MBB: NEWMAC

Started by nehoops4life, March 03, 2005, 10:39:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

d3bballinboston

they do have 10 members. it is funny how everyone thinks that leagues are changed because of Men's Basketball.  I doubt if the NEWMAC expands that MBB is even one of the factors.  The NEWMAC is all about academics and larger endowments.  MBB is not even on the rador screen.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

It's not just men's basketball, it's all men's sports.  I get a little annoyed (sometimes at myself) when people think it all revolves around men's basketball, but when there are only seven teams playing men's sports in the league, it would make sense to add another school.  Although that would put the women at 11.  Do you think Wellsley, Smith or Holyoke will be admitting men anytime soon? (Clearly sarcastic).
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

clarkie

I hate seeing the NEWMAC on the bottom of the posting boards--it makes it look like nobody cares...

So who has any good NEWMAC news or gossip? Any word on my Clark Cougars?

jpf5911

Is there a published schedule anywhere for NEWMAC Men's basketball for the 2007-2008 season?

How about previews and predictions?

Thanks,

JPF

jpf5911

I'll be a fan of Newmac basketball for the first time in the upcoming 07-08 season. 

Unfortunately, I'm on the west coast.  Is there any TV coverage available, perhaps on the internet or pay per view cable or something?

I'll be rooting for MIT and it looks like they have some strong players returning.  What do you guys think their prospects are?

Thanks,

JPF

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: jpf5911 on August 06, 2007, 07:35:14 PMI'll be rooting for MIT and it looks like they have some strong players returning.  What do you guys think their prospects are?

Usually pretty good, but they haven't lived up to expectations in recent years.

hugenerd

Quote from: Hoops Fan on August 06, 2007, 08:24:47 PM
Quote from: jpf5911 on August 06, 2007, 07:35:14 PMI'll be rooting for MIT and it looks like they have some strong players returning.  What do you guys think their prospects are?

Usually pretty good, but they haven't lived up to expectations in recent years.

Expectations?  Two years ago MIT set a school record for wins (21) and was one game away from the NCAAs (they finished 2nd in the regular season and in the NEWMAC tourney to WPI ).  Last year they literally had 7 players for most of the season (they lost players every possible way, injury/quitting before season/ study abroad/ and one player even left the team for an internship).  They still had a winning record despite all of that.

This year MIT should be much improved.  I havent heard about their recruiting class, but their returning starters should be solid.  They will be anchored by Jimmy Bartollota at the small forward (or shooting guard) position (he is coming off a season where he was top 10 in the NEWMAC in nearly every offensive and defensive category).  They will be getting Dou Soumare back from study abroad (he was a big part of their success two years ago) who will most likely start at the 5.  At the 4 will most likely be Eric Bracht who was NEWMAC frosh of the year last year.  I expect the starting point guard will be Brad Gampel who missed most of last year with injury (he will be backed up by Patrick Sissman).  The last spot is between Will Mroz (out second half of last year with an intership) and Billy Johnson (out most of the year with an injury last year).  They could move Jimmy to the 2 and put Billy in at the 3 which would give them alot of size and some matchup problems for other teams, or they could go with Will at the 2 and play a more traditional line up.  I personally like the lineup with Billy, in that case you have 6'4", 6'8", 6'5", and 6'8" and all of those guys can run.

Pat Coleman

hugenerd -- I don't think Hoops Fan likes anyone in the NEWMAC. It's not the CCC, after all.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

hugenerd

I understand that.

I was just trying to convery that two years ago they exceeded expectations and I dont know who had high expectations for them last year since they had less than 10 players.  That is why I didnt understand the comment about not living up to expectations. 

As for this year, I think they should be able to compete for the NEWMAC title like they did 2 years ago (barring a mass exodus of players like last year).  Im probably alone on that opinion but I guess we will see in a few months.

Pat Coleman

I think his comment, truly, is borne out of a CCC inferiority complex rather than actual facts. I wouldn't worry about it. You've already debunked it. :)
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

I guess my expectations were too high.  I didn't realize that the recent years have been among their best.  I'll chock it up to ignorance on my part, if you'll allow me.  I've just expected even more from them over the past two years, based on the talent.  In actuality, their results have been impressive, I'm sure they will be right in it again this season.

jpf5911

What about video coverage of Newmac games?

Is there anything available on the internet or pay per view?

Thanks,

atn alum

I do audiocasts of coast guard basketball- about 15 games per year for each gender...also have done the newmac men's final the last 2 yrs, and did the newmac semis and finals for both genders last yr.

I know MIT was experimenting with HD videocasts last yr, with plans to implement in the future. Couple other schools were looking into audiocasts for next yr.

Hugenerd- does this mean we can officially squash the Bartolotta to Williams rumor that we'd heard previously?...would like to put a stamp on that as "NOT" if he's still at MIT.

interestedfan

Good Morning All,

I have recently moved back to the Worcester area and enjoy college basketball.  I have been looking at the success that WPI has enjoyed the past few years.  It seems that Coach Bartley has done a tremendous job with this program.

Since recruiting players is the key to sustaining this level of play, I was interested in any information people here could offer up on their incoming recruitment class and the players they are looking at pulling in next year.

hugenerd

Quote from: atnwriter on August 20, 2007, 08:38:56 PM
I do audiocasts of coast guard basketball- about 15 games per year for each gender...also have done the newmac men's final the last 2 yrs, and did the newmac semis and finals for both genders last yr.

I know MIT was experimenting with HD videocasts last yr, with plans to implement in the future. Couple other schools were looking into audiocasts for next yr.

Hugenerd- does this mean we can officially squash the Bartolotta to Williams rumor that we'd heard previously?...would like to put a stamp on that as "NOT" if he's still at MIT.

You can watch the MIT games on TV ....if you live on campus.   

I hadnt heard any rumors about Bartolotta going anywhere.    I am 99.9% sure he will be at MIT this coming year, but I can look into it if you are serious about that rumor.