FB: Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bleedpurple

Meanwhile...

The QB Pool at UW-W continues to get deeper.

Sacred-Heart Griffin (A Legendary program in central Illinois) QB Sam Sweetland has committed to UW-W. He turned down a scholarship offer at a D-1 FCS school and chose UW-W instead.  Here is an article on Sam:

https://www.sj-r.com/sports/20181102/shgs-sam-sweetland-turning-heads-at-quarterback

sjusection105

Quote from: badgerwarhawk on January 27, 2019, 07:47:56 PM
So they knew our terminology and schemes and they still couldn't do diddley squat against it.  LOL I don't know if it's illegal but it's obviously unethical.  It seems the whole thing started with Smith which seems kind of unproductive if he's considering coaching in the collegiate ranks again.  Who would hire someone who would do something like this?  From that perspective it's kind of pathetic.  He puts a huge black mark on his record for something that accomplished absolutely nothing.

My thought exactly when I read the story on Football Scoop. Talk about derailing your career. Even if you never want to coach again, what industry could you go into where this doesn't come up in an interview. Remember the internet is forever.  Well, I guess this type of thing would be celebrated in the political arena  :-\
As of now they're on DOUBLE SECRET Probation!

emma17

I imagine there will be more to this story, from both sides.
The loop of former UWW staff is interesting as all three had less than pleasant departures from Whitewater for different reasons. I wonder how UWL's Schmidt fits into this.

I don't think the information shared is all that helpful to a game plan though. I'd get more use out of it in planning my own defensive philosophy than in a specific game.
Big picture "principles, rules and alignments" in a manual (was it even current?) only go so far when game planning. I think you'd get much more from watching recent game film.

WW

Questions/comments:

1. Is this, in fact, "proprietary legal property," and therefore subject to that kind of legal treatment? In other words, was a
"crime", by definition, really committed here? Seems to me the kind of knowledge that any transfer could take with them, or would be a commodity regularly exchanged among connected football coaches (and in D3 assistant world, there's quite a web of connectivity).

2. Why would UWL offer this information to other UWW opponents? Can't see how that would serve them, unless it was literally sold. And how would you actually use it? I think scouting reports and previous game film would be more useful.

3. If behavior is indeed at worst illegal and at best inappropriate, how dumb do you gotta be to leave an email trail?

4. Certainly puts the Bengtson situation in a whole new light.

5. Overall, I'm not quite getting what all the hullabaloo's about.

emma17

Quote from: WW on January 28, 2019, 11:37:09 AM
Questions/comments:

1. Is this, in fact, "proprietary legal property," and therefore subject to that kind of legal treatment? In other words, was a
"crime", by definition, really committed here? Seems to me the kind of knowledge that any transfer could take with them, or would be a commodity regularly exchanged among connected football coaches (and in D3 assistant world, there's quite a web of connectivity).

2. Why would UWL offer this information to other UWW opponents? Can't see how that would serve them, unless it was literally sold. And how would you actually use it? I think scouting reports and previous game film would be more useful.

3. If behavior is indeed at worst illegal and at best inappropriate, how dumb do you gotta be to leave an email trail?

4. Certainly puts the Bengtson situation in a whole new light.

5. Overall, I'm not quite getting what all the hullabaloo's about.

I agree with you here, although the email, I believe from Coach Schmidt, does state "keep it on the down low". I assume this means he knows, or thinks the information he has is "hot" and therefore, the fact that they have it should be kept in private.

At this point, I'm not worried about a competitive advantage issue. I am bothered by the appearance of former UWW folks perhaps feeling scorned and going on to undermine the program.

Brad

Been awhile for me on here. This topic is very interesting to me. It's a bad look on UWL for sure and the league. There are different topics here, the leaking of the UWW stuff along with firing a coach in season for it appears not to be much documented. Does anyone think the school or league will step in on this, or is it just a big story with nothing to it?

WW

Quote from: Brad on January 28, 2019, 01:42:35 PM
Been awhile for me on here. This topic is very interesting to me. It's a bad look on UWL for sure and the league. There are different topics here, the leaking of the UWW stuff along with firing a coach in season for it appears not to be much documented. Does anyone think the school or league will step in on this, or is it just a big story with nothing to it?

Disagree. I think the firing was for cause, and is documented enough. But it makes me wonder how a guy Schmidt found so culturally and philosophically in opposition to the UWL "way" got hired in the first place. Although if I remember right.... wasn't Bengtson a very late hire, after the UWL OC had ditched for Whitewater? In other words, he may have been one of very few candidates for the OC job at that time of year.

dachampishere

Bergstrom got hired in March. The firing seems like a disagreement in coaching philosophies.
The sad part is that former WW guys one who was highly regarded as the next head coach by many after Berezowitz retired is involved in this mess, and after how he handled not getting the job it doesn't surprise me at all.
Smith was probably just still pissed his contract did not get renewed so he said what they heck I will help Stan out with this info I have. Why he just didn't send it right to Stan is the question. Why does he have to get Nelson Edmonds involved???? He always seemed like a class act.

emma17

To me, as an alum, the main issue is three former UWW coaches engaging in this. There are lines you don't cross.

I struggle a bit with putting too much emphasis on the idea a head coach must teach high school grads character and integrity.

OzJohnnie

Quote from: sjusection105 on January 28, 2019, 08:54:17 AM
Quote from: badgerwarhawk on January 27, 2019, 07:47:56 PM
So they knew our terminology and schemes and they still couldn't do diddley squat against it.  LOL I don't know if it's illegal but it's obviously unethical.  It seems the whole thing started with Smith which seems kind of unproductive if he's considering coaching in the collegiate ranks again.  Who would hire someone who would do something like this?  From that perspective it's kind of pathetic.  He puts a huge black mark on his record for something that accomplished absolutely nothing.

My thought exactly when I read the story on Football Scoop. Talk about derailing your career. Even if you never want to coach again, what industry could you go into where this doesn't come up in an interview. Remember the internet is forever.  Well, I guess this type of thing would be celebrated in the political arena  :-\

My thought was that if you can't even delete the email headers that show the forwarding history then how much can this info even help, anyways.  I used outline.com to read the article, so I'm not sure I got the whole thing, but do we know if this was proprietary UWW info or was it something that Smith typed up after his departure?  And do we know if the UWW terms are proprietary or just normal usage?  ie, "Cover three against XXX because they spread."

It was eight slides, right?  That's UWW's defensive scheme?  I've got to say that after the emotion settles, I would most likely think this is a Smith debrief and not corporate espionage.  But it's a hyper reactive world we live in so who knows.
[  

OzJohnnie

Quote from: bleedpurple on January 28, 2019, 04:58:56 PM
5. The hullabaloo is about a lack of integrity among men that are supposed to be examples to student athletes. The hullabaloo is about men who talk parents into entrusting their kids to them to help turn them from high school graduates to men of character and integrity being unable to demonstrate character and integrity themselves.

That pony you're riding seems a little tall to me.  No one has any idea what's actually in the decks.  Were they stolen or just a brain dump?

Maybe, just perhaps, Smith was motivated to type up this info and share it because the hyperventilating going on here in the boards is similar to the breathing patterns of the folks that physically surround the program.  If you're in the program then you're a golden child and if you're out then you're Satan's sidekick and the epitome of a lack of integrity.  Not the sort of culture that breeds loyalty from those who have been kicked to the wayside.  Just sayin'.
[  

bleedpurple

UW-W has landed WR Simon Stark from East Ridge High School in Woodbury, MN.  Simon caught 80 passes this season and was a favorite receiver of QB Zach Zebrowski, son of former UW-W assistant coach Jim Zebrowski.

02 Warhawk

The fact the email said "Keep this on the down low" tells me they knew they were swimming in unethical territory. Dirt bags all around, whether they had important information or not.

bleedpurple

Nice commit for UW-W:

Johnny Mcglynn, a 6'3" 285 pound offensive lineman from Brother Rice in Chicago. Always good to keep beefing up the OL!