Division III football rivalries

Started by K-Mack, June 13, 2007, 01:37:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Top Notch

I'll nominate an ASC game. LC vs ETBU, Battle for the Border Claw.

It's not well known outside of ASC but it means a lot to both teams. Both programs are fairly new so there isn't a long standing history. I think the series is tied at 6-6 with LC winning the last 4.

ADL70

Not historic, but unique, CWRU @ Wooster 10/21, the Baird Brothers Trophy, a fish stringer with a new fish added for each game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baird_Brothers_Trophy

Sadly the CWRU site no longer has the article on the game (althought it is in the media guide).  I really dislike PrestoSports.

Sadly this could be the penultimate year as the NCAC moves to a full round-robin with only one non-conference game in 2013.
SPARTANS...PREPARE FOR GLORY
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO
Think beyond the possible.
Compete, Win, Respect, Unite

K-Mack

Any stories from those games that make it really stand out?

Or are they just games on the schedule with a neat little trophy that goes with it?
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

ADL70

SPARTANS...PREPARE FOR GLORY
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO
Think beyond the possible.
Compete, Win, Respect, Unite

Pat Coleman

Quote from: ADL70 on October 18, 2011, 07:07:10 PM
Not historic, but unique, CWRU @ Wooster 10/21, the Baird Brothers Trophy, a fish stringer with a new fish added for each game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baird_Brothers_Trophy

Sadly the CWRU site no longer has the article on the game (althought it is in the media guide).  I really dislike PrestoSports.

Sadly this could be the penultimate year as the NCAC moves to a full round-robin with only one non-conference game in 2013.

Don't go faulting PrestoSports. Schools can put any content they want to into the system.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

PurpleSuit

All of this talk about rivalries and trophy games makes me think of one match-up in particular.  Its a relatively young rivalry compared to most, but they meet every year and have a pretty neat trophy that is up for grabs.  The rivalry started back in 2002 and has been played each year since, with 2004 being the lone exception.  The trophy was added in 2005 and increased the competitiveness of the rivalry.  There have been too many exciting moments to single just one out.   

Here's a picture of the trophy:
http://concede330.files.wordpress.com/2010/12/trophy.png?w=589&h=335

02 Warhawk

Quote from: PurpleSuit on October 19, 2011, 03:50:34 PM
All of this talk about rivalries and trophy games makes me think of one match-up in particular.  Its a relatively young rivalry compared to most, but they meet every year and have a pretty neat trophy that is up for grabs.  The rivalry started back in 2002 and has been played each year since, with 2004 being the lone exception.  The trophy was added in 2005 and increased the competitiveness of the rivalry.  There have been too many exciting moments to single just one out.   

Damn....I wish I would have read your post BEFORE opening the link. My bad.

jknezek

Quote from: PurpleSuit on October 19, 2011, 03:50:34 PM

Great post. Very funny and a good set up. But I think plenty has been written about that rivalry lately!

K-Mack

That took me a second to figure out. Makes sense. Probably should get added into the project I'm working on.

Although I have heard one side say it has no interest in a regular season game against the other.

Surprised I'm not getting better stories. I guess I need to ask more often. Tweet hard!
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

K-Mack

Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

SUADC

As a proud Alumnus of Salisbury University, the "Regents Cup" game between two outstanding Universities from the state of Maryland, Salisbury University & Frostburg State has always been intense, regardless of the score or outcomes. I had the opportunity of playing in four games. I recorded my first collegiate interception against FSU my freshmen year and my last collegiate interception my senior year. This game has always had that big rivalry atmosphere and on many occasions had some type of playoff implication, either as a playoff berth or playoff seed. I can recall my coach telling me during my sophomore season when we were playoff bound, do not overlook Frostburg (it is a rivalry game for goodness sake), they have kept us from reaching the playoffs before (e.g. 2003) and prevented us from having a home playoff game (e.g. 2002). Each school basically recruits the same players; especially from the DMV area, each recruit basically decides either to go west into the cold mountains of western Maryland or go east to the beaches of the eastern shore of Maryland (I chose the ladder). Nevertheless, I am proud of each University and their perspective programs and only wish the best for each team this upcoming Saturday. I will be watching via internet. Above all the hype and intensity of the game and my obsession of bleeding "Maroon & Gold," my prayers go out to the Frostburg nation and the Family & Friends of Derek Sheely, who tragically lost his life early in the season due to head trauma. God Bless!

DanPadavona

Being close to the Cortaca Jug rivalry for 25 years or so has been very special. It is a game I look forward to with great anticipation every season, and it rarely disappoints.

The Keystone Cup between Widener-DV has the most on the line in the East this season. They may in fact be the two best teams in Eastern Region in 2011.

Though it hasn't earned a name yet, I think there is a real, developing rivalry taking place between Kean and Montclair. Two very good teams separated by 15 or 20 miles on the map. Overlapping recruited players. Perennial contenders for the NJAC championship for the past several years. And to add to the intrigue, the head coach of Kean and 2 assistants played at Montclair.
Justin Bieber created 666 false D3 identities to give me negative karma.

meadowdale

Being there are so many teams all over the country , was hoping everyone could throw there 2 cents in !!!

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.