BB: WIAC: Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by BDB, December 30, 2005, 09:19:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baseball Geek

And with a 6-0 shutout by the Tommies the Warhawks are now 1-4. This can't the the start anyone expected. It will be interesting to see if there are some clubhouse leaders who step up both on and off the field. Three Warhawks contributed a total of five hits. This isn't Hawkball.

tomt4525

Stodola has a great line in his first conference outing this year...doesn't even make it out of the 2nd.  That's Jirschele's ace for ya, about 45 pitches and 15 strikes.

For a college level pitcher to throw behind a hitter when you're not trying to throw at someone, is terrible.  Never seen that before at this level.

ShineTime

Fans who paid to watch point yesterday should get their money back that was sad. Time to go in a new direction Point went from an annual top 15 team in the nation to middle of the pack in the WIAC. When I read that Stodola was the ace this year I was astonished and thought to myself does Point not know how to recruit any longer? Point will be lucky to finish above platteville and Stout this year and at this point who knows if they'll win all 4 vs Finladia.
GOTTA LOVE ACT 10

tomt4525

Quote from: ShineTime on March 31, 2019, 10:29:17 AM
Fans who paid to watch point yesterday should get their money back that was sad. Time to go in a new direction Point went from an annual top 15 team in the nation to middle of the pack in the WIAC. When I read that Stodola was the ace this year I was astonished and thought to myself does Point not know how to recruit any longer? Point will be lucky to finish above platteville and Stout this year and at this point who knows if they'll win all 4 vs Finladia.

Point hasn't forgotten how to recruit...Jirschele hasn't ever been able to and that's been the downfall of the program.

badgerwarhawk

WARHAWKS sweep St Scholastica 2-0, 5-0.  Kaska goes 9 complete allowing 4 hits and striking out 17 in game one.  Santoro (2x4), Doud (2x4) and Wilkins (2x3) with multiple hits.  Wilkins and Aldridge with RBI.  O'Sullivan pitches 7.2 shutout innings surrendering 4 hits and striking out 5 in game two.  Santoro (2x4), Schroeder (2x4) and Korman (2x4) have multiple hits.  Korman drives in a pair while Aldridge, Wilkins and Campbell all have solo RBI.

Scholastica didn't look to have as strong a team as in the recent past but it's still a solid program and these were nice wins.  Their left and right fielders made some incredible running catches of balls that appeared to have extra bases written all over them. 

"Just think twice is my only advice."

Baseball Geek

Can anyone recall the last time no WIAC team was ranked in the Top 25? I've been following since 2012 and I don't believe I have ever seen it before today.

cubs

Quote from: Baseball Geek on April 02, 2019, 08:13:44 AM
Can anyone recall the last time no WIAC team was ranked in the Top 25? I've been following since 2012 and I don't believe I have ever seen it before today.
The d3baseball.com Poll has only been around since 2010, so with that said, I don't think there has ever been a week where a WIAC school hasn't been ranked before this week after Whitewater dropped out of the rankings.
2008-09 and 2012-13 WIAC Fantasy League Champion

2008-09 WIAC Pick'Em Tri-Champion

cubs

Am interested to see what how the Stout and Platteville series against Stevens Point and UWO play out this year....  Based on what I have seen early this season, it wouldn't shock me to see BOTH Stevens Point and UWO miss the WIAC Tournament this year.

Would I bet on it?  Not at all, but it sure feels like the gap between those four teams has gotten MUCH smaller over the past few seasons.  UWO helped their cause winning the series finale against Whitewater this weekend (to avoid a four game sweep) but once you get past Treml I'm not sure they have the pitching depth to win a WIAC four game series other than against Finlandia. 

UWO Titan 78

After last season's trip to the regionals, I'd hoped the Titans had turned the corner. It looks like they lack the pitching depth this season to compete in what appears to be a wide-open WIAC.

cubs

And Finlandia is on the board!!!!

After eleven unsuccessful attempts at picking up their first WIAC victory, Finlandia manages to take the series finale from UWSP 9-7.  That comes after being outscored by UWSP 56-7 over the course of the first three games of the series.

The WIAC clearly looks like a two-horse race this season with Whitewater (9-1) and La Crosse (10-2) pulling away from the rest of the pack (next best record is .500.) 

It will be interesting to see if either Whitewater or La Crosse can earn a Pool B bid while the the other tries their luck at a Pool C selection, as WashU seems to have a pretty tight grasp on one of the Pool B spots already.

tomt4525

Another tip of the cap to Coach Jirschele, first coach to lose a conference game to Finlandia.  The combined scores of conference games Finlandia has been involved in up to the finale against UWSP was 142-21.  Shouldn't be surprising at this point that UWSP manages to lose one, I thought middle of the WIAC was as far as the program would fall under Jirschele...I might be wrong.  Stout and Platteville might also be better than the Pointers this year.

Jim Dixon

Quote from: UWO Titan 78 on April 08, 2019, 12:29:06 PM
After last season's trip to the regionals, I'd hoped the Titans had turned the corner. It looks like they lack the pitching depth this season to compete in what appears to be a wide-open WIAC.

I expect they are missing the contribution of the catcher position as much as anything.

cubs

La Crosse managed to earn a split against #1 Concordia-Chicago yesterday down in Illinois.

The Eagles dropped the opener 3-0, as CUC plated a pair of runs in the seventh inning to break a scoreless tie.

The nightcap saw La Crosse snap the #1 Cougars 24-game win streak, and do it impressive fashion!!! Not only was it a 10-0 "mercy-rule" seven inning victory, UWL's Connor Cook no-hit the Cougars while facing just two batters over the minimum. A second inning walk and a batter reaching via error in the seventh inning was all CUC saw for baserunners.

I must say, I can't ever remember the #1 team in the Country getting no-hit in the past. While all no-hitters are special, I think the talent level of the opponent in this one gives it a little extra "shine." Congrats Connor!!!

ShineTime

Well at least the Pointers are showing promise and we're competitive with a great Platteville team. They have a star studded lineup and are just struggling to find ways to win.
GOTTA LOVE ACT 10

ShineTime

Is it safe to say the Pointer men's baseball program has been buried and its going to basically take a minimum of 3-5 years to get it in the right direction. I never anticipated seeing a day where platteville would dominate point in baseball and then a loss to finladia a team that wouldn't even win some of Wisconsin high school baseball conferences.
GOTTA LOVE ACT 10