Lacrosse

Started by drisclaw, July 03, 2011, 09:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amh63

Need to clarify some info prior to the match between the two undefeated teams today.
The all-American on the Amherst lacrosse team is Philie...2nd team last season.  The fine player, also  a senior, is Zsitvay.   It seems to be raining today in Amherst....hey, it is a turf field.  Wonder if the women's game will be played on the newer football turf field used by the men for this big match up.
What field is used up in Panther  land?

Vandy74

Quote from: amh63 on March 29, 2014, 10:09:39 AM
Need to clarify some info prior to the match between the two undefeated teams today.
The all-American on the Amherst lacrosse team is Philie...2nd team last season.  The fine player, also  a senior, is Zsitvay.   It seems to be raining today in Amherst....hey, it is a turf field.  Wonder if the women's game will be played on the newer football turf field used by the men for this big match up.
What field is used up in Panther  land?

I'm just about to go over to the Amherst site.  The Midd men play on the football field.  The women have their own field.  It's some kind of springy turf.  It must be great playing on.  It puts a spring in your step that makes you (and me ;)) feel like we're 20 years old again.  On to the game

Vandy74

Btw, amh63....Katie  and Chrissy Ritter are the daughters of MC football HC Bob Ritter.  A junior and a sophomore.

Vandy74

I'm only getting live stats but that might be all I can take.  Amherst up 5-0 midway through the 1st half.  Ouch. 

Vandy74

Amherst 7 Midd 5 at the half.  Amherst is winning the battle of draw controls.  The Panthers have been a stronger team in the second half all season long.  Hope that will be the case today.

Vandy74

Amherst 11 Middlebury 10.  What a barn-burner.  Congratulations to the winners who we will likely see at least one more time if not two before this whole thing is resolved.  The snow might even be gone by then. ::) ::) :P

amh63

Vandy....see that the video feed was out....wonder if it was because the game was moved to the football field where there is the springy turf and cover for the electronics.  Yep, the live stats said the contest was at Pratt field.....somebody forgot to adjust the feed is my guess.  Attendance shows 374 people...how do they count them?
The Panthers has one great scorer with a last name starting with S...will not butcher the spelling.  5 shots...5 goals!  Wow!   Middlebury won the 2nd half.  Was it because the star got two yellow cards?

Interesting afternoon...went to check on the softball game against Wesleyan...delayed video feed until after the women lacrosse game against Colby down in Middletown.  Decided to watch , to get my eyes adjusted to watching women lacrosse again.  Both teams appear to have skill levels not up to Middlebury  and Amherst.  Lots of TOs and choppy play due to way too many stoppage due to fouls and errors....like too many players on the field.

Several interesting notes.....the Cardinals wins are against opponents not in Nescac.  Losses to date are against conference teams.  First year HC is named Belichick...daughter of Patriots' HFC..who is also a WES grad and former player.  She has an assist coach that did all the talking to the team at halftime.

Middlebury player has the same last name as the HFC at Bowdoin.  Any relationship to the football Caputi's?

Just checked the official box...Sciarretta...think I got it right...had 4 goals, not  5 and she had one yellow card.  The attendance was 372...not 374....who really knows :)

Vandy74

Quote from: amh63 on March 29, 2014, 02:30:23 PM
Vandy....see that the video feed was out....wonder if it was because the game was moved to the football field where there is the springy turf and cover for the electronics.  Yep, the live stats said the contest was a Pratt field.....somebody forgot to adjust the feed is my guess.  Attendance shows 374 people...how do they count them?
The Panthers has one great scorer with a last name starting with S...will not butcher the spelling.  5 shots...5 goals!  Wow!   Middlebury won the 2nd half.  Was it because the star got two yellow cards?

Interesting afternoon...went to check in the softball game against Wesleyan...delayed video feed until after the women lacrosse game against Colby down in Middletown.  Decided to watch , to get my eyes adjusted to watching women lacrosse again.  Both teams appear to have skill levels not up to Middlebury  and Amherst.  Lots of TOs and choppy play due to way too many stoppage due to fouls and errors....like too many players on the field.

Several interesting notes.....the Cardinals wins are against opponents not in Nescac.  Losses to date are against conference teams.  First year HC is named Belichick...daughter of Patriots' HFC..who is also a WES grad and former player.  She has an assist coach that did all the talking to the team at halftime.

Middlebury player has the same last name as the HFC at Bowdoin.  Any relationship to the football Caputi's?

Just checked the official box...Sciarretta...think I got it right...had 4 goals, not  5 and she had one yellow card.  The attendance was 372...not 374....who really knows :)

Amh63.....several comments to make as well as some info per your previous queries but it will have to wait as my evening just got complicated.  I didn't see Katie Ritter's name in the box score.  If she didn't play I wonder why not. A difference maker.  A good friend whose daughter plays at Wellesley attended their game with Wesleyan and said Coach Belichick was in attendance. Very cool.

More later....

NCF

The Cardinals ended the non-conference portion of their season with a 15-5 victory over Linfield. They open conference play tomorrow at Aurora.
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13
CCIW  MEN"S INDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: TOTAL DOMINATION SINCE 2001.
CCIW MEN'S OUTDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: 35
NATIONAL CHAMPIONS: INDOOR TRACK-'89,'10,'11,'12/OUTDOOR TRACK: '89,'94,'98,'00,'10,'11
2013 OAC post season pick-em tri-champion
2015 CCIW Pick-em co-champion

amh63

Amherst had a good day today with wins over Wesleyan in both men and women games.
The women's game at home in the lower lacrosse field started off with 4 quick goals by the LJs...much like the the game with the Panthers.  Amherst held off the Cardinals 8 to 4 and remain unbeaten.
The men's match in Middletown started off badly with Amherst 4-0 with only a minute to go in the half?  Amherst scores a goal to make it 4-1.  Amherst starts off the 2 half strong with 5 straight goals to take a 6-4 lead.  The game ends with Amherst leading 14-10...with 30 secs to go  when the video went off.  Better ending than the game against Middlebury which ended 8-7 in the Panther's favor.
The Amherst little 3 game this season ended better than last season.  Both teams will meet Williams this weekend, I believe.  Williams is playing their home games in North Adams at The Mass. College of Liberal Arts....since the Ephs' fields are being rebuilt....a 20 million dollar renovation!

Noticed that in the Women's game, the players goggles and shoes varied greatly.  Personal choices?
Understand wrt to the eye protection thing...but the shoes?   The pics from the
Middlebury  game...available on the Amherst website shows the different style of eye wear and footwear.  Noticed the Panther fans travel with their dogs...in the stands...nice :).

Vandy74

Quote from: amh63 on March 29, 2014, 02:30:23 PM
Vandy....see that the video feed was out....wonder if it was because the game was moved to the football field where there is the springy turf and cover for the electronics.  Yep, the live stats said the contest was at Pratt field.....somebody forgot to adjust the feed is my guess.  Attendance shows 374 people...how do they count them?

Interesting afternoon...went to check on the softball game against Wesleyan...delayed video feed until after the women lacrosse game against Colby down in Middletown.  Decided to watch , to get my eyes adjusted to watching women lacrosse again.  Both teams appear to have skill levels not up to Middlebury  and Amherst.  Lots of TOs and choppy play due to way too many stoppage due to fouls and errors....like too many players on the field.

Amh63.....A few answers to your questions.  Allison Aldrich does have a father who coached at Middlebury.  I know him although I didn't meet him until a year or two after his daughter played at Amherst.  He retired from coaching in 2010 and his women's cross-country teams won 5 DIII National Championships.  I watched today's game against Hamilton with him.  Allison (DiNardo) is now the head coach at Deerfield Academy.  I haven't had a chance to ask anyone in the know yet but since the Bowdoin Football site says that Coach Caputi has a daughter named Marguerite I would venture to guess that the Maggie Caputi on the Middlebury roster is his daughter.  Add Katie and Chrissy Ritter along with Katie Mandigo (father is MC women's Ice Hockey HC) that makes 4 coaches' daughters on the roster.  A recipe for success I would think.

Congratulations to Amherst moving up to #3 in the women's rankings following their win over the Panthers.  Grrrrr. ;)  In Middlebury's 11-8 victory over Hamilton this afternoon Alli Sciaretta only tallied an assist.  The scoring came from Laurel Pascal (4 goals on 6 shots and an assist), Bridget Instrum and Mary O'Connell, each with 3 goals and an assist and Chrissy Ritter scoring the remaining tally.  Sciaretta, Instrum and Pascal are sophomores.  O'Connell is a freshman.

Btw, someone at the game this afternoon said he was able to watch a vid-stream of the Amherst-Midd game.  He said it came on about 10 minutes into the contest.  I guess by that time I'd given up trying to find it.  Just as well.  I'm no more capable of sitting still watching a computer feed of our teams play each other in lacrosse than I am watching them play basketball.

amh63

Vandy...thanks for the info and response to my inquires.   I figured out that Caputi's connection since her hometown is in Maine...though she went to HS in NHamp. 
Do not follow the rankings...since they are a stress factor for me ....an unnecessary one.  Lacrosse games can change so quickly, IMO....due to a TO or a foul....like in BB.
Speaking of basketball ...your Cuz...wants me to get you to increase your post on the BB board.

Correction...Amherst's men will meet Williams late in the season...not soon.

Allison's married name ..Di Nardo ...sounds familiar...has a Nescac connection somewhere.  football player?...Amherst classmate?  Another thing to keep me busy.

Vandy74

Middlebury made it exciting again this afternoon, down 5-2 at the half against Bates but winning the second stanza 5-1.  Colby hung with Amherst well into the second half but the Jeffs look like the team to beat in the NESCAC.  Trinity, upset by Bates earlier in the season is still possibly the best of the bunch.  Tough conference.

I know there isn't a lot of chatter on this board but are there any Augustana fans out there?  The undefeated women's team beat a very good Denison team this afternoon.  In only the program's 4th season they are ranked in the top 25% of all teams playing at the D3 level nationally.  Last year representing the MWLC in the NCAA tournament they flew to CA for a Wednesday game, beating Redlands, and then flew to Hartford CN to play Trinity on Saturday.  Trinity went on to lose to Salisbury in the championship game.  Along with North Central and Carthage (who in three games lost to Augustana by single goal margins) they will form a solid nucleus for the CCIW when the conference recognizes lacrosse in 2014-15. 

amh63

Amherst's win over Colby was their first in a decade....according to thr Amherst writeup.   Watched a bit of the game online....noticed the mounds of snow around.  Home team white uniforms provide a little advantage? :)
Amherst's men's team is also winning again....new assistant coaches added.  Saw that Pratt field has added fences around it to protect the people watching from the high velocity shots....interesting.
While watching some Div 1 games, there was a mention of some changes in the rules.  Anyone to elaborate?
Vandy....see you are continuing to be a night owl...or is that day owl...based on the time?
All in all...it is going to be an interesting season in the Nescac...along with the Spring weather.

Vandy74

Quote from: amh63 on April 06, 2014, 09:44:04 AM
Amherst's win over Colby was their first in a decade....according to thr Amherst writeup.   Watched a bit of the game online....noticed the mounds of snow around.  Home team white uniforms provide a little advantage? :)
Amherst's men's team is also winning again....new assistant coaches added.  Saw that Pratt field has added fences around it to protect the people watching from the high velocity shots....interesting.
While watching some Div 1 games, there was a mention of some changes in the rules.  Anyone to elaborate?
Vandy....see you are continuing to be a night owl...or is that day owl...based on the time?
All in all...it is going to be an interesting season in the Nescac...along with the Spring weather.

Amh63....I thought I posted this hours ago.  Must have been distracted.  Here's a link to an explanation of the new rules.  I believe they only apply to the men.

www.hgrlacrosse.com/new-college-lacrosse-rules

The Amherst women's losing streak against Colby was 10 games, not 10 years.  Amherst had last won in 2006 but lost three times to the Mules in the conference post season tourney as well as the regular season game.  Colby women's lax is a strong program as NESCAC fans like ourselves are well aware.  They compiled a 99-31 record over that 7 year span beating several very good Amherst teams in the process.

Considering the wisdom of maintaining my recent sleep schedule I don't think an owl is the appropriate comparative reference.  But whooooo knows? ;)