MBB: Coast 2 Coast Athletic Conference

Started by Mr. Ypsi, March 27, 2005, 10:16:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DCAbloob

Quote from: jmcozenlaw on May 26, 2020, 12:23:52 PM
Quote from: DCAbloob on May 26, 2020, 12:16:16 PM
The remaining ACAA schools are coming into the CAC to create a national conference which will be renamed.
https://cacsports.com/general/2019-20/releases/20200420cw0nca

The eastern schools will continue to look for alternatives as time goes on. This conference is a "mess" (lovingly stated, of course)

The merged CAC is the definition of an alliance of convenience but a necessary one until if/when alternatives become available. The move to Massey ratings for tournament seedings in the CAC, so the former ACAA & CAC teams don't have to play each other in regular season, could become an eventual model for non-revenue sports across all NCAA divisions. The ACAA schools already weren't required to play each other of course.

CNU85

Important things first -- Once the seasons start, where will I find the chat boards? Which region?
  ;D ;D ;D

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I suspect we will leave it right here in the Mid-Atlantic ...

But those of you who listen/watch Hoopsville shouldn't have been surprised by this news.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

CNU85

Nope. Nobody was surprised. I don't think anyone working on this was trying to keep anything secret. Everyone knew when meetings were held, what schools were being considered, etc. There was no attempt by anyone involved to keep this a secret. It's been in the press since mid December and you reported on it in January. So everyone was on top of the story.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: CNU85 on May 27, 2020, 08:44:37 AM
Nope. Nobody was surprised. I don't think anyone working on this was trying to keep anything secret. Everyone knew when meetings were held, what schools were being considered, etc. There was no attempt by anyone involved to keep this a secret. It's been in the press since mid December and you reported on it in January. So everyone was on top of the story.

I don't necessarily agree. The report in December didn't name schools or the ACAA. And when I went around trying to get sources about the meeting at the NCAA Convention in January ... I met very few who would even talk off the record.

While they may not have been denying things ... they also weren't exactly being open about it.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

ronk

Quote from: DCAbloob on May 26, 2020, 12:16:16 PM
The remaining ACAA schools are coming into the CAC to create a national conference which will be renamed.
https://cacsports.com/general/2019-20/releases/20200420cw0nca

This resembles a question posed on the bumbling Bs chat years ago when a newly-formed conference(Landmark) was not granted an AQ until 2 years had passed; the reason - to keep schools from hopping around just for improved post-season opportunity. Doesn't appear to have achieved that purpose.

Multi-Regional Topics / Re: Bumblin' B's
« Message by Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on March 03, 2009, 10:07:53 pm »
Quote from: ronk on March 03, 2009, 10:03:03 pm
  Here's a Pool B question from a different angle:
     Why's the Landmark placed in Pool B in the 1st place? Al least half of the schools have been in D3 from the beginning of D3? What's the NCAA trying to achieve/avoid with this policy?

The NCAA wants to make sure the conference is solid before giving them an AQ.  You wouldn't want schools hopping from conference to conference simply for a better chance at the post-season.

Not that those scenarios are that likely, but you know someone would push the envelope if it was available.

gordonmann

It's not clear to me what benefit the ACAA members get from this, beyond they technically have access to AQs.

That's not an immediate benefit to Pratt, which is just entering the first year of the four-year process now. That's not a benefit to Pine Manor who's going away entirely in a year.  I don't know about other sports, but that's not a meaningful benefit for Mills, Finlandia or Mount Mary in basketball because they either don't have the sport or aren't competitive in it.

Other than the very occasional UC Santa Cruz team who has been good enough to compete a Pool B bid, do these schools have a lot of teams that are missing NCAA playoffs in other sports but arguably good enough in them to compete if they could just get access? How much of a recruiting tool is it if you have access to a bid that you have very little chance of earning?

The other reasons that apply to conference membership -- ease of scheduling, travel to markets where you want to promote your school,  working with like-minded institutions -- don't apply to this move.  Finlandia's quote cites the benefit of "increasing the recruiting region for their programs." So Finlandia will now recruit more students from the Virginia Beach, Delmarva or Washington DC markets because a couple teams play in that area on a random basis once or twice a year? How will sending their women's hoops team to  Virginia Beach so they can lose by 45 in the first round of a four-team tournament help recruiting more than, say, spending money on a billboard would?

In some cases, I think the merger will give the ACAA members less access to the benefits of conference membership. One of Thomas More's reasons for joining the ACAA was it would allow their players to be eligible for all-conference honors. So all those awards went to Madison Temple or another TMC player for that season, instead of the traditional ACAA members. Similarly merging with the CAC just makes it less likely that those awards will go to ACAA members.

Mathematically, having more conference members, a cluster of which are within driving distance of each other, will make it less likely that the ACAA members will host postseason events, right?

CNU85

Quote from: gordonmann on May 28, 2020, 12:59:27 PM
It's not clear to me what benefit the ACAA members get from this, beyond they technically have access to AQs.

That's not an immediate benefit to Pratt, which is just entering the first year of the four-year process now. That's not a benefit to Pine Manor who's going away entirely in a year.  I don't know about other sports, but that's not a meaningful benefit for Mills, Finlandia or Mount Mary in basketball because they either don't have the sport or aren't competitive in it.

Other than the very occasional UC Santa Cruz team who has been good enough to compete a Pool B bid, do these schools have a lot of teams that are missing NCAA playoffs in other sports but arguably good enough in them to compete if they could just get access? How much of a recruiting tool is it if you have access to a bid that you have very little chance of earning?

The other reasons that apply to conference membership -- ease of scheduling, travel to markets where you want to promote your school,  working with like-minded institutions -- don't apply to this move.  Finlandia's quote cites the benefit of "increasing the recruiting region for their programs." So Finlandia will now recruit more students from the Virginia Beach, Delmarva or Washington DC markets because a couple teams play in that area on a random basis once or twice a year? How will sending their women's hoops team to  Virginia Beach so they can lose by 45 in the first round of a four-team tournament help recruiting more than, say, spending money on a billboard would?

In some cases, I think the merger will give the ACAA members less access to the benefits of conference membership. One of Thomas More's reasons for joining the ACAA was it would allow their players to be eligible for all-conference honors. So all those awards went to Madison Temple or another TMC player for that season, instead of the traditional ACAA members. Similarly merging with the CAC just makes it less likely that those awards will go to ACAA members.

Mathematically, having more conference members, a cluster of which are within driving distance of each other, will make it less likely that the ACAA members will host postseason events, right?

Interesting comments. I wonder some of the same things. I know they have talked about making sure post season tournaments are spread out as much as possible.

and btw -- who the heck is in Va Beach?  ;D

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

I have always been under the impression the ACAA was created to try and earn an AQ for teams actively seeking residence in other conferences.  It was created during a time when there was no Pool B bid (at least for men's basketball) and this was hurting recruiting at these schools - with no real chance at post-season play.  At the same time, coaches I spoke with were well aware that as soon as their school found another place to go, they would.

The only problem with that model is that the ACAA never got to a level where they qualified for an AQ - this merger provides them that access.

It's super unlikely one of the ACAA teams beat CNU in a basketball tournament, but the possibility exists - plus, I imagine, all these ACAA schools will continue to actively seeks better conferences fits moving forward.

It's messy, for sure, but I do see why everybody is on board with the plan for now.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: gordonmann on May 28, 2020, 12:59:27 PM

Gordon, I agree................and also agree with Ryan's post as well.

It almost looks like it was a lifeline thrown to the remaining few CAC teams, until they find a better option. When and where are the better options for the currently remaining CAC teams?

gordonmann

QuoteAnd btw -- who the heck is in Va Beach?  ;D

Shoot, I thought that's where CNU is. Should've said Newport News.

ronk

Quote from: gordonmann on May 28, 2020, 04:56:59 PM
QuoteAnd btw -- who the heck is in Va Beach?  ;D

Shoot, I thought that's where CNU is. Should've said Newport News.

You may have been thinking of Va. Wesleyan(site of the women's final 4-2005) which is in Va. Beach.

gordonmann

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The off season has hit August and with it has come news of Division III Fall Championships being canceled for the same reason Winter Championships were derailed and Spring Championships pulled earlier this year: COVID 19 Pandemic.

The decision came on the heals of a vast majority of DIII institutions curtailing fall sports and many pushing winter sports starts on their campuses until January at the earliest.

What does this mean for the 2020-21 season of college basketball? Specifically what does it mean for Division III? Will there be a basketball season? Will it be a six-week-or-so-sprint? Or is there a way to adjust things?

On the Mid-Summer edition of the Hoopsville Podcast, we try and get some answers to those questions. We talk to one coach who actually has put together a proposal to start the season in January, with some changes to make it work including crowning a champion in April. And we talk to an administrator who also serves on the DIII Management Council to better under stand the decisions made to cancel championships and if shift a season like basketball is even possible.

Plus, we honor the best of the best in the last decade of Division III women's basketball. Gordon Mann joins us to discuss how the 2nd D3hoops.com Women's All-Decade came together (and hints of work on the men's list).

Guests include:
- Philip Ponder, Oglethorpe men's coach
- Jason Fein, Bates Athletics Director and DIII Management Council member
- Gordon Mann, D3hoops.com Senior Editor

And of course, there is always the Hoopsville Notebook. A few things we take note of that have made headlines since the beginning of July. We also tip our hat to a few of those who have always helped the show be it's best.

You can listen to the podcast here: https://bit.ly/3kGZ962

Hoopsville broadcasts from the WBCA/NABC Studio. All guests are featured on the BlueFrame Technology Hoopsville Hotline. The offseason plan is to do a podcast each month. The shows will be audio-only leading up to the start of the 2020-21 when we will restart the video shows.

If you have questions, ideas, or want to interact with the show, feel free to send them to hoopsville@d3sports.com or use any of the social media options available.

If you enjoy the show via the podcasts, choose your favorite avenue to listen and/or subscribe via the the following four avenues (click on the images when necessary):
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville

We also have the podcast now on Tune-In and others coming. We will update them once we have better abilities to do so.

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3sports.com
Hoopsville Season Archive: www.team1sports.com/Hoopsville
YouTube: www.youtube.com/d3hoopsville