Lacrosse

Started by drisclaw, July 03, 2011, 09:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amh63

PolarCat...True :). My comment elsewhere was based on the point that female Mammoth...how can you tell?...also have tusks. 
Now the Polarbears is Nothing a cuddly Mascot or an Eph.  Come to think about that...Williams does not have a great women lax team.

PolarCat

Tough battle to overcome.  On the recruiting trail, we used to hear "Play for Williams?  Are you Eph-ing kidding me?"

It will be interesting to see what type of coach Williams hires for next year.  There are some Eph parents agitating for a young gal with D1 experience, instead of someone with NESCAC roots.  Not sure I agree with that.  The Ephs have struggled the last few years, but Chris Mason is a class act, and teaches great life lessons. 

magicman

Hey Vandy amd amh63,

As both of you have stated on several occasions...why doesn't Plattsburgh have a Women's Lacrosse team?

I can now say they don't, but they will.

Big announcement coming out of Plattsburgh State earlier today. The Cardinals will be adding Women's Lacrosse as a Varsity sport in 2018-19. The first game will be played in the spring of 2019.

We have a new AD this year and maybe that had something to do with it. He came from St. Lawrence University and they have a strong Lacrosse program. I think his sons also played in high school. It's possible the former AD was also pushing for it, but there may have been a problem with finances or the administration. At any rate the ladies will finally get to join the SUNYAC and now the league will have the full 10 teams since Plattsburgh was the only member of the SUNYAC conference that didn't field a team.

One of the local schools, Plattsburgh High School started a boys lacrosse program this year as well and hopefully the rest of the area will get on board. Many of the NY high schools to the west and south of our region have boys and girls high school teams, but no one here in the Champlain Valley has fielded a team until this year. The Plattsburgh High team is actually comprised of students from several other high schools in the area to have an appropriate number of players to field a team. Glad to see the Cardinals finally get on board.

Here's a link to the press conference announcement:   http://gocardinalsports.com/news/2017/4/11/general-plattsburgh-state-to-add-womens-lacrosse-as-18th-varsity-sport.aspx?path=wlax     

Vandy74

Quote from: magicman on April 12, 2017, 12:40:52 AM
Hey Vandy amd amh63,

As both of you have stated on several occasions...why doesn't Plattsburgh have a Women's Lacrosse team?

Big announcement coming out of Plattsburgh State earlier today. The Cardinals will be adding Women's Lacrosse as a Varsity sport in 2018-19. The first game will be played in the spring of 2019.

We have a new AD this year and maybe that had something to do with it. He came from St. Lawrence University and they have a strong Lacrosse program. I think his sons also played in high school. It's possible the former AD was also pushing for it, but there may have been a problem with finances or the administration. At any rate the ladies will finally get to join the SUNYAC and now the league will have the full 10 teams since Plattsburgh was the only member of the SUNYAC conference that didn't field a team.

One of the local schools, Plattsburgh High School started a boys lacrosse program this year as well and hopefully the rest of the area will get on board. Many of the NY high schools to the west and south of our region have boys and girls high school teams, but no one here in the Champlain Valley has fielded a team until this year. The Plattsburgh High team is actually comprised of students from several other high schools in the area to have an appropriate number of players to field a team. Glad to see the Cardinals finally get on board.

Here's a link to the press conference announcement:   http://gocardinalsports.com/news/2017/4/11/general-plattsburgh-state-to-add-womens-lacrosse-as-18th-varsity-sport.aspx?path=wlax   

That's great news magicman.  The SUNYAC offers some good programs in 2015 National Champion Cortland, along with Fredonia and Brockport who have populated the Top 20 in recent years.  There is plenty of high school talent to recruit from on the eastern side of the Champlain Valley while the local NY schools begin to take up the sport and develop their own.  Do you know if the plan is to play at the club level next year in preparation for the 2019 varsity season?  Welcome aboard.       

magicman

Quote from: Vandy74 on April 12, 2017, 02:23:50 AM
Quote from: magicman on April 12, 2017, 12:40:52 AM
Hey Vandy amd amh63,

That's great news magicman.  The SUNYAC offers some good programs in 2015 National Champion Cortland, along with Fredonia and Brockport who have populated the Top 20 in recent years.  There is plenty of high school talent to recruit from on the eastern side of the Champlain Valley while the local NY schools begin to take up the sport and develop their own.  Do you know if the plan is to play at the club level next year in preparation for the 2019 varsity season?  Welcome aboard.     

I don't know if they will play at a club level  next year or not Vandy. I'll know more later on. They plan to hire the coach in June I believe.

middhoops

Trinity hosts Middlebury women's lax and loses a heartbreaker in double OT, 10-9.
Feels a lot like last year when the Bantams beat Midd in Vermont in the regular season.
As a partisan, I hope it doesn't play out the same way.

amh63

Midhoops....covering for your cuz?  Is he still in "fantasy baseball".
In any case, the women Lax Panthers took down the bantams. 
The Amherst men's took down no. 2 Tufts in a battle of big mascots :).

amh63

Kinda quiet here as the Lax season comes to a close. 
The Wooly Bullies of Amherst won over the Ephs today at home and away.  The WLax team won on Pratt while the MLax team won in Willytown. 
Both teams have the momentum going into the playoffs.  It appears that the Nescac Titles are somewhat open this year, imho.

Vandy74

Quote from: amh63 on April 22, 2017, 03:54:48 PM
Kinda quiet here as the Lax season comes to a close. 
The Wooly Bullies of Amherst won over the Ephs today at home and away.  The WLax team won on Pratt while the MLax team won in Willytown. 
Both teams have the momentum going into the playoffs.  It appears that the Nescac Titles are somewhat open this year, imho.

amh63, I couldn't agree more.  I've been lax in posting here this season.  (I won't lie, pun intended. ;D)  I have been following the action, however.  I don't believe it will be between Trinity and Middlebury this time around.  My money is on Colby and Hamilton.  Both programs have been flying under the radar.  Both should feel they have something to prove.  Hamilton, who beat the Bantams today in Hartford, has won the DIII national championship, albeit while representing the Liberty League in 2008.  They followed that by playing in the Final Four in 2009 and losing the championship game in 2010.  They have not matched that level of success since joining the NESCAC.  Colby has been near the top of the conference since the NESCAC became a playing conference.  From 2006-2013 they averaged a 13-4 record.  Two seasons back, an off year by their standards, they had six losses, all but one to a team ranked in the Top 20.  Five were by a single goal and the other was by two.  In spite of this, they have never advanced as far as the NCAA Final Four.  The team I watched beat my Panthers today could change that.  I should add that Wesleyan and Bowdoin are fully capable of winning their quarterfinal round games. 

It's a down year for Middlebury men's lacrosse, allowing me to put my full support behind the Wooley Bullies.

middhoops

A very bold statement Vandy. 
I defer to you in all things womens lacrosse.
Knocking off Trinity and Midd when it matters would certainly indicate a changing of the guard.  The playoffs will be more interesting than they've been in a while.
Hamilton and Colby you say?  Let the playoffs begin!

amh63

Some interesting football/ sport info in today's WSJ..on the front page no less.
Has to do with the BUZZ over a Vermont HS Mascot.  Seems the town of Southern Burlington VT....an upscale town of 18,000 people and home of Ben and Jerry HQ is fighting over the local HS Mascot...called the Rebels.  The Board of Supervisors wants the Mascot changed in today's PC atmosphere.  Yes, in the 60's the school had a Southern type flag etc., but no longer in recent decades. 
Of course in the battle of mascots, the story of the Amherst College Mascot came up...caught my attention :).  In any case....the story closed with a 17 year old student was quoted that the Board must have more important things to do.......give that student a spot in Amherst's class of 2022!
Oh, lots of interesting history of Vermont.  Did you know that VT did not enter the US until 1794?
In general the people were Rebels in many ways and Gen. George Washington did not desire to argue with Vermonters.  Agree they are "strange" people living in the Green Mountains :)

middhoops

A guy who resides in D.C. says strange people live in Vermont?  Ok......

The story from S. Burlington got pretty strange.  A student at the school sent a series of death threats via social media and shut the schools down for a few days before being caught.
Ok, that kid may be strange.
You got me there.

amh63

OK...Middhoops....maybe " strange " is to broad a label.  Maybe "unique" would be a better term. Cannot complain about the brew or the ice cream vendors from VT.  Now politicians like B. sanders and H. Dean are another matter :).

amh63

The Hungry Panthers took it to the Wooly Bullies , lean and mean today on the Lax fields.  Middlebury beat the higher seed Amherst men at Pratt, while the lady lax team lost to the Middlebury up in the Green Mountains....both quarter final games.  The men's team May advance into the post season, but not the ladies this season.

Vandy74

Quote from: amh63 on April 29, 2017, 03:39:07 PM
The Hungry Panthers took it to the Wooly Bullies , lean and mean today on the Lax fields.  Middlebury beat the higher seed Amherst men at Pratt, while the lady lax team lost to the Middlebury up in the Green Mountains....both quarter final games.  The men's team May advance into the post season, but not the ladies this season.

amh63.......I'm as shocked by the Panther men's victory as I am at how easily the Amherst women could have pulled off a similar upset.  This team bore no resemblance to the 13-3 easy out Middlebury faced on April 1.  Despite all home teams winning today there was real parity in the conference this season.