MBB: University Athletic Association

Started by Allen M. Karon, February 21, 2005, 08:19:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WUPHF

Ebay e-mails me a few times a day trying to get to buy memorabilia from the UAA teams. Today they had something very interesting.

This is apparently a program from a fundraiser match-up between NYU and Carnegie Tech from the 1930 season.  Proceeds from the game were to raise money for a new gym.  Imagine fundraising in this manner today.

This was the first ever game between NYU and Carnegie Mellon according to the NYU record book.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1929-30-New-York-University-Carnegie-Tech-Basketball-Program-RARE/264113406357?hash=item3d7e62c195:g:f4UAAOSwzEVcK4sR:rk:10:pf:0

Greek Tragedy

Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

WUPHF

The tie goes to Emory and Washington University by my estimation.

Quote from: WUPHF on March 03, 2019, 04:27:03 PM
1. Emory
1. Washington University (tie)

Both have the No. 1, but only subsequent teams need the tie reference.

WUPHF

I miss talking about UAA basketball.

The blog Nothing but Nylon did publish a four-part series on Mark Edwards with the final part published today.  Here is part IV but there are links to start with part I: https://nothingbutnylon.com/mark-edwards-iv/

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: WUPHF on March 13, 2019, 04:01:09 PM
I miss talking about UAA basketball.

The blog Nothing but Nylon did publish a four-part series on Mark Edwards with the final part published today.  Here is part IV but there are links to start with part I: https://nothingbutnylon.com/mark-edwards-iv/

I'm guessing next year we'll be talking about the UAA past the first day of the tournament.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

nescac1

The article mentions Max Fried, a future Emory player.  He comes from a very good University School program -- a fellow senior is headed to Middlebury, and last year's team had seniors who are now playing hoops at Williams and MIT:

https://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/article/University-High-seniors-hope-to-go-out-on-top-13672471.php

WUPHF

I have seen Washington University basketball media guides for sale on Ebay for years and I finally bought one from the the 1987-1988 season.  That was a special season even if it was before my time.

The guide featured so much including an interview with Coach Edwards.  This was obviously before social media and the internet so it easy to understand.

In the guide, Edwards was asked: If you could change one rule in the game of basketball, what would it be? 

His response: I am not sure I would want to change anything in the game, but I have often thought that an interesting concept would be that of mandatory substitution.  If no one player was allowed to play more than 75% of the game, we would see a greater number of players having an impace on the outcome of the game.  It would place an added emphasis on the bench players.

The guide was interesting too in the way in which it discussed Coach Edwards and his time at a Division I school as if to establish his bona fides.  The team would make the Elite Eight that season.

The team played Parks College that season.  Parks was an aviation and engineering school that eventually merged with Division I Saint Louis University.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: WUPHF on March 30, 2019, 04:35:08 PM
I have seen Washington University basketball media guides for sale on Ebay for years and I finally bought one from the the 1987-1988 season.  That was a special season even if it was before my time.

The guide featured so much including an interview with Coach Edwards.  This was obviously before social media and the internet so it easy to understand.

In the guide, Edwards was asked: If you could change one rule in the game of basketball, what would it be? 

His response: I am not sure I would want to change anything in the game, but I have often thought that an interesting concept would be that of mandatory substitution. If no one player was allowed to play more than 75% of the game, we would see a greater number of players having an impace on the outcome of the game.  It would place an added emphasis on the bench players.

The guide was interesting too in the way in which it discussed Coach Edwards and his time at a Division I school as if to establish his bona fides.  The team would make the Elite Eight that season.

The team played Parks College that season.  Parks was an aviation and engineering school that eventually merged with Division I Saint Louis University.
The strong would get stronger.

Gregory Sager

North Park defeated Parks by a score of 114-55 in the 1990-91 season, which still stands as the most lopsided win in NPU history. That's saying something, considering that there's been more than once that a Vikings head coach has had to bring in Moody Bible Institute as a fill-in opponent after a late cancellation.

Quote from: Ralph Turner on March 30, 2019, 08:08:42 PM

His response: I am not sure I would want to change anything in the game, but I have often thought that an interesting concept would be that of mandatory substitution. If no one player was allowed to play more than 75% of the game, we would see a greater number of players having an impace on the outcome of the game.  It would place an added emphasis on the bench players.

The strong would get stronger.

Agreed.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

iwumichigander

Whoa!! Maybe the shortest Sager post in like forever:)

Gregory Sager

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

WUPHF

If I ever work up the nerve, I'll have to ask Coach Edwards about that idea.

I do think the idea of limiting any one player to 30 minutes in regulation is intriguing and changes the strategy.  The strong may get stronger.  Unfortunately, we can not run the counterfactual.  It would be much harder for a Wheaton College.

By the way, I am not sure that the suggestion was any more than a thought experiment on the part of Coach Edwards.  The guide also asked about the introduction of the three point rule and Edwards weighed in.  Incidentally, the team made 15 three pointers in one game and attempted 23 in another so obviously his team embraced the change.

I do not remember life before the three-pointer, but I guess that the rule was adopted on the conference level, in a few cases, 8-9 years before the policy became universal.  That is wild.

hopefan

Woooopiff... of the same nature... when I was coaching in the 70's at RPI, any coach belonging to the NABC received a ticket to the D1 final four... one of the final fours I went to had an exhibition game on the Sunday of the weekend... I don't remember who played, but they were legit college players.. playing a game with 12 foot high baskets!!!!  needless to say, it changed the game significantly, and fortunately, was never adopted....
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

WUPHF

Thanks for sharing that story. Awesome.

WUPHF

As a reminder, my UAA content takes a turn for the worse over the summer (and that is saying something).

In addition to the Washington University basketball magazine, I bought a football magazine that was sold at Francis Field on Homecoming Day in 1963.  The Battling Bears as they used to be known were hosting the Wheaton Crusaders. 

The magazine billed this match-up as the "Midwest game of the week" as both teams were undefeated though Washington University had a tie against Wabash.

It was interesting in a number of ways...

Almost every Washington University football player was from the St. Louis area while the Wheaton squad had players from all over.  Maybe half the team was from Chicagoland.

The magazine included pictures and the team had 4-5 African-American players.  I often heard about the desegregation of the game of basketball, but not football.

The University predicted a crowd of 9,000 fans.

The magazine had almost as many beer and cigarette ads as they did content.  The cigarette ads were clear to point out that their product was sold in the concession stand.  Did the Wheaton policies prohibit smoking way back when?

The team had Valpo and Parsons on the schedule.  Not sure if that was the Parson School of Design in New York or what.