FB: Presidents' Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:14:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wally_wabash

Quote from: SaintsFAN on December 08, 2015, 12:22:45 PM
*I have no idea how Goose Cohorn was not a 1st team WR.  There aren't 4 better WR's than him in the South Region.  I can concede Ramos from HSU with his big plays but Goose is better than the other three listed in front of him.  If you watched any of the TMC games and/or film, his hands and ability to break big plays jumps out at you.  Anyways, just wanted to go on record with this thought.

I agree completely.  I guess they lost that lovin' feeling where Cohorn was concerned.  Really unfortunate- I thought Goose deserved 1st team there. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

jknezek

W&L didn't really have stand out players. This year was a team effort in that a lot of guys were good, but no one really stood head and shoulders above the rest with "all star" stats. A good example is the rushing game. You'd think since we were tops in the country ypg we'd have a back that was considered for all region, but look at below.

Connor Chess 882 yards
Marshall Hollerith 850 yards
Charlie Nelson 755 yards
Walker Brand 682 yards
Duncan Maxwell 607

After that there were a few guys with 200+ on the season. So it was a ton of yards, but not one player generating them. We did have a Soph LB with 105 tackles, but after that there are a mess of guys with 60-80. So pretty spread out on the glory stats on both sides of the ball.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: ExTartanPlayer on December 08, 2015, 01:52:41 PM
Congratulations to Coach Scafe and Thomas More.

From CMU, Sam Benger was a first-team RB and Ted Garibaldi was a first-team OL (I imagine that blocking for a 2000 yard rusher helps get some attention to the OL...I maintain that my all-region selection occurred solely because of our two 1,000 yard backs), with Brian Khoury first team DL and Drew Fitzmorris a first-team DB.

Well, ever since that questionable decision :) we've tried to improve our process on offensive linemen. I email every D-III head coach and ask them for their opinion on the best offensive linemen they faced or saw on video. It definitely helps because there aren't statistics consistently kept for linemen, etc.

Similarly we ask them about cornerbacks -- who are the guys that they throw away from? Sometimes the guys with few interceptions are actually the best ones.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

ExTartanPlayer

Quote from: Pat Coleman on December 08, 2015, 09:43:48 PM
Quote from: ExTartanPlayer on December 08, 2015, 01:52:41 PM
Congratulations to Coach Scafe and Thomas More.

From CMU, Sam Benger was a first-team RB and Ted Garibaldi was a first-team OL (I imagine that blocking for a 2000 yard rusher helps get some attention to the OL...I maintain that my all-region selection occurred solely because of our two 1,000 yard backs), with Brian Khoury first team DL and Drew Fitzmorris a first-team DB.

Well, ever since that questionable decision :) we've tried to improve our process on offensive linemen. I email every D-III head coach and ask them for their opinion on the best offensive linemen they faced or saw on video. It definitely helps because there aren't statistics consistently kept for linemen, etc.

Similarly we ask them about cornerbacks -- who are the guys that they throw away from? Sometimes the guys with few interceptions are actually the best ones.

That's really impressive dedication to getting the picks right (or at least as right as you can get them; even after playing offensive line for a very, very long time, I can't say that I could watch a game and always clearly identify the best guy on each OL).  Kudos to you guys for doing the work.
I was small but made up for it by being slow...

http://athletics.cmu.edu/sports/fball/2011-12/releases/20120629a4jaxa

E.115

So I have a question for any of you DIII history buffs out there -- 1984 Season:

Case Western Reserve (9-0) defeats Washington and Jefferson (8-1) by a score of 34-16. 

Anyone know why Washington and Jefferson made the DIII playoffs that season and not Case Western Reserve?

Here is the 1984 DIII playoff bracket: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1984_NCAA_Division_III_football_season#Conference_champions

Case Western Reserve football record:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cn6hpx03ymdjm9j/12-10-2015%2012-19-59%20AM.jpg?dl=0

jknezek

Because those were the bad old days of smoky rooms and back room deals...

Ralph Turner

Quote from: E.115 on December 10, 2015, 03:23:25 AM
So I have a question for any of you DIII history buffs out there -- 1984 Season:

Case Western Reserve (9-0) defeats Washington and Jefferson (8-1) by a score of 34-16. 

Anyone know why Washington and Jefferson made the DIII playoffs that season and not Case Western Reserve?

Here is the 1984 DIII playoff bracket: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1984_NCAA_Division_III_football_season#Conference_champions

Quote from: jknezek on December 10, 2015, 08:27:32 AM
Because those were the bad old days of smoky rooms and back room deals...
+1!  The current arrangement gives every team a chance at the title!

E.115

Well darn. I was kind of hoping for a better explanation.  Thanks gentlemen!

wally_wabash

Quote from: E.115 on December 10, 2015, 03:23:25 AM

I could be making things up here, but:

- In 1984 they were still picking just 8 teams total and, I believe, it was specifically 2 teams per geographic region.
- If we look at the bracket, you've got Union/Plymouth State (East), Augustana/Dayton (North), W&J/Randolph-Macon (South), Central/Occidental (West). 
- CWRU would have needed to be one of the best two teams in the North region...so they were never really competing for a spot in the tournament with W&J directly. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

jknezek

That seems like a much better explanation.

E.115

Neat to see next year's freshman already getting announced across the country today.

I've seen a few PAC schools listed browsing the "signings" lists

A quick google for Case Western Reserve so far:

Justin Friedsam WR/DB (6-2, 185) - Menlo-Atherton (Atherton, CA)
Mario Robaina RB/CB - Belen Jesuit (Miami, FL)
Brett Marcus OLB/TE - Science Hill (Johnson City, TN)
Avery Abraham SS/RB - Mason (Mason, OH)
Conner Hall WR (6-2, 185) - Blue Valley Northwest (Overland Park, KS)

ADL70

Add

Kevin Chrissis    CB/WR   5-10   188     Upper St Clair PA
Patrick Crossey S/WR   6-1   190    Pittsburgh PA (Plum)
Julian Kinard   QB/CB   6-0   170     Damascus MD   QB-ed state champ team
Austin Navarette   WR   6-2   200     Ft Worth TX (Northwest)
Spiros Romell      G           6-4   260    North Olmsted OH

Update -- another from Cali

Reed Gershenson G/DT   6-2   250  San Juan Capistrano CA (JSerra)

Nine Eleven from seven eight different states from Florida to California.  To my recollection those would be the first from Tennessee or Kansas.

Last year there was only one commit announced on "signing day."

In other Spartan news:

DB coach Rodrik David has taken a scouting assistant job with the Atlanta Falcons.

New Eastern Kentucky HC Mark Elder (2000) has three other former Spartans on his staff, OC Angelo Miranda (2008), TE/OTs Tommy Zagorski (2007), and RBs Greg Meyer (2010).

I also saw a tweet about new concept unis for 2016.

SPARTANS...PREPARE FOR GLORY
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO
Think beyond the possible.
Compete, Win, Respect, Unite

ADL70

Looks like there will not be a ninth conf game in the near future as CMU has scheduled Claremont-Mudd-Scrips and Rochester for 2018-2019.  Also MIT for 2020-2021.

http://athletics.cmu.edu/sports/fball/2015-16/releases/20160205jmat5c

I'd like to see CWRU and CMU set up a rotation opening the season with either WUStL, Chicago, or Rochester.
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO

ExTartanPlayer

Quote from: ADL70 on February 13, 2016, 10:02:10 AM
Looks like there will not be a ninth conf game in the near future as CMU has scheduled Claremont-Mudd-Scrips and Rochester for 2018-2019.  Also MIT for 2020-2021.

http://athletics.cmu.edu/sports/fball/2015-16/releases/20160205jmat5c

I'd like to see CWRU and CMU set up a rotation opening the season with either WUStL, Chicago, or Rochester.

I spoke to our AD and HC about this a few weeks ago.  I don't know if it will happen with the former UAA schools specifically, but I do know that the CMU athletic director mentioned that he was/is committed to making sure that the CMU team gets at least one "trip" game a year...his feeling was that since the rest of the CMU teams (still competing in the UAA) will always get road trips to a nice cast of cities, he wanted to make sure that the football team still got to travel a bit, now that all of the conference games are within driving distance.  Hence the motivation for CMS and MIT.

Of course, if the PAC mandated a ninth league game, perhaps CMU would drop those games.
I was small but made up for it by being slow...

http://athletics.cmu.edu/sports/fball/2011-12/releases/20120629a4jaxa

ADL70

Three more Spartan commits (two more states heard from):

Aedan Ayer       OT/NT  6'2 265  Fairfield CT Prep
Ryan Coolidge    QB      6'3185  Chicago IL St Ignatius
Derek Clontz      OT      6'4 270  Imperial PA West Allegheny  All State HM also two hoops letters (usually a sign of good mobility)
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO