Lacrosse

Started by drisclaw, July 03, 2011, 09:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

P'bearfan

QuotePerhaps Bowdoin's 6-1 start, including wins over Stevens and Middlebury is a bit surprising as this was a 3-12 team last year.  The fact that the top four scorers for Bowdoin are sophomores and that a couple freshmen have been solid contributors already is a positive sign for the future of the program.

Yes the future is bright for the Polar Bears!!

Vandy74

Quote from: amh63 on March 31, 2016, 01:40:56 PM
Vandy74.....need to get a perspective of yesterday's Men's Middlebury's win over Rochester IT.  Saw it was played in the Carrier Dome in Syracuse.  Was it an Tourny event?  About 2-3 hour trip for RIT.  More for the Panthers, I guess.

Ouch.  Another close loss.  In the last 6 seconds no less.  I missed this one, amh63.  I play trivia at a local pub on Wednesday nights.  My only social life these days.  I'm prepping for my fantasy baseball draft on Saturday, speaking of trivial data, so I'd forgotten to check on how this one had turned out.  I fear Middlebury is like Stevenson this season.  A very good team that consistently comes up just a bit short against their toughest foes.  4-4.  All four losses to highly ranked squads.  Three by a single goal and the other by only 2.  Shades of last season's Colby women's team that lost five times by a single tally and once by two.  All six defeats at the hands of Top 20 teams.  Some years the breaks just never fall your way.   Like their basketball team, winning the NESCAC tournament is now Middlebury's only hope for post season play.  Like the hoopsters, it's doable.  The Panthers have dug themselves into a deep hole AND we haven't played Amherst yet.  I'll miss seeing that one too.  Baseball draft. ::) :P :( :(

I'd noticed that the game was to be played in the Carrier Dome.  RIT played SUNY Cortland there as well about 3 weeks ago.  They must have a friendly relationship with the Orange.  It's an attractive lure to get other teams to agree to play them I expect.  In Middlebury's case it takes an hour fifteen off the travel time.  I have close cousins who grew up in Rochester.  It was an eight hour drive back in those days.  Now it can be done in just over five. 

PolarCat

Really sorry to hear that Maggie Caputi is injured.  She had an absolutely phenomenal start to the season.  Hopefully, she will be back for the playoffs.

amh63, there are actually 3 Caputi girls.  Maggie (the oldest) is a senior at Midd.  Middle daughter Lydia is a sophomore at Bowdoin, where she has hung up the lacrosse cleats to focus on WBB.  Baby sister Claire is a FY defender at Colby.  Meanwhile big brother Mac (former Bowdoin QB) is a 2LT in the USMC, and father Dave is the OC for Middlebury football.  Mom, dad, Mac and Lydia were all up at Midd last weekend for Claire's game.

Bowdoin's WLAX team keeps having a crazy season, blowing out a pretty decent St. Joe's of Maine team Wednesday night 21-4, despite Liz Grote sitting her starters beginning at just 2:30 into the game.  It's almost bipolar.  Bowdoin is 4-0 against non-NESCAC opponents, with a cumulative score of 70-22 (not a typo).  But they are 0-4 in NESCAC play, with a cumulative score of 29-53.  Hopefully the dominant Bowdoin personality surfaces tomorrow, when they travel to the Coop to take on Trinity (6-2 overall, 3-1 in NESCAC).

amh63

PolarCat....thanks for the info on Claire! Thought she went to a Nescac school...but didn't find her on the roster at Midd, Bowdoin and Bates.  Did not check Colby.
Good, filed the info on the Caputi's away.  The father has been around the conference...was an assist at Amherst where he befriended MBB HC Dave Hixon.  Was at a game in Willytown and saw Coach Hixon scouting Williams....during halftime, someone brought Hixon a bag of popcorn.  Asked Hixon about it years later.  Told me that Caputi sent him the popcorn...via a student.  Plus K

Seems I have to do it on Sat....PolarCat

amh63

Vandy74....have. You been pinged lately?  Seems I have someone pinging me periodically.  Just curious who the person is that doesn't have the " manhood" to admit his action.

Vandy74

Quote from: amh63 on April 01, 2016, 08:18:42 PM
Vandy74....have. You been pringed lately?  Seems I have someone pinging me periodically.  Just curious who the person is that doesn't have the " manhood" to admit his action.

It's our little buddy from before.  Think "Michigan."  I don't know what his problem is and I don't care.  He's been dinging me on an almost daily basis for at least three weeks.   I thought I noticed a few times he hit you as well.  Nescac1 doesn't post much anymore so I'm unaware of what his -K score is.  I haven't noticed if AmherstStudent05 has been under attack either.  I think there is about a 14 page gap between my last posts on the basketball board.  Between those posts "Chuckie" hit me twelve times.  A true man among men. ::)  I've stopped taking the high road on the matter and have been dinging him back each time I get hit. ;D  What do we owe him?  About 200 apiece I think.  At least.  The dude is certifiable.  He even posts on our basketball board while he's doing it. 

On a more pleasant note, may the best teams win tomorrow when Middlebury faces off against Amherst in lacrosse.  I'll be at my fantasy baseball draft so it's one I'll have to miss.  Too bad too.  I expect it's the MC women's toughest test to-date.  Playing on their home turf perhaps the men can finally come out on the winning end but I won't hold my breath.  They seem to be snakebit this season.

amh63

Middlebury beats Amherst 8-7 in OT.  4-3 Amherst at the half.  Watched the game when Amherst was ahead 5-3 when the Panthers cut Amherst's lead to 5-4.  Light drizzle.  Had to do yard work...preparing the garden, etc.  Came back and saw the score.  stats tell the story, IMO. Midd took more shots- 27-14, had more " penalty shots".  Oh well, Amherst beat Midd yesterday in softball with a 9 th inning homer, 5-3.

Back to lacrosse....Panthers beating Amherst in wet weather in VT...10-5 in the 3rd period....men's lacrosse game.  Waiting for an Amherst comeback!

Vandy74

Quote from: amh63 on April 02, 2016, 03:20:34 PM
Middlebury beats Amherst 8-7 in OT.  4-3 Amherst at the half.  Watched the game when Amherst was ahead 5-3 when the Panthers cut Amherst's lead to 5-4.  Light drizzle.  Had to do yard work...preparing the garden, etc.  Came back and saw the score.  stats tell the story, IMO. Midd took more shots- 27-14, had more " penalty shots".  Oh well, Amherst beat Midd yesterday in softball with a 9 th inning homer, 5-3.

Back to lacrosse....Panthers beating Amherst in wet weather in VT...10-5 in the 3rd period....men's lacrosse game.  Waiting for an Amherst comeback!

What a day to be tied up with a fantasy baseball draft. >:(  I'm only reading box scores but Middlebury had a two win day over Amherst.  It was a much needed win for the men who have come out on  the short end of things against the elite opponents for the most part this season.  I knew the women were in for a tough test.  A failed free position by the Panthers with :06 remaining sending the game into OT.  Middlebury controlled the opening draw in the extra period and scored.   I expect the two teams will meet again in the Nescac tourney.  By the final 8-7 score I assumed it was a defensive battle but it seems that on the Amherst side of things it was great play in goal by Christy Forrest.  15 saves on 23 SOG doesn't result in the loss very often.  A fine performance by Middelbury GK Kate Mandigo as well. 

Bombers798891

Ithaca's men's lacrosse team has been very surprising. They're 9-1, and they just took #16 Stevens to the cleaners. They've got #11 Nazareth and #2 RIT on the schedule yet, so we'll see if it can last. But glad to see they're playing well

amh63

Bomber798891....you are being modest wrt to Ithaca College.  Saw your team beat Cortland St. Too!
Might have to check out a game, if available, when I visit my daughter and her family in late Spring.  She lives between Cortland and Ithaca.  In any case, suspect both your team and Mine maybe in the post season hunt. :)

Bombers798891

Quote from: amh63 on April 04, 2016, 01:56:42 PM
Bomber798891....you are being modest wrt to Ithaca College.  Saw your team beat Cortland St. Too!
Might have to check out a game, if available, when I visit my daughter and her family in late Spring.  She lives between Cortland and Ithaca.  In any case, suspect both your team and Mine maybe in the post season hunt. :)
\\

It seems like Cortland is down quite a bit, but that was a big win for the program. I don't really follow lacrosse, so I figured I'd play it more modest than boastful, but it's nice to see.

polbear73

There are 5 interesting "local" midweek men's NESCAC games tonight topped by Bowdoin at Bates and Amherst at Wesleyan in terms of conference and ranking implications. 

amh63

polbear73.....thanks for the reminder! Plus K. 
Been recovering from watching the UConn WBB team win their 4 th straight title.  The college basketball season is finished. 
I prefer women lacrosse over men for various reasons.  The men's game has really changed from my college years.  One of my classmates...played guard on the football team, wrestled unlimited class and played lacrosse.  Was undefeated in wrestling his freshman year, but had to give it up due to studies...was a math and physics major like me.  His oldest daughter was a classmate of my daughter in school.  Anyway, remember watching a lacrosse game at UMass and an Amherst player crash into the goalie while attempting to score.  Game is much faster and skilled with quickness needed.  The days of the Johns Hopkins Lacrosse players playing football to keep in shape have passed.

amh63

Amherst women wins over Wesleyan at home 10-5 in cold but clear conditions.  Saw that the Middlebury game was postponed due to weather.
Meanwhile at Wesleyan, Amherst is battling hard against the Cardinals.  Down almost the entire first half, the mem's team rallied to tie the game at the half, 8-8.  The Cardinals jump to a two goal lead quickly...like in the first half...soon after the start of the of the third quarter. 
Amherst seems to get behind before catching up....not a good process in night games and non Spring weather conditions.

amh63

The men's game was too stressful for me!  Left it to do other things.
Seems Amherst tied the game in the last 10 seconds at 17-17.  Won in OT.  In a way, glad I left watching the game. 
Will return to Feinstein's latest book on Basketball....easier on the eyes and heart...full of trivial info.
Just a thought for posters here....future technology may bring affordable virtual on line to your home.  Rather watch games live....and chat with fans about.