East Region Fan Poll

Started by pg04, July 05, 2007, 09:44:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MRMIKESMITH

Just awaiting on one more ballot. Should have out at the end of day or early tomorrow morning.

MRMIKESMITH

While I wait for the last ballot...here is my projected East Regional-Ranking. My apologies if I your team is forecast to lose, this is strictly based upon current rankings. I also posted this in the 2019 Pool C discussion.

Hobart may end of regionally ranked at 8-2 at end of the year. Currently I think the East Region may end up:

1. Ithaca (10-0) (3-0)
2. Salisbury (9-0) (1-0)
3. Wesley (9-1) (2-1)
4. Cortland (9-1)(0-1)
5. Union (9-1) (1-1)
6. Delaware Valley (9-1)(1-1)
7. WPI  (10-0) (0-0)
8. Endicott (9-1) (0-1)
9. Hobart (8-2) (0-2)
10. Stevenson (8-2) (0-2)

Currently, Union has a .459 and that may not be enough considering the other regions.

MRMIKESMITH

Rank      Team             Previous    Points   
1)     Ithaca  (6)            1         60   
2)     Salisbury              2         54
3t)     Union                  3         44
3t)     Cortland               4         44
5)     Delaware Valley        5         34
6)     Wesley                 6t        30
7)     Brockport              8         20 
8)     Hobart                 6t        15
9t)     WPI                    9         10 
9t)     Endicott               NR        10
10)     Alfred                 10         5

Dropped Out: None

RV) Stevenson (3), W.Conn (1)

Key Game(s): Wesley #6 v. Montclair State (NR) , Misericordia (NR) vs. Wilkes (NR), W. Conn (RV) v. Framingham State (NR)

Voters: MANDGSU, RAMS1102, DUTCH BOY, Ufanbill, Oline89, Bartman

wesleydad

Quote from: MANDGSU on October 21, 2019, 05:55:48 PM
While I wait for the last ballot...here is my projected East Regional-Ranking. My apologies if I your team is forecast to lose, this is strictly based upon current rankings. I also posted this in the 2019 Pool C discussion.

Hobart may end of regionally ranked at 8-2 at end of the year. Currently I think the East Region may end up:

1. Ithaca (10-0) (3-0)
2. Salisbury (9-0) (1-0)
3. Wesley (9-1) (2-1)
4. Cortland (9-1)(0-1)
5. Union (9-1) (1-1)
7. WPI  (10-0) (0-0)
8. Endicott (9-1) (0-1)
9. Hobart (8-2) (0-2)

Currently, Union has a .459 and that may not be enough considering the other regions.

Plus Union will be behind Wesley on the board.  If Wesley wins out they will have a decent SOS and a 2-1 record against regionally ranked teams.  They would almost surely come off the board and maybe quickly giving Union a shot to get in.  That list would make a pretty good bracket.  Maybe the East will be true east if Ithaca wins out.  Would make for some good first and second round games.

MRMIKESMITH

Quote from: wesleydad on October 22, 2019, 11:54:57 AM

1. Ithaca (10-0) (3-0)
2. Salisbury (9-0) (1-0)
3. Wesley (9-1) (2-1)
4. Cortland (9-1)(0-1)
5. Union (9-1) (1-1)
7. WPI  (10-0) (0-0)
8. Endicott (9-1) (0-1)
9. Hobart (8-2) (0-2)

Plus Union will be behind Wesley on the board.  If Wesley wins out they will have a decent SOS and a 2-1 record against regionally ranked teams.  They would almost surely come off the board and maybe quickly giving Union a shot to get in.  That list would make a pretty good bracket.  Maybe the East will be true east if Ithaca wins out.  Would make for some good first and second round games.

It's definitely a possibility. With Husson out of the picture, it definitely helps. As every team that are current conference leaders can travel without flying, this saves the NCAA money. Nevertheless, Delaware Valley, Wesley, and Salisbury all can travel South to play teams such as Averett, R-MC, Bridgewater, and Muhlenberg. Similar to last year, you can easily for the first two weeks mix the Mid-Atlantic with East to Northeast teams and go as far as west to Case Western and Mount Union. If Ithaca ends up with a #1 seed based upon my projections, they can mix it up a tad and have Salisbury (current "#2" in East) switch with Muhlenberg (current "#2") in the South and play Ithaca in the 3rd round. Then Salisbury would travel (similar to 2011 going to UWW) to Mount Union, which is under 500 miles (saving the NCAA money) or otherwise a flight would be needed to travel to UMHB or UWW/SJU. As you may recall in 2011, if the SCIAC, NWC, and UMHB only needing flights, you can have the SCIAC/NWC winner of round 1 play a team like Wesley (wouldn't it be poetic justice if Wesley were to fly to Linfield for 2nd round match).

UfanBill

1. Ithaca (10-0) (3-0)
2. Salisbury (9-0) (1-0)
3. Wesley (9-1) (2-1)
4. Cortland (9-1)(0-1)
5. Union (9-1) (1-1)
7. WPI  (10-0) (0-0)
8. Endicott (9-1) (0-1)
9. Hobart (8-2) (0-2)

Then there's this: What if Union beats Ithaca and finishes 10-0. Or wins the LL but finishes 9-1 losing to Utica. What if Cortland beats Ithaca after losing to Brockport? Salisbury wins the NJAC but stumbles against say CNU? Misericordia somehow wins the MAC? You could have a whole bunch of teams finish 9-1. What would the seeding look like? Point is a lot can still happen. Love thinking and talking about this stuff.
"You don't stop playing because you got old, you got old because you stopped playing" 🏈🏀⚾🎿⛳

MRMIKESMITH

Quote from: UfanBill on October 22, 2019, 04:44:38 PM

1. Ithaca (10-0) (3-0)
2. Salisbury (9-0) (1-0)
3. Wesley (9-1) (2-1)
4. Cortland (9-1)(0-1)
5. Union (9-1) (1-1)
7. WPI  (10-0) (0-0)
8. Endicott (9-1) (0-1)
9. Hobart (8-2) (0-2)

Then there's this: What if Union beats Ithaca and finishes 10-0. Or wins the LL but finishes 9-1 losing to Utica. What if Cortland beats Ithaca after losing to Brockport? Salisbury wins the NJAC but stumbles against say CNU? Misericordia somehow wins the MAC? You could have a whole bunch of teams finish 9-1. What would the seeding look like? Point is a lot can still happen. Love thinking and talking about this stuff.

I agree quite a bit can happen. If Union were to be beat Ithaca and end up 10-0 (2-0), they'd be #1, while Ithaca drops to #3. This would be much better for the East Regions as this would easily based upon SOS get more East teams in.

UfanBill

It's getting harder and harder to identify teams worthy of inclusion in the ERFP. The NJAC is top heavy and the MAC is crazy hard to rate because they don't play a balanced schedule and only one OOC game, often against an OOR opponent. That's why teams from New England are getting recognized. But the long asked question remains...how good are the NE teams? WPI is undefeated and beat RPI early but is that win really impressive? Endicott is 5-1 and lost a close one to Wesley. Western New England is 5-0 in Division 3. Western Connecticut is 6-0 but will they beat Framingham this week? And do we even consider 6-0 Middlebury? ::) New England has 5 D3 conferences, 4 of which get automatic qualifiers including the ECFC which may send a team with a losing record to the tourney. :o

Without stepping on Pat and D3 Football's toes there exists a look at what the media and coaches actually based in New England think. Since most of the NE league boards are largely silent it's hard to know what the thinking is up there. ITH radio has posted this link before but some of you may not be aware.  https://noontimesports.com/2019/10/21/d3-football-week-eight-poll-monday-oct-21st-2019/  Seems like we ERFP voters are getting it mostly right.     
"You don't stop playing because you got old, you got old because you stopped playing" 🏈🏀⚾🎿⛳

Caz Bombers

on the likelihood of how they might fare on neutral fields against the rest of us, I would put Middlebury anywhere from 1-4.

Practically speaking, however, I would not rank them at all for obvious reasons.

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: MANDGSU on October 22, 2019, 02:27:38 PM

1. Ithaca (10-0) (3-0)
2. Salisbury (9-0) (1-0)
3. Wesley (9-1) (2-1)
4. Cortland (9-1)(0-1)
5. Union (9-1) (1-1)
7. WPI  (10-0) (0-0)
8. Endicott (9-1) (0-1)
9. Hobart (8-2) (0-2)

It's definitely a possibility. With Husson out of the picture, it definitely helps. As every team that are current conference leaders can travel without flying, this saves the NCAA money. Nevertheless, Delaware Valley, Wesley, and Salisbury all can travel South to play teams such as Averett, R-MC, Bridgewater, and Muhlenberg. Similar to last year, you can easily for the first two weeks mix the Mid-Atlantic with East to Northeast teams and go as far as west to Case Western and Mount Union. If Ithaca ends up with a #1 seed based upon my projections, they can mix it up a tad and have Salisbury (current "#2" in East) switch with Muhlenberg (current "#2") in the South and play Ithaca in the 3rd round. Then Salisbury would travel (similar to 2011 going to UWW) to Mount Union, which is under 500 miles (saving the NCAA money) or otherwise a flight would be needed to travel to UMHB or UWW/SJU. As you may recall in 2011, if the SCIAC, NWC, and UMHB only needing flights, you can have the SCIAC/NWC winner of round 1 play a team like Wesley (wouldn't it be poetic justice if Wesley were to fly to Linfield for 2nd round match).

I do love the "Wesley and Salisbury can travel South to play Muhlenberg"..............................as they would be traveling 2-3 hours "North" (maybe more with traffic), to travel to the "South" :)

Doid23

Quote from: Caz Bombers on October 22, 2019, 06:11:49 PM
on the likelihood of how they might fare on neutral fields against the rest of us, I would put Middlebury anywhere from 1-4.

I'm curious (and I'm actually curious, haven't seen a NESCAC football game in years), what would make you think that? 1-4 seems pretty lofty. Yes, they are undefeated in the NESCAC, but they have won 4 games by a total of 13 points, and squeaked by 0-6 Colby 27-26. Do you think the level of play in the NESCAC is that high?  Obviously, no way to tell, but 1-4 would seem to say you do. 

Caz Bombers

Quote from: Doid23 on October 23, 2019, 05:48:41 PM

I'm curious (and I'm actually curious, haven't seen a NESCAC football game in years), what would make you think that? 1-4 seems pretty lofty. Yes, they are undefeated in the NESCAC, but they have won 4 games by a total of 13 points, and squeaked by 0-6 Colby 27-26. Do you think the level of play in the NESCAC is that high?  Obviously, no way to tell, but 1-4 would seem to say you do.

yeah, I kinda do. NESCAC teams tend to be a cut above in the vast majority of other sports, stands to reason they're getting a similar relative talent edge in football as well.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Caz Bombers on October 23, 2019, 06:27:29 PM
Quote from: Doid23 on October 23, 2019, 05:48:41 PM

yeah, I kinda do. NESCAC teams tend to be a cut above in the vast majority of other sports, stands to reason they're getting a similar relative talent edge in football as well.

Due to their success in (most) other sports, I also SUSPECT they would probably fare quite well in football.  BUT ... there is not one molecule of evidence one way or the other.  Until the NESCAC presidents decide to actually join D3 in football, the only logically sound policy is to just ignore their existence in making comparisons.