FB: North Coast Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smedindy

Nice to have some Hiram smack going on!  :D

SaintsFAN

Quote from: HCAlum86 on August 16, 2016, 12:55:32 PM
Quote from: SaintsFAN on August 16, 2016, 12:19:22 PM

Hiram has no chance to beat Westminster this year.  They are much-improved and will be contending for the PAC Title this year.

Okay, per SaintsFan I'll make sure to inform the Terriers not to bother showing up. Clearly overmatched by an opponent from a better conference.

::)

Yep.  Didn't say that about the conference, but I know Hiram isn't contending for the NCAC.  And since we can compare the two conferences from the H2H result from last postseason, I don't think its a reach to say that if Westminster will be a top 3 or 4 in the PAC, they won't lose to Hiram.

As far as not having them show up, whatever bud.  YOU'RE the one with Hiram in your username saying 6-4 or 5-5 is what they'll be, AT BEST.  What's another game to add to an alum's list?

Get out of here with that BS.
AMC Champs: 1991-1992-1993-1994-1995
HCAC Champs: 2000, 2001
PAC Champs:  2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Bridge Bowl Champs:  1990-1991-1992-1993-1994-1995-2002-2003-2006-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012-2013 (SERIES OVER)
Undefeated: 1991, 1995, 2001, 2009, 2010, 2015
Instances where MSJ quit the Bridge Bowl:  2

1837Tigers

HCAlum86

Quote from: SaintsFAN on August 16, 2016, 02:14:43 PM
Quote from: HCAlum86 on August 16, 2016, 12:55:32 PM
Quote from: SaintsFAN on August 16, 2016, 12:19:22 PM

Hiram has no chance to beat Westminster this year.  They are much-improved and will be contending for the PAC Title this year.

Okay, per SaintsFan I'll make sure to inform the Terriers not to bother showing up. Clearly overmatched by an opponent from a better conference.

::)

Yep.  Didn't say that about the conference, but I know Hiram isn't contending for the NCAC.  And since we can compare the two conferences from the H2H result from last postseason, I don't think its a reach to say that if Westminster will be a top 3 or 4 in the PAC, they won't lose to Hiram.

As far as not having them show up, whatever bud.  YOU'RE the one with Hiram in your username saying 6-4 or 5-5 is what they'll be, AT BEST.  What's another game to add to an alum's list?

Get out of here with that BS.

Right, I do not have a diluted vision of grandeur. I don't anticipate beating Wabash or Witt... And if Westminster wins the opener, then that's fine. But I wouldn't go so far as to close the book on the game before it starts. Especially given the nature of some of the games the last three years.
July 13, 1904
Hiram College wins the inter-collegiate basketball world championship at the World's Fair Universal Exposition Olympic Games in St. Louis, Missouri. Final score: Hiram, 25; Latter Day Saints University, 18.

HCAlum86

Can anyone tell me about Mt. St. Joseph, Depauw's non-conference opponent. I am familiar with most programs playing the NCAC week one, not so much with regards to MSJ, though.
July 13, 1904
Hiram College wins the inter-collegiate basketball world championship at the World's Fair Universal Exposition Olympic Games in St. Louis, Missouri. Final score: Hiram, 25; Latter Day Saints University, 18.

SaintsFAN

Quote from: HCAlum86 on August 17, 2016, 12:11:59 PM
Can anyone tell me about Mt. St. Joseph, Depauw's non-conference opponent. I am familiar with most programs playing the NCAC week one, not so much with regards to MSJ, though.

Decently talented, but not a program that is inside the Top 100, Nationally.  They have been chosen to finish third in the HCAC, which seems about right, as they've downgraded the program in recent years by adding teams to the schedule who are "for sures" so they can host a playoff game on the year when they finally finish undefeated in conference.  This from sources inside the program and former coaches/players.  I'm quite positive they scheduled this game thinking DePauw was down and going to still be down when the games came up.

Outside of ducking better competition, the biggest issues in Delhi are chemistry-related.  They like to take in upper-division transfers, treat them differently.  As a result, if its a close game late they fold like a tent.  Now, as I said they do have some offensive talent.  They have a big, talented WR and a couple RB's.  You really never know who they are bringing back at QB and their defense has been a sieve most recently (despite playing in the HCAC 6 of their opponents scored 26 points or more on them last year). 
AMC Champs: 1991-1992-1993-1994-1995
HCAC Champs: 2000, 2001
PAC Champs:  2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Bridge Bowl Champs:  1990-1991-1992-1993-1994-1995-2002-2003-2006-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012-2013 (SERIES OVER)
Undefeated: 1991, 1995, 2001, 2009, 2010, 2015
Instances where MSJ quit the Bridge Bowl:  2

HCAlum86

Quote from: SaintsFAN on August 17, 2016, 12:43:35 PM
Quote from: HCAlum86 on August 17, 2016, 12:11:59 PM

Decently talented, but not a program that is inside the Top 100, Nationally.  They have been chosen to finish third in the HCAC, which seems about right, as they've downgraded the program in recent years by adding teams to the schedule who are "for sures" so they can host a playoff game on the year when they finally finish undefeated in conference.  This from sources inside the program and former coaches/players.  I'm quite positive they scheduled this game thinking DePauw was down and going to still be down when the games came up.

Outside of ducking better competition, the biggest issues in Delhi are chemistry-related.  They like to take in upper-division transfers, treat them differently.  As a result, if its a close game late they fold like a tent.  Now, as I said they do have some offensive talent.  They have a big, talented WR and a couple RB's.  You really never know who they are bringing back at QB and their defense has been a sieve most recently (despite playing in the HCAC 6 of their opponents scored 26 points or more on them last year).

Thank you. It always amazes me the way some coaches will insert higher-division players with character issues and assume everything will gel. Few coaches have been able to harness those sorts of players successfully. Hiram had a run where they received several D1AA-D2 transfers and none lasted more than a semester.
July 13, 1904

1837Tigers

Last day for the buy 1 Monon DVD, get 2 free offer.  The 1994 game is no longer available.  Supplies are low on some other years.

HCAlum86

Had my buddy from Indy tell me that DePauw is loaded this year. Granted, he is a biased alum; but is there any merit to that statement? He has been down on the Tigers in recent years, so I took note of his optimism.
July 13, 1904

wally_wabash

Quote from: HCAlum86 on August 19, 2016, 12:25:37 PM
Had my buddy from Indy tell me that DePauw is loaded this year. Granted, he is a biased alum; but is there any merit to that statement? He has been down on the Tigers in recent years, so I took note of his optimism.

Should be a pretty sweet preview for DePauw going live at Tuesday's Kickoff launch.  :)
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

HCAlum86

Quote from: wally_wabash on August 19, 2016, 01:49:32 PM

Should be a pretty sweet preview for DePauw going live at Tuesday's Kickoff launch.  :)

Thanks Wally. On the whole, seems like our conference has some good depth this year. Should be exciting.
July 13, 1904

Old Gold Tiger

DePauw's program continues to grow with 140 listed on the 2016 roster:

http://depauwtigers.com/sports/fball/2016-17/roster

HCAlum86

Quote from: Old Gold Tiger on August 19, 2016, 05:17:42 PM

Does that clash with the school's administration at all? Often I see schools bring in big number (admin is thrilled) and then have awful retention rates (admin angry). I know DePauw is a fine institution, that's why I wonder how those number rub some of the higher-ups. 
July 13, 1904

sigma one

I think that administrators care less about students dropping off the team if they stay in school.  The attrition threat gets attention when a students leave the team and then drop out of school.  Leaving the team in itself is not a bad thing; just consider how many freshmen start in a program and how many are still on the roster as seniors.  Often I've seen, as an example, say 45 freshmen become 15 seniors.  What happens to the other 30 is the crucial point.  Additionally, problems occur when the football team profile does not match the profile of the entire student body.  That is to say, when for whatever reason football players of lesser academic ability are routinely admitted and then don't make it as students.  There's the attrition problem at a few places.
      As far as I can tell, schools like DePauw and Wabash retain most of the students who leave the team.  They find other productive places to go on campus and remain contributing members of the student body.  Among other things, this is a credit to the caliber of student-athletes these schools, and others like them, recruit.  Admissions controls entry requirements so that their football teams look a lot like everyone else academically; they are just bigger, stronger, faster.   

DPU3619

Quote from: HCAlum86 on August 20, 2016, 05:07:19 PM
Quote from: Old Gold Tiger on August 19, 2016, 05:17:42 PM

Does that clash with the school's administration at all? Often I see schools bring in big number (admin is thrilled) and then have awful retention rates (admin angry). I know DePauw is a fine institution, that's why I wonder how those number rub some of the higher-ups.

The bigger issue in years past has been getting them to pony up the financial aid for that many kids. I was told a few years ago that there was a cap on how many recruits DePauw could bring in and how much money the school would give to get those kids away from other (and cheaper) schools.