Liberty League

Started by Saint of Old, August 12, 2014, 12:14:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ommadawn

When facing Babson, Clarkson may be energized by their 3-1 victory over Wheaton, who no doubt were playing with heavy hearts.  With Calnan's hat trick, the Golden Knights may be showing signs of improved attacking prowess in Coach Taylor's fourth season.

Mr.Right

Quote from: blooter442 on September 02, 2017, 12:45:43 AM
Quote from: stlawus on September 01, 2017, 06:20:20 PM
Quite poor performance by SLU to lose 3-2.  Not taking anything away from Babson, they played well.  There appears to be a lack of X factor on this SLU squad.  Still no offensive threat on this team.

Didn't see the game, but it looks like SLU dominated the stats. With that in mind, I can definitely see the perspective of the aforementioned post saying that the Beavers had all the bounces in the first half.

Babson scored 3 goals, which, for a team that has had trouble scoring in recent memory, maybe represents the turning of a corner. Then again, given their history in recent seasons, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Beavers beat SLU only to lose to Clarkson. A win over SLU is nothing to scoff at, but it was at home, where Babson has played well over the years. Next week they have two tough away tests at Tufts and Brandeis, which will I think be more comprehensive indicators of the team's potential.

I have to agree with that whole statement. +k....I was working so I could not catch any of the games but I would say the biggest surprise yesterday was Babson netting 3 v SLU. SLU loves to take chances so I am assuming Babson played dangerously on the counter and like Bloots said I could easily see them pulling a clunker v Clarkson. I must say if Clarkson can get out of New England at 2-0-0 that would be a huge boost for them to continue to have a great year.

Mr.Right

I will be interested to see what Hobart is made of this year. They got snubbed last year as I thought they were an NCAA team last year. Sometimes they get off to slow sluggish starts. Let's see what they do with ECONN today at home.

deutschfan

Hobart has to be incredibly frustrated by last year's ending. They should have prevailed against Skidmore in regulation and then to lose in penalties. If game goes other way they have Vassar at home and they dominated Vassar away with their physicality.  Hobart is my pick this year to rise above the rest. SLU offensively impaired again having the two most overrated returning first teamers on the offensive end.

stlawus

This is going to be a long year for this SLU squad.  They've conceded 5 against Wheaton and 8 goals on the weekend.  Only the 2nd game but this program looks to be in a rebuilding phase.

Mr.Right

I only caught the 1st Half but SLU was all over Wheaton the first 20 minutes but looked lost in the final 3rd. Wheaton scored a couple against the run of play. 2nd Half must have been crazy with SLU pushing #'s forward all over the field.

stlawus

SLU scored all three in the span of 3 minutes.  Then they gave up a corner and a penalty.  This team has always been pretty shaky on set pieces.  Might be seeing the new 6'7" freshman keeper recruit get some action next weekend.

Mr.Right

Just caught a goal as SLU scores off a set piece. Nice ball played into the box that was flicked on and finished...5-4 Wheaton with about 10 minutes left

stlawus

Wow, belay my last.  SLU ties it up at 5.  What a crazy game.  3-0 to 5-3 to 5-5.

Part_Bart

Hobart loses to ECU 1:0.  The Statesmen played 20, a freshman started, they dominated both possession and shots on goal, but - alas - gave up a soft one half way through first half and Eastern Connecticut stayed organized and played smart (even as Hobart grew frustrated and fouled more and more).

Mr.Right

Ah yeah...While the defending in this SLU game has been non-existent, from what I have seen SLU's GK is shaky AT BEST.

Saint of Old

Quote from: deutschfan on September 02, 2017, 01:35:11 PM
Hobart has to be incredibly frustrated by last year's ending. They should have prevailed against Skidmore in regulation and then to lose in penalties. If game goes other way they have Vassar at home and they dominated Vassar away with their physicality.  Hobart is my pick this year to rise above the rest. SLU offensively impaired again having the two most overrated returning first teamers on the offensive end.

I agree that Hobart was robbed last year. Then again the only way to avoid that happening is winning the Tourney.
They were league champions for a reason though and really did well to win 6 and lose just 1 against LL competition last year.
Some of those big and unexplainable losses I think hurt them in the Tourney.

I think I am harder on SLU than most, and I think the Statesmen should feel wronged at losing that bid to a conference 5 seed last year!

I must disagree with you respectfully yet strongly on your claim about SLU's 2 returning first team All league players.

One of those players has been, in my opinion, the BEST player in the league since his freshman year.
I think most knowledgeable people who have seen him play and have played the game understands just how special of a player he is.
In just over 2 seasons he has scored 8 goals ( all game winners, or tying goals) and scoring goals is actually the worst part of his game.

deutschfan

Notes after the first weekend with 6 out of 10 LL teams undefeated.  In order by LL's last year's finish: 1) Vassar--won't stop the Brewers unless you can break up the two man synergy between their returning all-region players Van Brewer and Mrlik; 2) Skidmore--Santos is still sizzling after a scorching league season last year; 3) Hobart--again needs to find a scorer after last year where no one scored more than a handful of goals; 4) RPI--could be for real but riding the Costa Rican trip bump and followed the SLU super size me recruiting model; 5) SLU--as Mr. Right noted a mess on defense and offensively will need more forward production as they re-evaluate the bigger the better recruiting model; 6) Union--lucky to get by New Paltz and will be hampered by a cup-cake preseason; 7) Clarkson--Has found a target player with Calnan and his 4 goal weekend but their late defensive breakdown against Babson is worrisome for a team whose defense kept them in many a game last year; 8) RIT--still hasn't found a way to reach its finals glory in 2011; 9) Bard--Can win with and without Shenberger, and only needs to win a few of the close games they lost last year to make the playoffs; and Newbie) Ithaca--has come to play with balanced scoring and strong defense.  None of the teams has faced a top notch opponent so it is difficult to assess how strong the league is.  Preseason Bennett Rankings has the LL ranked 11th which is probably as low as it has been since inception.  Rankings like that make it tough to compete for recruits against the UAA and NESCAC, the perennial 1 and 2.  Too bad we didn't have a first week fixture like Brandeis/Cortland or Carnegie Mellon/Kenyon.  The non-conference foes will be stronger in the upcoming weeks.

deutschfan

Quote from: Saint of Old on September 03, 2017, 06:54:34 PM
Quote from: deutschfan on September 02, 2017, 01:35:11 PM

I agree that Hobart was robbed last year. Then again the only way to avoid that happening is winning the Tourney.
They were league champions for a reason though and really did well to win 6 and lose just 1 against LL competition last year.
Some of those big and unexplainable losses I think hurt them in the Tourney.

I think I am harder on SLU than most, and I think the Statesmen should feel wronged at losing that bid to a conference 5 seed last year!

I must disagree with you respectfully yet strongly on your claim about SLU's 2 returning first team All league players.

One of those players has been, in my opinion, the BEST player in the league since his freshman year.
I think most knowledgeable people who have seen him play and have played the game understands just how special of a player he is.
In just over 2 seasons he has scored 8 goals ( all game winners, or tying goals) and scoring goals is actually the worst part of his game.

deutschfan

Oops, hit post too quickly.  Saint, I love your insights and dedication to the LL and SLU.  I agree with you about 90% of the time  Your assessment that SLU's freshman of the year for 2015 has been the best player in the league for the past two seasons is the epitome of overrating.  The best two players in the league the past two years were defenders, Copeland and Oyeniyi, both who received All-American recognition, and rightly so, even though they had ignominious exits from D3 soccer with Copeland getting a late red against Haverford in the NCAAs and Oyeniyi committing the late foul in the box that gave Vassar the league title last year.  The best midfielder in the league in 2016 did not only generate a single assist with no goals in 8 league games and then get shutout in the NCAAs.  Dede wasn't even the best mid-fielder on his team based on his coach and other NSCAA coaches naming another SLU midfielder All-Region.  The second, third, and fourth best players in the league last year were a midfielder and forward for Vassar, and an RPI forward who won player of the year.  Brandell was actually the best player on SLU last year and he was nowhere close to being the best player in the league.