FB: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jknezek

Roanoke doesn't have a lot to offer. You are, however, driving right past Lexington VA on I-81. If you have some interest in Civil War history, the Lee Chapel museum on Washington & Lee's campus is a nice spot to take a driving break. Even better, however, is next door at VMI (and literally next door. The campuses are adjacent and both are easily walkable). The Marshal Museum is a very interesting collection of militaria and is the only place where you can see a Nobel Peace Prize (for the Marshal Plan) in a case right next to an Oscar (for Patton). Both campuses are gorgous in different ways, not far off the interstate, and well worth a couple hours to wander around. I also think both are free, though I'm not sure the hours of operation.

Also local to Lexington is Virginia's Natural Bridge. Interesting to go see, but unless you're really into unique rock formations for some reason I think I'd skip that one. If it's a nice driving day, Skyline Drive parallels a good portion of I-81. Generally people agree that the best parts of Skyline Drive are in NC, not VA, on a nice clear day it is still a very pretty drive and a good break from just speeding down I-81.

The Southern Inn, downtown Lexington, is also a good stop for food if you decide to visit the two adjacent campuses.

mr_mom

Quote from: jknezek on December 12, 2012, 01:10:15 PM
Roanoke doesn't have a lot to offer. You are, however, driving right past Lexington VA on I-81. If you have some interest in Civil War history, the Lee Chapel museum on Washington & Lee's campus is a nice spot to take a driving break.

However, if you call it the Civil War, they'll know you are a Yankee.  Down here they call it "The War of Northern Agression".   

[and I'm not sure they realize that it's over]  ;)
Never underestimate the stimulation of eccentricity.

theaprof

Quote from: mr_mom on December 12, 2012, 01:21:34 PM
Roanoke doesn't have a lot to offer. You are, however, driving right past Lexington VA on I-81. If you have some interest in Civil War history, the Lee Chapel museum on Washington & Lee's campus is a nice spot to take a driving break.

However, if you call it the Civil War, they'll know you are a Yankee.  Down here they call it "The War of Northern Agression".   

I lived in Richmond for three years and Harrisonburg for three more--they definitely do not realize that the war is over.
Reloading--Again, and again, and again....

Retired Old Rat

Bench, that is classic.  Especially the guy in the Waffen SS uniform.  Nightline recently did a story on the Klan in Mississippi.  What a bunch of low iq losers.

National Champions: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003

jknezek

Considering I'm a Jersey boy currently living in AL I have what most people down here consider to have a very unique perspective on history. Seems most of what I was taught in school was apparently wrong. I've been re-learning as I go...

RoyalPurple

Roanoke may not have a lot of Civil War interest but I'd object to the blanket statement Roanoke doesn't have a lot to offer. The Virginia Museum of Transportation, O Winston Link Museum of photography are both downtown and the market area is worth a visit. And if your really touristy a trip to the Giant Star on Mill Mountain provides a beautiful view on a nice day.

Salem on the other hand,,, football stadium,,,,,,civic center,,,,,,and,,,,,,,nada

USTBench

Quote from: Retired Old Rat on December 12, 2012, 01:25:27 PM
Bench, that is classic.  Especially the guy in the Waffen SS uniform.  Nightline recently did a story on the Klan in Mississippi.  What a bunch of low iq losers.

Epilogue: After leaving the Battlefield my friends wanted to go to a BBQ in Dupont Circle. Upon parking I see a giant flatbed semi-trailor towing about 20 shirtless cowboys dancing to "Celebrate Good Times." I had just wandered into the epicenter of a Gay Pride parade.

It was enough to make a North Dakota boy's head explode. Too...much...culture. KABOOM!
Augsburg University: 2021 MIAC Spring Football Champions

hazzben

Quote from: USTBench on December 12, 2012, 02:35:51 PM
Quote from: Retired Old Rat on December 12, 2012, 01:25:27 PM

Epilogue: After leaving the Battlefield my friends wanted to go to a BBQ in Dupont Circle. Upon parking I see a giant flatbed semi-trailor towing about 20 shirtless cowboys dancing to "Celebrate Good Times." I had just wandered into the epicenter of a Gay Pride parade.

It was enough to make a North Dakota boy's head explode. Too...much...culture. KABOOM!

Wow, quite the day. Sounds like you covered the political and cultural spectrum in just a few hours...

RoyalPurple

OK, I just got here I don't have time to roll back 20 pages, so from which side of the stadium will I be singing, "Dear Old MUC" from.

HURFMUC

Desertraider

Caught the piece on the Tommies O-line
http://www.d3football.com/playoffs/2012/st-thomas-aims-to-be-known-for-offensive-line
Just curious but when did Mount get a title stripped: "The next challenge St. Thomas (14-0, 8-0 MIAC) faces is Mount Union (14-0, 9-0 OAC), a perennial power that has won nine national titles while playing in 15 of the past 19 Stagg Bowls."

Write-up reminds me of the old Rowan teams - a bunch of D1 and D2 transfers. Hope it works out the same way for them as it did Rowan. Roll Raiders!
RIP MUC57 - Go Everybody!
National Champions: 1993, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017
The Autumn Wind is a Raider!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzEYK_XjyLg
Immaculate Prevention: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZLq_acsVN0

mtfan

Quote from: RoyalPurple on December 12, 2012, 03:44:32 PM
OK, I just got here I don't have time to roll back 20 pages, so from which side of the stadium will I be singing, "Dear Old MUC" from.
west stands

tommiegun

Quote from: jknezek on December 12, 2012, 01:34:10 PM

Considering I'm a Jersey boy currently living in AL I have what most people down here consider to have a very unique perspective on history. Seems most of what I was taught in school was apparently wrong. I've been re-learning as I go...

It probably was.  The old adage is, of course, "history is written by the victors."  Way off topic for a football board but I wrote a paper on North/South interpretation of the Civil War in college.  It is truly amazing how differently the sides view the war and its causes.  It is also amazing how distorted both the popularized northern version and demonized southern version are from the "truth." 

RoyalPurple

Reading the lead article on St Thomas's website you'll find that they proudly boast they are going to stop the run.

First of all good luck with that, and someone tell Jr Collins they want the Number 1 passing efficiency offense to have to pass.

Retired Old Rat

Quote from: RoyalPurple on December 12, 2012, 05:48:27 PM
Reading the lead article on St Thomas's website you'll find that they proudly boast they are going to stop the run.

First of all good luck with that, and someone tell Jr Collins they want the Number 1 passing efficiency offense to have to pass.

First of all, they don't say they are going to stop the run.  They say their focus is on stopping the run.

Secondly, what do you expect them to say?  "We're so scared of those Mount Union guys.  We'll be lucky to hold them under their season average for points."

It just cracks me up every year when some Mount Union posters come on here and are oh so offended that the other team thinks they might actually have a shot at competing with The Machine.  Yes, you've won way more than you've lost.  But, it does happen.

Note:  I know the majority of the Mount posters don't do this.  Most show a healthy dose of respect for the other team and sometimes come off as downright pessimistic.  ;)

National Champions: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003