Liberty League

Started by Saint of Old, August 12, 2014, 12:14:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr.Right

Quote from: TheSwayzeTrain on October 30, 2015, 03:49:27 PM
Is RPI really about to receive an At-Large bid if SLU, Stevens and Oneonta win their conference tournaments? They were eliminated from the conference tournament with games still to be played. Questions will be asked if RPI gets a bid over a Hobart.

No chance. They would take Brockport St over RPI. So most likely 2 SUNYAC Pool C's over any from LL. I do not agree with it and I believe Hobart deserves it but they have a VERY good chance of winning the LL anyway

stlawus

SLU defeats Clarkson 3-0 to take the LL regular season title.  3 goals yet again coming from freshman.  Durocher's final hurrah as coach nets him one of the best recruiting classes SLU has seen in quite some time.  Senior forward Ryan Grant started today, his first game back in a month and half or so after injury.  He was the leading scorer until he went down, so as they say with Arsenal and their injuries, "it's like a new signing".

Part_Bart

SLU has to be feeling pretty good: in good form, facing a winnable mid-week game, and with a chance to see either a tired Skidmore or settle-up accounts with Hobart.  Hobart @SLU has elements for a pretty good college soccer game as Hobart's NCAA chances (and -- if they get to the LL title game -- an eight game win streak) are pitted against SLU pride (and skill, and playing on their lovely home field). 

SandyMac

Again, I think most SLU fans would love to see a rematch with Hobart in the final.  Hopefully it turns out that way.  The Saints need to be careful not to overlook Union on Wednesday.  An early goal should just about seal the deal in that one.

Back-to-Back-to-Back Liberty League Double champions? Now that would be incredible.  We shall see!

Mr.Right

I love this SLU v Union match-up. These games happen year in and year out. Will Union come out intimidated by SLU and assume they are going to lose or will SLU be over confident thinking all we need to do is show up to win since we beat them 8-0 a week or two ago.

1970s NESCAC Player

Quote from: Mr.Right on November 02, 2015, 12:09:02 PM
I love this SLU v Union match-up. These games happen year in and year out. Will Union come out intimidated by SLU and assume they are going to lose or will SLU be over confident thinking all we need to do is show up to win since we beat them 8-0 a week or two ago.

This game is somewhat analogous to the Amherst/Wesleyan playoff game Saturday -- a blowout for the home team followed by a replay a short time later.  I'd be curious to know whether Union makes the 4 hour trip Tuesday, or drives up just before the game on Wednesday.  If the former, I expect Union to make it close.

Saint of Old

The game will be close.
Never underestimate school pride.

The game, and I say it again was not a 8-0 game circa 2012 Wheaton in the NCAAs

The game was even and 0-0 after 44:59 seconds.
Union had played a double OT game the day before and faced a rested SLU on Sandy.

SLU is tough to play on Sandy when they are going on all cylinders and they just happened to be on that day.

Mr.Right

There is no question Union will be going up the night before. I would imagine Skidmore does the same in Geneva. Why play on legs that have been on a bus 3 hrs when u can get fully rested legs going up the night before. 

Part_Bart

Quote from: Mr.Right on November 02, 2015, 01:38:31 PM
There is no question Union will be going up the night before. I would imagine Skidmore does the same in Geneva. Why play on legs that have been on a bus 3 hrs when u can get fully rested legs going up the night before.

The Skidmore at Hobart game is Tuesday (3 Nov), 1330 (because the field has no lights and the William Smith (women) are hosting the semi-final playoff game on Wednesday. They are higher seeded then the Hobart (men) so have priority). It is supposed to be sunny and 70F for kickoff on Tuesday.   What fun.

So, Union and SLU will know who will be their opponent 20 some hours before they kick-off. 

1970s NESCAC Player

Quote from: Mr.Right on November 02, 2015, 01:38:31 PM

You are probably correct as to the travel date, but unfortunately, Union soccer is not Union hockey, so there may be budgetary limitations that dictate Wednesday travel . . .

blooter442

Skidmore beats Hobart 1-0 at Hobart. Thoroughbreds controlled the game and kept Hobart from ever really getting into a rhythm. Statesmen had a couple of chances but never got anything going really. Skidmore reminds me a lot of MIT: not particularly skilled in the final third or midfield, but they find goals, are very organized and big, and do well in the middle of the field due to their shape. My guess is that Hobart will have to sweat it regarding a Pool C mainly due to their SOS.

stlawus

Accurate assessment blooter, Hobart never really looked threatening.  I was quite surprised by this result.  Skidmore did not finish the season strong and Hobart was riding a 7 game win streak.  Next to SLU (homer bias  ;D) Hobart was the strongest LL team I've seen this year.  But like Saint of Old says, anyone can beat anyone anytime in this sport. 

Part_Bart

Tough day for Statesmen.   
Credit to the physicality of Skidmore for bringing game to a level of play where they can succeed.
Hobart is wishing it were a 64 team, not a 61 team, field for NCAAs....

TheSwayzeTrain

Unfortunately Hobart looked a little confused. When a team is doing that well for a couple weeks and falls into good form, it can be tough to scramble when they find themselves in different situations late in games. Not giving up a ton of goals and then trying to find some in the waning minutes can be tough when Hobart hasn't scored a ton of goals this year, especially in conference. Credit to Skidmore for taking in to the Statesman in the 2nd half instead of just defending, which we all know they can do. Skidmore had a second goal questionably called back and was much more dangerous in the 2nd half. Amazing how a 13-3-2 team may very well have played their last game of the season. No doubt Hobart deserves some love in the NCAA polls, and many don't agree with them being left off of their rankings. Can only imagine the questioning that ensues if an RPI team plays again in the NCAA's. At some point judgment needs to not only be numbers, but passing the eye test. You see it all the time for you NCAA D1 Basketball fans; they are looking for 64 teams, give or take a couple, so are we.

SandyMac

If RPI gets in over Hobart, then I think we all know why. Unfortunately for the Statesmen, Griffin doesn't sit on the NCAA selection committee. As far as overall resumes go, you'd like to see the team that's been hotter more recently get the bid, as they'll in theory make for better competition come tournament time.

Oddly enough, Hobart has to be pulling hard for SLU to win this thing now, as a Skidmore win surely ends Hobart's chance at an at-large, which the Saints would snatch up.

Today should be another great match, I don't see it being more than a 1 goal game.  Perhaps even penalties?