WBB: American Southwest Conference

Started by Pat Coleman, March 17, 2005, 02:27:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

golfniz1

Messiah was a good basketball team and very well coached and to me they should have been #3 if not #2. Thomas Moore lost early in the tournament 65-55 to Ogelthorpe whom Messiah beat by 20 pts in the final 4 when the Stormy Petrels came in on a roll. In that final against HPU they had no answer for the zone they played .  My top 5 would be 1. HPU  2. Hope  3. Messiah  4. Thomas Moore  5.  Wisconsin Whitewater.  ASC is a good conference and can play with any conference in D3 and its only going to get better. With HPU winning the Walnut and Bronze  ??? hopefully with that draw better recruits to the Lonestar State and make our conference even better.  ASC will very much be able to compete with the UAA or NESCAC no doubt.

HOWARD PAYNE UNIVERSITY D3 NATIONAL CHAMPS that speaks for the ASC on its own merit!!!!!

Ralph Turner

Quote from: mytwocents on March 26, 2008, 05:09:53 PM
Excuse me Ralph.  I did not see it posted here but Messiah did beat DePauw by 14 on a neutral court.  I understand you are proud of HP and your conference (deservedly so) but cut us Yankees some slack. :)  You would rank Messiah 6th?  Geesh. IMHO D3hoops final ranking is spot on.  Whatever, Best Wishes to You and all the HP faithful.
Thanks for the comment.

I went back to the DePauw record and saw the three quality losses... at Thomas More, to Messiah in Cancun by 14 and at BSC (with Reba Ross) by 13.  (You can see how much difference Reba Ross meant to B-SC.)  DePauw ran the table in the SCAC.

I appreciate the discussion by the contributors.  Even tho' 11th place at 361 votes is respectable, Simpson at 10th and 362 votes is just so close and sounds more impressive!

Sand Man

If HPU had to play Messiah 3 more times this season, twice at home, and once in Messiah, IMHO Messiah would have learned from HPU just like McM did, and would have played HPU much closer in those games.  Until a team matched up against it, I don't think they could fully appreciate how good "swarm" zone defense HPU plays.  I know that I would not want HPU to have to face Nikki Lobach again, after she's had an opportunity to get familiar with the players and the defense.  As such, I believe Messiah was a better team than McM, and well deserving of the #3 final ranking.

I'd also say if Meia Daniels was prepared for tournament play by Amber Horton's and Brown's defense, which I would.  I'd also say Amber Horton and Brown became better defenders for McM, as a result of facing the DIII Player of the Year more times than any other players in the country this season.  You can't help but become very familiar with each other, playing as often as these two teams have (12 times over the past 4 years, of which, by the way, HPU won 10 of the 12, with an average margin of victory of 13 points per game).

Without a doubt, the ASC as a whole helped set the stage for HPU's road to the National Championship.  Not just this year, but for the past several years, and the final results speak for themselves.
"As important as athletics are to many of us, they should be trumped by academics when it comes to our colleges and universities" - Jake B. Schrum, Southwestern University President

Sand Man

Congratulations to the UMHB and LeTourneau women's basketball teams, coaches, and fans for being awarded the ASC Sportsmanship Awards for Winter Sports.

Hats off to HPU and LC men as well, for the same.

http://www.ascsports.org/Pdfs/gen/2008/3/26/WinterSAACSportsmanship0708.pdf

"As important as athletics are to many of us, they should be trumped by academics when it comes to our colleges and universities" - Jake B. Schrum, Southwestern University President

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Ralph Turner on March 26, 2008, 01:29:04 AM

I believed that the power conferences in the country at the top were the SCAC, the WIAC, Hope and the ASC.

On my mythical ballot, I would place them this way:

1)  HPU
2)  Hope (a very close second, too)
3)  UWW
4)  DePauw
5)  McMurry  (Please permit me my homerism here...  ;) )

6)  Messiah
7)  Oglethorpe (just because they ran out gas, lacking a post at this level).
:D :D :D
I went to our old friend Massey.

Here is his final computation.

Team                W    L      Rating          Sched       Conf
*Howard Payne3401.683(1)1.09(5)ASC
-1Hope3011.161(2)0.49(25)MIAA
-2WI Whitewater2941.118   (3)1.57(1)WIAC
-3DePauw28   40.905(4)0.90(9)SCAC
-4   WI Stevens Pt   24   50.903(5)1.25   (3)WIAC
-5   McMurry2550.889   (6)0.92(7)ASC
-6Messiah303   0.887(7)0.60(17)Mid Atl
-7WI Eau Claire23   70.851( 8 )1.43   (2)   WIAC

He "snuck" Stevens Point in on me.  ;)

Massey MOV

dballa

He also gave HPU an extra win.  Does he count the bye in the tournament as a victory :)

Pat Coleman

Ralph provided the link if you'd like to look for yourself.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

dballa

I saw that a while back before the conference tournament.  It showed HPU at 26-0.  They counted the Dallas Christian game twice.  I wonder if the 2nd one was taken out how that would affect the strength of schedule if it did at all.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: dballa on March 27, 2008, 09:42:55 AM
I saw that a while back before the conference tournament.  It showed HPU at 26-0.  They counted the Dallas Christian game twice.  I wonder if the 2nd one was taken out how that would affect the strength of schedule if it did at all.
I think it would make it better!  ;)

Ralph Turner

Hi ASC Fans!  I just realized one other thing...

We are gonna hafta look at the HPU women hoisting the Walnut and Bronze on the banner across the home page of D3Hoops.com for a whole year, when Pat Coleman updates the banner!

:-\

I guess it is better to have HPU up there...than Hope or Messiah or UWW...

:D

golfniz1

Quote from: Ralph Turner on March 27, 2008, 03:19:58 PM
Hi ASC Fans!  I just realized one other thing...

We are gonna hafta look at the HPU women hoisting the Walnut and Bronze on the banner across the home page of D3Hoops.com for a whole year, when Pat Coleman updates the banner!

:-\

I guess it is better to have HPU up there...than Hope or Messiah or UWW...

:D

OH WHAT A BEAUTIFUL SIGHT THAT WILL BE! ;D

mytwocents

Just thought some HP faithfull would appreciate the read. Again Congrats you have a very special team this year.

Article on Messiah's memorable run by Falcons assistant athletics director for PR & Marketing, Cory Furman.

http://www.messiah.edu/athletics/womens_basketball/2007-08/stories/Mar_26.html

Sand Man

Quote from: mytwocents on March 27, 2008, 04:59:14 PM
Just thought some HP faithfull would appreciate the read. Again Congrats you have a very special team this year.

Article on Messiah's memorable run by Falcons assistant athletics director for PR & Marketing, Cory Furman.

Very Nice.  Thanks for sharing.  :)

Ralph Turner

Quote from: mytwocents on March 27, 2008, 04:59:14 PM

+1   :)

kate

Good morning, dballa.  You sound like such a great person, it really proves my theory that all of us who live & breath D3 basketball are like one big family.  We follow the Delaware Valley College Aggies - they're in the MAC, but in the other half - Messiah in the Commonwealth & the Aggies in the Freedom.  It would be fun to all get together one day.  In the meantime, congrats to HPU!  Almost forgot, DeSales is our sister school, also in the Freedom half of the MAC!