Would you rather want a short OOC season or no season?

Started by Shep Messing, July 09, 2020, 07:25:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shep Messing

I have a child who plays for a team who cancelled the season, but there are teams in the conference that may play a shortened season.  Why would schools have a meaningless shortened season at all - why risk any health issues if nothing counts.  Maybe I just don't get it.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Shep Messing on July 09, 2020, 07:25:50 PM
I have a child who plays for a team who cancelled the season, but there are teams in the conference that may play a shortened season.  Why would schools have a meaningless shortened season at all - why risk any health issues if nothing counts.  Maybe I just don't get it.

There are a lot of reasons and some of them start with keeping the schools open for the future. Some schools can't afford to shut down campuses and lose students who will unenroll because the online environment is not their choice - or they can do the same for cheaper somewhere else. If that happens to some, they will be shut down permanently.

Others also value that extra-curricular activities including varsity college sports is an important and valuable outlet and part of the campus life. They will do what they can to allow that opportunity to still exist. They feel they can mitigate the risks and handle the challenges and feel it is important to do so.

There are some which are also located in parts of the country that aren't having as many issues as others - even in the same conference as another. My alma mater has an institution in its conference located outside New York City. Back in March and April things looked different, but now for all parties they feel they can handle those situations better and it isn't as large a threat.

There are also some schools shutting down things because they either don't want to make the effort to provide the opportunity (the idea of cleaning and such is something they don't feel like making an effort on) OR they are more worried about lawsuits from anyone who becomes sick or, god forbid, dies from the virus and wants to blame the school for the infection (I won't even bother with trying to figure out if that is legit or not - it is wide open). So, to mitigate the risk of lawsuits and multi-million-dollar payouts, they figure it is easier and less stressful to shut down sports - even if they have national powerhouse programs.

But it isn't across the board. I know one conference that has a school that shutdown things while another has a world-renown hospital system and scientists associated with it that have indicated the school can make this work ... the other institution had access to the same information and could ask the experts questions and chose a different direction.

To be honest ... I could go on and on with the list of items. The size of a school, the facilities it has to offer (number of locker rooms), the dorm situation (some schools have plenty of space; others do not), private vs public, etc., etc., etc. all lead different institutions to make different decisions. This time around we aren't even seeing conferences really speaking as one, either (yes, there are some who have announced conference-wide plans, but I am told many of those have very long and difficult discussions internally with different opinions from different institutions).

But to your last thing "nothing counts." Nothing has been called off. The post-seasons are still something to play for. Conference AQs exist in all sports and all conferences but one (Centennial football) that I'm aware of. And seasons will still count and mean something to the student-athletes who are competing. So there is still things that count. That hasn't been taken off the table. But even if it had, the outlet for athletes to go out and still have a scrimmage or workout and play with teammates and friends can be a valuable tool and opportunity to escape the rigors of everything and I think a lot of schools take that seriously - especially the mental well being of their athletes.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

PaulNewman

I thought I was done for the evening lol.

Dave, with all due respect, your characterization that schools are opting out because they don't want to go to the trouble of cleaning and/or simply fear lawsuits seems grossly unfair.  Some schools might actually have plenty of resources to clean and for planning/logistics, also have top-notch lawyers at their fingertips, and are not being driven by a fear of lawsuits.  Some actually might be trying to do the right thing.  Those suggestions just seem plain wrong and frankly offensive.  I also saw your argument on this before, but the idea that "rich" schools fear lawsuits but "poor" schools don't because they got nothing to lose seemed shaky as well.

And Hopkins having students back does NOT mean they have endorsed athletics.  Other schools are bringing back students but cancelling Fall sports.

I thought the guy's comment and question were totally reasonable.  I could see some kids go back who once they see what it turns out to be are saying "I came back for this?"   Maybe you are right and there will be a NCAA tournament, but there is no way you could go back to school presuming that a tournament will happen.  And while many may not regret whatever happens if they go back based on the idea that they will be playing, I can't imagine that some won't be seriously disappointed if the season is substantially less than they anticipated.

PaulNewman

Life is so strange.  I'm wondering if I'm the only person on the site who didn't register with the name 'Shep Messing.'  And I was protecting him as a newbie (although I also agreed with him)!  Fortunately I have been told I handle abject embarrassment pretty well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shep_Messing

Addendum:  Oh, and the ONLY reason I caught this is because I was flipping around on the MLS games and he's the ESPN commentator right NOW for KC vs Colorado.  And does regular television commentary for the Red Bulls.