BB: WIAC: Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by BDB, December 30, 2005, 09:19:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

badgerwarhawk

Quote from: Jack Parkman on April 26, 2018, 04:31:45 PM
Quote from: badgerwarhawk on April 26, 2018, 10:55:39 AM

I haven't seen the video but in real time it appeared Aeillo had the ball and was in the base path.  By rule Ott was required to slide.  He made absolutely no attempt to do so.  I have no idea and can't speak to what was going through his mind but it was clear by his actions that his intent was to take Aeillo out.  It was unnecessary and he was ejected.  Aeillo did get up and walk away eventually.  Hopefully he'll be ok and ready to play this weekend in Platteville.

Just curious if anyone else was ejected for leaving their position?  I saw a couple of UWW guys come sprinting in but no punches thrown.  Wondering if the umpires looked at that as a threat?  Also, those are my kind of guys, coming in hot after someone did that to a teammate.

It didn't appear that anyone else was being disciplined but I suppose it's possible the league will review the video and could take some other corrective action.
"Just think twice is my only advice."

Jack Parkman

Quote from: badgerwarhawk on April 26, 2018, 06:58:09 PM
Quote from: Jack Parkman on April 26, 2018, 04:31:45 PM
Quote from: badgerwarhawk on April 26, 2018, 10:55:39 AM

I haven't seen the video but in real time it appeared Aeillo had the ball and was in the base path.  By rule Ott was required to slide.  He made absolutely no attempt to do so.  I have no idea and can't speak to what was going through his mind but it was clear by his actions that his intent was to take Aeillo out.  It was unnecessary and he was ejected.  Aeillo did get up and walk away eventually.  Hopefully he'll be ok and ready to play this weekend in Platteville.

Just curious if anyone else was ejected for leaving their position?  I saw a couple of UWW guys come sprinting in but no punches thrown.  Wondering if the umpires looked at that as a threat?  Also, those are my kind of guys, coming in hot after someone did that to a teammate.

It didn't appear that anyone else was being disciplined but I suppose it's possible the league will review the video and could take some other corrective action.

Thats good.  You never know how much the Umps will get in on that.

houdini

Quote from: badgerwarhawk on April 26, 2018, 09:48:43 AM
For those of you who haven't attended UW-W KMA is another way to say kiss my ass.
Whut?  I goed to Stout, eye kan bearly reed.  Koud u tipe sloer...  I thought you were good at not feeding the trolls BW.  Not all of us can be those special people who went to schools were they take requisite classes to teach them to be elitist pretentious dicks.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: houdini on April 26, 2018, 09:59:34 PM
Quote from: badgerwarhawk on April 26, 2018, 09:48:43 AM
For those of you who haven't attended UW-W KMA is another way to say kiss my ass.
Whut?  I goed to Stout, eye kan bearly reed.  Koud u tipe sloer...  I thought you were good at not feeding the trolls BW.  Not all of us can be those special people who went to schools were they take requisite classes to teach them to be elitist pretentious dicks.
:)

Hey, you knew how to use "requisite", "elitist", and "pretentious" correctly, so Stout did a pretty good job!

BigSpotScott

Quote from: bleedpurple on April 26, 2018, 05:20:44 PM
Quote from: BigSpotScott on April 25, 2018, 11:05:09 PM
Quote from: bleedpurple on April 08, 2018, 12:32:46 AM
Quote from: TitanDoubles on April 07, 2018, 11:23:59 PM
Quote from: badgerwarhawk on April 07, 2018, 07:25:24 PM
We haven't kept it a secret and have been doing it long enough that at the least the conference commissioner should know about it.  I don't know the rules that well but I'm doubting your understanding.  We simply purchased advertising from Fox Sports.  I suspect Oshkosh could do the same.

WARHAWKS take two ten run rule shortened games with Stout 14-4, 11-1 today.  Bryden goes 4x5 with 4 RBIs and Jones gets 8Ks and the win in game one.  Rentz allows 4 hits and strikes out 6 while Sontoro gets 3 hits and a pair of RBI in game two.   

A balmy 33 was the best it got today.  Two more tomorrow.
It's a violation. You can't recruit athletes via advertisements on TV. If you could I guarantee you would see every D1 school doing it. Especially something like UW-Milwaukee basketball.
I'd be interested in knowing how you are going to stand behind your guarantee. Or are those empty words? It is absolutely not a violation. Is UW-W ahead of the curve on this? Yes. As usual. There are restrictions on current student athletes' roles in advertisements. That's why former athletes are participating. it would be great if you would produce the rule being violated or admit you are wrong. I predict you will do neither.

I ran across this thread and found this very interesting. What raised my suspicion is that in the hundreds of ads I've seen for colleges on ESPN, BTN, etc. during college sports games, not once have I seen highlights of sports and/or mention of national championships and athletics. When athletes are featured, they talk about academics. The ads are truly to get people to go to the colleges as students, not student-athletes.

That brought me to this website:
https://web3.ncaa.org/lsdbi/search/bylawView?id=103405#result
Specifically, 13.4.2.1
"The publication of advertising or promotional material, by or on behalf of a member institution, designed to solicit the enrollment of a prospective student-athlete is not permitted."

Now, for those of you who attended UWW, "permitted" is another word for "allowed". So unless you truly believe that UWW showing highlight after highlight, and having former players and current coaches talk about winning national championships is somehow NOT targeted at prospective student-athletes, then I guess UWW is in the clear. However, I think people who don't "bleed purple" would find this highly suspicious if not illegal.
BigSpotScott,
Since I am used to hanging around UW-W guys, I recognize that you are probably the most intelligent human being I have ever attempted to communicate with, so I admit to being fairly intimidated as I try to construct sentences properly in this post. I know you will correct me, but I love learning, so being educated by a genius is an honor. You cite the following sentence:

"The publication of advertising or promotional material, by or on behalf of a member institution, designed to solicit the enrollment of a prospective student-athlete is not permitted."

Because of the use of the singular in referencing the student-athlete, it appears to me that this rule prohibits using promotional material to recruit "a prospective student-athlete" rather than student athletes in general.  If the NCAA wanted to ban all advertising, they certainly could have done so without the phrase "designed to solicit the enrollment of a prospective student-athlete".

So if a school is recruiting "Tommy Smith from DePere", they can't run an ad in the DePere Journal saying, "Tommy, the Titans love you and need you, please enroll at UW-0".  That would be advertising designed to solicit the enrollment of a prospective student-athlete.

Sorry about that miscommunication. If you click my link and read the entire rule, you will see the NCAA shift to using athletes (plural) in their examples. Clever rebuttal though (seriously).

Touching on another point, I don't believe the NCAA or the WIAC stand to gain anything from enforcing this rule. UWW is probably the most recognizable D3 college in the country, so the WIAC definitely has nothing to gain as this would only hurt their prestige. On the other hand, the NCAA has much more pressing issues like D1 player recruitment, and making sure I can never buy an new College Football video game. Besides, the ad is obviously ineffective as we see UWW's dynasty coming to an end.

The reason I reintroduced this topic is twofold. One, I love irritating UWW fans who are easily butt-hurt. And two, I really wanted a better explanation than "they must have done their research, so it must be okay" or "they haven't gotten in trouble, so it's clearly legal" (Paraphrasing here). Under that logic, Hillary Clinton's email server was within the law.

Go Warhawks!

bleedpurple

Quote from: BigSpotScott on April 26, 2018, 11:40:03 PM
Sorry about that miscommunication. If you click my link and read the entire rule, you will see the NCAA shift to using athletes (plural) in their examples. Clever rebuttal though (seriously).

Touching on another point, I don't believe the NCAA or the WIAC stand to gain anything from enforcing this rule. UWW is probably the most recognizable D3 college in the country, so the WIAC definitely has nothing to gain as this would only hurt their prestige. On the other hand, the NCAA has much more pressing issues like D1 player recruitment, and making sure I can never buy an new College Football video game. Besides, the ad is obviously ineffective as we see UWW's dynasty coming to an end.

The reason I reintroduced this topic is twofold. One, I love irritating UWW fans who are easily butt-hurt. And two, I really wanted a better explanation than "they must have done their research, so it must be okay" or "they haven't gotten in trouble, so it's clearly legal" (Paraphrasing here). Under that logic, Hillary Clinton's email server was within the law.

Go Warhawks!

So you are willing to own up to two of your motives, but probably not the third.  Now, along with UW-W, you've impugned the WIAC and the NCAA. Nice. However, since you are the one attempting to cast suspicion upon an action as a possible violation by UW-W, the burden is on YOU to establish the violation.  Here is the pertinent information from the link you posted.  Please show me the rule UW-W is violating:

13.4.2 Advertisements and Promotions.

13.4.2.1 Recruiting Advertisements. The publication of advertising or promotional material, by or on behalf of a member institution, designed to solicit the enrollment of a prospective student-athlete is not permitted. Accordingly, a member institution may not buy or arrange to have space in game programs or other printed materials published to provide information concerning the athletics participation or evaluation of prospective student-athletes (e.g., recruiting publications and multi-media such as list-serves, or other electronic media) for any purpose whatsoever, including advertisements, a listing of prospective or enrolled student-athletes who will attend the institution and informative materials related to the institution. (Revised: 1/13/98, 1/9/06, 4/29/09, 1/31/18)

13.4.2.1.1 Exception -- Nonathletics Institutional Advertisements. An institution (or a third party acting on behalf of the institution) may publish nonathletics institutional advertisements in nonathletics high school or two-year college publications (e.g., yearbooks, newspapers, music programs, prom programs) and other nonathletics publications or produce nonathletics institutional promotional material (e.g., use of signs, kiosks, distribution of printed materials, television and radio advertisements, electronic advertisements) for use at high school or two-year college athletics events or during broadcasts of such events, provided: [D] (Revised: 1/15/11 effective 8/1/11)

(a) The funds generated by the advertisements or promotional material are not used for a high school or a two-year college's athletics program;

(b) The institution's athletics department is not involved in the advertisements or promotional material; and

(c) The advertisements or promotional material do not contain athletics information.

13.4.2.1.2 Exception -- College/High School Shared Home Facility. A member institution may advertise and upgrade its home facility even if that facility is also the home facility for prospective student-athletes (e.g., high school football stadium). (Revised: 1/9/06)

13.4.2.1.3 Summer-Camp Advertisements. Advertisements of an institution's summer camp or clinic in such recruiting publications are permissible if placed in a periodical (other than a high school or two-year college game program) that includes a camp directory. [D] (Revised: 1/11/94, 1/9/06)

13.4.2.2 Miscellaneous Promotions. Member institutions and their representatives of athletics interests are prohibited from financing, arranging or using recruiting aids (e.g., newspaper advertisements, bumper stickers, message buttons) designed to publicize the institution's interest in a particular prospective student-athlete. [D] (Revised: 1/13/98)

I honestly don't see one single thing in here that addresses what UW-W is doing.

TitanDoubles

Quote from: BigSpotScott on April 26, 2018, 11:40:03 PMTouching on another point, I don't believe the NCAA or the WIAC stand to gain anything from enforcing this rule. UWW is probably the most recognizable D3 college in the country, so the WIAC definitely has nothing to gain as this would only hurt their prestige. On the other hand, the NCAA has much more pressing issues like D1 player recruitment, and making sure I can never buy an new College Football video game. Besides, the ad is obviously ineffective as we see UWW's dynasty coming to an end.

Go Warhawks!
I would argue the WIAC would stand to lose a prospective baseball member who might be thinking along the lines of "We would have a hard enough time competing with these guys and now they're cheating!?!? No thanks."

TitanDoubles

Quote from: bleedpurple on April 27, 2018, 01:57:11 PMSo you are willing to own up to two of your motives, but probably not the third.  Now, along with UW-W, you've impugned the WIAC and the NCAA. Nice. However, since you are the one attempting to cast suspicion upon an action as a possible violation by UW-W, the burden is on YOU to establish the violation.  Here is the pertinent information from the link you posted.  Please show me the rule UW-W is violating:

13.4.2.1 Recruiting Advertisements. The publication of advertising or promotional material, by or on behalf of a member institution, designed to solicit the enrollment of a prospective student-athlete is not permitted. Accordingly, a member institution may not buy or arrange to have space in game programs or other printed materials published to provide information concerning the athletics participation or evaluation of prospective student-athletes (e.g., recruiting publications and multi-media such as list-serves, or other electronic media) for any purpose whatsoever, including advertisements, a listing of prospective or enrolled student-athletes who will attend the institution and informative materials related to the institution. (Revised: 1/13/98, 1/9/06, 4/29/09, 1/31/18)

13.4.2.1.1 Exception -- Nonathletics Institutional Advertisements. An institution (or a third party acting on behalf of the institution) may publish nonathletics institutional advertisements in nonathletics high school or two-year college publications (e.g., yearbooks, newspapers, music programs, prom programs) and other nonathletics publications or produce nonathletics institutional promotional material (e.g., use of signs, kiosks, distribution of printed materials, television and radio advertisements, electronic advertisements) for use at high school or two-year college athletics events or during broadcasts of such events, provided: [D] (Revised: 1/15/11 effective 8/1/11)

(a) The funds generated by the advertisements or promotional material are not used for a high school or a two-year college's athletics program;

(b) The institution's athletics department is not involved in the advertisements or promotional material; and

(c) The advertisements or promotional material do not contain athletics information.

13.4.2.2 Miscellaneous Promotions. Member institutions and their representatives of athletics interests are prohibited from financing, arranging or using recruiting aids (e.g., newspaper advertisements, bumper stickers, message buttons) designed to publicize the institution's interest in a particular prospective student-athlete. [D] (Revised: 1/13/98)

I honestly don't see one single thing in here that addresses what UW-W is doing.
Really? You don't see anything? Let me underline and bold a few that I see.

1. An institution (Whitewater) is arranging space (a commercial) with information about athletics via electronic media (TV).
2. Whitewater's athletic department is involved.
3. The advertisement does contain information about athletics (they show a whole list of national titles).

badgerwarhawk

Meanwhile....

After beating Platteville 14-3 in a run rule shorthened first game the WARHAWKS needed a 5 run 9th inning rally to pull out game two 7-6.  Renz was sharp getting the win in game one.  The senior went 6 innings, surrendering 2 runs (1 earned) on 3 hits while walking 3 and striking out 12.  Mulkuski and Michalski each pitched an inning in relief.  Aeillo had 3 hits and 4 RBI.  Santoro and Aldridge each had a pair of RBI.  The Pioneers took the early 4-2 in game two and added a pair of runs in the eighth.  Pitching cost the Pioneers in the ninth as they loaded the bases with a pair of walks and a hit batter with no outs.  Two runs scored when Fleishman followed with a single and another scored when a third strike got away from the catcher cutting the deficit to a single run.  Doud tied the game with a single and Szubert drove in the winning run with a sacrifice fly.  Heilenbach started and went 6.2 innings allowing 8 hits, 4 earned runs with a walk and 5 Ks.  Gruetzmacher got the win surrendering 2 earned runs on 2 hits and a walk in 2 innings of relief. 

In the rest of the league Point took a pair from Illinois Tech 11-2 while the Titans and Blue Devils split 7-2 Titans, 6-5 Blue Devils. 

bleedpurple

Quote from: TitanDoubles on April 27, 2018, 02:49:51 PM
Quote from: bleedpurple on April 27, 2018, 01:57:11 PMSo you are willing to own up to two of your motives, but probably not the third.  Now, along with UW-W, you've impugned the WIAC and the NCAA. Nice. However, since you are the one attempting to cast suspicion upon an action as a possible violation by UW-W, the burden is on YOU to establish the violation.  Here is the pertinent information from the link you posted.  Please show me the rule UW-W is violating:

13.4.2.1 Recruiting Advertisements. The publication of advertising or promotional material, by or on behalf of a member institution, designed to solicit the enrollment of a prospective student-athlete is not permitted. Accordingly, a member institution may not buy or arrange to have space in game programs or other printed materials published to provide information concerning the athletics participation or evaluation of prospective student-athletes (e.g., recruiting publications and multi-media such as list-serves, or other electronic media[/color]) for any purpose whatsoever, including advertisements, a listing of prospective or enrolled student-athletes who will attend the institution and informative materials related to the institution. (Revised: 1/13/98, 1/9/06, 4/29/09, 1/31/18)

Really? You don't see anything? Let me underline and bold a few that I see.

1. An institution (Whitewater) is arranging space (a commercial) with information about athletics via electronic media (TV).
2. Whitewater's athletic department is involved.
3. The advertisement does contain information about athletics (they show a whole list of national titles).

TD,
The part you bolded and underlined prohibits advertising in a very specific type of publication whose purpose is game programs or other printed materials published to provide information concerning the athletics participation or evaluation of prospective student-athletes .  Fox Sports Wisconsin's purpose is not to provide information concerning the athletics participation of prospective student-athletes.  Basically, this rule is saying "No advertising in game programs, rating publications, or recruiting publications."  Fox Sports is none of those.

I really can't help you beyond pointing out that you are reading the rule wrong. I suspect if either of you (TD or BSS) intended to do anything other than impugn UW-W without being held accountable, you would contact the NCAA, report the violation, and report back to us what you were told.

CtheBigPicture

First post, long-time reader.  The Oshkosh AD reported this to the conference office in the fall, they looked at it, checked with the NCAA and both said there is no violation.

cubs

Quote from: CtheBigPicture on April 30, 2018, 10:46:20 AM
First post, long-time reader.  The Oshkosh AD reported this to the conference office in the fall, they looked at it, checked with the NCAA and both said there is no violation.
I'm shocked...    ::)

Maybe he should worry about what's going on at his own campus instead?!?!
http://www.wbay.com/content/news/DOJ-files-felony-charges-against-former-UWO-chancellor-vice-chancellor-480951171.html
2008-09 and 2012-13 WIAC Fantasy League Champion

2008-09 WIAC Pick'Em Tri-Champion

badgerwarhawk

Quote from: CtheBigPicture on April 30, 2018, 10:46:20 AM

Like we wouldn't have taken the time to check it out to begin with.  Way too funny.

badgerwarhawk

The WARHAWKS plated an even dozen runs in the second inning and scored a season high 17 while shutting out the Pioneers Sunday.  O'Sullivan started allowing 3 hits, walking 1 and striking out 3 in 3 innings.  Michalski got the win surrendering 3 hits and striking out 1 over the next 3 innings and Sigmund finished the seventh both walking and striking out a single hitter.  Offensively the WARHAWKS had seven extra base hits including 4 doubles, a triple and 2 home runs (Sturdevant & Schrader).  Bryden and Schrader each had 3 RBIs.  Santoro had a pair of RBI and Aldridge, Fleischman, Doud Jensen and Szubert each had 1. 

The WARHAWKS opened game two with a pair of runs in their first at bat but the Pioneers answered with 3 of their own in the bottom half.  A single WARHAWKS run tied it in the third but the Pioneers answered and regained the lead 4-3 in their at bat before the WARHAWKS regain the lead for good with two in the fourth and stretched it with a run in the fifth as well as 2 in both the sixth and eighth innings making it 10-4.  The Pioneers cut it to 10-5 with one in the eighth and made it interesting with a 3 run home run in the ninth and by bringing stranding a pair to end the game.  Kaska improved to 7-1 on the season allowing 7 hits, 4 runs (2 earned) with a walk and 7 strikeouts over 7 innings.  Muir allowed a run (earned) on 1 hit walked and struck out 1 batter in 1 inning.  Makuski struggled allowing 3 hits, 3 runs (2 earned) in .1 inning.  Grutezmacher earned his 4th save of the season pitching the final .2 inning.  Aldridge had 3 RBIs while both Bryden and Doud had a pair.  Aiello also added a single RBI.

Around the league:

Point takes a pair from Illinois Tech 3-0, 3-1.  Oshkosh beats Stout twice 9-1, 10-5

badgerwarhawk

Out of conference:

Illinois Tech (9-7):  Beloit (W 4-3), Mass. College of Liberal Arts (L 4-5, W 7-5),  Olivet (L 1-6), Cazenovia (W 5-2). Fitchburg State (W 4-0, W 1-0), Keene State (L 6-14),  Milwaukee School of Engineering (W 7-0, L 1-5), Wisconsin Lutheran (w 11-7, W 9-3), Carthage (L 3-13, L 0-15), Chicago (L 13-18), Arora (W 5-3)

La Crosse: (9-5):  St Thomas (W 2-0), Southern Maine (W 12-11), Spalding (L 2-4), College of New Jersey (L 2-3), SUNY Brockport (W 9-7), RIT (W 5-0), lllinois Wesleyan (W 18-5), Benedictine (L 4-5), Webster (W 4-2), Concordia - Chicago (L 3-8, L 8-14), St Scholastica (W 6-4, W 14-11), St Thomas (W 6-2)

Oshkosh (13-2): Wabash (L 4-5), Transylvania (W 9-1, L 10-14), St Thomas (W 4-3, W 6-3), Ripon (W 7-1), St Scholastica (W 4-2), Lawrence (W 15-1), Washington & Jefferson (W 11-1), Grinnell (W 8-0,), Benedictine (W 13-3), Thomas (W 20-0), Wis Lutheran (W 11-2), Milwaukee School of Engineering (W 12-2, W 10-7)

Platteville (6-10): Aurora (L 1-3), Olivet (L 6-7), Spalding (L 1-11), Anderson (L 5-9), Spalding (L 2-12), DePauw (W 15-13), Fonbonne (L 3-13, L 3-5), Rose Hulman (L 3-20), Chicago (L 6-7), Rose Hulman (W 8-6), Belhaven (L 5-10, W 10-8, W 15-12), Millsaps (W 8-7), Edgewood (W 6-4)

Stevens Point (7-3): St Olaf (W 3-1, W 9-6), Western New England (L 1-2), Washington & Jefferson (L 4-5, W 6-0), Keuka (W 20-0), St Thomas (L 1-6, W 5-2), Colby (W 4-2), Colby (W 10-5)

Stout (3-8): Augsburg (L 0-3, L 5-8), Hamline (L 2-9, W 6-2), Edgewood (W 15-9), St Michael's (L 2-3, L 2-4), North Park (L 7-16), Lakeland (W 9-5), Augustana (L 3-5), SUNY-Plattsburg (L 7-10)

WARHAWKS (9-2): Babson (W 5-3), Hope (W 11-1), Washington & Jefferson (W 8-1), Lawrence (W 9-4), Grinnell (W 16-4), St Olaf (L 3-6), St Thomas (L 0-3), Ripon (W 15-3, W 11-5), St Scholastica (W 13-1)

Through 4/30
Overall: 56-37 .602

The WARHAWKS defeated St Scholastica 13-1.  Jones started and got the win allowing 1 hit and striking out 10 in 5 innings.  Gruetzmacher finished the final two innings striking out a pair and surrendering 3 hits.  Doud had a huge game belting 2 home runs and driving in 6.  Krause also homered good for a pair of RBIs.  Bryden, Schrader, Aldridge and Fleischman each had an RBI.