WBB: American Southwest Conference

Started by Pat Coleman, March 17, 2005, 02:27:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dballa

Kate thanks for the kind words.  I'm sure a few McMurry fans would disagree with you since we've had a little fun the past few years getting on each others nerves :)  I'm glad articles like those are written so we can actually see what these players are like off the court. 

golfniz1

balla you going to the Parade this weekend for the HPU Yellowjacket Womens D#3 National Champions?  Man does that sound nice! ;D

dballa

I definitely will be there in the morning.  Since I wasn't able to go to Michigan it will be a good chance for me to finally say congrats to the ladies in person. 

From what I hear Dallas Huston will be speaking along with Mayor Bert Massey as well as lunch being served.  I'm sure Coach K will get on the microphone too.  It should be a pretty fun morning.

golfniz1 are you and your family planning on coming?

golfniz1

My wife will be there, but I had to stay behind wished I could have gone.  The girls and especially #22 will be on my mind and in my heart.  What a special group of young ladies and their accomplishments.  Have to be considered one of the best D3 National Championship teams of all time. Have fun daballa wish I could there. >:(

golfniz1

mcmfan give me your prediction on next season in the ASC.

dballa

Don't worry you will still have one more big event to attend at the Brownwood Coliseum on May 10th.  I think #22 would rather see you there celebrating those achievements than at a parade :)

golfniz1

Amen my friend Amen :) I am not going to know what to do on weekends anymore now that 22 is graduating.  Guess I'm going to have to start playing golf.  My wife is going to love it. >:(

CruGuy

I know I'm a little bit late but congratulations to the women of both McMurry and Howard Payne on excellent seasons. This is a great time for the ASC. As I scan the baseball and softball polls it appears that we definetly have the ability to contend for other postseason awards and this is good for us all.

Congrats to HPU, the players, the students, the parents, administrators, and alumni, this is a day to celebrate :).

Sand Man

What an exciting day for the Howard Payne University faithful!  The parade, and ensuing celebration, in typical Baptist fashion, which included food and fellowship, was an outstanding tribute to the "Perfect Swarm".  Thank you Derrick Stuckly – Brownwood Bulletin sports writer – for coining that phrase.  The day included a proclamation by the State of Texas, the pronouncement of March 29th as "Lady Jacket Day" by the City of Brownwood, a little roasting of Coach K, and some very nice speeches by other dignitaries, including the university's beloved Chancellor, Dr. Don Newbury, Coach K, Meia Daniels, and Dallas Huston.  Rick Adkins, congratulations for being presented with an autographed basketball from Coach K.  The kids and I had to go through the line, but my daughter got the final team member signature she needed on her basketball, and the rest of the family got autographed pictures as well.

So many memorable moments today, to add to the multitude already accumulated this season and really over the past several years.  Notable moments today, included the 33 blue and gold flags that semi-circled today's events on campus.  That was a lot of flags, and then to realize that each one represented a winning game this season, helped to emphasize just how special a season this truly was.  Dallas Huston – the voice of the Lady Jackets radio broadcasts – summed it up best I think in stating that this may very well be the best team we'll ever see in our lifetimes.  This, coming from a man who has seen some really great teams, including several Gordon Wood era Brownwood High School football teams, over an impressive career of his own, speaks volumes about this year's Lady Jacket's success.  However, no one will soon forget that the freshman class is undefeated, and that the sophomore class is an amazing 61 – 2, mainly, because they won't let you.  Isn't that right coach?  Also, seniors, what a way to end a fabulous college career.  As you graduate, always know that you have a host of folks cheering for you, as you move from one stage in life and into another.  Some that you know very well, but many that you'll never know by name, but will never forget you.

From all of the wonderful comments made at today's events, my favorite came from Coach K himself, when he talked about what it takes to win a national championship.  While continually giving all of the praise and acknowledgement to his team and to the abilities and hard work of his players and staff, he capped it off this way, "When ya' got...ya' got!"

Congratulations 2007-2008 Lady Jackets, Coach K, Coach Hatfield and trainers.  You've definitely got it...and as a result, in the end, you got to experience it all.  I'm just grateful to have been able to share the ride.  It's been fun!  :D
"As important as athletics are to many of us, they should be trumped by academics when it comes to our colleges and universities" - Jake B. Schrum, Southwestern University President

Ralph Turner

HSU is the highest ranked team in the final Massey MOV rankings not to make the playoffs.

IMHO, had HSU beaten TU early in the season when Coach Briggs was rebuilding her team, HSU would have made the playoffs!

golfniz1

Very well put Sandman this team as posted before has to be rated as the best National Champion of all time in D3 womens basketball. They ended up being the only undefeated team in the NCAA that includes men and women teams.  They were a very balanced and deep team whom after watching the D2 games could have played with them too.  As daballa has stated before DEFENSE wins championships and that is a proven fact just look at HPUs defense they were relentless in these playoffs and throughout the year.  So HPU you enjoy your championship it was very well deserved and what a way for the seniors to go out.  YOU ARE TRULY #1  ;D :D :)

Pat Coleman

I think you might be a little off the deep end in saying they HAVE to be rated as the best national champion of all time.

There were four previous unbeaten national champions in Division III women's basketball. I suspect the 2000 Wash U team, which won the national semifinal by 34 and the title game by 46, would garner quite a few votes.

Wash U won its five games in the tournament by an average of 26.8 points.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

JACKET84

I agree with you Pat.  If HPU goes 33-0 next year and wins the national championship, then people can start making comparisons.  What Washington did is unbelievable, and that may never be done again by any team at any level.

Was it just me, or did anyone else at the ceremony want to laugh when our mayor got up and spoke and gave the proclamation?  Unless my mind is completely gone, I never remember him attending any HPU basketball games.  I find him to be quiet humorous.  At this last years HPU Homecoming parade, he wore his UT cap.

golfniz1

Hey Pat different times than back in 99-2000 it is alot harder to finish a season undefeated now than back then.  The payers are more sound in skills, bigger,faster, and stronger than those days. You have your opinions and I have mine.  What HPU did this year to me is hard to do finish the season undefeated with the quality of players that are out there playing in D3.  How many teams in the NCAA any Division men or women finished their seasons undefeated?  I would be willing to go out on a limb and say if HOPE would have won everyone would have said the same about them the best ever ,maybe even you.  So I will stick to my guns on this, no matter how insane it may seem to you.  Little harsh saying "I might be over the deep end."

WWWRHH

A Hope fan here....and I am not going to make any comments about the HPU / Hope game...

I don't think that everyone would have named this year's team the best ever D3 champion and maybe not the best Hope team  This year's edition was, in my opinion, deeper than the '06 team. 

The '06 team won every tournament game on the road and had to beat DePauw and  Washington U the same weekend.  The '06 group had three of this years starters, but also had Bria Ebels playing point guard.  Not to take anything away from Henderson and Green, but Ebels was possibly the best all-around player I have seen at the D3 level including Davis.   

However, Washington U. was a great team and not just for one year, so I think it would be hard to argue against the group that won four consecutive championships.  That is greatness.