Ejay

Quote from: Shooter McGavin on November 07, 2017, 09:51:32 AM
Quote from: D3soccerwatcher on November 07, 2017, 09:43:45 AM
My early prediction for the Final Four:
North Park
Calvin
Rowan
Messiah

Rowan couldn't even win the NJAC...what makes you think they will survive the toughest quadrant of the bracket?  ???

Nor could Messiah win the Commonwealth.  I really don't think winning a conference title means a whole lot.

PaulNewman

North Park
Calvin
Rowan
Messiah

Rowan couldn't even win the NJAC...what makes you think they will survive the toughest quadrant of the bracket?  ???

IMO Rowan has the 2nd worst draw in the tournament after JCU, and of course you could argue the same for Hopkins, which, given their season, I change my vote to Hopkins.

Shooter McGavin

Quote from: EB2319 on November 07, 2017, 10:00:32 AM
North Park
Calvin
Rowan
Messiah

Nor could Messiah win the Commonwealth.  I really don't think winning a conference title means a whole lot.

If you noticed I don't have Messiah or Rowan in my final 4  ;)

Shooter McGavin

Messiah also has a cake walk to the elite 8

Shooter McGavin

Quote from: PaulNewman on November 07, 2017, 10:00:38 AM
North Park
Calvin
Rowan
Messiah

IMO Rowan has the 2nd worst draw in the tournament after JCU, and of course you could argue the same for Hopkins, which, given their season, I change my vote to Hopkins.

Yes

Hopkins92

Quote from: EB2319 on November 06, 2017, 02:50:36 PM
Two 1st round games I'd most like to watch are:
Rowan/JHU
Dickinson/Emory

I'm nothing if not parochial... Hopkins plays Desale in the first round, Rowan plays Cabrini.

I'm intrigued by the F&M/Drew match.

Ejay

Quote from: Shooter McGavin on November 07, 2017, 09:59:48 AM
Quote from: EB2319 on November 06, 2017, 09:36:21 PM
Quote from: Mr.Right on November 06, 2017, 09:21:57 PM
Quote from: EB2319 on November 06, 2017, 06:35:10 PM
early prediction, before giving it a ton of thought:
W&L
Lynchburg
Rowan
Oneonta

I will take any odds you give me that none of those teams are in the Final 4

Let me guess, you're going out on a limb and picking a Tufts v. Messiah semi-final?

I don't mind the Oneonta pick but having both W&L and Lynchburg in the Final 4, from the same conference, is a head scratcher but we will see what happens. Don't think Rowan gets out of the Sweet 16 let alone the entire quadrant.

Yes, this was done without too much thought.  Just a quick glance at the brackets.  I've seen W&L 2x and really liked them.  I'm not terribly impressed with Lynchburg's bracket so why not them? The Rowan bracket is brutal and honestly it's a toss-up who comes out of there. Part of me probably picked Rowan just to annoy all the haters.  And I'm not sold on Messiah at all.  I think they get bounced early via a set piece which they can't defend.

PaulNewman

Quote from: Shooter McGavin on November 07, 2017, 10:02:30 AM
Messiah also has a cake walk to the elite 8

Agreed.  Other best draws go to North Park and W&L (who gets to host after not winning regular season or conf tourney) with clear path the Sweet 16 and a shot at North Park.

Interesting that so many are picking Calvin.  I'm a huge Calvin fan and picked them to beat Tufts in national semis a couple of weeks ago.  However, I DO NOT LIKE their draw.  They have a very back and forth history with OWU (and OWU took Calvin to OT earlier this season AT CALVIN when OWU wasn't particularly good) and if JCU gets by OWU then Calvin gets a strong JCU team on JCU's turf.  Then there is still Chicago out there looming.

Shooter McGavin

Quote from: EB2319 on November 07, 2017, 10:05:29 AM
Quote from: Shooter McGavin on November 07, 2017, 09:59:48 AM
Quote from: EB2319 on November 06, 2017, 09:36:21 PM
W&L
Lynchburg
Rowan
Oneonta

Let me guess, you're going out on a limb and picking a Tufts v. Messiah semi-final?

I don't mind the Oneonta pick but having both W&L and Lynchburg in the Final 4, from the same conference, is a head scratcher but we will see what happens. Don't think Rowan gets out of the Sweet 16 let alone the entire quadrant.

Yes, this was done without too much thought.  Just a quick glance at the brackets.  I've seen W&L 2x and really liked them.  I'm not terribly impressed with Lynchburg's bracket so why not them? The Rowan bracket is brutal and honestly it's a toss-up who comes out of there. Part of me probably picked Rowan just to annoy all the haters.  And I'm not sold on Messiah at all.  I think they get bounced early via a set piece which they can't defend.

It is just rare to see 2 teams from the same conference meet in the tourney let alone the final 4. I don't recall the last time that happened. A lot needs to go right for W&L to meet is all I was trying  to point out. Anyone is capable at this point to make a run. It's a magical time of year!

Ejay

Quote from: Hopkins92 on November 07, 2017, 10:04:01 AM
Quote from: EB2319 on November 06, 2017, 02:50:36 PM
Two 1st round games I'd most like to watch are:
Rowan/JHU
Dickinson/Emory

I'm nothing if not parochial... Hopkins plays Desale in the first round, Rowan plays Cabrini.

I'm intrigued by the F&M/Drew match.

Whoops - my bad.  I think everyone is intrigued by Drew.  They haven't lost. I've seen them and they are legit. 

rudy

Quote from: EB2319 on November 07, 2017, 10:00:32 AM
North Park
Calvin
Rowan
Messiah

Look no further than Tufts..2 National Championships and lost in quarter finals of NESCAC tourney each year.  They may be in trouble this year though since they won the NESCAC tournament.  That said... Rowan has a tough road to the Final 4. I don't think they will make it.

bestfancle

At 5:30 on Friday, OWU plays at JCU. A rematch of the the most exciting game I saw all year (although not the best defense)...

In early September OWU traveled to JCU and lost 5-4 in overtime. At the start of the second half, JCU scored to make it 3-1, with OWU's only goal coming off a weird long throw in that didn't seem to hit anyone on OWU but deflect off of a JCU player into the net. I though the game was over. OWU showed true determination an clawed back, scoring 3 times in the 2nd half. Two of the goals came within one minute of each-other and OWU was up 4-3. With 3 minutes left in the game JCU headed the ball towards goal only for OWU to make a great save, it was only on the rebound that JCU was able to score and tie the game up. Onto overtime both teams were exhausted and created a couple chances, JCU may have been slightly better in OT after struggling in the 2nd half. In the 109th minute JCU's All-American Candidate Jesse Marinaro got higher than any of the OWU defenders to head the ball home, which is impressive because he's not a very tall guy.

Since that game, JCU has still been good, but has fallen victim to a few OAC teams. They will need to play much stronger, and should be more motivated after getting knocked out of the NCAA tournament in the first round last year. OWU looks much better than they did early on this season, and are coming off a must-win conference championship game against a formidable Kenyon (who also looks better towards the end of the season).

So... long story short... if you aren't doing anything on Friday at 5:30 this should be a great game to watch, and the winner will most likely face Calvin the next day!

firstplaceloser

W&L
Lynchburg
Rowan
Oneonta

I agree with Me Right here. for once lol

Mr.Right

Quote from: bestfancle on November 07, 2017, 10:29:36 AM
At 5:30 on Friday, OWU plays at JCU. A rematch of the the most exciting game I saw all year (although not the best defense)...

In early September OWU traveled to JCU and lost 5-4 in overtime. At the start of the second half, JCU scored to make it 3-1, with OWU's only goal coming off a weird long throw in that didn't seem to hit anyone on OWU but deflect off of a JCU player into the net. I though the game was over. OWU showed true determination an clawed back, scoring 3 times in the 2nd half. Two of the goals came within one minute of each-other and OWU was up 4-3. With 3 minutes left in the game JCU headed the ball towards goal only for OWU to make a great save, it was only on the rebound that JCU was able to score and tie the game up. Onto overtime both teams were exhausted and created a couple chances, JCU may have been slightly better in OT after struggling in the 2nd half. In the 109th minute JCU's All-American Candidate Jesse Marinaro got higher than any of the OWU defenders to head the ball home, which is impressive because he's not a very tall guy.

Since that game, JCU has still been good, but has fallen victim to a few OAC teams. They will need to play much stronger, and should be more motivated after getting knocked out of the NCAA tournament in the first round last year. OWU looks much better than they did early on this season, and are coming off a must-win conference championship game against a formidable Kenyon (who also looks better towards the end of the season).

So... long story short... if you aren't doing anything on Friday at 5:30 this should be a great game to watch, and the winner will most likely face Calvin the next day!

I remember watching this game because JCU was undefeated at the time and was curious. I was thoroughly impressed with JCU's explosiveness in this game especially with the striker and midfielder who's names reminded me of an all pasta team. Unfortunately, I turned to another game when JCU was in control 3-1 and I missed OWU's comeback and all the goals that went with it. I do remember being very impressed with how JCU looked on their turf. I'll be tuning in again but would have to think that OWU will be much more organized defensively this time around.

firstplaceloser

i'm going with: North Park, Calvin, Amherst, Lycoming

and Calvin winning

really wanted to go with Messiah but wanted to change it up a little