FB: Empire 8

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D3viewer

Hartwick has the easiest non conf schedule (based on last years W-L record) in the Empire 8. Wilkes, Alfred St, and Kings were a combined 6-24 last season,  a winning % of 20 %. Your boys, Fisher, even tho only scheduling 2 non conf teams, have the toughest non conf docket. W & J and Ithaca were a combined 19-4 last season, a winning percentage of 84 %.

fisheralum91

Vos has always been a proponent of strength in schedule.
From the scheduling of UMU, Hobart and W&J, SFJC finds out pretty quickly where they stand.

In this years case-----not quite ready

Bombers798891

If we ever stop calling Hartwick "Team Boltus" I'll karma snipe everyone here until the day the sun dies

AUPepBand

Quote from: Bombers798891 on September 07, 2018, 12:32:47 PM
If we ever stop calling Hartwick "Team Boltus" I'll karma snipe everyone here until the day the sun dies

Team Boltus it is. Heck, y'all know Pep loves him some +Karma. +K to Bombers...sure been a rainy late summer, bet that grass is a foot high on ButterField. That should slow down dem Eagles...go ahead and upset Brockport. That'll get the Bombers sky high and the Saxons can bring them back down to earth on the Merrill Field turf next week.  ;)

Pep's gonna bet the bank the Saxons don't lose tomorrow.
On Saxon Warriors! On to Victory!
...Fight, fight for Alfred, A-L-F, R-E-D!

ITH radio

Boltus is (or at least was until recently, not 100% sure) a HS coach here in the Orlando area, not far from where I live now, so Team Boltus is alive and well down here in FLA.
Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle

D3viewer

Quote from: ITH radio on September 08, 2018, 09:11:00 AM
Boltus is (or at least was until recently, not 100% sure) a HS coach here in the Orlando area, not far from where I live now, so Team Boltus is alive and well down here in FLA.

Hope he has a good DC.

pg04

A week late like usual the last few years, but hope everyone is enkoying the season so far. Go Golden Eagles!

Oline89

Brockport Fans, I need to know...was Ithaca as good as they appear in the box score, or was Brockport looking past them?  The B'port team I saw on the field for opening day dominated every facet of the game, and looked to be on the fast track to the playoffs  Ithaca played without their star receiver and only lost by 6, holding Bport to 13 points? 

bports

The D was lights out. Offense left about 20- 24 pts on the field. 2 flat out drops on long passes that would have been walk in td's, missed short fg, fumble inside the 5 yd line, and numerous pre snap penalties. Even a cb dropped a ing jumping a pass route that would have been a walk in td. With that said Ithaca is solid and probably won't lose again at home. After 2 very tough teams to start the season The next 3 weeks I doubt they will be tested and a bye week. So I doubt they were looking past Ithaca at all. Ithaca with a solid D at home is a tough out especially when you don't play well.

D3viewer

Let's start with the easy part. Brockport's defense was top notch going in and top notch going out. Losing Gladney only tipped the matchup more into Brockport's favor. I will say this tho, Galdney may have well been good for at least 1 TD, which would have been the difference in the game. So maybe him being out was the difference.

Ithaca had the LL's best defense last season. That should have indicated that IC had the right DC in place with a very good scheme and approach. We all knew going in that brockport's weakness this season would be their OL.  Ithaca's defense flew around, swarmed the ball and filled the rush lanes. They were also excellent open field tacklers. Brockport's offense is best when they can run the ball. Everything starts with their inside zone. Needless to say Ithaca stuffed the run for much of the day. Both RBs were under 4 yards a carry. They couldn't punch it in in close with the run game and had to settle for FGs. Morrison got hurt again, and left with what looked like a serious knee injury. Their pass game then was out of sorts. Hubbard only had one catch (dropped a long bomb and Ortix led with a lot of dink and dunk passes. The screens were sniffed out by Ithaca's defense.
Germinerio also doesn't run the ball(not scrambles, but the run game) as much or well as last season (trying to save him?). Their run game is more dangerous when he is in the mix. What to do ? What to do ?

Also, brockport thrives on the big play, and they didn't really have any at all. Everything was a slog. The whole offense was held to 3.4 yards per play, very poor. IC's defense had a great game plan and execution. So maybe there was a bit of overconfidence on brockport's offensive side, coaches and players. brockport was extremely fortunate their defense held up or they would have lost.

So I think Brockport's OL just got punched in the mouth a bit by a feisty, tough defense which was quite better than Hobart's defense. They also missed out on a few scoring chances like in the UMHB game last year. I'm guessing Ithaca may well end up being the best defense they see in the regular season, with the only other contender possibly being Alfred.

south hill observer

Yes there were 2 deep ball that were dropped by Brockport but there was also a missed chip shot fg and I believe 3 drops on 3rd down by Ithaca. Ithaca's defense went up against Brockports best 11 while Brockport defense didn't have to account for our All-American wr Gladney. It was a hard fought, physical game that could of went either way but in the end I believe Brockport is a better team but Ithaca has the better Defense.

bports

I wouldn't consider a 39 yd fg a chip shot at the d3 level. Also big difference between dropping a 5 yd pass than dropping a sure couple of td. Don't forget the D touchdown for Brockport that got called back 60 yds for something ? Brockport D controlled that entire game and the Brockport O was quite bad as evident to all the pre snap penalties.

Bombers798891

Quote from: south hill observer on September 09, 2018, 09:11:30 PM
Yes there were 2 deep ball that were dropped by Brockport but there was also a missed chip shot fg

Quote from: bports on September 10, 2018, 06:49:21 AM
I wouldn't consider a 39 yd fg a chip shot at the d3 level.

Have to agree with bports here. A 39-yard kick is tough at this level, and Ithaca was just 5-of-12 on FG attempts last season. At this point, we have to consider IC's kicking issues a feature, not a bug.

Honestly, neither team looked sharp. Port had pre-snap penalties, and Ithaca had to burn multiple timeouts in the first half to avoid them. Both teams missed scoring opportunities.

At the end of the day, if you're Ithaca, you hope that the offensive struggles were a function of two things that won't be an issue going forward: The caliber of the defense they played, and Will Gladney's absence. If that turns out to be the case, the Bombers are going to be a very, very tough out in the LL

bports

Well said Bombers and good luck against alfred this week. You have a nice team and I was nervous about that game for a reason.

Bombers798891

So, can we talk about that Cortland game for a second?

I don't think I've ever seen a game shift like that. Down 19-14 late in the third, Cortland runs a kickoff back for a score, then forces turnovers on four straight drives, the last being a Pick 6.