MBB: American Rivers Conference

Started by sidelines, May 02, 2005, 09:03:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Show

Quote from: trey1919 on March 03, 2009, 09:51:43 AM
Show,
You sensed hostility in my post?

Yes, since up to that point your only two posts on this board have been about how terrible officiating handed Coe a win earlier in the year and now BV is arrogant because they got knocked off by Wartburg in the conference tourny.

Are you a former player at BV?

Yes, but not in hoops.  Although I did win an IM basketball championship one year...  8)

Because last years success seemed to be where both you and the current team were content at hanging your hats.

You've obviously never met or had a conversation with Coach VH.
Sometimes You're the Windshield & Sometimes You're the Bug!

3baller

From Coach VH's blog.... http://web.bvu.edu/blogs/coachescorner/entry/this_is_not_how_it

"This is not How it was Supposed to End

I am very sorry to all of our fans with how the season ended.  A lot of upsets in the country on Saturday kept us out of the tournament.  You would think, being the 9th ranked team in the country would get into the tournament, but the criteria they go by did not go in our favor.  The problem I have with the process, is that you can't reward a team for losses.  I understand if a team has a higher strength of schedule index, and they may have 5 losses and we have 3.  I can live with that.  But Brandeis was 17-8 and got in.  That is like saying to the 4th place team in our league, that because you had some close losses, we will reward you with a tie for the league championship.  That is not how it should work.  Our non-conference schedule went against us this year.  But how was I supposed to know that when I signed the contract with Wisconsin Stout, that they would go from National Tournament team to last place.  Gustavus is always a tough team and always in the regional rankings, this year they were .500.  Our budgets are set and we can't travel all over just to find teams with winning records two years in advance.  In the end, the team I have the most problem with making the tournament is Baruch, from New York City.  We had a higher OWP (Opponents Winning Percentage), a higher winning perecentage in region, but they had one win against a ranked region opponent.  We won 2 out of 3 in the committee's criteria, but they still took Baruch.  I have a problem with that one.  At some point, you would think you would take a look objectively and say that a 20-3 region record from a team that beat St. Thomas, Stevens Point, and took the eventual National Champs to OT last year in the National Tournament, with the same players as last year, deserves to be in, and no one, I mean no one can dispute that.  "

Alfredeneumann

UW- SP beats Cornell 61-53. No points in final 3:34 for the Rams. Were tied @ 53 before the scoring drought to end the game.
Aaron Kampman on Coach Ed Thomas
I believe his greatest legacy comes not in how many football games he won or lost but in the fact that he was a committed follower of Jesus Christ.

Just Bill

Quote from: 3baller on March 05, 2009, 10:53:29 AM
From Coach VH's blog.... http://web.bvu.edu/blogs/coachescorner/entry/this_is_not_how_it

At some point, you would think you would take a look objectively and say that a 20-3 region record from a team that beat St. Thomas, Stevens Point, and took the eventual National Champs to OT last year in the National Tournament, with the same players as last year, deserves to be in, and no one, I mean no one can dispute that.  "

I was with him until the last sentence.  Last year is last year and rightfully has no bearing on this year.  He made a very strong case for his team otherwise, but pointing to last year means nothing.
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

Alfredeneumann

Quote from: Just Bill on March 06, 2009, 11:45:16 PM

At some point, you would think you would take a look objectively and say that a 20-3 region record from a team that beat St. Thomas, Stevens Point, and took the eventual National Champs to OT last year in the National Tournament, with the same players as last year, deserves to be in, and no one, I mean no one can dispute that.  "

I was with him until the last sentence.  Last year is last year and rightfully has no bearing on this year.  He made a very strong case for his team otherwise, but pointing to last year means nothing.

Maybe he did a better job coaching last year. ;) ;) ;)
Aaron Kampman on Coach Ed Thomas
I believe his greatest legacy comes not in how many football games he won or lost but in the fact that he was a committed follower of Jesus Christ.

BV07

How can you not follow the last sentence? He made it very clear.

BV has the same players as last year. The team that played the National Champs to OT have another year of experience under their belt, so why wouldn't anyone (the committee) realize the Beavers deserved a spot in the tourney?

Pat Coleman

It can be disputed because last year isn't part of this year's selection criteria, whereas losing to Gustavus and losing twice to Wartburg is.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

larry_u

Quote from: BV07 on March 12, 2009, 10:39:20 PM

BV has the same players as last year. The team that played the National Champs to OT have another year of experience under their belt, so why wouldn't anyone (the committee) realize the Beavers deserved a spot in the tourney?

Quote from: Pat Coleman on March 13, 2009, 01:45:37 AM
It can be disputed because last year isn't part of this year's selection criteria, whereas losing to Gustavus and losing twice to Wartburg is.

Better Dead then Red

Ralph Turner

Buena Vista needs to re-consider their position on renewing the IIAC post-season tourney next year as they hang their IIAC 2009 regular season champion banner.

The UAA doesn't have a tourney and awards the Pool A bid to the regular season winner.

When BV started the IIAC post-season tourney, they were just beginning the playoff run to the National Championship with about 250 other teams in D-III.

BV07

Quote from: Pat Coleman on March 13, 2009, 01:45:37 AM

Great point. Too bad it was a point that someone already made.

I understand that selection committees can't get it right every year. They have a tough job. I think it's especially tough on BV since they got a Pool C bid last year with a similar regional schedule. There were a couple teams that BV could have gotten the bid over this year, but it just didn't shake out that way.

Please share your expertise on why Brandeis and Baruch made it this year, essentially over BV. I don't have the numbers...

DBQ1965

Just in case there is someone who didn't see this on the IIAC football page ...

Okay ... ESPN's Tournament Challenge is out ... and the IIAC Forever group is all set up.

Join us in the field of 65/64 and see if you can pick the winner of this year's D-1 March Madness.

Click on the following link:http: //games.espn.go.com/tcmen/frontpage

If you played "Bowl Mania" last December/January, you already have a Member Name and Password.  If you don't remember them ... or you didn't play last college bowl season ... you will have to sign up again (its easy and its free).

Then you will be all set to pick this year's NCAA National Champion in that "other" division.

If the link doesn't work (my understanding of technology being what it is ... then go to www.espn.go.com ... look for someplace that says "Tournament Challenge" and click on that.  Then you should have the right page to sign-in or sign-up.

I'll be watching here to see if there are in problems you report with getting on board.  If there is a hitch in the process, the group you are looking for is IIAC Forever ... and the password is IIAC 2009.

Good luck to all.
Reality is for those who lack imagination 😀

Pat Coleman

Quote from: BV07 on March 14, 2009, 10:01:14 PM
Great point. Too bad it was a point that someone already made.

You repeated the meaningless point. I repeated the reasoning. How am I supposed to know you read it, since you ignored it and this was your first post?

I don't really have time in the middle of the tournament to go back to Selection Sunday, but here's the quick thumbnail:

Brandeis: Incredible strength of schedule with wins against regionally ranked teams.
Baruch: Beat St. Mary's (Md.), a regionally ranked team. When those two were on the board at the end, as was BVU (we assume), Baruch had a head-to-head win against a fellow bubble team.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Greek Tragedy

If you really want to compare last year with this year, you have to not only look at Buena Vista's resume, but you also have to compare it's resume from other teams' resumes from last year.  Maybe BVs resume from last year stacked up better against teams from last year than their resume THIS year with teams they were competing with THIS year. 
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Just Bill

Perhaps I should have been more clear (but I think most everyone else got it).  I wasn't saying that I couldn't understand his last sentence.  I was saying that his argument in the last sentence was IMO invalid because last year's performance has no bearing on this year's selection.
"That seems silly and pointless..." - Hoops Fan

The first and still most accurate description of the D3 Championship BeltTM thread.

Greek Tragedy

But how was I supposed to know that when I signed the contract with Wisconsin Stout, that they would go from National Tournament team to last place.  Gustavus is always a tough team and always in the regional rankings, this year they were .500.  Our budgets are set and we can't travel all over just to find teams with winning records two years in advance.  In the end, the team I have the most problem with making the tournament is Baruch, from New York City.  We had a higher OWP (Opponents Winning Percentage), a higher winning perecentage in region, but they had one win against a ranked region opponent.  We won 2 out of 3 in the committee's criteria, but they still took Baruch.  I have a problem with that one.

He actually did find teams with winning records two years in advance.  Yeah, it's too bad they didn't fair too well this year and that's not his fault.  Coach fails to realize that there's FIVE criteria, not three.  One of the criteria is in-region results vs. regionally ranked opponents.  Aside from their WIN against St. Marys' Baruch has close losses against Farmingdale State and William Paterson.  Some may argue that a 1-2 record against regionally ranked opponents is better than not playing any regionally ranked opponents.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!