift games around so that you don't have to make a last second decision when fans have already arrived. I'm looking forward to a 6pm game, as even on 70F days, the stands in mid-afternoon get roasty.

I imagine the sciency types can predict some of the factors that play into the WBGT roughly as well as they do a straight up F measurement so it's not just a total guess.

sjusection105

Quote from: BlueDevil Bob on September 14, 2018, 08:37:28 AM

A wise man once said "you can't drink all day, unless you start early..."
As of now they're on DOUBLE SECRET Probation!

DuffMan

Quote from: sjusection105 on September 14, 2018, 11:14:52 AM
A wise man once said "you can't drink all day, unless you start early..."

You've been talking to my brother-in-law?   :D

Over Labor Day weekend, I cracked a morning beer, and one of my sister-in-laws gave me some crap.  I showed her the can and told her that I didn't want to make them liars.

A tradition unrivaled...
MIAC Champions: 1932, 1935, 1936, 1938, 1953, 1962, 1963, 1965, 1971, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1979, 1982, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022
National Champions: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003

USTBench

I know there's been some debate as to whether this weather policy by the MIAC is necessary or overkill and I thought i'd give an example or two:

In 2002 we played St. Norbert. Temp was low 90s and there was 60% humidity. We had a player lose 17lbs that game. A few guys needed IVs. It was a pretty dangerous situation.

In 2001 camp was pretty miserable. It was pretty hot and muggy throughout the duration and we were going full two-a-days (and even one three-a-day: AM pads, PM walk-through in helmets, full scrimmage at night). One night during our big team meeting in the lecture bowl on of our TEs whole body cramped up to the point he was in agony. Paramedics came and he had to have IVs and had to take a few days off to get his hydration back to neutral. And this wasn't a guy chugging Mt. Dew at lunch, he took very good care of himself. Everyone's body is a bit different, and sometimes in certain weather you just need to back off the throttle a bit or be more proactive about water breaks, substitutions or start time. In full pads you're burning off a ton of calories and water on 40 degree days, let alone 90 degree days.

It's one game played a little earlier or a little later. Temps will be mid 60s next week and everything will be back to normal. In my mind these are just smart changes that aren't the end of the world, and will most likely only affect one game every few years.
Augsburg University: 2021 MIAC Spring Football Champions

art76

Quote from: jamtoTommie on September 14, 2018, 11:14:09 AM
Quote from: art76 on September 14, 2018, 10:42:47 AM

I think it makes sense to have the Wet Bulb justification in play as an objective measurement and guideline, and it also makes sense to try to plan ahead and shift games around so that you don't have to make a last second decision when fans have already arrived. I'm looking forward to a 6pm game, as even on 70F days, the stands in mid-afternoon get roasty.

I imagine the sciency types can predict some of the factors that play into the WBGT roughly as well as they do a straight up F measurement so it's not just a total guess.

Jamto, and others,

I'm not disagreeing with what you're saying, about what happens on game day and how it is supposed to be used. What I am trying to point out is that 1) it seems to me to be unenforceable, in large part because the ruling did not fully take into account the administration of the new rule, and 2) it seemed to me to be being used as a justification on initiating the conversation between teams concerning whether or not to play, or to delay/postpone the game. I really am trying to stop up the holes in the dam because I agree its a move in the right direction. It is my opinion it wasn't well thought out in its entirety and as such, lacks teeth and looks silly - ok, maybe silly is too strong a word, but it certainly undermines the ruling.

oldsju67

It's a good thing the MIAC is in MN because if the conference was south of the Mason Dixion Line, no games would be played untill October.  By the way, these rules apply to golf too.  Looking at the formula, the temp and humidity levels where they pull them off the course is when i'm just getting limbered up.  You know the pendulum has swung to far when you're pulling college athletes off the course, yet their grand parents are still teeing off at the same time...
The last shall be first and the  shall be... FIRST AGAIN!!!

art76

I just checked the MIAC website and with a little under two and a half hours to go, neither the Johnnie/Gustie game nor the Knights/Ole game have changed their starting times. Or if they have, the MIAC website has not yet posted them. Watching with interest.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: jamtoTommie on September 14, 2018, 11:14:09 AM
I think it makes sense to have the Wet Bulb justification in play as an objective measurement and guideline.

Yeah -- it makes sense that this is here. Otherwise, if we just use subjective measurements then we'll have widely differing interpretations. I think the conference is open to discussions as to whether 86.1 F/30 C is the right number, but they are confident the approach makes sense.

Quote from: USTBench on September 14, 2018, 11:23:56 AM
In 2001 camp was pretty miserable. It was pretty hot and muggy throughout the duration and we were going full two-a-days (and even one three-a-day: AM pads, PM walk-through in helmets, full scrimmage at night). One night during our big team meeting in the lecture bowl on of our TEs whole body cramped up to the point he was in agony. Paramedics came and he had to have IVs and had to take a few days off to get his hydration back to neutral. And this wasn't a guy chugging Mt. Dew at lunch, he took very good care of himself. Everyone's body is a bit different, and sometimes in certain weather you just need to back off the throttle a bit or be more proactive about water breaks, substitutions or start time. In full pads you're burning off a ton of calories and water on 40 degree days, let alone 90 degree days.

Thanks for this -- this is the sort of thing the general fans (and I) do not get to hear about. Some of the discussion here has only been about keeping student-athletes alive, and I'm thinking that's too low a standard. Maybe we could keep them healthy, too.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

sfury

Quote from: OzJohnnie on September 14, 2018, 12:00:03 AM
Quote from: Reverend MIAC, PhD on September 13, 2018, 07:26:30 PM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on September 13, 2018, 07:12:49 PM
Knowing there would be interesting reactions, I got an interview with Dan McKane, and it will be in tomorrow's podcast.

Based on some of the comments here, you'd think these kids were being paid for services rendered. Since some people here like to reference antiquity, here's something to think about. Question: How did we as a society move from gladiatorial combat to the sport of today? Answer: Incrementally...

Ha!  So the choice is either the complete pussification of football or gladiatorial death matches. There is no other discussion possible?  UST may not have done much to provide a broad liberal, classical education but the certainly seemed to do ok with the hyperbole.

Just think, someday there might be a crazy coach who thinks there shouldn't be tackling in practice or Oklahoma drills that toughen up players and also doesn't believe in practicing in rain, extreme heat or cold. The pussification will be complete then.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: sfury on September 14, 2018, 12:27:28 PM
Knowing there would be interesting reactions, I got an interview with Dan McKane, and it will be in tomorrow's podcast.

Based on some of the comments here, you'd think these kids were being paid for services rendered. Since some people here like to reference antiquity, here's something to think about. Question: How did we as a society move from gladiatorial combat to the sport of today? Answer: Incrementally...

Ha!  So the choice is either the complete pussification of football or gladiatorial death matches. There is no other discussion possible?  UST may not have done much to provide a broad liberal, classical education but the certainly seemed to do ok with the hyperbole.

Just think, someday there might be a crazy coach who thinks there shouldn't be tackling in practice or Oklahoma drills that toughen up players and also doesn't believe in practicing in rain, extreme heat or cold. The pussification will be complete then.

Careful there, sir -- you'll get other Johnnie fans talking about you with that one. :)
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

art76

Quote from: art76 on September 14, 2018, 11:40:53 AM
I just checked the MIAC website and with a little under two and a half hours to go, neither the Johnnie/Gustie game nor the Knights/Ole game have changed their starting times. Or if they have, the MIAC website has not yet posted them. Watching with interest.

Update: The Ole/Knight game is now starting at 11:00 am.

Robert Zimmerman

Quote from: sfury on September 14, 2018, 12:27:28 PM

Or practicing outside when the gnats are bad