2024 NCAA Tournament

Started by Greek Tragedy, February 26, 2024, 03:56:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greek Tragedy

Anyone know when the all-star game is on Saturday?
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on March 11, 2024, 09:42:59 AMAnyone know when the all-star game is on Saturday?

I think we'll get rosters today, so they'll probably announce the time as well.  I would guess 12:30 or 1 - They likely have a hard out at 2:30 for a 4pm Championship game.  There's no real halftime for the AS game, so they could get away with a 1pm start, likely.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Greek Tragedy

Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Greek Tragedy

I believe Fort Wayne has 2 more years of hosting the "Final Four." I say this because I think in 2026, the quarter finals and semi finals are being played at Fort Wayne with the Final being held with the D2 and D1 Finals.

What is the submitting process to host the Final Four. It seems like it was forever held in Salem until moving to Fort Wayne. The women's Final Four seems to move more frequently. Does no one want to host?

Also, I realize that the atmosphere at this year's Final was amazing with Trine basically being a home team, Angola just 45 minutes away, resulting in the largest crowd in D3 Final history. But, is there a smaller venue that would be willing to host? The Allen County War Memorial Coliseum can hold up to 13,000 fans. Having the biggest crowd ever only filled the place 1/3 full. I think it's tacky having a big curtain or covering up the upper level or other ways of making the place look smaller. Is there a place/campus that has a gym that holds 5,000 fans? How dead was the place last year when 1,200 fans saw the Final? It just seems overkill to have such a large place host.

Did the bidding process start for 2027 and beyond?
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

nescac1

It's always going to come down to $$$ in terms of who the host site is, but it would be nice for other teams to have a chance to bring that type of virtual home game atmosphere by rotating it among regions of the country every few years - if there are arenas that are willing. But that will never happen ...

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on Yesterday at 01:17:39 AMThe Allen County War Memorial Coliseum can hold up to 13,000 fans. Having the biggest crowd ever only filled the place 1/3 full. I think it's tacky having a big curtain or covering up the upper level or other ways of making the place look smaller.

Didn't seem 1/3 full and didn't feel tacky in the room.

Bids are in for the 2026-27 and 2027-28 years. We'll know probably by September. However, Fort Wayne did not bid to retain this championship, instead focusing on the D-II Elite Eight and the D-III wrestling championships.

(Salem did not bid either, it was already known.)
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

OUVan59

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on Yesterday at 01:17:39 AMHaving the biggest crowd ever only filled the place 1/3 full. I think it's tacky having a big curtain or covering up the upper level or other ways of making the place look smaller.

Thankfully, that didn't come across on TV at all. Crowd looked and sounded great on the broadcast.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

They had to open the upper level curtain on one side for this game and those seats were packed as well.

I'd rather have the ends blocked off than half full.  The host and committee seemed to agree that this was a better setup than when Wabash was there and they opened one end.  All of the sight lines are better without the ends opened up, for sure.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

ziggy

Quote from: nescac1 on Yesterday at 08:03:18 AMIt's always going to come down to $$$ in terms of who the host site is, but it would be nice for other teams to have a chance to bring that type of virtual home game atmosphere by rotating it among regions of the country every few years - if there are arenas that are willing. But that will never happen ...

It sounds good in theory but is unlikely to work all that well in practice. Trine is just so unusually close.

In my mind the best bet is to try to be fairly centrally located in hopes of having a couple fanbases within reasonable driving distance. I believe the centrality of Fort Wayne (at least compared to Salem) was a consideration in them winning the bid and I hope it continues even though we know it will be somewhere other than Fort Wayne starting in 2027. Anywhere along the Indiana-Ohio-Pennsylvania corridor makes a lot of sense to me.

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: Pat Coleman on Today at 10:10:25 AM
Quote from: Greek Tragedy on Yesterday at 01:17:39 AMThe Allen County War Memorial Coliseum can hold up to 13,000 fans. Having the biggest crowd ever only filled the place 1/3 full. I think it's tacky having a big curtain or covering up the upper level or other ways of making the place look smaller.

Didn't seem 1/3 full and didn't feel tacky in the room.

Bids are in for the 2026-27 and 2027-28 years. We'll know probably by September. However, Fort Wayne did not bid to retain this championship, instead focusing on the D-II Elite Eight and the D-III wrestling championships.

(Salem did not bid either, it was already known.)

Fair enough. I was simply going by the attendance and the listed capacity. The side definitely looked full and good for Trine to be so close. However, I think that attendance number is an anomaly, not the norm, as other listed attendances show. 

Although I haven't made it to Fort Wayne yet, for various reasons (Covid, family matters, vacation), I do like it being more central. I do plan on making it next year (seems like I always plan to) and definitely the following year where I'll be able to see 4 QF games and 2 semi final games on back to back days. I could see finding a place with a capacity of 3,500-5,000 being the perfect size.

Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Pat Coleman

The key would be to find a place that is new and has all the amenities but is also smaller. (I'd say 5K-6K just to be sure.) Salem is that size but wasn't updated enough.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.