BB: Regionals (South) 2012 CNU

Started by rolln2, December 16, 2011, 08:21:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rolln2

I guess I should have started this as a new post instead of posting it under 2011 regionals.  Does anyone know or has anyone heard any information about possible 2012 regional sites?  I would assume the notifications would be made soon.

Boysofsummer21

Well after last year's selection for the South Regional it will be very interesting. Hope it s a little closer to home so maybe if lucky can see some games.  ;D

rolln2

Recently heard from some in the ODAC that RMC and CNU had both bid for the south regional.  Has anyone got any further info?  Also I don't believe either field has lights.  Will that matter?

Boysofsummer21

RMC? Hear their new field is nice but can the surrounding area support 8+ teams at one time? I do not remember the town being that big and having that many hotels etc. I think that if it comes down to a field with lights and a field without lights that lights win as it gives the NCAA more options and flexibility. Just my opinion.

D-BAT

Quote from: rolln2 on January 05, 2012, 10:07:59 AM
Recently heard from some in the ODAC that RMC and CNU had both bid for the south regional.  Has anyone got any further info?  Also I don't believe either field has lights.  Will that matter?

I would think lights are a must for an 8-team regional ... but a 6-team regional might be able to get it done w/o lights???

NoVa Baseball

I've heard CNU was considering a bid.  They do not have lights but are talking about installing them.  Doubt they can get that done by May though (the field is close to a residential neighborhood and the installation of lights would likely involve some considerable outreach effort).  The War Memorial Stadium is right down the road (in Hampton less than 10 miles away) and is still being used by the Apprentice School and the summer leagues.  War Memorial has lights and when coupled with the CNU stadium would make a great 8-team venue.  As for local infrastructure, Newport News has plenty of restaurants, hotels, and every other kind of store/park/museum you can imagine.  I'd like to see CNU get the regional. 

http://www.ballparkreviews.com/hampton/hampton.htm#

http://www.cnusports.com/sports/2010/2/18/BB_0218103833.aspx?

rolln2

Quote from: D-BAT on January 05, 2012, 06:49:02 PM
Quote from: rolln2 on January 05, 2012, 10:07:59 AM

I would think lights are a must for an 8-team regional ... but a 6-team regional might be able to get it done w/o lights???
Yes I agree that a six team regional would be possible.  NCW hosted several in the past w/o lights.  I also think that CNU would not want to go to War Memorial in Hampton eiither.  I believe they would want to host on the campus which is a much nicer area as well for the fans.

D-BAT

More detailed pics of Hampton's War Mem'l from Digitalballparks.com ... not sure when these pics were taken, but has the facility seen any major improvements over the last 5-10yrs?

http://www.digitalballparks.com/Carolina/Hampton.html

LTBB1971

2009 Regionals were the best I've seen in the last few years...I believe Salisbury hosted but we played all our games in the Aberdeen Ironbirds stadium.  I believe it was the Single A stadium for the Orioles...what an amazing facility.

rolln2

The 2009 regionals were hosted by Salisbury, but it was at the Delmarva Shorebirds stadium.  They are the low-A club for the Orioles.  You are right it is a very nice facility.

NoVa Baseball

Another option for CNU may be the William & Mary field.  It has lights and is only a 15 min drive from CNU.  If the CNU organizers had access to that facility, it could make for a great regional.   War Memorial is a nostalgic place, but as others have mentioned it is dated and in a part of town without much appeal.  The W&M field is in Williamsburg which is a great vacation spot with lots to do.  Hotels and restaurants between the two fields are superb.

http://www.tribeathletics.com/ViewArticle.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=25100&ATCLID=205060947

rolln2

Alright.  South regional will be played at CNU.  Thats great.  The USAS gets to keep it in their backyard.  That should be a nice venue and host area for the fans.  So I guess this also tells us that it will be a six team regional.  Since CNU has no lights.

rolln2

I saw that the south region 2012 preview is out.  Looks like the usual teams are picked to be there in the end.  Shenandoah, Salisbury, CNU, Piedmont, Methodist, Bridgewater, RMC, and newcomer to the south Birmingham Southern.  Although I think Birmingham will probably go to the central region if they make the NCAA tourney.  Looking at the rosters from some of these clubs.  It looks like some have lost a great deal.  Shenandoah, Salisbury and Birmingham lost key players on the hill and at the plate.  While CNU, Piedmont, and Methodist seem to have less spots to fill.

108 Stitches

If Birmingham makes it is as the SCAC champion, I belive they would go to the West. If they go as an at large then I am not sure where they would go. I am guessing it will depend on the rest of the brackets and how the NCAA places teams. Really not sure maybe someone else here has a better idea.

PNeal7

BS-C still has Bruce Maxwell, who is a force at the plate. We recruited him for our Valley League Baseball team, but with no luck as the rumor was he is being scouted pretty heavily and may sign. Jesse Meier, who did pitch for our VBL team, is an outstanding pitcher. He was 7-1 last season with a 2.70 ERA. This summer for us he pitched great, with an ERA around 3.60 I believe. BS-C should certainly be a top notch team, along with the usuals in CNU, Salisbury, Shenandoah, and RMC. I look for Walton from RMC to have an outstanding year, as he did so last year and had a wonderful summer in the VBL for the Waynesboro Generals.