Lacrosse

Started by drisclaw, July 03, 2011, 09:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amh63

Thanks Vandy for the correction and info.  Interesting item on the Stringing rule change.  Others seem more like rules to make the game like ice hockey...to me.  In the Nescac, it seems the men's game is getting to be more high scoring affairs...with the women's game not far behind.
Will be interested to hear your HLC family member opinion on the skill level of today's players compared to say 10-15 years ago...recruiting wise.    Pointed out that the Skirt uniform is gone...to my wife who remembers them.

madzillagd

Well it was fun while it lasted. Niece is meeting with a surgeon to look at her thumb which she injured a couple weeks ago so the lacrosse season is over a few games early. Ironically, her brother also broke his hand playing this week and he's meeting with a surgeon as well. I may have to suggest they find a different sport.

Vandy74

Quote from: madzillagd on April 09, 2014, 10:30:47 AM
Well it was fun while it lasted. Niece is meeting with a surgeon to look at her thumb which she injured a couple weeks ago so the lacrosse season is over a few games early. Ironically, her brother also broke his hand playing this week and he's meeting with a surgeon as well. I may have to suggest they find a different sport.

That's a shame.  I hope it doesn't dampen her enthusiasm for the game.  Too bad about your nephew as well but since the men's game is legitimately a contact sport his injury is less surprising.  You never said but did your niece play in h.s. or simply know how to play from her brother's experience.  I knew ABSOLUTELY nothing about the sport 10 years ago.  Now it is second only to basketball on my list of favorite sports to watch.  Good luck to both young people in their future athletic endeavors.

madzillagd

Vandy - She did not play in hs.  They put out an open call for players and she always enjoyed watching her brother so she decided to join.   Nephew hasn't decided on where he is going to school yet.  He's leaning toward a couple CA schools (including my alma mater CLU) but neither have programs.  However, a few NWC schools are still in the running and wouldn't be surprised if he decided to play if he stays up north. 

Vandy74

Middlebury lost to Cortland State 12-10 this afternoon in a battle that was everything #5 vs #2 should be.  Middlebury was without their captain and star defensive player Hannah Deoul who suffered an injury in practice during the week.  Her replacement Allie Hooley was doing a fine job until she also went down in the 2nd half.  Her injury looked serious.  I don't know what Deoul's injury status is.  No excuses though.  Cortland is one of the best teams I've seen in quite a while.  Great team speed.  Tenacious defense and aggressive all over the field and some great play in goal.  Hopefully a post season rematch can be arranged.

Vandy74

I finally remembered to watch a lacrosse game on the computer that didn't involve Middlebury.  Unfortunately it was the same night as the UConn-Notre Dame women's basketball championship game so I only saw the first half of North Central-Carthage.  That too was everything to be expected with NC coming out on top 17-16.  I thought the Cardinals had taken control with an 11-6 halftime lead but Carthage came back strong.  I wish I had seen it.  Two very potent and balanced offensive attacks.  Neither team as strong defensively it seems as last year's squads.  It looks like once again it will come down to a real battle between these two along with Augustana and an improved Concordia-(Wis) to claim the MWLC NCAA bid.  Next season the CCIW begins sponsoring lacrosse with three very strong programs as a nucleus.  It's very impressive the level of play these teams have developed in such a short time.  It shouldn't be long before they will be able to compete with anybody.  Possibly by the time this year's freshmen are seniors.     

amh63

Senior day game played on Pratt field...Amherst versus Tufts.  after a tough first half that Amherst finally took a lead 8-6 at the half...Amherst wins its 11th game...15-9.  It is Amherst best start since 2000, when they won 10 straight.

Meanwhile the men's' team is getting bombed in Melford..20-9 when I changed sports online. Tufts seem to be the team to beat this year.

Vandy74

Tough loss to Trinity for the Panthers this afternoon.  Middlebury went down by the same 10-9 score they loss to the Bantams one day shy of a year ago.  In fact, Middlebury has lost 8 straight to Trinity winning last in the 2009 season. (Shades of Amherst-Colby)  6 of those losses have been by a single goal.  I watched the game today with the father of the Trinity HC who is a high school classmate and lifelong friend, as is the mother.  She is also a Midd alum and they admit to having mixed feelings watching these contests regardless of who wins.  Amh63, I've mentioned before that Trinity's coach played on Middlebury's 2001 and 2002 national champions.  It was the Panther squad her senior year that lost the title game to Amherst 11-9.  That loss ended a 51 consecutive game winning streak.  Nobody in the family feels badly when the Lady Jeffs lose. ;D ;)

The Middlebury men defeated their Trinity counterparts 15-4 improving their NESCAC record to 5-3 after an 0-3 start.  Amh63 I believe that Tufts has been the team to beat in the conference for several years.  They trounced the Panthers in the season opener 24-6.

Vandy74

For any fans of D3 women's lax out there or even the curious (who for some strange reason happen to read this board) here is a list of some of the best games coming up.  All times listed are local.  The school site where the video feed link can be found is listed first.

North Central:  April 15, vs. Concordia (Wis.) 7:00 p.m.
                      April 22, vs. Augustana  7:00 p.m.

Wittenberg:  April 18, vs. Denison  7:00 p.m.
                  April 27, vs. Carthage  1:00 p.m.

Pomona-Pitzer  April 19, vs. Redlands  7:00 p.m.

Cortland State  April 20, vs Salisbury 12 noon  This one is #1 vs #2 folks.

Trinity  April 23, vs Amherst  7:00 p.m.

Each of these games are between teams that could earn post season NCAA berths.

amh63

Amherst wins on the road against Springfield and remains unbeaten...8-2.   Men's team meets Williams today....maybe take that game on-line and throw it up on my flat screen TV..if I remember the process :)

amh63

Amherst beats Williams in both Men and women contest.  Last night on Pratt field on senior day, the men won handily over the Ephs.
This afternoon up in Willy Town, the Women remain unbeaten with a 13-6  win over Williams.  Williams came out strong and took a three goal lead early.  Amherst a tied it at 5 all as the first half ended.  Williams scored first in the 2nd half but the Lady Jeff's scored the next 8 goals. 
OK Vandy...Amherst soften the Ephs for the Panthers.  Your team needs to bounce back from the Colby game and beat Williams.  Will it help Middlebury in the conference tourny...seeding?

Vandy74

Quote from: amh63 on April 19, 2014, 05:46:53 PM
Amherst beats Williams in both Men and women contest.  Last night on Pratt field on senior day, the men won handily over the Ephs.
This afternoon up in Willy Town, the Women remain unbeaten with a 13-6  win over Williams.  Williams came out strong and took a three goal lead early.  Amherst a tied it at 5 all as the first half ended.  Williams scored first in the 2nd half but the Lady Jeff's scored the next 8 goals. 
OK Vandy...Amherst soften the Ephs for the Panthers.  Your team needs to bounce back from the Colby game and beat Williams.  Will it help Middlebury in the conference tourny...seeding?

Congrats to the Jeffs, Lords and Ladies.  Nothing more satisfying for you, I know, than a beat down of the Ephs.  The Middlebury women's season that began so successfully has certainly lost it's momentum.  With losses to Amherst, Trinity and Colby I don't really know if a win over Williams alone is enough to secure a top 4 seed for the NESCAC tourney.  The Panthers are having the same problems that the men's basketball team faced all season.  Injuries and illness.  Today a key offensive player was out with pneumonia.  She was just coming down with it when she missed the Trinity game.  I don't know if she can be expected to play against Williams.  Another player was playing today with strep throat.  Again, her status for a game four days away is unknown to me.  Also Middlebury used their 2nd string goalie because the starter has back problems.  This is a team that when healthy easily handled #4, at the time, Franklin & Marshall 14-5 on the road just 3 weeks ago.  It's hard to know what to expect from here. 

amh63

Amherst loses its first game at Trinity 7-4 last night.  They become the 2nd seed in the conference tournament that start this weekend.  They will meet Bowdoin, the 7th seed.  Hoping that Amherst will start another long winning street :)....into the post season.
Congrats to Middlebury in its win...over Williams.  It was an impact win....where the Panthers are seeded is the question.http://www.d3boards.com/Smileys/classic/smiley.gif

Vandy74

Quote from: amh63 on April 24, 2014, 09:09:06 AM
Amherst loses its first game at Trinity 7-4 last night.  They become the 2nd seed in the conference tournament that start this weekend.  They will meet Bowdoin, the 7th seed.  Hoping that Amherst will start another long winning street :)....into the post season.
Congrats to Middlebury in its win...over Williams.  It was an impact win....where the Panthers are seeded is the question.http://www.d3boards.com/Smileys/classic/smiley.gif

Amh63.....let the games begin. ;D ;)  Middlebury seems to be back and healthy and Williams paid the price on Wednesday.  A rematch with Colby, who beat a Middlebury team forced to use their 2nd string goalie, is the quarter-finals opponent.  1st stringer Alyssa Palomba had a career game against the Ephs with 8 saves against 12 shots on goal.  Chrissy Ritter played somewhat sparingly but hopefully will be fully recovered from her bout with pneumonia come Saturday. 

Trinity gets a rematch with the Bates team that upset them early in the season.  Bates is not a team to take lightly.  Three of their NESCAC losses (Middlebury, Williams and Bowdoin) were by a single goal.  No team scored more than 7 in any of those games.  They play serious defense.  Their Associate Coach is Heidi (Howard) Allen, wife of the HC.  Heidi was a 3 time All-American at Middlebury in both field hockey and lacrosse.  She played on 3 national champions in the two sports combined and was the National Player of the year in Lacrosse in 1999. 

Until proven otherwise, Cortland is the team to beat at the big party.

magicman

Quote from: Vandy74 on April 11, 2014, 02:36:37 AM
I finally remembered to watch a lacrosse game on the computer that didn't involve Middlebury.  Unfortunately it was the same night as the UConn-Notre Dame women's basketball championship game so I only saw the first half of North Central-Carthage.  That too was everything to be expected with NC coming out on top 17-16.  I thought the Cardinals had taken control with an 11-6 halftime lead but Carthage came back strong.  I wish I had seen it.  Two very potent and balanced offensive attacks.  Neither team as strong defensively it seems as last year's squads.  It looks like once again it will come down to a real battle between these two along with Augustana and an improved Concordia-(Wis) to claim the MWLC NCAA bid.  Next season the CCIW begins sponsoring lacrosse with three very strong programs as a nucleus.  It's very impressive the level of play these teams have developed in such a short time.  It shouldn't be long before they will be able to compete with anybody.  Possibly by the time this year's freshmen are seniors.   

Hey Vandy,
Not sure if you spotted this but Carroll University located in Waukesha, Wisconsin and currently a member of the Midwest Conference, has decide to join the CCIW conference as a full member for the 2016-17 season. It is anticipated that they will become an associate member in Women's Lacrosse in 2015-16, one year before they become a full member of the CCIW. They currently do not have a Men's or Women's Lacrosse team but will be adding both for the 2014-15 season. Here is a link to the full press release that was posted on the MWC Basketball board. It's the 3rd post on the page. The 2nd post on the page also has a link to the breaking news.

http://www.d3boards.com/index.php?topic=4558.13380

Plus K as usual for the fine job you do here. And a plus K to my friend from the DC area, amh63 as well. I got you over the 400 mark and amh63 over the 300 mark in the past few days. ;D 8-)