FB: Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Adam Sayer, December 24, 2006, 10:01:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JacketsFan

Cave2bens and altor, the brownies in the DC stands after TDs got their start two or three years back. I think Mike Brancheau's mom and Ryan Sloan's mom started doing it. I remember sitting next to one of them at a game where DC put up a bunch of points and getting stuffed on brownies. I think it was Anderson or Hanover. But that was BHA (Before Heart Attack). I'd have to take a pass on them now.

Speaking of the announcer, Cave2bens and altor, I was listening to the podcast down here in Florida and the regular sports announcer had this annoying way of saying "and complete" when referring to passes. It sounded like he was saying "incomplete" then you'd learn that there was a pass completion. He said it every time and it was pretty frustrating trying to decipher what he was talking about. DC put up some pretty good numbers Saturday but they'd better get their secondary up and running. They gave up way to many big plays. And Vetter - dammit! He's actually a pretty good QB in the pocket or when he runs the ball (tough little bastard) but every time he rolls out, he throws off his back foot and it's usually for a pic. DC has three pretty good targets at wideout and Vetter is starting to rotate them. When someone plays man or zone coverage on Dillon, he throws to Dillon because all Luke has to do is jum two feet and he's already eight and a half feet in the air. By the time he sticks his arms up, he's eleven feet up there. Kinda hard to cover that. If they double team Dillon, Vetter can throw to Gary Allen or Nate Fitton.  I like this Thornton kid at running back, too. A freshman, no less.

Sayer, you should've been down here for the past couple of weeks. We had a red tide. The beach was piled up a foot deep in rotting fish carcasses. It smelled like the dirty uniform hamper of a women's basketball team. Uggghhh!

Hey, you DC guys, I don't hear from you anymore. What gives?

I was planning to get up for the RHIT game but plans fell through. Maybe later in the season now.

Stillmsj: Let me get this right. Did you say you're a cheerleader now? I see your lad Rason Lewis ain't exactly setting the world on fire at McMurry.

dc_has_been

Second to Dillon on the DC squad is 13 catches for Gary Allen.  Have other teams started to double cover Dillon yet or is he just that good that he can't be stopped?  

How about Rupp's 72% passing w/ only 1 int & 14 td's!  Could you imagine Dillon & Rupp together on the same squad?  

Besides personal stats, this is a huge week for the HCAC.  MSJ vs. Franklin, both are getting some votes for top 25 & both seem to be getting stronger as the season carries on.  My prediction was that Franklin would take this one at the beginning of the season & I'm still thinking that, but MSJ has shown me a lot more than what I first thought of them.  Overall, I'm guessing that this will be a great game & I look forward to reading a lot of smack between victory & the MSJ faithful.  
"If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging."
Will Rogers
"If God had wanted man to play soccer, he wouldn't have given us arms."
Mike Ditka

cave2bens

Quote from: JacketsFan on October 08, 2007, 09:17:42 PM

Speaking of the announcer, Cave2bens and altor, I was listening to the podcast down here in Florida and the regular sports announcer had this annoying way of saying "and complete" when referring to passes. It sounded like he was saying "incomplete" then you'd learn that there was a pass completion. He said it every time and it was pretty frustrating trying to decipher what he was talking about...

Joe,

There must be inherent (not inherited) problems with southerners trying to comprehend proper, midwestern elocution when the broadcast crosses the Mason-Dixon.  I was plagued with a similar auditory impairment.  Per Altor's comment, don't imagine many OH football fanatics expect (or accept) 90 degree, October afternoons, and perhaps that accounted for the diction discrepancies...  ;D  With the EtOH bans @ Defiance, we can't blame that... I'd have never survived  ;)
"Forever more as in days of yore Their deeds be noble and grand"

SaintsFAN

Speaking of male cheerleading....

ONLY would an ex Mount St Joe player become a cheerleader.  Says something about whats going on up there in Delhi.  My God...
(yes, Sayer....I had to go there)  Reminds me of the South Park episode where the kids had to attend the Museum of Tolerance because Mr. Garrison decides to try to get fired for choosing to 'bat from the side of the plate he bats from'

Sayer, btw that Golds is right by my house now....I mean seriously right across the street.  There are many wonderful bars in the area....maybe after one of your workouts we could hit up the Pub. 

has_been,

I don't think there'll be smack talk from the MSJ guys (see note on cheerleading above). 

Also...rumor has it they've been disguising Dillon as a referree on some plays, a ball boy for a few others and a member of the chain gang for the rest of the plays where his number is called.  I think if the HCAC and NCAA catch onto this and FORCE Defiance to paint the same boundary lines around their field that everyone else has to have.....Dillon should be able to be stopped.  At that point, it will be up to Taylor through some creative methods utilizing film study (ala the Patriots)...to keep getting him the ball.

AMC Champs: 1991-1992-1993-1994-1995
HCAC Champs: 2000, 2001
PAC Champs:  2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Bridge Bowl Champs:  1990-1991-1992-1993-1994-1995-2002-2003-2006-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012-2013 (SERIES OVER)
Undefeated: 1991, 1995, 2001, 2009, 2010, 2015
Instances where MSJ quit the Bridge Bowl:  2

SaintsFAN

My ex just informed me that she's getting us two tickets to the South Carolina/Tennessee tilt in Knoxville on October 27th.  That should be great fun, as I get to cross a stadium off my "list" of ones to see...

Good topic for here:

Whats your "list"??

Mine was:

The Coliseum (USC)     -  BEEN THERE
Memorial Stadium (Cal-Berkley)
Husky Stadium (UW)
Memorial Stadium (Illinois)
Notre Dame Stadium     -  BEEN THERE
The Big House
The Horse Shoe      - BEEN THERE
Tiger Stadium (LSU)
Tiger Stadium (Clemson)
Neyland Stadium (Tennessee)
The Swamp (Florida)
Rose Bowl
Autzen Stadium (Oregon)

Bridge Bowl Champs:  1990-1991-1992-1993-1994-1995-2002-2003-2006-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012-2013 (SERIES OVER)

altor

Quote from: cave2bens on October 08, 2007, 11:40:29 PM
With the EtOH bans @ Defiance, we can't blame that... I'd have never survived  ;)

You apparently don't know that the Board passed a new alcohol policy beginning with last school year.  The College even had a beer tent out on Webster St before the game on Saturday!

Dillon is getting his share of opportunities.  Early in the game against RHIT, he just ran right by the defense.  Vetter just had to get the ball to him.  Vetter stopped throwing the ball downfield in the second half.  I think the heat got to him more than anybody else on the field (this last part is very much speculation on my part).

I've been to the last 3 games.  I don't remember Thornton being such a key part of the offense as he was on Saturday.  I hope it's a good sign of things to come.  I'll take 6.7 yards/carry every Saturday.

cave2bens

Quote from: altor on October 09, 2007, 01:35:45 PM
Quote from: cave2bens on October 08, 2007, 11:40:29 PM
With the EtOH bans @ Defiance, we can't blame that... I'd have never survived  ;)

You apparently don't know that the Board passed a new alcohol policy beginning with last school year.  The College even had a beer tent out on Webster St before the game on Saturday!

Actually alcohol ban was in reference to game site, and very much aware of new policy...
Might be surprised as to which "whos, what's, and where're" are known  ;)

Great List, Saints Fan -

I'd only add several others:

Either DK Royal TX Memorial Stadium or Kyle Field for Horns/Aggies
Bryant-Denny Stadium in Tuscaloosa
Sanford Stadium in Athens (GA, not OU's)

wally_wabash

Quote from: SaintsFAN on October 09, 2007, 12:30:58 PM
My ex just informed me that she's getting us two tickets to the South Carolina/Tennessee tilt in Knoxville on October 27th.  That should be great fun, as I get to cross a stadium off my "list" of ones to see...

Lucky you...I've been to Neyland.  You won't be disappointed.  Knoxville is amazing on game day!
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

SaintsFAN

Thats what she said...I can't wait. 

She still tells the story of how they rushed the field to tear down the goalposts after the win over Florida in 1998..

victorybell_57

texas or texas a&m would be great choices. i have heard wonderful things about lsu at night. tennessee is insane as well.

some other ones you may not have thought of that i have heard great reviews for:

boise st (great game day atmosphere)
vanderbilt (great football coming in, very festive)
penn st (happy valley rocks on game days)
iowa (50/50 from people)
alabama or auburn (friends have loved both places, any place in the south is tremendous for tailgating as well)

could we be seeing nippert stadium up here soon??

altor

cave2bens:
I'm not ignoring your PMs.  Apparently, I don't have enough posts yet to send even a reply back to you.  I guess I'll just have to keep posting. :P

I've only ever been to one I-A stadium on game day, so I can't add much to this conversation, especially since that one was a night game at the Glass Bowl in Toledo when I was about 10 years old.

I've been in the 'Shoe when the OHSAA State track meet used to be held there, but not for game day.

cave2bens

No sweat, Altor.  I believe (and trust me, someone will jump in if necessary) the Site Administrator (PC, himself?) put some restrictions on new members to eliminate some shenanigans that had occurred with abuse.  Sorry I cannot recall more specifics.

Two other game day stadiums that rock - if you can stand all the red...

Camp Randall in Madison, Wisconsin
Memorial Stadium in Lincoln, Nebraska

Wouldn't attire yourself in Gamecock Maroon and Black, SF.  Tennessee probably hates Spurrier more than the Bulldog faithful in Athens.  Copper Kettle, in downtown Knoxville, has some pretty good eats and beers.  Ear plugs are a necessity if bored with three, constant renditions of "Rocky Top" (and ex's rancor???)

dc_has_been

Other than the Big House I think Autzen Stadium is an awesome stadium & has a great game day atmosphere.
"If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging."
Will Rogers
"If God had wanted man to play soccer, he wouldn't have given us arms."
Mike Ditka

JacketsFan

Bob, as you so aptly noted, there does, indeed, seem to be some sort of atmospheric phenomena affecting the radio transmissions of speech patterns north and south of the Mason-Dixon Line. I would imaging that quaffing extreme quantities of certain fermented beverage consisting of hops, malt and water might have a direct effect on this atmospheric oddity, but I think it's also quite possible that people "down heah" talk like we've got a mouth full of hot grits and our ears just ain't accustomed to the Cream of Wheat linguistics in yon northern climes. What say you, brother? ;D

Ben, I'd love to see Dillon and Rupp teamed up. I think that would qualify as a holy shyte moment.

Having said that, I am no longer sure Franklin will take the cake this season. It would seem that MSJ is now capable of putting up respectable amounts of points (now that they have a real QB ramrodding the ball) and their defense is still on fire. Both teams can put up points. The question is now, who has the better D. That I think still belongs to MSJ and I think it might carry the day. Still, it will be a great game and I predict it'll be decided by a touchdown or less.

Unless the MSJ guys all show up in their cheerleader outfits, then all bets are off.

Sayer, how's you family doing? Be sure to tell your mom I said hello.

StillMSJ

Quote from: SaintsFAN on October 09, 2007, 08:19:25 AMONLY would an ex Mount St Joe player become a cheerleader.  Says something about whats going on up there in Delhi.  My God...
Nothing a partial scholarship and chance to toss around a bunch of hot chicks wouldn't do to convince anyone else to do the same.  Other than the weightloss, it speaks more to the type of athlete MSJ can make you, if you even knew how hard it is to do a back tuck or hold someone above you with one arm.  8)
But like Hubie used to say, "we're not all about that highschool 'RA RA' bull****."

Back to the game, MSJ will beat Frankling in the second half pending a lack of mistakes and turnovers.  From the poise I witnessed up at AU, the Lions offense has their **** together and its more than likely the Hubie will have them ready and serious.  Pete Carrol can assure us that in this game, on all levels, anything can happen.  Go Lions.