FB: Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

badgerwarhawk

Quote from: WW on December 31, 2018, 02:10:24 PM
I might be off a guy or two but I believe I saw a graphic during the Pinstripe Bowl that said Miami had 36 4 or 5-star recruits on their roster vs 6 for the Badgers, roughly the inverse of the game’s final score. FWIW

Perhaps it's what you do with them after you get them rather than what they were ranked before you got them.   I wouldn't mind Mertz taking the position by storm if it helps the Badgers win. But I wonder if Chryst isn't too conservative to go with a newbie when he's returning a senior who's started for three years (yes, I know, too many interceptions) and another who's a junior and has starting experience including the bowl win.  It should be an interesting competition and Mertz will no doubt get his opportunities.

"Just think twice is my only advice."

WW

Quote from: badgerwarhawk on January 01, 2019, 11:11:20 PM
Quote from: WW on December 31, 2018, 02:10:24 PM
I might be off a guy or two but I believe I saw a graphic during the Pinstripe Bowl that said Miami had 36 4 or 5-star recruits on their roster vs 6 for the Badgers, roughly the inverse of the game's final score. FWIW

Perhaps it's what you do with them after you get them rather than what they were ranked before you got them.   I wouldn't mind Mertz taking the position by storm if it helps the Badgers win. But I wonder if Chryst isn't too conservative to go with a newbie when he's returning a senior who's started for three years (yes, I know, too many interceptions) and another who's a junior and has starting experience including the bowl win.  It should be an interesting competition and Mertz will no doubt get his opportunities.

Mertz will be at spring practices -- that will help. I think Chryst's seat got a little warm this season. He'll go with whomever gives the Badgers the best shot at winning their next game, but UW will need much more help from their WRs this season or the QB will be irrelevant.

BoBo

I've been checking out the practices for the Under Armour All-American Game at ESPN Wide World of Sports at Disney World the past few days/nights. Some really good high school ball players. Game is tomorrow night at Camping World Stadium in Orlando at 6pm ET on ESPN2 if you can't be like BoBo and be at the game.
I'VE REACHED THAT AGE
WHERE MY BRAIN GOES
FROM "YOU PROBABLY
SHOULDN'T SAY THAT," TO
"WHAT THE HELL, LET'S SEE
WHAT HAPPENS."

emma17

Interesting that two of the four QB's on the combined rosters are committed to AZ State.

I don't watch as much Badger football as the WI residents- I just didn't see it w the 3- year starter (despite 2017). I'm of the mindset that great teams pretty much need great QB's (w rare exception). Chryst may feel he has to win now, I'd rather see UW roll with Mertz if they think he's the real deal. UW may win a bunch of non-conf games and most conference games w their 3-year starter, but what hope does that give the fan base and the potential recruits?

BoBo

Quote from: emma17 on December 27, 2018, 02:37:43 PM
From BadgerofHonor.com:
QuoteBuffalo redshirt junior quarterback Tyree Jackson will be exploring graduate transfer options. Wisconsin Football should try and get involved.

Wouldn't that be something?

For Jackson's sake, I hope he stays in school another year. Not sure if UB or another school is best for him.
He has tremendous talent, but much to improve on with accuracy, decision making and ball security.

Jackson to Badgers not going to happen. He has decided to make himself available for the NFL draft. Not currently one of the top 10 QB on most if not all draft boards, so only time will tell if this gamble pays off for him.
I'VE REACHED THAT AGE
WHERE MY BRAIN GOES
FROM "YOU PROBABLY
SHOULDN'T SAY THAT," TO
"WHAT THE HELL, LET'S SEE
WHAT HAPPENS."

WW

Quote from: BoBo on January 06, 2019, 05:53:00 PM
Quote from: emma17 on December 27, 2018, 02:37:43 PM
From BadgerofHonor.com:
QuoteBuffalo redshirt junior quarterback Tyree Jackson will be exploring graduate transfer options. Wisconsin Football should try and get involved.

Wouldn't that be something?

For Jackson's sake, I hope he stays in school another year. Not sure if UB or another school is best for him.
He has tremendous talent, but much to improve on with accuracy, decision making and ball security.

Jackson to Badgers not going to happen. He has decided to make himself available for the NFL draft. Not currently one of the top 10 QB on most if not all draft boards, so only time will tell if this gamble pays off for him.

I'll bet he rises. I didn't know he's 6-7, 245. NFL is sure gonna like his measurables.

LL, if he's back at UB (and many dominoes are yet to fall that would dictate his future), is looking at an offensive rebuild. Top two WRs also on their way out, one to graduation and one to transfer.

bleedpurple

[quote author=WW link=topic=3741.msg1914745#msg1914745 date=1546882227

LL, if he's back at UB (and many dominoes are yet to fall that would dictate his future), is looking at an offensive rebuild. Top two WRs also on their way out, one to graduation and one to transfer.
[/quote]

That's too bad. the Jackson/Johnson connection has been really dynamic for a couple of years and KJ Osborn really came on this year as well. Hopefully, they've got some kids in the wings that are ready to come in and make an impact.

badgerwarhawk

"Just think twice is my only advice."

WW

UWEC's Dan Larson has resigned in order to take a position on the North Dakota State staff. DC Matt Ebner is listed as interim head coach on their website.

WW

Look for Rimington Trophy-winning UWW center Nate Trewyn in Saturday's NFLPA Collegiate Bowl all-star game, 4 pm on FS1. I don't know how this game differs from next week's Senior Bowl, might be basically the same deal, a draft showcase for seniors, NAIA through D1.

WaHooWa

Quote from: WW on January 11, 2019, 03:26:03 PM
UWEC's Dan Larson has resigned in order to take a position on the North Dakota State staff. DC Matt Ebner is listed as interim head coach on their website.

Will be an interesting hire -- the AD is heavily involved in the program. 

bleedpurple

UW-W continues to draw high level talent. They are getting a gem in Charlie Hamilton, a 6'2" 190 pound wide receiver from Sacred Heart Griffen.  Hamilton, who had a lot of mid-major interest, turned down a scholarship at Eastern Illinois to attend UW-W.

Much much more ahead on the UW-W recruiting front.

As far as transfers, joining the program and enrolled in the spring semester:

2017 Al Toon Award winner WR Hayden Iverson of Lake Mills. (Transfer from Minnesota Duluth)
6'3" 210 lb QB Matt Nelson (Transfer from Minnesota State)
6'2"  217 lb QB Max Meylor (Transfer from Lindenwood)
6'1"  206 lb WR CJ Davis (Transfer from Carthage)
6'2"  215 lb DE Cashmen Beal (Transfer from Carthage)

WW

Quote from: bleedpurple on January 18, 2019, 12:33:57 AM
UW-W continues to draw high level talent. They are getting a gem in Charlie Hamilton, a 6'2" 190 pound wide receiver from Sacred Heart Griffen.  Hamilton, who had a lot of mid-major interest, turned down a scholarship at Eastern Illinois to attend UW-W.

2017 Al Toon Award winner WR Hayden Iverson of Lake Mills. (Transfer from Minnesota Duluth)

Should be fun seeing who rises to the top of that QB scrum. You got 4 of em who could start at most WIAC schools. WR looks to be deeper yet, presuming you hang on to last season's undergrads.

I'm surprised to learn Meylor isn't playing college basketball. My last memory of him is lighting up Rice Lake in the D2 state championship game.

bleedpurple

Quote from: WW on January 18, 2019, 10:34:10 AM
Quote from: bleedpurple on January 18, 2019, 12:33:57 AM

Should be fun seeing who rises to the top of that QB scrum. You got 4 of em who could start at most WIAC schools. WR looks to be deeper yet, presuming you hang on to last season's undergrads.

I'm surprised to learn Meylor isn't playing college basketball. My last memory of him is lighting up Rice Lake in the D2 state championship game.
Agreed about Meylor. In fact, I checked as to whether he's playing both when I heard of his arrival. But that's a no. Probably wants to fully commit to football.