Liberty League

Started by Saint of Old, August 12, 2014, 12:14:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Golden_Fan

I would agree that they are more direct. I feel that they are less direct in years past though and this year I have seen more teams try to knock the ball around a bit more

Ommadawn

As the lone LL team in the field, SLU represented the league very well, but, alas, it was not to be.  SLU showed why they are deserving of their strong reputation.  With a constant influx of new talent and a bevy of skilled and athletic players returning, they will be back next year atop the league and, with better luck, a trip deep into the tournament.

deutschfan

Well for all of you who thought I was out to lunch when I made my LL POY predictions last month as least the NSCAA has vindicated me.  I predicted Copeland as Defensive POY and Beek as Offensive POY and both were named All-Americans today, and deservedly so.  This is not a knock on the actual LL recipients, but Copeland and Beek are a notch above.  As for my other picks, I still believe Andy Jennings at Vassar deserved COY.  Even though Chris Taylor at Clarkson beat him, and Taylor's squad played at a much higher level than in previous years, Vassar obtained the third seed on the backs of four freshman having lost their only returning All-LL player for the year due to injury.  St. Lawrence also had injuries but their depth is phenomenol as shown by the large number of All-LL and All-Region players this year.  Happy Holidays.   

Mr.Right

well deserved for Beek. I have been a big fan since his days in the preps

Ommadawn

In Beek and Bakewell, Skidmore has some giant shoes to fill next year.  Okoye appears to be well on his way to becoming the next superstar for the Thoroughbreds.

Mr.Right

Skidmore will stay competitive no doubt but will not have that go to guy to get goals against good teams.

deutschfan

With about 10 days until the athletes return to school it is about time to crank up the Liberty League board again.  Although most of the teams haven't posted their newcomers yet some things haven't changed--St. Lawrence looks incredibly strong and Union has the softest non-conference schedule in the league. 

Ommadawn

Quote from: deutschfan on August 10, 2015, 02:05:17 PM
With about 10 days until the athletes return to school it is about time to crank up the Liberty League board again.

I was thinking the same thing.  Saint of Old got the thread started at about this time last year.  I'll get one going for this year in a moment.

Saint of Old

Give me Liberty...

A very tough conference.
Unlike some above, I really don't think the boys from Canton will have an easy season.
Changing a coach after a quarter of a century will have an effect on any program.
New Coach has a more offensive approach, but still likes to play soccer.

Like the Williams boyz, the Saints are lucky enough to have someone at the head who has climbed the ultimate mountain with the team in a different role.

RPI should be good. They are losing two seniors (one who was a leader up top and another from the back) who were all-time greats for their program. Whoever inherits the #7 shirt will have big shoes to fill. A Program that is on the cusp of greatness, similar to Vassar, and has been for a long time. Underclass men will have to step up, but Coach Clinton could have a big year.

Vassar, as mentioned above has been a good team for a while now, but want to take the next step. To do so they will have to outplay RPI. One of the few teams that has proven they can win in Canton when it gets cold.

Hobart has to decide this year if it wants to be a Regional powerhouse, or a mid table team in their conference.
They made a great step making the conference tourney last year after a tough start to the season, but will have to continue that progress with teams like Union and RIT looking to take the playoff spot held by the Statesmen.

RIT is the Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde of the Liberty League.
Much will depend on their incoming class, but traditionally a team that can beat anyone in the league on their day, but also could lose to anyone as well. This is an important year to take a step for RIT, the pressure is on to move up from middle of the pack and really contend for one of those 4 playoff spots.

Union like RIT is a dangerous team, this teams biggest problem has been continuing to play well once the conference portion of the schedule comes around. They are close, and made the conference Tourney a couple years ago, but need consistency to get the respect they are due.

Clarkson begins the season with the reigning conference Coach of the Year at the helm. He will have to earn that title this year as Vassar will be looking to avenge a tough 2014 loss to the Knights. Losing to Bard at home last year was perhaps the lowpoint of the year, and life will be a bit tougher at the back after losing arguably the conference's best sweeper.

Rard as stated above shocked Clarkson and the league last year and almost did the same to Hobart. They will be a better team this year as the rebuilding process continues.

1970s NESCAC Player

I know you're Saint "of Old," but no one plays with "sweepers" anymore . . .

Saint of Old

Old habits die hard.

I occasionally still make references to "roaming Linkmen" which still makes sense to some of us have-beens :)

deutschfan

Back to Saint's analysis, I agree that RIT was a Jeckyll & Hyde team last year and that its freshman class might be an indicator of future success.  RIT posted its 2015 roster and it includes 15 freshmen.  It will be tough to acclimate all that new blood into the RIT system and keep everyone interested.  Still waiting on Bard, RPI, Skidmore, Union and Vassar to post their recruiting classes.  RPI and Skidmore do have big shoes to fill.   

Ommadawn

Quote from: deutschfan on August 24, 2015, 10:42:13 PM
Still waiting on Bard, RPI, Skidmore, Union and Vassar to post their recruiting classes.  RPI and Skidmore do have big shoes to fill.   

I saw these new LL recruits listed on one of the Mass boards:

Derrick Acheampong-FC Blazers-Nobles-Hobart & William Smith Colleges*
Pearse Martin-FC Blazers-Boston Latin-Skidmore*
Jason Miller-FC Blazers-Needham HS-Union College*

I only recall having seen the new Union player in action, and he'll be a fine addition to the Dutchmen.  He's relatively small, but he's quick, dynamic, and very skilled.  He can play multiple positions and brings a high level of intensity to the game. 

With respect to Skidmore, my impression last year was that a window of opportunity was closing.  A strong recruiting class can reopen the window, though!

deutschfan

Can't blame the coaches too much for their ranking of Skidmore.  Last year with an all-region and an all-American as strikers they were pegged to finish 2nd and actually finished 5th with a losing league record.  Once burned twice wary.  If you watch the Skidmore 2015 preview video the vibe is not overwhelmingly optimistic.