WC 2022

Started by Domino1195, November 20, 2022, 11:31:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Domino1195

Posted in the Big Dance thread - keeping things clean opening a separate discussion for the WC here.

Qatar just too nervous right now making juvenile mistakes. Ecuador needs to continue the press and force more poor decisions. Qatar needs to get to half and regroup

Domino1195

So today's the day. Wales will play a counter-attacking style - probably a 5-3-2. They usually use 3 CB's, forcing the attack to go wide and either break down their wing backs or (futilely) send crosses into their strength.

The monumentally unimpressive friendlies against Japan and Saudi Arabia didn't offer much hope for US fans. We have been far too slow with the ball, especially against a team structured like Wales. I'm guessing we'll have 60+ % possession - which won't bother Wales.

Usually the pundits like to pick one group as the Group of Death. Based on FIFA rankings, with all four teams in group B ranked in the top 20 . . .

Domino1195

Stones and Maguire? Combined they've played about two games in the past month. Dicey.

Another Mom

I'm watching England v. Iran right now

Hopkins92

The Iranian "defense" is shambolic. Geez Louise.

Domino1195

Surprised at the Welsh 3-4-3. I like our chances attacking this formation- McKennie and Adams need to dominate the midfield and get us going on quick counters.

SierraFD3soccer

Way to snatch a tie from the jaws of victory.  2nd half not good.  Stupid Stupid foul with the man's back to the goal.

Where's Reyna??

blooter442

Generally annoying game — and not just because Bale was playing.

Still, whoever made that tactical foul when Turner came for a walkabout deserves MotM.

SierraFD3soccer

So now we have to worry about goal differential. Dumb.

Domino1195

Quote from: blooter442 on November 21, 2022, 04:08:01 PM

Still, whoever made that tactical foul when Turner came for a walkabout deserves MotM.
That was Ream - and I commented to my son, a Ream
Hater, that the foul was our best play in the second half!

Domino1195

I hated Caleb Porter's lack of understanding when to sub, just as I hate the previous Crew HC and his lack of understanding when to sub.  Ohh - that's Gregg.

At the 60 minute mark, with 5 subs left and the lead: decide to get the second goal or commit to preserve the lead. He did neither. Lots of talent and energy on the bench.

We are justified in feeling we gave up two points

EnmoreCat

USA first half was pretty impressive and I can tell you right now, Australia can't play anywhere near as good as that.  Did think Wales' response tactically after halftime was pretty effective, although the referee seemed to find it harder to book their players.  Not a bad start, but teams that progress in these tournaments find ways of winning those games.

Ejay

Quote from: Domino1195 on November 21, 2022, 04:30:56 PM

Actually it was Kellyn Acosta who fouled Bale at the 50.  But yes, it was our best play because you know Bale was going to score from there. 

Flying Weasel

Quote from: Ejay on November 21, 2022, 07:07:41 PM
Quote from: Domino1195 on November 21, 2022, 04:30:56 PM

Actually it was Kellyn Acosta who fouled Bale at the 50.  But yes, it was our best play because you know Bale was going to score from there. 

As also a Liverpool fan and Philadelphia Union fan, I know that Bale would have scored that if not for Acosta's intervention, just like I knew he would convert the PK despite how much I was cheering for Turner to come up huge with the save.  In fact, just minutes before the PK, I texted my brothers that we really needed a second goal to Bale-proof the result. On my list of most despised players, Bale is pushing for the top spot.

Such a disappointing result after the opening 45. A second first half goal wouldn't have been undeserved and, as it turned out, was needed.  Wales made halftime adjustments and we didn't really have an answer for that.  Spent a lot of time (and energy) chasing and unable to keep possession or attack with numbers for much of the second half.  Did a little better once the subs got made.  Advancement could very well come down to goal difference now, and unfortunately I'm not feeling that good about us doing better against England than Wales does. Glad we get England first, then Iran so we have a better feel for what might be required in that last game.

Saint of Old

World Cup just started for real.
David 2 Goliath 1