Liberty League

Started by Saint of Old, August 12, 2014, 12:14:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

soccerfan111

Quote from: deutschfan on September 03, 2015, 09:22:11 AM
First game shows a lot about SLU's depth.  Brundell and Short don't play (I take it by Saint's comment that at least one is injured), Smith doesn't start and they still cruise.  I also agree that it is tough to put players on the field and tell them just to pass the ball around when the score reaches 7-0 and it is on the coach when he has first stringers in when a game has gotten out of hand.

I have noticed that there are handful of guys that played significant minutes that haven't played yet this year. Both Short and Brandell are on the roster but haven't played. Are they hurt?

What bout these guys though that started games last year that aren't on the roster? Did they move elsewhere?

Sean Houston
Manny Collins
Seyefe Brouk

Also, what about Seyefe Brouk? He's been a key cog in the middle of the field for the past 3 years but he isn't even listed on the roster.

Ommadawn

Quote from: soccerfan111 on September 08, 2015, 03:31:05 PM
I have noticed that there are handful of guys that played significant minutes that haven't played yet this year. Both Short and Brandell are on the roster but haven't played. Are they hurt?

What bout these guys though that started games last year that aren't on the roster? Did they move elsewhere?

Sean Houston
Manny Collins
Seyefe Brouk

Also, what about Seyefe Brouk? He's been a key cog in the middle of the field for the past 3 years but he isn't even listed on the roster.

Thank you for bringing this up.  I had been meaning to ask Saint of Old about his status, as I thought Brouk had another season left.  He didn't get the accolades that some of his more decorated teammates received (holding center midfielders rarely do!), but I thought that he was one of the unsung heroes of the Saints the past couple of years. 

Saint of Old

Top scorer from last season is hurt unfortunately.
A Benz of a player.

Over the years the injury bug has hit the Saints hard.
Hopefully the freshman class will help.

soccerfan111

Quote from: Saint of Old on September 08, 2015, 09:56:43 PM
Top scorer from last season is hurt unfortunately.
A Benz of a player.

Over the years the injury bug has hit the Saints hard.
Hopefully the freshman class will help.

So that would mean Brandell is out. What about Short and the other guys (especially Brouk)?

Saint of Old

Many of the Saints have nagging injuries and will not make their debut until later in the year (hopefully). Better not to push anyone back too soon.
As for the holding mid of the last few seasons (One of my all-time favorite Saints), he had a serious injury last year that kept him out for almost half the year. he battled back like a star, but will be taking the year off this season to fully recuperate.
I really hope he comes back and finish his career strong next season.

The team might have a shot back in the 2011 season before being torn apart by injuries, it has been a constant problem since then it seems.

The positive is there is a chance for younger players to stake their claim early in the season.

Sandy

Brouk isn't injured. He can't play for reasons unrelated to soccer. I don't want to explain any further though since it's not for me to share.

SLU is looking good this year but I can't help but think they could have a little bit more of a challenge in the out of conference schedule. No more UofR? It could hurt them later on in the season.

Union always plays cupcakes out of conference which ends up hurting them come LL play and onwards should they make it. Same old story year after year.

Saint of Old

I know wayyy more than you might think Sandy.
What I said was the young man had a bad injury last year, will not play this year, and is a great Saint.
All of which is factual and correct info. Enough said.

Also, it is less important which schools are on the schedule than the competition in the squad.
The toughest battles must take place at practice for any team that has big ambitions.

Mr.Right

Wasn't the DeMello injury a dirty play from a Union player in 2012? Because I remember when Williams beat St.Lawrence in the NCAA;s in 2012 DeMello was injured. I felt bad for that kid because he was the heart and soul of that team and just a great player to watch. Williams and Trinity CT recruited him HARD but Williams could not get him in, Trinity CT did but DeMello chose St.Lawrence and the rest is history. I believe he from the Western MA area so most figured he would choose to stay close to home just down I-91 in Hartford but it was not to be. He would of elevated Trinity to another level as they got a Pool C in 2011 and would have gone deep IMO that year with him.

Sandy

Quote from: Saint of Old on September 10, 2015, 02:05:30 PM
I know wayyy more than you might think Sandy.
What I said was the young man had a bad injury last year, will not play this year, and is a great Saint.
All of which is factual and correct info. Enough said.

****. I was thinking of someone else. You're right.

Mr.Right

Quote from: Sandy on September 10, 2015, 12:23:36 PM
Brouk isn't injured. He can't play for reasons unrelated to soccer. I don't want to explain any further though since it's not for me to share.

SLU is looking good this year but I can't help but think they could have a little bit more of a challenge in the out of conference schedule. No more UofR? It could hurt them later on in the season.

Union always plays cupcakes out of conference which ends up hurting them come LL play and onwards should they make it. Same old story year after year.

I have to agree with you. St.Lawrence schedule is not as challenging as it once was. They are playing more than half the SUNYAC w/o Oneonta St. Curious as to whose decision was to drop the SLU v UR game....

deutschfan

Staying on the injury topic for a moment, there have been a rash of injuries at St. Lawrence and many other D3 schools that have suspended or terminated the careers of many top notch players.  The root causes are many but I throw out the following primary ones for debate: 1) General wear and tear sustained from K through high school as the number of practice and game hours before college has gone up dramatically; 2) Lack of formal education of players as to situations that are prime candidates for injuries, especially knee ligaments; 3) Referees who are loath to send off players for serious contact fouls as opposed to dissent or retaliation (years ago refs would pull reds automatically for unclean tackles from behind but no more); 4) Coaches who refuse to penalize players who create dangerous situations in practices or scrimmages; and 5) The increasing competitiveness of D3 soccer where many players now get little actual game time thus increasing their desire to make an impact in practice--these are players who generally have never been on the bench before college making their general level of frustration very high especially first years who have been told they will inherit the earth in the recruiting process.

Mr.Right

Personally, players today are just "softer" than they were 20 years ago. I understand season ending injuries and concussions but more and more players are missing games for reasons that 20 years ago would of been unheard of.

WilltheMan

I think the players today move faster, train harder and the collisions are more violent.  I was a pretty fair player, not sure I could move like these young men.  I also agree the late tackling has to stop, that's on the ref's and coaches.  I can remember our coach benching one of our better players for a tackle from behind.  He did it very publicly to diffuse the situation and set an example.  This was at the D1 level.  Good luck with that happening today.  I also think a more limited sub rule would curb some of the "sprint" until you drop tactics that are employed.  Leads to poor play and more injuries.

Mr.Right

C'mon,

20 years ago you would have guys playing an entire season with torn ACL's

Ommadawn

Skidmore down 2-0 with 25' to play against Potsdam despite having more shots and a ton of corners.