FB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HSC85

Randolph Macon has clearly been the most impressive team in the ODAC this season.  However, I did an unscientific comparison on relative strength of schedule so far and it is interesting:

Combined record of RMC opponents - 14 -20
Combined record of HSC opponents - 17- 14

While admitting that I am biased, I would suggest that there are at least two pretty strong teams in the ODAC. 

And for one poster to suggest that a win at Bridgewater is not a big deal.  I would remind them that HSC has only won 2 times at Bridgewater this decade.  Bridgewater is a very tough team that plays excellent at home in front of a great crowd.  Any win at Bridgewater is earned and is a big deal.

Jacketlawyer

Quote from: hasanova on October 10, 2010, 10:03:05 AM
Guilford loses 36-21 at SVU and drops to 0-5.  It's the Knights' first ever win over the Quakers.  Well, enough about that ... has anyone mentioned that basketball practice starts Oct. 15?

Hasa when I read this I had to laugh; be of good cheer!  ;DYes, hoops season is coming soon, but I feel your pain.  I stuck with RMC through the dreadful period from 2001-2006.  I don't think the Quakes will be in the cellar that long.  Hang in there! ;)
" and do as adversaries do in law, strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends." -The Taming of the Shrew

allsky7

Quote from: HSC85 on October 10, 2010, 12:27:58 PM
Randolph Macon has clearly been the most impressive team in the ODAC this season.  However, I did an unscientific comparison on relative strength of schedule so far and it is interesting:

While admitting that I am biased, I would suggest that there are at least two pretty strong teams in the ODAC. 

And for one poster to suggest that a win at Bridgewater is not a big deal.  I would remind them that HSC has only won 2 times at Bridgewater this decade.  Bridgewater is a very tough team that plays excellent at home in front of a great crowd.  Any win at Bridgewater is earned and is a big deal.

I concur!!! How was that for a profound first post in months?  ;D  Any win is big.....especially on the road. GO TIGERS!!!

hasanova

Quote from: Jacketlawyer on October 11, 2010, 09:05:35 AM
Quote from: hasanova on October 10, 2010, 10:03:05 AM
Guilford loses 36-21 at SVU and drops to 0-5.  It's the Knights' first ever win over the Quakers.  Well, enough about that ... has anyone mentioned that basketball practice starts Oct. 15?

Hasa when I read this I had to laugh; be of good cheer!  ;DYes, hoops season is coming soon, but I feel your pain.  I stuck with RMC through the dreadful period from 2001-2006.  I don't think the Quakes will be in the cellar that long.  Hang in there! ;)
Hey, Jacketlawyer - good to hear from you.  Yeah, it was an attempt at a bit of tongue-in-cheek humor.  What else can you say?  I didn't have inflated hopes for this season, but it's worse than I expected.  I keep hoping we'll win a few, but we may very well be looking at 1-9 or 0-10.  I know the tougher teams are still to come.

Football definitely goes in cycles, but Guilford's valleys are far too frequent.  We still need to get you to Greensboro for a basketball game between the Quakers and the Jackets!

78rmc

Quote from: HSC85 on October 10, 2010, 12:27:58 PM

Admittedly, SOS is important, but RMC's winning margins against those teams is equally impressive as RMC is averaging almost 46 points/game. 

rmc1982

I must pipe in here and say that I concur with my illustrious colleague!! We are a virtual scoring machine, and it almost seems at times that Pedro holds them back a little.......He was visually and noticably PISSED at times on saturday because of what he described as "sloppy" play by the Jackets,even when they were up 35-0! I'm certainly not taking anything away from our rivals in Farmville,either.They have seemed at times, when I have watched them on the H-SC network, to be able to score at will on people! Marty Favret is an offensive genius and a riverboat gambler who never seems to be bothered taking chances at any time or at any place on the field. They have seemed to be at times toying with opponents, simply because Marty knew he could score any time he wanted to.Their defense, which at times has SEEMED suspect, always seems to rise to the occasion when they need it to.We have to play a VERY GOOD W & L team this weekend on the road,also, and we have Bridgewater at home the week before the H-SC game.IF(and its a BIG if)we can run the table and H-SC can run the table the rest of the season it will set up the BIGGEST meeting in an already heated(to say the VERY least)rivalry! If that were to happen, I wouldn't be surprised to see TWO ODAC teams in the playoffs,with the winner of the big game getting a home game the first weekend!
"We're completely surrounded-Excellent!...Now we can attack in any direction!'....Chesty Puller, USMC

HSC85

I agree with you rmc1982 that RMC has by far been the most impressive team in the ODAC so far this year.  W&L certainly opened some eyes on Saturday.  Either Emory and Henry is not the great team that RMC beat last week or W&L is a stronger team than most people thought they would be. 

I just get tired of hearing the people on D3football.com continue to belittle everything HSC does.  The game on Saturday was not viewed as a good win against a good team on the road, it was referred to as "well Hampden Sydney hung on for another win."  I know that there is alumni eyes looking at some of these games but when there are two teams that are undefeated and winning games against good opponents please give both teams credit for thier accomplishments instead of trying to put down one to boost the other. 

I certainly would love to see two ODAC teams in the playoffs.  Based on how the folks at D3football view the ODAC I don't see that happening.  The great thing about D III football is that every team has a chance to control their own destiny.  At the end of the season, the teams that win their conference get to go to the playoffs. That is all that we can ask for. 

wasper68

Quote from: HSC85 on October 11, 2010, 05:57:27 PM
I agree with you rmc1982 that RMC has by far been the most impressive team in the ODAC so far this year.  W&L certainly opened some eyes on Saturday.  Either Emory and Henry is not the great team that RMC beat last week or W&L is a stronger team than most people thought they would be. 

I just get tired of hearing the people on D3football.com continue to belittle everything HSC does.  The game on Saturday was not viewed as a good win against a good team on the road, it was referred to as "well Hampden Sydney hung on for another win."  I know that there is alumni eyes looking at some of these games but when there are two teams that are undefeated and winning games against good opponents please give both teams credit for thier accomplishments instead of trying to put down one to boost the other. 

I certainly would love to see two ODAC teams in the playoffs.  Based on how the folks at D3football view the ODAC I don't see that happening.  The great thing about D III football is that every team has a chance to control their own destiny.  At the end of the season, the teams that win their conference get to go to the playoffs. That is all that we can ask for. 

W&L is definitely stonger that expected.  Abell is doing a great job with their offense and their defense makes plays as needed.  Emory had way too many TO's, mistakes and injuries to win the game on Saturday against anyone especially a strong team like W&L.  Should be a great game in Lexington on Saturday. 

Ryan Tipps

Quote from: HSC85 on October 11, 2010, 05:57:27 PM
I certainly would love to see two ODAC teams in the playoffs.  Based on how the folks at D3football view the ODAC I don't see that happening. 

I can just speak for myself, not anyone else in the D3f "front office" :) but I made a post two or three pages back where I said that I think a 9-1 ODAC team has a good shot at getting in the postseason as a Pool C. I also noted (again apologizing to H-SC fans) that the best chance for that to happen would be for H-SC to lose to R-MC in The Game. I say that because the Tigers have a much tougher nonconference schedule than Macon does and will look a lot better as a Pool C candidate than Macon would.

Sydney has wins against at least two teams that should be no worse than 8-2 (Salisbury and Averett) and they have a win against N.C. Wesleyan, which could also be a solid 7-3 or 8-2 this year. That will look great on a SOS resume.

Plus, the way this conference has cleaned up in its nonconference games, that will make wins against your own conference opponents look that much more impressive as a whole. :)
D3football.com Senior Editor and Around the Nation columnist. On Twitter: @NewsTipps

2.7 seconds. An average football player may need more time to score; a great one finds a way. I've seen greatness happen.

abnrgr

TIPPS

GC-Q has to hurt a pool C bid. If they were just a little stronger. They are not losing on a blown special or OT. They are getting busted up. Would be nice to see 2 in there however....

I do feel Hasa's pain even from here..... :-\
Never shall I leave a fallen comrade

Ryan Tipps

Quote from: abnrgr on October 12, 2010, 01:34:29 PM
TIPPS

GC-Q has to hurt a pool C bid. If they were just a little stronger. They are not losing on a blown special or OT. They are getting busted up. Would be nice to see 2 in there however....

True, but even the big dogs of OAC, WIAC, MIAC and ASC have either one-win or no-win (or both) teams among them. It just gets bad when there's a bevy of such teams in one's conference.

The fact that the non-Guilford teams went 17-4 against Div-III opponents says a lot of the conference.  :)
D3football.com Senior Editor and Around the Nation columnist. On Twitter: @NewsTipps

2.7 seconds. An average football player may need more time to score; a great one finds a way. I've seen greatness happen.

Pat Coleman

And says a lot about the opponents.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Ryan Tipps

Annually, finding four nonconference games isn't ever going to be an easy task. :)

Pat Coleman

No doubt but taking the USAC out behind the proverbial woodshed tells us the ODAC is better than the USAC this year. Doesn't tell us too much beyond that.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Ryan Tipps

But the wins are on the level that we'd expect to see from a conference that is good. That can be a gauge. I mean, we seem to draw a lot of conclusions (and faith) from a conference that whips up on the likes of 0-5 Husson, 1-5 Alma, 0-5 Thiel, 2-3 Defiance and 0-5 River Falls, don't we?