Coaching changes for 2020

Started by PlaySimple, December 04, 2019, 12:15:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PlaySimple

Other than Williams coach Michelyne Pinard, who is leaving Williams to become the AD at a boarding school in California, what changes are taking place after this season? I would like comments based on facts and not suppositions. I can think of multiple coaches that probably should not be coaching but that is not the purpose of this thread.

Pinard had a great 18 year tenure at Williams and compiled an amazing 268-51-38 record in that time. This year's Ephs greatly exceeded expectations and narrowly missed making the final 4 before bowing out to Messiah in a 3-2 shootout after playing to a 2-2 draw. 

Caz Bombers

Muskingum, George Fox, Merchant Marine (new program), Elmira, Ohio Wesleyan, Saint Mary's (Minn.) are the other WSOC head coach vacancies on the NCAA Job Market website.

PlaySimple

Leo Weil, the only women's soccer coach at Johns Hopkins since the inception of the program, is stepping down. It seems by the announcement on the Johns Hopkins website, that Weil is not leaving on his own accord.

https://hopkinssports.com/news/2019/12/9/johns-hopkins-announces-womens-soccer-coaching-change.aspx

cciw83

The Sewanee position just opened up.  College is in the mountains by itself. It has a loyal alumni base, but it's a different atmosphere because of its isolation.

Ron Boerger

Quote from: PlaySimple on December 10, 2019, 12:32:19 AM
Leo Weil, the only women's soccer coach at Johns Hopkins since the inception of the program, is stepping down. It seems by the announcement on the Johns Hopkins website, that Weil is not leaving on his own accord.

https://hopkinssports.com/news/2019/12/9/johns-hopkins-announces-womens-soccer-coaching-change.aspx

Yeah, there's all kinds of readings between the lines you can do in that announcement, and none of it good.  Weil was just named to their HoF last year.

Quote"While we have enjoyed a high level of competitive success, I determined after a careful review that a change in leadership was in the best interest of our program.  We are fully committed to providing the best experience to our student-athletes on and off the field and that will be our focus [...]"

Ouch.

PlaySimple

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

If no one noticed, Johns Hopkins let go of their long-time coach ... clearly for reasons they aren't talking about.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

PlaySimple

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on December 11, 2019, 11:18:33 PM
If no one noticed, Johns Hopkins let go of their long-time coach ... clearly for reasons they aren't talking about.

There are a few posts in this thread about it.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: PlaySimple on December 12, 2019, 03:05:10 AM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on December 11, 2019, 11:18:33 PM

There are a few posts in this thread about it.

Considering how much I have to follow in a given day/week, I can't keep track of them all... I simply didn't see it as I scanned for it.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

d3parent

Slightly off topic, but does anyone know what it means when a coach is "under review"? Do reviews happen annually or would that be a sign that the school is not happy with the coach?

socalcoach

Could be abad sign for the coach in most cases...how do you know the coach is "under review"?

d3parent

Small school in a small town and some locals play for the team so word gets around. 

PlaySimple

Quote from: d3parent on December 27, 2019, 08:50:18 AM
Small school in a small town and some locals play for the team so word gets around.

Has the coach been at the school for awhile? If the coach is fairly new, being "under review" would be really bad. If the coach has been at the school for a number of years being "under review" is more ambiguous. It could be routine or it may not. Generally speaking if a coach has only been in a position for a few years they would constantly be being evaluated to see how they're transitioning or so the AD knows if the coach needs more resources or so that the coach is aware of all of the resources available but stating "under review" sounds more serious.

d3parent

The coach has been there for awhile. 

PlaySimple

Dan Weiler from Christopher Newport is the new Johns Hopkins coach. This is a good hire for JHU.

https://hopkinssports.com/news/2020/2/19/dan-weiler-named-head-womens-soccer-coach.aspx