FB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigerfanalso

Agreed, GC should stomp on CUA pretty badly. That team is no good at all. They are young and should be much improved next year, but will continue to struggle this year. I've got GC winning by 21 and thats if CUA plays well.

CUACARD59

Quote from: hasanova on October 29, 2014, 09:35:29 AM
I think Guilford will win, but 45 is a stretch.  It's Homecoming at GC this weekend and I know Coach Rusiewicz does not want a repeat of last year's letdown at CUA.

I always hated the term letdown and I have always felt it gets unfairly thrown around at CUA whenever we get a quality win. That somehow Catholic didn't win the game, rather the other team didn't play well and therefore lost it themselves. As if to imply that Catholic didn't play a quality game against a quality opponent and flat out beat them. 

Now I'm sure you merely meant it as Guilford was 4-1 in the ODAC prior to the game and the loss all but ended their chances of winning the title, thus making it a letdown. In fact all games you plan to win and don't are "letdowns" of some form. I just wanted to stick up for the 2013 Cards! Still think we were a much better team than our 3-4 record would indicate and those losses to E&H and W&L will haunt me forever. Hope that doesn't sound too bitter! haha

hasanova

Quote from: CUACARD59 on October 30, 2014, 02:41:42 AM
Quote from: hasanova on October 29, 2014, 09:35:29 AM
I think Guilford will win, but 45 is a stretch.  It's Homecoming at GC this weekend and I know Coach Rusiewicz does not want a repeat of last year's letdown at CUA.

I always hated the term letdown and I have always felt it gets unfairly thrown around at CUA whenever we get a quality win. That somehow Catholic didn't win the game, rather the other team didn't play well and therefore lost it themselves. As if to imply that Catholic didn't play a quality game against a quality opponent and flat out beat them. 

Now I'm sure you merely meant it as Guilford was 4-1 in the ODAC prior to the game and the loss all but ended their chances of winning the title, thus making it a letdown. In fact all games you plan to win and don't are "letdowns" of some form. I just wanted to stick up for the 2013 Cards! Still think we were a much better team than our 3-4 record would indicate and those losses to E&H and W&L will haunt me forever. Hope that doesn't sound too bitter! haha
You make a good point, CUACARD59.  It wasn't intended to be a dig at the Cards.  I do know Guilford was 4-0 in the ODAC going into the HSC game and got a royal smackdown.  The Catholic game, at least from GC's perspective, was a game I think they reasonably thought they would win.  It was certainly a disappointing loss for the Quakers, but almost certainly an equally inspired effort by the Cardinals.  I've been around long enough to never take an opponent for granted and I'm sure Guilford's team won't either this weekend.  I hope to make it to CUA for the game next season.  +1 for you

tigerfanalso

Hasa

You planning to travel to HSC on the 8th ?

CUACARD59

I agree with you, the 2013 CUA team was better than the 3-4 odac record. In fact I thought they might have been the 3rd best team in the odac, bottom line, their record does not reflect that. Good luck to your Cards for the remainder of the year, I've got a feeling we'll see a much improved CUA team in 2015. 

hasanova

Quote from: tigerfanalso on October 30, 2014, 09:59:03 AM
Hasa

You planning to travel to HSC on the 8th ?

CUACARD59

I agree with you, the 2013 CUA team was better than the 3-4 odac record. In fact I thought they might have been the 3rd best team in the odac, bottom line, their record does not reflect that. Good luck to your Cards for the remainder of the year, I've got a feeling we'll see a much improved CUA team in 2015.
Yes, I plan to be there.  Hopefully, with a couple of my "rowdy" friends, some of whom played for the Quakes.  I've been on HSC's campus before, but I've never attended a game there.  I hope GC has a better outing than 2013 - the Tigers are always tough!

tigerfanalso

Good, I hope to meet you and your "rowdy" friends. Any of those rowdy friends play in 1974-77 ?

hasanova

Quote from: tigerfanalso on October 30, 2014, 02:11:58 PM
Good, I hope to meet you and your "rowdy" friends. Any of those rowdy friends play in 1974-77 ?
Yes, Cliff Hunsucker played in that era.  His '74 Guilford team went 6-3-2 with a tie (got trophy with some tiebreaker rules) against William Penn College in the short-lived Poultry Bowl and his '75 team went 8-2.

GC2005

I was hoping to make it to the GC/CUA ge tomorrow, but unfortunately I will be driving back from my honeymoon in Savannah.  Hopefully I will be able to stream the game live while I am on I-95 for what seems like eternity.

After catching up on the board I observed CUAcard59's comments about the term letdown being unfairly distributed.  I have learned as a player and as a fan that anything can happen.  I think GC is going in to the weekend expecting to play well.  With that being said, I can almost gaurantee that CUA can cause GC big problems if GC is lax and CUA executes their game plan. 

I also thought I would join the pick'em crowd just for giggles this week. 

I will take GC over CUA by 14.  GC's offense appeared to be better last week.  Also, I have witnessed GC improve against the run this year.

HSC over BC by 21.  HSC has that explosive offense and BC is solid but apre vanilla team.  If BC has a chance they will have to slow this game tempo way down and grind it out.

SU over RMC by 14.  RMC appears to have some trouble in the air and SU is an up and cong talented team.  Also, SU will be effective running the ball this weekend.

E&H by 14 over W&L.  I personally think E&H is the most improved team in the ODAC this year.  W&L is still young and learning but I believe they will get a few yards on the ground and put a few points on the board. 

HSCTiger fan

Quote from: GC2005 on October 31, 2014, 06:12:59 PM
I was hoping to make it to the GC/CUA ge tomorrow, but unfortunately I will be driving back from my honeymoon in Savannah.  Hopefully I will be able to stream the game live while I am on I-95 for what seems like eternity.

Congratulations on your marriage. I hope you meant your bride will be driving!  Because if you are driving while watching the game - 95 could easily turn into an eternity.  Be careful out there we have so few posters on the ODAC board already.  :)

It's 40f in Harrisonburg. The forecast is for a high of 48f around 3:00 PM. the wind is to be around 17-20 mph with gust up to 30mph. There's also a 30% chance of rain. It's going to be a beautiful day at Bridgewater. For the fans planning on attending - don't forget you hat and mittens!
Hampden Sydney College
ODAC Champions 77, 82, 83, 87, 07, 09, 11, 13, 14
NCAA Playoffs - 77, 07, 09, 10, 11, 13, 14
The "Game" 60 wins and counting...
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

odacsuperfan

Sorry guys I'm not buying GC sandbagging. CUA is bad this year. GC likes to run up scores and stats on the merciless . This game gets ugly early and often. GC season on line next 2 weeks playing the 2 best teams in ODAC.

GC2005

Sorry about that HSCTigerFan, I meant to clarify that I will just be streaming the audio of the game.  Thanks for looking out for me though.  And a big thank you for the congrats.   Sounds a little more like football weather in Harrisonburg.  Every day in Savannah this week has been about 80 degrees.

Superfan,

GC isn't sandbagging.  I am happy to see them doing well but I fear the old GC will show up at any given time and on any given weekend.  Also, they have played a few weaker teams this season, but o don't think they try and run the score up.  A few of the games that I have seen this year could have actually could have been much worse.  During the Greensboro and W&L games I watched them gear down in the 4th quarter and keep the ball on the ground.  I just don't agree with sandbagging and running up scores.  For all we know the old GC could show up today and barely move the ball past the fifty.  I hope not, but then again, anything is possible.

CUACARD59

GC-CUA game tied up at 14 at the end of the first half. Catholic had the ball inside the 5 twice without getting points, two huge missed opportunities for the Cards. Need to capitalize on those chances in the second half

Michael Herbert

The Tigers better get it together or they will have a LONG bus ride home.

wesleydad

HSU is getting dominated by Bridgewater.  Offense is struggling with plenty of pressure on Nash.  Defense is having trouble with an average Eagles offense.  The ODAC race could be a total mess if this result holds up.

HSCTiger74

Quote from: Michael Herbert on November 01, 2014, 02:35:54 PM
The Tigers better get it together or they will have a LONG bus ride home.

They seem to have at least one of these every season. Hopefully this will get it out of their system, but they can kiss any chance at a home playoff game goodbye (assuming they even get there).
TANSTAAFL