FB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CardinalAlum

Quote from: USee on October 22, 2014, 01:07:22 PM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on October 22, 2014, 12:51:27 PM
On the other hand, since the tourney expanded to 32 teams, has a 9-1 CCIW team EVER failed to make pool C?

No, Which is why I am preparing us for the possibility this year. It's actually more of a probability at this point since a 9-1 Wheaton would have a pathetic SOS due to the poor non conference teams we played. Our SOS is currently 202nd out of 246 D3 teams

But that SOS should take a jump after this weekend. 
D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  ** D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **   D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 2022

USee

It's actually at the lowest point it will be. Should rise every week. Unfortunately it doesn't have the mathematical power to get Wheaton into a competitive range with other Pool C candidates. That's simply a product of the poor September performance of the CCIW and the relatively weak schedule we all played (except NCC)

TitanPride

Per the Pantagraph, Donovan Laible is injured and will not start at QB against Elmhurst.  Outside chance Jack Warner gets cleared to play but sounds like IWU will be starting their 4th QB of the season.

http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/college/football/staying-outside-perfectly-fine-for-iwu-s-klein/article_5045b18c-bac2-5af7-a414-3b7bef78a19f.html

USee

thunderdog

Is it Saturday yet?

C'mon all you Thunderbackers, let's get loud @ McCully Stadium and cheer for our TEAM.  Be ready to get rowdy!!!

CardinalAlum

Quote from: thunderdog on October 23, 2014, 01:27:03 PM
Is it Saturday yet?

C'mon all you Thunderbackers, let's get loud @ McCully Stadium and cheer for our TEAM.  Be ready to get rowdy!!!

Why start this year?   :P ;D

Seriously, this is the least confident I have felt going into a Wheaton game in a few years.  This is a huge week for some young Cards to step up their game.  Wheaton's LB's are very good and could be the key to controlling the Cardinal running game.  Cardinal WR's will have to make a couple of big plays in this game.  It's good to have Sorenson out there for sure.  Now we just have to find a way to get him the ball.   
D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  ** D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **   D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 2022

USee

I think the Thunder Defense matches up well with NCC, but I am not confident they will hold them under 3-4 scores. My biggest concern is for the Thunder offense. I am simply not sure how they are going to score points. They don't have speed and lack consistency at QB. They average 3.7 yds per rush. I don't have a lot of confidence all of this will improve against NCC, who has the leading run defense in the conference.

Wheaton will need to hold NCC to 14 pts and then figure out how to score on special teams or defense. If NCC scores 24 you can phone it in.

izzy stradlin

Quote from: CardinalAlum on October 23, 2014, 01:37:56 PM
Quote from: thunderdog on October 23, 2014, 01:27:03 PM
Is it Saturday yet?

Why start this year?   :P ;D

Seriously, this is the least confident I have felt going into a Wheaton game in a few years.  This is a huge week for some young Cards to step up their game.  Wheaton's LB's are very good and could be the key to controlling the Cardinal running game.  Cardinal WR's will have to make a couple of big plays in this game.  It's good to have Sorenson out there for sure.  Now we just have to find a way to get him the ball.

I don't think either side feels confident this year which has led to this board being as quiet as ever for Bell week.  I am pretty sure this stems from the uncertainty both schools have had at QB1.

From a Wheaton viewpoint, I agree with USee's concerns.  I am interested to see how NCC runs the ball against the Wheaton defense and which QB can make plays.   

AndOne

Quote from: TitanPride on October 23, 2014, 10:18:19 AM
Per the Pantagraph, Donovan Laible is injured and will not start at QB against Elmhurst.  Outside chance Jack Warner gets cleared to play but sounds like IWU will be starting their 4th QB of the season.

http://www.pantagraph.com/sports/college/football/staying-outside-perfectly-fine-for-iwu-s-klein/article_5045b18c-bac2-5af7-a414-3b7bef78a19f.html

This is almost too hard to believe. When is the last time a team started 4 different QBs in the same season? Never?
Not to wish any ill-will to Mr. Warner, but if he can't play, it will be interesting to see who will be named as QB #4.

79jaybird

I'm going to play the pessimist here-  Yes, one may think IWU is going to be in trouble with the QB situation.  I look at it from the standpoint, we haven't won in BN since 1985 and have recently been to IWU where the Titans were in tough spots.  Still,  IWU's defense has been strong enough to beat us.  I still think the key matchup Saturday is going to be Elmhurst ability/inability to run the ball and the Titan DL/LB's.  If IWU can make Elmhurst 1 dimensional, that favors the Titans.   For Elmhurst this is a good opportunity to steal a road W and keep the recent success going.  Winnable- perhaps, but they need to execute
VOICE OF THE BLUEJAYS '01-'10
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS 1978 1980 2012
CCIW BASKETBALL CHAMPIONS 2001
2022 BASKETBALL NATIONAL RUNNER UP
2018 CCIW PICK EM'S CHAMPION

D3gridiron

The QB carousel at Wheaton continues and may be a deciding factor in the big game this Saturday night.  Wheaton has now started three different QB's in six games.  As some have already observed, Peltz was quick to tuck the ball and run last week - understandable since I believe last week was the sophomore's first college start in his career.   The offense sputtered a bit last week, and points didn't come until late in the game.  Although it didn't help Peltz's cause that Wheaton missed two more field goals last week on drives that stalled within range.

All three of Wheaton's QB's have different strengths and weaknesses, which can make it difficult to draw direct comparisons between them.  But on the intangible side of things, their senior QB, Butler, seems to have the best overall understanding and be the best leader of the Wheaton offense  (it's just tough to replace competent senior leadership).  So Butler could be a logical choice for the big game.  We will see who they decide to start at QB.  This decision will play a very important role going into Saturday night's game.

USee

Quote from: D3gridiron on October 23, 2014, 03:53:51 PM
The QB carousel at Wheaton continues and may be a deciding factor in the big game this Saturday night.  Wheaton has now started three different QB's in six games.  As some have already observed, Peltz was quick to tuck the ball and run last week - understandable since I believe last week was the sophomore's first college start in his career.   The offense sputtered a bit last week, and points didn't come until late in the game.  Although it didn't help Peltz's cause that Wheaton missed two more field goals last week on drives that stalled within range.

All three of Wheaton's QB's have different strengths and weaknesses, which can make it difficult to draw direct comparisons between them.  But on the intangible side of things, their senior QB, Butler, seems to have the best overall understanding and be the best leader of the Wheaton offense  (it's just tough to replace competent senior leadership).  So Butler could be a logical choice for the big game.  We will see who they decide to start at QB.  This decision will play a very important role going into Saturday night's game.

Well, judging from the actions of the coaches rather than the speculation of us fans, it appears that Andrew Bowers is their choice. 3 games ago he started against North Park and Peltz was playing receiver. Butler played the second half of the NPU game. Bowers started against Augie and was unimpressive. Butler came in late and finished the game. Then Peltz starts and plays whole game against Millikin. Those are the facts so the question is "why"?

I am speculating that they went with Bowers because they felt like he was their best chance. Bowers got hurt vs NPU so Butler came back in. Bowers started against Augie and played poorly. Butler replaced him after Wheaton had gotten the lead back, which leads me to believe he "re-injured" whatever was bothering him. Otherwise why do you replace a QB who is playing poorly after you take the lead back? Then, against Millikin we see Peltz for the whole game with no sign of Butler. So you don't move Peltz back from receiver to play QB if you think Bowers is ok or if you are fine with Bulter. That makes me think Bowers is still hurt. So for this week, I suspect it's Bowers if he is healthy and Peltz if he is not. But I really have no clue.

ExTartanPlayer

Quote from: AndOne on October 23, 2014, 02:54:58 PM
Quote from: TitanPride on October 23, 2014, 10:18:19 AM

This is almost too hard to believe. When is the last time a team started 4 different QBs in the same season? Never?

Maryland had a ridiculously bad run of luck with QB injuries a few seasons ago (2012):

Presumptive starter C.J. Brown tore his ACL in the preseason (I guess he wouldn't count because he didn't play in a game).
Perry Hills started six games before tearing his ACL.
Devin Burns started the next game and broke his foot, missing the rest of the season.
Caleb Rowe started the next game and tore his ACL.
Shawn Petty, a true freshman that was recruited as a LB and was being redshirted, had to start the final four games of the season.

In a related story, Maryland went 4-8.
I was small but made up for it by being slow...

http://athletics.cmu.edu/sports/fball/2011-12/releases/20120629a4jaxa

D3gridiron

Quote from: USee on October 23, 2014, 04:24:45 PM
Quote from: D3gridiron on October 23, 2014, 03:53:51 PM

Well, judging from the actions of the coaches rather than the speculation of us fans, it appears that Andrew Bowers is their choice. 3 games ago he started against North Park and Peltz was playing receiver. Butler played the second half of the NPU game. Bowers started against Augie and was unimpressive. Butler came in late and finished the game. Then Peltz starts and plays whole game against Millikin. Those are the facts so the question is "why"?

I am speculating that they went with Bowers because they felt like he was their best chance. Bowers got hurt vs NPU so Butler came back in. Bowers started against Augie and played poorly. Butler replaced him after Wheaton had gotten the lead back, which leads me to believe he "re-injured" whatever was bothering him. Otherwise why do you replace a QB who is playing poorly after you take the lead back? Then, against Millikin we see Peltz for the whole game with no sign of Butler. So you don't move Peltz back from receiver to play QB if you think Bowers is ok or if you are fine with Bulter. That makes me think Bowers is still hurt. So for this week, I suspect it's Bowers if he is healthy and Peltz if he is not. But I really have no clue.

I never would have guessed that. I assumed Bowers was probably out of the conversation since he didn't play at all last week, but I didn't think about an injury possibility since I didn't read anything about that. But I have no clue either. Thanks for your insight. It will be interesting to see which QB they choose.

AndOne

THOUGHTS ON NCC @ WC

* NCC gladly gets their #1 RB, Ryan Kent back for this game, after his being held out last week following a minor injury 2 weeks ago. WC has a very good RB in Jesse Geary, but in direct comparison he has about 100 less rushing yards in one more game played than Kent. However Geary has the skill to have a great game at any time as evidenced by last year's NCC game in which he was excellent.
I sense the factor that can tilt the running game in the Cardinal's favor can be their depth. As good as Kent is, and remember he is coming off a week of inactivity, the Cards have 3 other very good backs. Speedy/shifty O'Shayne Brown had 84 yards on only 7 carries, a 12.0 average, last week. For the season he is averaging  6.1. Powerful Zach Pattat checks in at 5.3, and versatile Matt Randolph, also a very good receiver out of the backfield, runs for a whopping 7.2 average.
Little do I know, but while Ryan Kent should be the primary back, I feel liberal employment of all these guys will cause the WC run defense fits, considering the unique primary skill set each brings to the action.

* Both QBs are inexperienced. I don't know enough about Peltz to comment. NCC's Warden has misfired to a number of wide open receivers. He needs to set his feet and step into his throws. When he fails to find an open target or isn't well protected by the O line, he is an excellent escape artist, averaging almost 6 yards a carry. Which young QB will maintain his poise and deliver in the clutch?

* From what I have read about the WC D, it seems their strength is great LB play from ALL 3 backers. I would guess they will usually pack the box in an attempt to stuff the Cards ground game. If so, the Redbird receivers need to find space/seams over the LBs and in front of or between the WC DB zones, and Warden needs to control his usual initial happy feet tendency, set and find the open man, and HIT him.

* NCC does well in stopping the run. Not so well vs the pass. If WC insists on running I think they play to NCC's hand. Rather it seems the Orange need to use the pass to set up the run rather than vice versa. Getting the Red D thinking pass might well open some space and allow Geary to get to the second level.

* I see the very real possibility of a close game wherein 3 sub plots beyond the obvious running and passing totals may well be the deciding factors.

1. Turnovers. If either team can force +2 TOs, they likely win. If one can get to +3, I think you almost certainly have a winner.
2. BIG plays. Whether by pass, run, or return, if one team can break +2 big plays, it will go a long way in contributing to a W.
3. The kicking game. Which kicker can hit the pressure FG? Which punter can employ hang time and directional kicking to help keep the other bottled up in their own end?