FB: Liberty League

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonny Utah

Quote from: Oline89 on December 10, 2019, 08:32:06 AM
Quote from: Jonny Utah on December 10, 2019, 07:43:27 AM
Quote from: Bartman on December 09, 2019, 04:20:22 PM
Quote from: Oline89 on December 09, 2019, 02:54:12 PM
Has any LL team announced OOC schedule for 2020 yet? Isn't IC travelling to John Carroll?
The only team I noticed that has its schedule up was Alfred(2020, 2021) and they play Ithaca at home and @ Rochester in 2020. I was thinking that the LL should schedule UMU and UMHB while they are slumping ;D. I was going to make a TOP comment regarding scheduling, but I am a bit concerned with the obsession shown by many here, including myself, but hey sometimes you just gotta make the time ::)

Bartman the people have spoken.  Everyone wants more TOP talk.  Don't ever be ashamed or concerned about our love for TOP and everything associated with it. 

But in terms of OOC games, I looked on the John Carrol Website and they have the game at Ithaca next year, with no game in 2021 (JCU has some of their future schedules up). 

Also noticed that 3/4 d3 semifinalists have d1 transfer quarterbacks as their starters.  It's almost as if d3 coaches need to keep in touch with former recruits who choose d1.  It would be interesting to know if there was any connection between these QB's and the d3 teams before the transfer or what those connections were.  I guess it isn't much different than any other d1 transfer though.

Interesting about the QBs.  Sure goes along with the indisputable fact that winning football in 2019 hinges on QB play.  I watched Muhlenberg QB in person 2 weeks ago and streamed game last week.  He really controlled the field, checked down on receivers, ran when he needed to, read the blitzes well.  I haven't seen the St John's or UWW  kids yet, but man, the North Central QB can sling it.

The St. John's QB is legit.  I actually watched two full St. John's games on youtube and that team has a chance to win it all.  Well balanced and big/physical with a top QB. 

MUC57

Has any LL team announced OOC schedule for 2020 yet? Isn't IC travelling to John Carroll?
The only team I noticed that has its schedule up was Alfred(2020, 2021) and they play Ithaca at home and @ Rochester in 2020. I was thinking that the LL should schedule UMU and UMHB while they are slumping ;D. I was going to make a TOP comment regarding scheduling, but I am a bit concerned with the obsession shown by many here, including myself, but hey sometimes you just gotta make the time ::)

Bartman

I can't speak for UMHB but I don't think a slumping Mount Union wants to play anyone from the LL.
My guess is they may try to schedule a bottom tier NAIA team or a club program. Hey, when you're struggling, you travel a different path.
Good luck to all the LL teams in 2020! See you next year!  ;D
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

Jonny Utah

Quote from: MUC57 on December 10, 2019, 08:50:36 AM

Bartman

I can't speak for UMHB but I don't think a slumping Mount Union wants to play anyone from the LL.
My guess is they may try to schedule a bottom tier NAIA team or a club program. Hey, when you're struggling, you travel a different path.

Yea I'm surprised we haven't heard any talk of Mount Union looking to drop their program entirely.  Real sad to see what's going on up there.

MUC57

Quote from: Jonny Utah on December 10, 2019, 09:00:43 AM
Quote from: MUC57 on December 10, 2019, 08:50:36 AM

Bartman

Yea I'm surprised we haven't heard any talk of Mount Union looking to drop their program entirely.  Real sad to see what's going on up there.

Jonny Utah

Yes! And Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all!  🎄 🍾 😀

I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

Oline89

Huh, Joe Germ named d3football.com offensive player of the year for the East region.

Bartman

Quote from: Oline89 on December 10, 2019, 11:14:27 AM
Huh, Joe Germ named d3football.com offensive player of the year for the East region.
I think the LL Coaches have a better idea on who had the most impact , especially in critical games and that was Double I. The Germ is very talented , and  his  outstanding performance in the Hobart game makes me glad he won't be back next year. So, I counted 15 LL players on the ALL Region, with 5 for Ithaca(1 returning ), 5 for Union (4 returning) , 4 for Hobart(ALL RETURNING) and 1 for St. Lawrence(returning)....10 out of 15 returning should keep the LL competitive.
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

Jonny Utah

Quote from: Bartman on December 10, 2019, 12:42:07 PM
I think the LL Coaches have a better idea on who had the most impact , especially in critical games and that was Double I. The Germ is very talented , and  his  outstanding performance in the Hobart game makes me glad he won't be back next year. So, I counted 15 LL players on the ALL Region, with 5 for Ithaca(1 returning ), 5 for Union (4 returning) , 4 for Hobart(ALL RETURNING) and 1 for St. Lawrence(returning)....10 out of 15 returning should keep the LL competitive.

I summed up my thoughts in a previous post I believe, but in terms of national rankings and overall skill and talent, he is probably the best player in the east.  But he couldn't beat RPI and Ike could.  I have zero problem with either award. 

UfanBill

YES congratulations to ALL the Liberty League players that received recognition but I'm not in agreement with naming Middlebury coach Bob Ritter as East Region Coach of the Year. I'm sure he did a fine job but how can you ignore Union HC Jeff Behrman? Come on Pat, the NESCAC?

I would have loved to see Union WR Griffen Beal on that list. To me he was the true leader and in many ways the MVP of their offense. Well, I'm recognizing him.  ;D

Am I unaware of something? In looking at the Ithaca players all 5 are listed as seniors. Bartman who's returning? Is someone wrongly designated or coming back PG?

NO RPI players ???...pity  ;)
"You don't stop playing because you got old, you got old because you stopped playing" 🏈🏀⚾🎿⛳

Pat Coleman

Ritter, Sherm Wood, Behrman, Mangone all quality candidates. We still consider the NESCAC part of Division III and the East Region until told otherwise, though.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Oline89

Quote from: Jonny Utah on December 10, 2019, 01:37:53 PM

I summed up my thoughts in a previous post I believe, but in terms of national rankings and overall skill and talent, he is probably the best player in the east.  But he couldn't beat RPI and Ike could.  I have zero problem with either award.

Germ had a great season, setting several IC records in the process I am sure.  I agree that he had to considered for player of the year, I am wondering a little about being named a Gagliardi semi-finalist.  Does he really meet all 3 criteria? 

Jonny Utah

Quote from: Oline89 on December 10, 2019, 02:39:23 PM
Quote from: Jonny Utah on December 10, 2019, 01:37:53 PM

Germ had a great season, setting several IC records in the process I am sure.  I agree that he had to considered for player of the year, I am wondering a little about being named a Gagliardi semi-finalist.  Does he really meet all 3 criteria?

1. Athletics (Yep)
2. Academics (Made it into grad school so yup  ;D)
3. Community Service (I'm not sure, don't know too much about this one)

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: Pat Coleman on December 10, 2019, 02:11:07 PM
Ritter, Sherm Wood, Behrman, Mangone all quality candidates. We still consider the NESCAC part of Division III and the East Region until told otherwise, though.

Greco??????????? Replaced 8 out of 11 offensive starters and made the National Quarterfinals. Tsk. Tsk. Tsk. ;)

Pat Coleman

Quote from: jmcozenlaw on December 10, 2019, 08:13:03 PM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on December 10, 2019, 02:11:07 PM

Greco??????????? Replaced 8 out of 11 offensive starters and made the National Quarterfinals. Tsk. Tsk. Tsk. ;)

Also briefly discussed. Started at preseason No. 14 and ended season in the round of 8, so ???????????? yourself there.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

SpringSt7

No one had Middlebury contending for the NESCAC this year--probably picked in the 4-6 range of a 10 team conference--and became the first team to go 9-0 since the league added the 9th game (a whopping 3 years ago). Middlebury had always run an Air Raid offense but their QB didn't have the arm for it so they retooled into a run-heavy offense despite the fact that they graduated 4 OL and the QB won POY.

I don't know anything about the LL or the rest of the region, but just felt obligated to share. Definitely an interesting pick from my limited knowledge, however.

Machiavelli

Quote from: SpringSt7 on December 10, 2019, 10:18:57 PM
No one had Middlebury contending for the NESCAC this year--probably picked in the 4-6 range of a 10 team conference--and became the first team to go 9-0 since the league added the 9th game (a whopping 3 years ago). Middlebury had always run an Air Raid offense but their QB didn't have the arm for it so they retooled into a run-heavy offense despite the fact that they graduated 4 OL and the QB won POY.

I don't know anything about the LL or the rest of the region, but just felt obligated to share. Definitely an interesting pick from my limited knowledge, however.

Well, you seem like a good guy. How do you feel about TOP?