Traumatic head injuries in hoops

Started by David Collinge, September 14, 2010, 01:28:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David Collinge

There's been a lot of discussion lately about concussions, particularly in football, and the many problems that can result.  Here's a blog/article from the New York Times that makes the point that concussions are increasingly common in basketball as well, especially in youth girls' hoops.  I find it a very interesting read.

There are many potential reasons for an increase in reported injuries in hoops, as the article suggests.  More reporting, more participants, looser officiating, etc.  However, one line from the comments section really resonates with me:
Quote from: Steve Ongley, commenter #3My son's basketball coach summed it up nicely, "It used to be only football was a contact sport. Now basketball's a contact sport, and football is a collision sport."

Warren Thompson

David: the NY Times story on traumatic head injuries is not only "interesting," it's also very disturbing ....

John Gleich

In high school and college, I had one concussion... from basketball.  And it ended my football career.  FYI, if you're going to dunk the basketball, don't land on your head.  It's not comfortable and you may lose about 4 days of your memory (true story!)

I think that kids are training earlier and specializing earlier too... so they're playing at a higher level, earlier.  I think they also have had some athletic roll models who are freaks of nature and they've wanted to be like LaBron or Dwyane or Kobe.  When I was growing up, it was Michael and that was it.

Just my two cents.
UWSP Men's Basketball

National Champions: 2015, 2010, 2005, 2004

NCAA appearances: 2018, '15, '14, '13, '12, '11, '10, '09, '08, '07, '05, '04, '03, '00, 1997

WIAC/WSUC Champs: 2015, '14, '13, '11, '09, '07, '05, '03, '02, '01, '00, 1993, '92, '87, '86, '85, '84, '83, '82, '69, '61, '57, '48, '42, '37, '36, '35, '33, '18

Twitter: @JohnGleich

Ralph Turner

USA Today ran this story but did not provide any more information.  (IMHO, that is lousy journalism!)

I asked my neurologist colleague about likely candidates, and he found this test that is being worked on by Banyan.

Please check out this abstract in PMID for the basis of the press release.

PMID: 20384815 in Medline

Ubiquitin C-terminal Hydrolase-L1  (UCH-L1) is the enzyme that is sought by the blood test.

(I think that the venture capitalists released the story to generate buzz for the next round of funding for Banyan, JMO.   ;) The trials with the FDA could be very expensive!)