Empire 8

Started by boobyhasgameyo, March 12, 2005, 12:24:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magicman

Quote from: Cyclone0205 on December 01, 2012, 07:04:32 PM
I wanted to stay very quiet as to not jinx it.  And I will kick myself if they go out and start laying eggs.

That being said, I saw all the preseason talk about everyone else but have seen this team twice at my alma maters tournament to start season, and a little team in Hoboken now has 2 wins against Top 25 teams after overcoming a 10 point halftime deficit to beat Williams up at Williams.  Shhh

*Goes back to trying to rock everyone else back to sleep*

Cyclone,
I've been watching Stevens as well and early this morning I made out the schedule for the D3 Men's National Pick Em League Board over on the Multi Regional Topics page. I've got the Stevens-NYU game next Sunday as my weekly finale. The Ducks will get a chance to knock off another Top 25 team. They have to be the frontrunner for the E8 title at this stage of the season based on their OOC success. I was going to post something about Stevens ever since their win over Willie Pat back on the 17th. I decided to wait and see who woud come on the E8 board and plug the Ducks. Now that you've let the cat out of the bag, I can blame you if the Ducks start a losing streak. ;D   

thebear

Quote from: dcahill44 on December 02, 2012, 03:11:01 PM
Week 2 East Region Power Rankings                                                                             Records
1.Rochester have the best player in the region John Dibartolomeo and have a real good team 8-0
2.Stevens have beat 2 top 25 teams including Williams yesterday 5-0
3.Cortland have beat in my opinion 2 Good Teams in Ithaca and Plattsburgh 5-0
4.NYU lead by Leading scorer Carl Yaffe could have trouble in a real tough conference UAA 4-0
5.Nazerath led By Tyshun Stephens and Brad Ford have played tough teams including Rochester, Buff State, Hobart, St John Fisher 5-2
6.Hartwick hasnt played anyone that good, Jared Sudderly is a very good player ,should be in the hunt for the Empire 8 title. 5-2
7.Buffalo State first 3 games are as tough as anyone and only loss is to Nazerath at home. 4-1
8. Oswego State pretty good team led by Hayden Ward havent played anyone so far besides Plattsburgh and Lost. 4-1
Ithaca, Medaille, Hobart will be in the Mix at the end of the year

Nazareth - is how it's spelled as in Jesus' hometown.
"Just the Facts, Ma'am, Just the Facts"
- Sgt. Joe Friday

sjfcards

Fisher wins BIG over AU, beating the Saxons by 45. I don't know what to make of this Fisher team. They have certainly taken care of the teams I expect them to beat, but have had two poor performances against the 2 upper echelon teams.

I don't know how good they are. I think they could be pretty good, but I need to see it against a quality team before I fully buy in. Not sure...
GO FISHER!!!

Ethelred the Unready

Quote from: sjfcards on December 01, 2012, 09:28:54 AM
Quote from: Ethelred the Unready on December 01, 2012, 07:25:16 AM
Quote from: sjfcards on November 30, 2012, 09:36:03 PM
Fisher never quit tonight against a really good U of R team, but could never dig out of a huge hole they dug themselves in the first half. Fisher could not make anything in the first 10-12 minutes, and U of R made a ton of 3's and Fisher was down 40-20 at the half. Fisher was able to cut the lead down to 9 at one point, but U of R made another run, and eventually put Fisher away. U of R by 13.

Hard to judge much from the game for Fisher. I was happy with the way they played in the second half, but the first half was so bad, it is tough to know what team is the real Fisher.

U of R on the other hand looked like the real deal. John DiBartolomo (sp?) was by far the best player on the floor, and had a great game. U of R is really solid.

I wonder how much U of R's success comes from playing in the Palestra.  They have shot lights out in every game except against RIT in the first round of the Wendy's and I think that was at Hobart.

DiBartolomeo was just named one of the top 25 players in the UAA over the past 30 years.  I haven't seen him play in person yet, but plan on going to Clinton next week to watch U of R play Hamilton.

Two really good points. I felt like everything U of R put up from 3 went in. They just didn't miss all night. At the free throw line I don't think U of R missed one, and they shot a lot of them.

I knew DiBartolomeo could score from looking at the box scores, but I couldn't believe how good he was at the defensive (especially his perpensity for getting a steal and a score every I felt Fisher was getting back into the game. He passed well, could take people off the bounce, and scored whenever he wanted to. One of the better players I have seen at the D3 level (for one game anyway).

Saw DiBartolomeo play in person for the first time last night at Hamilton.  I see what you mean about his defense.  Tenacious.  One play stands out.  He scored on a drive to the basket (one of many) and with his back to the inbounder, stole the in bound pass in the corner.  Have no idea how he saw it and I'm sure Hamilton is still wondering.  And I see where his assists come from now.  He is so good at getting to the rim (through 3-4 guys at times) defenses drop off to cover the lane and he somehow sees or knows that a team mate has spotted up waiting for a pass, usually for a 3.  Which Rochester is exceedingly good at converting. 

Watching the game I could only imagine what Rochester would have accomplished with Uche and Onyiriuka running with these guards.  Scary......
"Your mind is on vacation but your mouth is working overtime" - Mose Allison

Bombers798891

Five games into the regular season, and I have no clue what to make of the Bombers. At times, it looks like they're going to run other teams off the court (See: Second half vs. Wells, the opening six minutes of the 2nd half of the Elmira game). Other times they look like they just can't get into a rhythm.

The positives:

The team is much better on the boards so far this season. They are basically a +2 after being a -5 last year. They're also up about two steals a game (from 6 to 8). They are also getting to the line more (24 foul shots per game as opposed to 17). They're less reliant on three point shooting this season, and they seem to be more active defensively, allowing 8 points a game less than last season. There's no way Andrei Oztemel shoots 25% from three all season (He's shot better than 40% each of the last three seasons), which should help the offense a lot.

The negatives:

Opponents are actually shooting better from the field against the Bombers than they were last season, with most of the eight point difference coming from significantly worse free throw shooting (which IC can't control), a slightly less slower pace, and fewer three-pointers being attempted (the percent made is largely unchanged). The team's own turnover rate is up nearly an identical rate as their opponents. Even if you're not reliant on three pointers, shooting 24.2% from three is never going to be a positive.

Overall, I think one of the wild cards is Travis Warech. His last two seasons at St. Michael's were very different:

2010-2011: 13.6 PPG, 44% FG, 40% 3-FG,
2011-2012: 7.8 PPG, 35% FG, 27% 3-FG

This year: 11.6 PPG, 33% FG, 1-12 on threes.

If he can get back closer to his 2011 numbers, and Oztemel regresses back to his mean of 40% from downtown, this team is going to be really, really, tough to stop offensively. But if Warech struggles continue, or Oztemel's caught whatever affected Sean Leahy in 2009, I think we'll continue to see these uneven performances. I still think the former is more likely, and expect to see the Bombers winning the E8 crown

sjfcards

Fisher beat Elmira last night to move to 2-0 in the conference. I was at the game and maybe it was just me but Elmira looked pretty good for an 0-7 team. Thy play defense and Fisher was ever really able to put them away.

Either way I am glad Fisher was able to take care of business in the two home conference games against teams that figure to end in the bottom of the league standings this year. Basically holding serve. This Fisher team is way ahead of last year, but still needs to show something against the good teams on their schedule.

I like Lott at point, even for a freshman. Plata is playing well, and Ambielli has been really good so far. Norsen is one of the better bigs around. What drives me crazy with this team is players like Kinard and Weir. When Weir is on he is great but he can be streaky. Kinard has a lot of physical gifts but is out of control too much and takes possessions off on defense.

When Fisher shoots the ball they are going to be tough to beat. When they don't...not so much.
GO FISHER!!!

sjfcards

Anyone else watching this Fisher game...just terrible. Fisher has a split personality this year.
GO FISHER!!!

dcahill44

Empire 8 Standings right now has to be
1. Stevens 6-1 a little Suprising for me to be at the top of the Empire 8
2. Nazareth 7-2 expect Nazareth to be the 1 or 2 seed by the end of the year
3. Hartwick 6-3 Hartwick will definetly be in the hunt to host
4. Ithaca 3-3 expected more out of this team but are known to get off to a slow start
5. St John Fisher 5-2 has a premier big guy which a lot of Division 3 teams dont have
6. Utica 3-4 dont think they will get into the empire 8 tournament Aaron Nevins is a solid player
7. Alfred 2-6
8. Elmira 0-7
9. Houghton 0-6
Expect Stevens, Nazareth and Hartwick to be the top 3 teams in position to host at the end of the year the other 2 teams St John Fisher and Ithaca will compete for that last spot to get into the Empire 8 tournament. Top 5 teams are all solid team. Nazareth or Stevens will most likely host in my opinion will battle it out until the Final Regular season games. it is possible for 2 teams to get at large bid at the end of the year depending on other Conference tournaments and and who wins the Empire 8 tournament.

dcahill44

Cortland At Nazareth and Laroche vs Ithaca 2 good games tommorow i have Nazareth by 2 71-69 and LaRoche over Ithaca by 11 79-68

jdex

Cortland 78, Nazareth 59

Flyers within 47-44 with 13:24 to play, then scoreless over five minutes while RDragons behind B. Manning and J. Winter ignition rise to 64-47 bulge. Cruse control from there for 7-1 Corts who place four in double figures. Guests shoot over 50 percent from the field including 10x20 threes. Naz, 7-3, top producers J. Giles and M. Mills with 11 pts apiece.

dcahill44

Nazareth had a real tough time shooting the ball today... That was one of the Cortland teams ive seen in at least 5 years. Naz had it to 47-44 and Cortland made a big 3 in the corner and they never looked back. Its hard to win when your 2 best players combine for 16 points. Shot 19% from 3 and  field goal percentage was 38%. Next 2 games will be big for the flyers as they host Hartwick on Friday the 4th and Host Stevens the 5th of January. 2 tough games heading into the Empire

sjfcards

Fisher dominating Pitt-Bradford through the first half. Up 29 at half time, 54-25. Fisher shooting well from 3, continuing the Jekyll and Hyde theme for this season. When they shoot like this they are really tough to beat. When they don't...
GO FISHER!!!

Bombers798891

Quote from: sjfcards on December 16, 2012, 02:40:15 PM
Fisher dominating Pitt-Bradford through the first half. Up 29 at half time, 54-25. Fisher shooting well from 3, continuing the Jekyll and Hyde theme for this season. When they shoot like this they are really tough to beat. When they don't...

True enough. No team, save Grinnell, would lose a game in which they went 17-of-34 from three point range

sjfcards

Fisher continues to frustrate me. They went on a mini-run about mid way through the first half, and opened up an 11 point lead. Fisher looked to be taking control, Baruch took a full timeout and outscored Fisher by 8 the rest of the way. Fisher is up by three at the half, but once again, had a chance to pit a team away early, and allowed them to hang around. Hopefully Fisher can pull this out in the second half.

Clarkson awaits the winner.
GO FISHER!!!

Bombers798891

Quote from: sjfcards on December 29, 2012, 08:43:18 PM
Fisher continues to frustrate me. They went on a mini-run about mid way through the first half, and opened up an 11 point lead. Fisher looked to be taking control, Baruch took a full timeout and outscored Fisher by 8 the rest of the way. Fisher is up by three at the half, but once again, had a chance to pit a team away early, and allowed them to hang around. Hopefully Fisher can pull this out in the second half.

Clarkson awaits the winner.

Some of this is just the natural ebb and flow of a basketball game. If a team maintains a strong lead throughout almost all of a game and then blows it in the last five minutes, okay, yeah that's one thing (Ithaca's 09-10 team did that frequently, on both sides). But this looks like two even teams who each got one decent run in the opening half—Fisher an 11-1 one over 1:45, Baruch a 14-4 one over 5:09. Fisher and Baruch played within four points of each other for something like 37 of the 40 minutes of game time and there were eight ties.

It's sort of like that old saying "Anecdotes don't make for good data." Runs tend to be anecdotes (at least when you're playing a team that's probably close to your equal) so it's best not to get caught up in it. If a team maintains a level of play for 15-20 minutes, okay you're onto something. But it looks like the Cardinals just had one very brief stretch of play where they hit their shots and Baruch didn't, and the rest of it was pretty closely played.