Liberty League

Started by Saint of Old, August 12, 2014, 12:14:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Part_Bart

Quote from: Saint of Old on October 29, 2015, 10:04:46 AM
Anyone can beat anyone at anytime in soccer.

With this truism as header and warning:
Union over Vassar tonight, 1-0

Bard over Vassar Saturday, 2-1 (I am riding, if not driving, the Bard fan wagon for this end-of-season).
Skidmore over Union Saturday (may not be the prettiest of soccer games, but it will be intense), 2-0
Both Vassar and Union struggle with short turnaround from tonight's game, alas.

Hobart over RIT, 2-0 (the second goal is a result of RIT throwing people forward to create a result)
STLU over Clarkson (no guess on score but suspect both teams play their full bench)

Ommadawn

Quote from: Part_Bart on October 29, 2015, 02:41:12 PM
With this truism as header and warning:
Union over Vassar tonight, 1-0

Bard over Vassar Saturday, 2-1 (I am riding, if not driving, the Bard fan wagon for this end-of-season).
Skidmore over Union Saturday (may not be the prettiest of soccer games, but it will be intense), 2-0
Both Vassar and Union struggle with short turnaround from tonight's game, alas.

Hobart over RIT, 2-0 (the second goal is a result of RIT throwing people forward to create a result)
STLU over Clarkson (no guess on score but suspect both teams play their full bench)

I cannot argue with any of your predictions.  It's great to see so many teams still in playoff contention coming down to the final couple of days of the regular season.

TheSwayzeTrain

Quote from: deutschfan on October 28, 2015, 03:22:22 PM
So riddle me this--RPI loses at home to Vassar, is eliminated from LL postseason contention, and moves up from 7th to 4th in the second regional rankings with Hobart no where to be found?????

Just goes to show how politics influence rankings. Happens every year, the people who set the rankings are coaches who have their very own teams in given regions. Last year it was Clinton at RPI on the NSCAA Regional committee; where we all saw that they missed out on an at large bid last year but they were only ranked that high due to his position on the committee. Putting his team higher on the regional ranking makes sure that they will be ranked nationally. Which was why everyone didn't know why a #15 team in the nation wasn't in the tournament. He is the only one to blame for that.

We are starting to see it this year, however, I believe Coach Clinton has moved from the NSCAA rep to the NCAA. That is why RPI is on that list instead of a Hobart, which doesn't seem right at all. Yes, Hobart plays Nazareth, St. John Fisher and Fredonia, which all hurt their SOS; but RPI has Lyndon State, Mount St. Mary and Keene St., all with bad records.

IMO coaches on those committees, whatever the region is, should be ranking schools outside of their own region. I am only referencing the East Region but I'm sure it happens in New England where all the NESCAC schools get put on the rankings this time of year. It seems like things are a little over complicated, if you lose to a less ranked opponent, you move down, simple as that. You also can't punish teams as much for scheduling games against decent teams the year before, all to have them have a terrible season the year that you play them. Every good team plays their share of weaker opponents. 

Mr.Right

I get what you all are saying but RPI is ranked because of their SOS which is one of the highest in the region and 2-1-1 v ranked. If they had not played Lyndon State, Mt State Mary and Williams Patterson they would have a SOS at .615. I agree Hobart is a better side then RPI but there SOS at .530 is just not going to get it done and like I said before it is unfortunate that beating Nazareth and Fredonia St actually keeps you from being ranked. THEY must change this bottom end stuff and not punish wins v teams with horrible records as much as it happens. It will never happen but I like the "Bart" to win the LL anyway. Now if SLU loses in the semi-final of the LL they SHOULD become a bubble team but with a 3-1-1 RvR and .575 or so SOS they most likely will get in. The 3 wins v Ranked especially in the East is very hard to ignore

Saint of Old

Have not seen the league like this in quite a while.
Bard deserves a lot of credit for playing hard and improving as a team.

Union is for real.
They have only lost once in the league.
That loss was not as lopsided as one may think.
After 45 mins it was 0-0 on SLU's home field.
A last second goal was extremely demoralizing to a team on the road that had just played an overtime game the day before...

RIT has to do it this year, they just have to.
Is their freshman stud up to the task?

Will SLU's freshman class continue to impress when the real season starts.

Ommadawn

Quote from: Ommadawn on August 24, 2015, 11:12:01 PM
Jason Miller-FC Blazers-Needham HS-Union College*

I only recall having seen the new Union player in action, and he'll be a fine addition to the Dutchmen.  He's relatively small, but he's quick, dynamic, and very skilled.  He can play multiple positions and brings a high level of intensity to the game. 

It took nearly all season for this freshman to have a major impact, but he got the game winner in the 106th minute last night against Vassar.

Ommadawn

And then there were five...

SLU has clinched a playoff berth and can get the top seed with a win or a tie coupled with a Hobart loss.

Hobart can get the top seed with a win coupled with a SLU loss, can get the second seed or third seed with any number of potential game outcomes, and will be the fourth seed with a loss coupled with a Skidmore or Union win.

RIT can be seeded as high as second with a win and will be eliminated with a loss or tie.

Union and Skidmore are in with a win and out with a loss. One of them will advance with a tie coupled with a Hobart loss, but I'm not sure which one (I don't know the tie-breakers).  Both will advance with a tie coupled with a Hobart win.

Ommadawn

Correction:  Union and Skidmore can both also get in with a loss coupled with an RIT loss.

Ommadawn

Second correction (sorry!): RIT will be in with a tie and a non-tie outcome in the Skidmore-Union game.

Part_Bart

Union's been a great counter-attacking team: well organized behind the ball.  On their smallish home field they make it very hard for the other team to go forward.  This opens up for that counter. On bigger fields and against teams that are great attacking, well, STLU showed.

The Skidmore @Union game will be a true test. Both teams are used to turf fields and both have to win.  I'm sorry that Union has to do this on one day's rest. Something's gotta give.

I'll be at the RIT@Hobart game -- the final regular season game for 11 seniors -- and expect it will be quite a match.

Ommadawn

Quote from: Part_Bart on October 30, 2015, 12:33:54 PM
The Skidmore @Union game will be a true test. Both teams are used to turf fields and both have to win. I'm sorry that Union has to do this on one day's rest. Something's gotta give.

They don't HAVE to win.  They both will get in if RIT loses, but they can't count on that happening  ;)

Part_Bart

Quote from: Ommadawn on October 30, 2015, 12:46:52 PM
Quote from: Part_Bart on October 30, 2015, 12:33:54 PM
The Skidmore @Union game will be a true test. Both teams are used to turf fields and both have to win. I'm sorry that Union has to do this on one day's rest. Something's gotta give.

They don't HAVE to win.  They both will get in if RIT loses, but they can't count on that happening  ;)

Oops and correct you are, Ommadawn! I think my bias showed  :)

Saint of Old

The LL definitely deserve 2 bids to the  dance this year.
Then again, Brazil deserved to win a World Cup in 1982  :-[

TheSwayzeTrain

Is RPI really about to receive an At-Large bid if SLU, Stevens and Oneonta win their conference tournaments? They were eliminated from the conference tournament with games still to be played. Questions will be asked if RPI gets a bid over a Hobart.

Mr.Right

Quote from: Ommadawn on October 30, 2015, 11:57:31 AM
Quote from: Ommadawn on August 24, 2015, 11:12:01 PM
Jason Miller-FC Blazers-Needham HS-Union College*

I only recall having seen the new Union player in action, and he'll be a fine addition to the Dutchmen.  He's relatively small, but he's quick, dynamic, and very skilled.  He can play multiple positions and brings a high level of intensity to the game. 

It took nearly all season for this freshman to have a major impact, but he got the game winner in the 106th minute last night against Vassar.

They also former Williams star User Kushiana's brother Another from Berkshire school who is very fast and skilled on the flank. A little small in size but dangerous nevertheless