FB: North Coast Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wally_wabash

I haven't parsed this completely, but I am a little surprised that Witt edged DPU for 2nd this year.  I know Witt has the favorable home schedule this fall, but given what these teams lost, are returning, plus last year's result I would have expected DPU to be second in this poll by 4-5 points. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

old wabash

Three weeks out...and it is so quiet, I cannot even hear the crickets anymore!  ???

sigma one

juat to get the preliminaries started:  most Wabash players already on campus.  Officially, they report tomorrow.  Roster now up on football site shows around 140; probably the reporting number will be 136/138.  Depending on how one counts, these are the offensive and defensive starters returning:  OFFENSE  Buresh D., Stucker, Leath, Sturdivant, Christian, Adams, Page, Rice (+ Thomas and Johnson--who was behind Zurek last year, but still a 2nd team all-NCAC RB)  DEFENSE  Buresh, E., Ludwig, Hansen, Bowden, Pettiford, Parks,  Brown ( + Fullencamp, who was an offensive starter last year, likely moving to defense).  KICKER:  Tutsie   PUNTER:  Fox   LONG SNAPPER  Hadley.  Fullencamp, Stucker, Sturdivant, Johnson, E. Buresh, Ludwig, Pettiford, Brown, Tutsie all got all-NCAC recognition last year, while Christian was a 2nd teamer two years ago.  Also, last year, Rice and Parks were honorable mention all-conference.
    Opener at Albion.  Interesting because Wabash defeated Albion in the first-round of the Division III playoffs last year: the snow storm game.   

smedindy

Glad to see that the coaching change didn't affect numbers!

wally_wabash

Quote from: sigma one on August 13, 2016, 11:01:21 AM
    Opener at Albion.  Interesting because Wabash defeated Albion in the first-round of the Division III playoffs last year: the snow storm game.

Will be interesting to see if Albion has been able to diagnose this since November:
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

bashbrother

Quote from: wally_wabash on August 15, 2016, 02:49:58 PM
Quote from: sigma one on August 13, 2016, 11:01:21 AM

Will be interesting to see if Albion has been able to diagnose this since November:

One of the greatest sacks I have ever seen in 35+ years of being a big college football fan.....     Kind of an "off the turn buckle" kind of sack!  (With the fumble strip)   I don't know how you diagnose that issue other than telling your offense not to try and cut block Wabash ends or OLB's.

This one would have impressed Troy Polamalu

Why should you go for it on 4th down?

"To overcome the disappointment of not making it on third down." -- Washington State Coach Mike Leach

BashDad

Who is responsible for this cover photo? I want to have words with you.

DPU3619

Truthfully, I am interested to see what Albion looks like in good conditions. Mother nature did them no favors last November. Wabash flat whipped them, but Wabash was also much better equipped for snow football than Albion was.

Lot to replace on offense for them, though. QB is gone. Top 2 leading rushers are gone. Receivers 2-7 in terms of production are gone.

1837Tigers

Quote from: BashDad on August 15, 2016, 10:19:04 PM
Who is responsible for this cover photo? I want to have words with you.

That'd be the guy who got crushed at the end of the play, James Amidon.  I had the joy of putting the disc itself together.

1837Tigers

While we're at it -- here's a link to all the Monon Bell DVDs.  D3 board special -- Through Friday, buy one get 2 free -- send me a PM and tell me which 2 you'd like in addition to the one you ordered.  Supplies are low on several years.

https://commerce.cashnet.com/depauwdvd

HCAlum86

Quote from: Old Pal Wes on August 02, 2016, 12:56:10 AM
Quote from: wally_wabash on August 01, 2016, 01:02:57 PM
O/U - 2.5 wins for Allegheny in 2016

Over. Thiel, Kenyon, Hiram.

Going to disagree with the Hiram pick, for obvious and biased reasons.

I think the Terriers will win 6 this year. They lost quite a bit on defense last year, but our offense will be explosive this year. Plus, with Stanford at the helm, I do not see Hiram snatching defeat from the jaws of victory at all this year.

Westminster, Allegheny, Oberlin, Kenyon, Denison, Wooster.

Realistically, I think 6-4 is the best possible scenario, 4-6 and 5-5 would also be believable. Hoping for the best for the NCAC as a whole!
July 13, 1904
Hiram College wins the inter-collegiate basketball world championship at the World's Fair Universal Exposition Olympic Games in St. Louis, Missouri. Final score: Hiram, 25; Latter Day Saints University, 18.

wally_wabash

Quote from: HCAlum86 on August 16, 2016, 09:08:09 AM

I think the Terriers will win 6 this year. They lost quite a bit on defense last year, but our offense will be explosive this year. Plus, with Stanford at the helm, I do not see Hiram snatching defeat from the jaws of victory at all this year.

Realistically, I think 6-4 is the best possible scenario, 4-6 and 5-5 would also be believable. Hoping for the best for the NCAC as a whole!

Denison would be a really big get for Hiram.  I'm willing to walk back on the Hiram/Allegheny result, although it's going to be interesting to see where the Gators are when they get to Week 9.  Hiram's advantages over Allegheny, I think, shrink as time goes on this season. 

HCAlum86

Quote from: wally_wabash on August 16, 2016, 11:22:18 AM

Denison would be a really big get for Hiram.  I'm willing to walk back on the Hiram/Allegheny result, although it's going to be interesting to see where the Gators are when they get to Week 9.  Hiram's advantages over Allegheny, I think, shrink as time goes on this season.

Fair point re: weather. I am interested to see how Stanford will proportion the run/pass attack.

Randy Moore (former Hiram HC) is now the DC at Allegheny, as well, so I am sure there will be some extra motivation on both sides going into the game; especially considering the cloud of uncertainty as for the reason(s) for his departure.

As for Denison, I agree; that would be a very nice win for the Terriers. Denison is a better team going into this season than OWU, in my humble opinion; however, I think Hiram takes a victory from the Big Red and loses to the Bishops. Only time will tell, but I am happy that we are finally close enough to the season to start unchecked speculation again.
July 13, 1904
Hiram College wins the inter-collegiate basketball world championship at the World's Fair Universal Exposition Olympic Games in St. Louis, Missouri. Final score: Hiram, 25; Latter Day Saints University, 18.

SaintsFAN

Hiram has no chance to beat Westminster this year.  They are much-improved and will be contending for the PAC Title this year.
AMC Champs: 1991-1992-1993-1994-1995
HCAC Champs: 2000, 2001
PAC Champs:  2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Bridge Bowl Champs:  1990-1991-1992-1993-1994-1995-2002-2003-2006-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012-2013 (SERIES OVER)
Undefeated: 1991, 1995, 2001, 2009, 2010, 2015
Instances where MSJ quit the Bridge Bowl:  2

HCAlum86

Quote from: SaintsFAN on August 16, 2016, 12:19:22 PM

Hiram has no chance to beat Westminster this year.  They are much-improved and will be contending for the PAC Title this year.

Okay, per SaintsFan I'll make sure to inform the Terriers not to bother showing up. Clearly overmatched by an opponent from a better conference.

::)
July 13, 1904