Started by Saint of Old, August 12, 2014, 12:14:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Right

Mind you I have only seen RPI, Skidmore and SLU on video but my Top 4 are:

SLU
RPI
Hobart
Skidmore

In no particular order. However, I could see one or two of those teams having impressive out of conference records and struggle in conference. I remember Hobart in 2012 or 2011 I cannot remember having a very impressive out of conference resume and record but falling short in conference play and did not even make the conference tournament and subsequently missed out on the NCAA's.

Saint of Old

As Usual Mr. Right on the ball.

Hobart v. Geneseo  (Tomm @2)

Should tell us about both teams really.
One team (perhaps the winner) will likely dance while the loser might have a tough time depending what happens in the League Tourney.

I think both teams are very similar, trying to get to the top of their respective leagues.
Hobart peaked in '09 and  were considered regional powers atleast.
last few years have not been so kind on them, but making the league playoff last season seems like a sigh of a program once again reaching to new heights.

Totally agree that the League Tournament should be 6 teams.
Really not fair that one of (SLU/Skidmore/Hobart/Vassar/RPI) will be on the outside looking in come November.

stlawus

Days like today show why we are extremely spoiled with the quality of SLU's home broadcasts.  Seems like every away team's broadcast never works. 

Mr.Right

I think SLU's broadcasts are one of the best in D3 along with RPI and Brandeis.

Ommadawn

Quote from: Mr.Right on September 18, 2015, 04:30:01 PM
I think SLU's broadcasts are one of the best in D3 along with RPI and Brandeis.

I agree. I also enjoy the broadcasts from Wheaton IL, Loras, F&M, Messiah, and WashU.

Saint of Old

SLU has scored 16 goals this season.
14 in the 2nd half.

stlawus

Injuries continue to hamper SLU as they draw with Cortland on the road 0-0.  Basically tradition now for the start of the season to be plagued by injuries.  Chandler Short finally comes back but Ryan Grant (leading scorer) simultaneously goes down.  Perhaps scheduling all these games against SUNYAC will be beneficial in the long run, as everyone seems to be quite strong.  Cortland has a vastly improved squad from last year.

Saint of Old

Hobart is back, a necessary win for SLU, Clarkson continues their subpar start to the season.

PaulNewman

RPI looks legit.  Now up 3-1 over Potsdam.

Saint of Old

Biggest problem for Potsdam is that no one else will ever underestimate them from here on out.
Burden of being a  good team.

Big difference trying to surprise people as opposed to having a bulls eye on your back.

SandyMac

SLU just needs to figure out how to consistently capitalize on their possession. The defense is, as usual, rock solid.  Need some young players to step up and start scoring more consistently.

stlawus

Quote from: SandyMac on September 21, 2015, 09:16:41 AM
SLU just needs to figure out how to consistently capitalize on their possession. The defense is, as usual, rock solid.  Need some young players to step up and start scoring more consistently.

Couple players being hurt is not doing them any favors.  Ryan Grant (leading scorer with 6 goals) has been out, and they just got back their #7 who snagged the game winner against Buff State.  The freshman Augustine has 3 goals I think, but it's pretty clear Toshack is experimenting with his lineup before league play starts.  I think we'll see who he wants to consistently go with on Wednesday against a good Plattsburgh squad. 

Ommadawn

Excitement is building as league play is set to begin tomorrow with a full slate of games.  Here are a few predictions to get the discussion going:

SLU 3 - RIT 0     It appears that things are starting to come together for the Saints, which bodes poorly for the Tigers on the road.

RPI 3 - Bard 0     Bard is improved over last year, but not enough to hold off RPI, who make take the foot off the gas somewhat and take out the starters early to rest up for Sunday's tilt with Babson.

Skidmore 2 - Clarkson 1     Clarkson will be a tough out this season, but I think the Thoroughbreds will get by at home.

Hobart 2 - Union 1     In what may be the game of the day, the visiting Statesmen might punish Union for their soft early season schedule.

Saint of Old

RIT always gives SLU a tough game.
St. Lawrence has only scored 3 goals in last five games.
When they do the its the freshmen who score.

I see a 1-0 game either way.

Bard are now good enough to play ragged defense.
2-0 RPI

Hobart is stronger this year I think
2-0 over Union.

Mr.Right

Can someone explain the situation the past few years at RIT...I remember RIT being a very competitive team in the Empire 8 and even when they first got into the Liberty League. All of a sudden the past few years they have really fallen off.

My predictions:    I have only seen SLU, Skidmore, RPI and Union.

SLU v RIT                      5-0
RPI v BARD                    3-0
Skidmore v Clarkson       1-0
Hobart v Union               3-0

SLU, RPI, Hobart, Skidmore and Vassar will be battling it out with only 4 spots available for LL Playoffs my hunch is that Vassar just misses.