FB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

faunch

Quote from: USTBench on November 11, 2017, 11:26:36 PM
Quote from: D O.C. on November 11, 2017, 07:32:23 PM
QuotePlease elaborate...

I know it's been disgust (yes) here before. Putting 95 points on a team serves no purpose in Division III sports.

A) SJU put 98 on CSS earlier in the year and you didn't say a word, bozo.
B) They were literally using offensive linemen as running backs at the end of the game. Really not much else you can do at that point to call off the dogs.

Please don't get the idea that I'm a defender or apologist for U$T...but games can get out of hand especially in D3. I'm sure the Oles weren't very motivated today and probably had their minds on a season ending party tonight.
I was at the SJU home opener and still can't believe SJU only scored 98. CSS gave up in that game midway through the 2nd quarter and could have lost by 112. However in that game I don't believe that SJU attempted any two point conversions (let alone 3) or ever went for it on fourth down.

I get it...the final touchdown was scored by an o-lineman...a senior..probably one that doesn't play that much. I also get it that Olaf threw 4 interceptions and couldn't get out of their own way or stop a JV team today
But going for it on 4th and 10 from the Olaf  41 up 35-0 in the 3rd quarter? And three 2 pt conversion attempts? I just don't get that.

St. Thomas wasn't letting up
http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-football/news/st-thomas-vs-st-olaf-97-0-college-football-scores-stats-box-score/jrvndl7rj8hr1aqe01fq8pml8
"You would think that in such a mismatched game, St. Thomas would acknowledge how much better it was and take things a bit easy. Nope. St. Thomas went for a two-point conversion three times, and was 5-of-5 on fourth down. St. Thomas knew it was better, and wanted to prove it.
went for a two-point conversion three times, and was 5-of-5 on fourth down. St. Thomas knew it was better, and wanted to prove it."

"I'm a uniter...not a divider."

Pat Coleman

Man. Remember when The Sporting News was a quality publication? Say what you want about the game, but that's bad writing. Deadspin wouldn't hire that guy.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

faunch

Quote from: Pat Coleman on November 12, 2017, 01:07:47 AM
Man. Remember when The Sporting News was a quality publication? Say what you want about the game, but that's bad writing. Deadspin wouldn't hire that guy.
Probably some guy in Russia!

OzJohnnie

I was pretty happy with the outcome for SJU today.  I would have preferred a blowout, of course, but CON came to play and were not going to ever roll over.  It was a steely test and I think we'll be better for it.

With that in mind, a few observations on the game today:

* The defense, obviously, was very impressive.  After adjusting for that first drive and one in the third quarter, it was a shutdown.  The 3 points CON scored were the only points they would have a chance to score.  This D can keep us in any game.

* The offense, despite not cranking on the points, had some impressive outcomes.
  * I can only remember three times that I was frustrated because the O line broke down on assignments.  That's a big improvement from the start of the year and the CON defense was very, very solid.
  * The variety of play calls is welcome development.  We didn't run on first down every time.
  * The balanced play calling led to great run and pass yardage.

Of course, if they had put it in a few more times (I reckon the offense left two, maybe three touchdowns on the field) then that would have been nice.  If the passing had been better that would have been nice (Erdmann had his most down game of the season).  But I'm happy.  I think this team has a chance to beat most teams with a good game and can beat any team with a great game.  I'm looking forward to the post season.

EDIT: Oh, and special teams.  Today they were very special.
[  

retagent

They still need to clean up those penalties that can be called mental errors, or lack of focus mistakes.

There are some smart people on these boards, so I hope someone has the answer (if it matters at all). The PROJECTIONS I've seen all have Linfield ranked higher in the West over St John's. I know that the latest Regional Rankings do also. What specifically is the reason? It seems to me, on, admittedly, a surface level, they are pretty even in the criteria I know. Is it possible that SJU can jump over the Cats in the final determination?  And, would it make a difference in the bracketing?

jamtod

Quote from: retagent on November 12, 2017, 09:16:24 AM
They still need to clean up those penalties that can be called mental errors, or lack of focus mistakes.

There are some smart people on these boards, so I hope someone has the answer (if it matters at all). The PROJECTIONS I've seen all have Linfield ranked higher in the West over St John's. I know that the latest Regional Rankings do also. What specifically is the reason? It seems to me, on, admittedly, a surface level, they are pretty even in the criteria I know. Is it possible that SJU can jump over the Cats in the final determination?  And, would it make a difference in the bracketing?

Two weeks ago, Linfield was on top of Wartburg and St Thomas, so it would be quite a jump, but SJU does add another solid win over Concordia. I'm not sure what actual impact this has on the bracket (if they reflect in any way the projection) one way or the other, with Linfield on the opposite side of the bracket.

Tom Thumb

Freshman Mike Ruggeri started yesterday at right guard. I wonder if he played himself into a starting role or if Gavin Dauwalter is nursing an injury. It will be interesting to see what the O-line looks like heading into the playoffs. They've rotated a lot of guys on the right side of the line looking for the right combination with Elijah Rice, Joey Koppelman, Gavin Daulater, and Michael Greene.

Jacques Perra finished conference play with 1,923 yards passing, 17 TDs, 3 Ints, and a league leading QB rating of 171.5. Not bad for his first year starting.

UST's defense allowed 10.4 rushing yards per game in the MIAC. That has to be some kind of a record.

Looking around D3 yesterday, I was surprised to see John Carroll almost pulled off the upset against Mount Union. That would have shaken things up. Also, the Cru struggled a bit against East Texas Baptist. And Wartburg struggled the first half against Nebraska Wesleyan. Not sure what to make of that. Might have been looking ahead. Time will tell.

I'm excited to see who we end up playing next Saturday. UST is playing well at the right time of the year. UST has a championship caliber defense. And their offense isn't too shabby. Should be an exciting post season.

meadowdale

MUC57

I can't believe the UST score. I know about Caruso and his philosophy but is St. Olaf really that bad?
Could that have been Sister Catherine's School for Wayward Women? Somebody help me out here. Even Mount Union has never scored that many points. Was it a vendetta, revenge or just bad sportsmanship?
Oh, and good luck to the Johnnies!
Go Raiders.
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

DustySJU

Quote from: MUC57 on November 12, 2017, 12:09:50 PM
I can't believe the UST score. I know about Caruso and his philosophy but is St. Olaf really that bad?
Could that have been Sister Catherine's School for Wayward Women? Somebody help me out here. Even Mount Union has never scored that many points. Was it a vendetta, revenge or just bad sportsmanship?
Oh, and good luck to the Johnnies!
Go Raiders.

Caruso makes no excuses for his style. It’s NY in your face and if you don’t like it grab a slice and head to the corner.

The UST/Ole score is inevitable however most of the guys just don’t like Caruso for his relentless use of 4th down attempts and 2 point conversions.

To his credit it does create confusion for Illinois Wesleyan as the prepare for first round matchup.

Developing....
The Official Fan Site For St. John's Football - Underground!  www.JohnnieFootball.com

SUMMIT!!!!!

Quote from: faunch on November 12, 2017, 12:55:29 AM

I get it...the final touchdown was scored by an o-lineman...a senior..probably one that doesn't play that much. I also get it that Olaf threw 4 interceptions and couldn't get out of their own way or stop a JV team today
But going for it on 4th and 10 from the Olaf  41 up 35-0 in the 3rd quarter? And three 2 pt conversion attempts? I just don't get that.

Try getting facts right Faunchy... if the score was 64-0 at half, how could UST be up 34-0 in the 3rd quarter?  I don't see the play you reference anywhere in the box score- using alternative facts?  The play I think you refer to was with 12+ minutes left in 2nd quarter--LOTS of time left yet for a possible Ole comeback. If the Olaf defense wasn't so porous it would have been a 7-8 yard gain at most. Was the receiver supposed to drop down after 9 yards?

Also, the three 2-pt attempts took place in the first 19 minutes of play, hardly indicative of "running it up" or poor sportsmanship.

You sound more & more like Kellyanne Conway these days.   ;D
After the game, the king and pawn go into the same box.

Italian proverb

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

retagent

I looked up "Dick Move" in the dictionary (yes, I still have one) and there were no less than 7 references to Glen Caruso. ;D

faunch

Quote from: miacmaniac on November 12, 2017, 12:40:47 PM
Quote from: faunch on November 12, 2017, 12:55:29 AM

Try getting facts right Faunchy... if the score was 64-0 at half, how could UST be up 34-0 in the 3rd quarter?  I don't see the play you reference anywhere in the box score- using alternative facts?  The play I think you refer to was with 12+ minutes left in 2nd quarter--LOTS of time left yet for a possible Ole comeback. If the Olaf defense wasn't so porous it would have been a 7-8 yard gain at most. Was the receiver supposed to drop down after 9 yards?

Also, the three 2-pt attempts took place in the first 19 minutes of play, hardly indicative of "running it up" or poor sportsmanship.

You sound more & more like Kellyanne Conway these days.   ;D
A. I made a mistake and typed 3rd quarter when it was actually the 2nd. But don't fool yourself into thinking that there was time for an Ole comeback. In that situation U$T would have been better off taking 5 yard delay of game and give the punter a chance to practice his coffin corner kicks. Any chance in the playoff quarters, semifinals or Stagg Bowl that U$T would go for it on 4th and 10 from the opponents 41? Not very likely...with their defense I would try to pin an opponent inside the 5.

B. As for the 2 point attempts...I don't think I ever said anything about running up the score...however this game was over before the opening kick and everybody at the game likely knew that. Going for two three times in the first half just doesn't make sense to me.

C. Some "interesting" comments on the StarTribune site...a few people think U$T and SJU need to leave D3. I tried finding a story about the U$T/Olaf game on the St. Paul Pioneer Press site but surprisingly could not.  :o
http://www.startribune.com/st-thomas-clobbers-st-olaf-97-0/456911273/#comments