MBB: NEWMAC

Started by nehoops4life, March 03, 2005, 10:39:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hugenerd

Quote from: AboveDaRim2399 on February 27, 2008, 10:50:39 PM
First and foremost, I hope Jimmy B is alright. He got fouled from behind with 2 minutes left in a 20 point deficit. I don't know if I would call the foul dirty, but just stupid. Game was over (almost) and he was on a breakaway. He landed awkwardly and hit the wall. CGA Trainer said he thinks he will be ok, but they just were being cautious. I wish him the best.

With that said, the 38 minutes before that CGA shut him down. He finished 4-14 with 8 TO's and only 12 points. Not only that but he was frustrated. Pushing and shoving, flopping on D and even got a technical foul for shoving G. Johnson down after a made basket. I haven't seen a better job on him yet. I believe it is his lowest point total of the season. Tremendous D from CGA tonight.

It will be interesting to see how they can get after Capola on Saturday as I see he had a great game tonight.

Sounds pretty dirty to me: getting taken out from behind when your team has already put the game away.  You cant really make the excuse of frustration since they were winning by double figures.  Just simply sounds like a really dirty, intent-to-injur type of play.  I was watching the game online, but I happened to miss that play because I got up to go to the kitchen, but I heard what the announcers were saying about it. I hope he is alright. I havent heard anything about his condition yet.

Hugenerd

I talked to someone that was with Jimmy in the hospital.  He said that Jimmy suffered a severe concussion and that they had to stay in the hospital until the middle of the night to get tests run to make sure that he was alright.  He is apparently doing ok now, but severe concussions are extremely serious. 

What a dirty, dirty play (for reasons I have outline previously).  I would expect better from a cga student.

AboveDaRim2399

Quote from: hugenerd on February 29, 2008, 09:52:22 AM

What a dirty, dirty play (for reasons I have outline previously).  I would expect better from a cga student.

It was not a diry play. I was there and saw it with my own eyes. Jimmy B just fell awkwardly after the CGA player made a play on the ball on a two on 1. If you didn't see it i don't think you should go around making comments like that.

T990

The play was unnecessary.  The game was decided.  It was unnecessary and the refs must have thought it was beyond appropriate defense as they called it an Intentional Foul immediately and before it was apparent Bartolotta was injured.

It doesn't make sense that someone from CGA would do that.  It seemed like that foul was delivered as hard as he could.  He did go for the ball but he seemed like he intended to hurt him too.

Hope Jimmy is OK.

BTW, Bartolotta was named First Team Academic All-American this week.  MIT leads the NCAA Division III in Academic All-Americans all time.

http://mitathletics.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/022908aaa.html

Hugenerd

Quote from: AboveDaRim2399 on February 29, 2008, 02:29:44 PM
Quote from: hugenerd on February 29, 2008, 09:52:22 AM

It was not a diry play. I was there and saw it with my own eyes. Jimmy B just fell awkwardly after the CGA player made a play on the ball on a two on 1. If you didn't see it i don't think you should go around making comments like that.

I have talked to enough people who were there to feel comfortable in my opinion.  You dont fall on your own and get a severe concussion (unless your are jumping off of something).  Someone has to hit you to cause that much damage.  I dont buy your "fell akwardly" argument (although that may be true, the CGA player clearly fouled him extremely excessively, especially for that point in the game).

Hugenerd

Quote from: T990 on February 29, 2008, 03:27:25 PM

BTW, Bartolotta was named First Team Academic All-American this week.  MIT leads the NCAA Division III in Academic All-Americans all time.

http://mitathletics.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/022908aaa.html

Thanks for the info, I am glad he is getting the respect he deserves, despite the team losing 8 straight since his injury (After losing to WPI in OT, JB got hurt and the team has not been the same since, losing all of their contests).

baseballguy

I did not see the play, but Hugenerd, you should be careful with such damning comments on a particular play you did not witness.  Sounds to me like 50% would say fair play and 50% would say dirty.  If it was a dirty play, the official would have tossed the player in question. Was there an ejection?
I have seen CGA play in the past, they play physical but clean.

T990

Quote from: baseballguy on February 29, 2008, 03:45:02 PM...they play physical but clean.

Agreed.  That is why it makes no sense that he committed that foul like that.

Hugenerd

Quote from: baseballguy on February 29, 2008, 03:45:02 PM
I did not see the play, but Hugenerd, you should be careful with such damning comments on a particular play you did not witness.  Sounds to me like 50% would say fair play and 50% would say dirty.  If it was a dirty play, the official would have tossed the player in question. Was there an ejection?
I have seen CGA play in the past, they play physical but clean.

The 50% you are talking about that say it would be a fair play is based on a single person's judgement.  I myself said that I expected better from a cga student, meaning that this is type of behavior is out of the ordinary.  However, I have talked to people who saw the play (even players in the game), I heard the commentators talking online about the play (again, I was watching the game online and happened to step out of the room right when the play happened and just saw him laying on the ground), and from everything I have heard, no matter how out of the norm for a cga team, that play was a dirty play (if you dont like the term dirty, come up with your own term, but the game was over, they were down 20 with 2 minutes to go, and it was on a fastbreak and the CGA player took out the MIT player so hard that he got a severe concussion). 

How do you give a player a severe concussion without fouling extremely excessively (an intentional foul was called on the play by the way, he probably wasnt ejected because he "went for the ball", also CGA's coach took c. johnson out immediately after the play).  How often do you hear about even a slight concussion in college or NBA ball?  Those guys jump twice as high and run twice as hard and yet you hardly ever hear of this type of injury.  A sprained ankle, a dislocated or broken finger, a strained muscle, or a charlie-horse I can understand.  But I have honestly never heard of anyone at any level getting a severe concussion in a basketball game (I have played a lot of basketball, I played in the UAA in undergrad, I was a grad assitant in the NEWMAC for a year, I am a big college and NBA fan), I just cannot fathom how somebody would land "akwardly" and get a severe concussion.  If I get a chance, I will try to get a copy of the video and take a look for myself and update you on my opinion, so I dont just have to go on severeal first-hand accounts, but from all the data I have now, I stick with my opinion. 

Hugenerd

Quote from: T990 on February 29, 2008, 03:53:21 PM
Quote from: baseballguy on February 29, 2008, 03:45:02 PM...they play physical but clean.

Agreed.  That is why it makes no sense that he committed that foul like that.

Just to follow up on this briefly, the main question still is why would you give such a hard foul at the end of the game like that when the game is out of reach.  Lets say for arguments sake the play wasnt dirty, what exactly was the player trying to gain from fouling the MIT player so hard that he would be able to sustain an injury of that extent.  It just doesnt make any sense.  There was some motivation to make an intentional foul of that extent at that time, because every basketball player at the college level knows that garbage time is garbage time and you dont try to hurt anyone when the game is no longer in doubt, and I wish I knew what that motivation was.  Was it supposed to be retaliation for JB's actions that got him a technical earlier in the game?  There is no way to know. You may say that it was a good hard foul, but was a "good hard foul" really necessary at that time, especially one that was as hard as he gave to cause a concussion.  Craig Johnson was a preseason all-american according to some polls, I really doubt that he didnt know the situation.  Its not like this was some bench player that was trying to show his coach that he was trying to play hard at the end of the game, this was an all-conference player, he had to know that there was no need to give a hard foul in that situation. He may have felt bad about it after the end result, but that doesnt change what he did.

baseballguy

Ido know one thing about this hard foul situation, Hugenerd sees everything through Jimmy B shaded glasses.  Hugenerd was not there, let it go.  You say JB rec'd a technical early, for what?  Maybe turnabout is fair play!  Let it go HG and focus on the conference titles up for grabs this weekend.  We have a great weekend of basketball ahead of us.

Hugenerd

I have no affiliation with Jimmy B.  I only represent my own opinion.

pridefan

You don't know anything about Craig Johnson as a person , you weren't there, you didn't even see it - I enjoy your posts but am disappointed you would play judge and jury.

I'm a Springfield fan so defending CGA / C. Johnson is not personal for me.  Let's be honest....C. Johnson's foot speed is not quite up to JB's and an awkward collision wouldn't surprise me.  Isn't C. Johnson the guy who didn"t play last year because he took a year off to go somewhere on a faith based trip?...doesn't sound to me like a dirty player. Again, not my guy...

As for the below quote - You've never seen somebody get hit or undercut, fall awkwardly, and have their head bounce off the floor?...we've all seen it happen. We just don't know the medical outcome.

Quote from: baseballguy on Yesterday at 03:45:02 pm
I But I have honestly never heard of anyone at any level getting a severe concussion in a basketball game (I have played a lot of basketball, I played in the UAA in undergrad, I was a grad assitant in the NEWMAC for a year, I am a big college and NBA fan), I just cannot fathom how somebody would land "akwardly" and get a severe concussion.   

T990

I was there.  I was surprised CGA was even challenging that shot as it happened.  My focus went to the ref holding his arms crossed above his head (indicating Intentional Foul).  The call was immediate and it seemed before they even came back down and hit the floor.  It made no sense whatsoever.  I suspect it would have been made on any MIT player in that position, not that Jimmy B was a target, but there's no way of knowing.

One team in the NEWMAC this year appeared to me to be physical and attempting to turn it into a wrestling match rather than a BB game, but it was not CGA.

Good luck to the teams on the tournament today.

pridefan

Aw come on T990, don't leave me hanging....which NEWMAC team did you feel was attempting to make it a wrestling match/....