The Basketball Tournament

Started by Greek Tragedy, June 06, 2018, 03:26:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greek Tragedy

Don't forget the D3 team plays those overrated UCLA alumni tonight, I believe around 9:20 pm Eastern time. ESPN3?
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

sac

FCGrizzliesGrad

44-38 lead at the half. Keep it up :)
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Flannery is looking great.  They seem to be saving Ben Strong for the end of the game, which is smart - he's been all over the boards and hitting threes.  Toomey's been a bit sloppy, but the shot is falling like always.  A few guys seem to be overwhelmed by the moment, but they're settling in.  Pat, Dave, and I are live tweeting the game.

Here's the link to watch it (also on the d3hoops front page):

http://www.espn.com/watch/_/id/3399577/d3-vs-sons-of-westwood-ucla-alumni-regional-round-tbt
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

ronk

Missed the 1st 15 mins, but what I saw was interesting. Difference was the physicality(strength, quickness) on the defensive perimeter of the Westwood players. I now see how Gibbs was such a great player in his college days.

FCGrizzliesGrad

A lot like a March Madness game, the underdogs have a great first half while the favorites have a bit of a slow start then the second half is all one sided the other way. 65-90 final. Too many misses inside and too many fast breaks the other way.

Hopefully next year we'll have another D3 team make the tournament and take down the big boys. :)
Football picker extraordinaire
5 titles: CCIW, NJAC
4x: ODAC:S
3x: ASC, IIAC, MIAA:S, NACC:S, NCAC, OAC:P, Nat'l
2x: HCAC, MIAC, ODAC:P, WIAC
1x: Bracket, OAC:S

Basketball
2013 WIAC Pickem Co-champ
2015 Nat'l Pickem
2017: LEC and MIAA Pickem
2019: MIAA and WIAC Pickem

Soccer
2023: Mens Pickem

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: FCGrizzliesGrad on July 14, 2018, 11:14:23 PM
A lot like a March Madness game, the underdogs have a great first half while the favorites have a bit of a slow start then the second half is all one sided the other way. 65-90 final. Too many misses inside and too many fast breaks the other way.

Hopefully next year we'll have another D3 team make the tournament and take down the big boys. :)

Kind of helps when the officials decide to stop calling fouls they were calling... or making up calls. I normally don't care about officiating... but that was a poorly officiated game.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Smitty Oom

Anyone know if there is an archived video of the game? I wasn't able to watch last night

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I am sure you can watch on ESPN3 (WatchESPN). They usually have that stuff archived.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

WUPHF

I watched the first half just by clicking the link above.  It was definitely worth the time.

Greek Tragedy

https://www.fibalivestats.com/u/TBT/1288290/

The #8 seed We Are D3 battled the top seed Boeheims Army and lost 68-65 tonight. Some rule they can implement in the 4th quarter allows them to change the ending of the game from simply a clock to "First to 68" or something. I think it was 62-56 when it changed to that. No idea about the rule. Anyway...
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Pat Coleman

Yes -- this tournament uses the Elam Ending. At the first dead ball under 4, then the target is set at Leading Team's Score Plus 8. Then the game ends when someone reaches that score.

It kills all the fouling and free-throw shooting down the stretch.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Caz Bombers

I'd really like to see the Elam Ending experimented with in a college basketball setting. Perhaps in the Division I NIT and WNIT at first.

Rather than dead ball 4 and under, I would change the halves to 18 minutes each (or quarters to 9 each) then go to Elam at the buzzer.

fantastic50

Quote from: Caz Bombers on July 27, 2019, 08:11:18 AM
I'd really like to see the Elam Ending experimented with in a college basketball setting. Perhaps in the Division I NIT and WNIT at first.

Agreed.  Among the basketball analytics community, the question is whether such a change would simply move the foul-line parade earlier, before the winning point total is set.  This makes me that cutting off the timer midway through the second half might be preferable.