Lacrosse

Started by drisclaw, July 03, 2011, 09:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NCF

Quote from: PolarCat on April 19, 2015, 09:08:00 AM
Vandy,

I will defer to your expertise, as I can't follow all the seeding rules myself.  (I think somewhere in the tie-breaker process they include "number of read-headed players named Phoebe" and "number of coaches born in a month without an R in it").

I will join you in bellying up to the bar Wednesday and drinking to the Panther and Polar Bear victories.  And I may even do a rickety keg stand if the Bobcats and their superb GK can rally and knock off the Mules.  Should be a pretty fun tailgate in Medford ... unless we're drowning our sorrows.

I certainly didn't mean to slight the rest of Division 3, and F&M is another team I think could go all the way. My earlier post was specifically about the NESCAC Tournament, and the NCAA Tournament will pose another set of challenges, but I don't want to look too far ahead.

It would be great if we could get some posters on here from other conferences (and dare I say it, some more MEN'S lacrosse posts, too).  But until we do, you, middhoops, amh63 and I will have to keep this forum going.   :D

Keep your eyes on the women's  CCIW. The top three (Augustana, Carthage and North Central) will battle it out for position in the tournament semi's. As of today, Augie is undefeated in conference and ends the regular season with a game on Wednesday against Carthage (also undefeated in conference play) and Saturday against North Central. North Central just lost a 13-15 decision to Carthage.
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13
CCIW  MEN"S INDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: TOTAL DOMINATION SINCE 2001.
CCIW MEN'S OUTDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: 35
NATIONAL CHAMPIONS: INDOOR TRACK-'89,'10,'11,'12/OUTDOOR TRACK: '89,'94,'98,'00,'10,'11
2013 OAC post season pick-em tri-champion
2015 CCIW Pick-em co-champion

PolarCat

I've done a little research and here is how I THINK the NESCAC Tournament seeds are determined.

If Trinity, Middlebury and Bowdoin all win Wednesday, they will be the 1, 2 and 3 seeds, with Hamilton hosting the 4th game.  But if Tufts beats Bowdoin Wednesday, Bowdoin, Hamilton and Tufts would each finish with 7-3 conference records.  Per the NESCAC Championship Manual (http://static.psbin.com/5/2/v1520b1bt8iht0/W_Lax_Manual_2015.pdf ), in the event of a 3-way tie, the first tie-breaker is head-to-head victories.  Bowdoin beat Hamilton, Hamilton beat Tufts, and Tufts would have beaten Bowdoin, so there’s no clear winner there.

The second tie-breaker is number of conference wins, but we’d all have 7 and still be tied.

The third tie-breaker is record against the top 4 teams, including all teams tied for the 4th spot: i.e. the record vs. Trinity, Midd, Bowdoin, Hamilton and Tufts.  The respective records would be:
•   Tufts: 2-2 (losses to Trinity and Hamilton).
•   Bowdoin: 1-3 (losses to Trinity, Midd and Tufts)
•   Hamilton:  1-3 (losses to Trinity, Midd and us)

As I read the rules, Tufts would get the 3 seed.  Bowdoin and Hamilton would then go back through the tie-breaker process, and Bowdoin would get #4 seed based on our head-to-head victory, and Hamilton would be taking the long bus ride to Brunswick for a rematch of the OT regular season thriller.  But this is my first time through the process, and my head hurts trying to sort it all out. 

There is also an outside chance that FOUR teams could wind up at 7-3, in the (unlikely) event Williams upsets Middlebury.  (After all, it IS the NESCAC, and these things can happen). 

For what it's worth, the NESCAC Calendar now says Quarterfinals will be hosted by Trinity (vs. Williams), Middlebury (vs. TBA) and Bowdoin (v. TBA) with the final match TBA v. TBA at TBA: http://www.nescac.com/sports/wlax/2014-15/schedule

amh63

PolarCat...nice work....but I now got a headache!  Plus K anyway

Vandy74

Quote from: amh63 on April 21, 2015, 01:52:10 PM
PolarCat...nice work....but I now got a headache!  Plus K anyway

amh63.....I am in complete agreement.........pass the Advil. :P ;)   

PolarCat

#7 Hamilton closed their regular season yesterday with a loss to unranked Ithaca. 

PolarCat

Tufts has FINALLY posted a link to video for tonight's key WLAX match up with Bowdoin: http://www.packnetwork.com/tufts/

MUC57

Can someone not from NESCAC chime in?
Thanks gang for keeping a board going about LaCrosse (or is it lacrosse?). I'm an old Mount Union alum and therefore; follow the football team closely. Last year I started following lacrosse-both men's and women's and really got into it! Although I am still trying to learn the rules, it's a great sport. I have also read a little on the history, you know, Indian tribes playing a game with a ball and some sticks.
Last year the women's team won the OAC championship, in just their 2nd season, went on to the NCAA tournament where they won the first game then lost to Cortland State. At present, they are ranked 18 by Lacrosse Magazine with a record of 14-0.
I guess the point is it's more fun watching a good team. That certainly fuels the interest.
I also know they are probably not ready for "prime time" yet. Too many good teams in the East. Ah well, still a great sport.
Good luck to all the NESCAC teams and all who play-women and men!
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

middhoops

All right!
NCF isn't alone any more.
Welcome MUC57.  Please post often.

NCF

Quote from: middhoops on April 22, 2015, 08:35:37 PM
All right!
NCF isn't alone any more.
Welcome MUC57.  Please post often.

I was alone?? ??? ??? :o :o ;D ;D ;D
NATIONAL CHAMPIONS: INDOOR TRACK-'89,'10,'11,'12/OUTDOOR TRACK: '89,'94,'98,'00,'10,'11

PolarCat

Exciting final night of regular season play in the NESCAC last evening.  After a year of great play, but winding up on the wrong end of many close scores, Bates ended its season with a 9-8 upset of Colby.  Wesleyan with its interim head coach ended its NESCAC victory drought with a 15-7 beat down of Conn College.

Up in Amherst, #1 Trinity held off a great effort by the Lady Jeffs to prevail 12-7.  Martha Griffin turned in another stellar performance, with 5 goals, 2 assists and 2 CTO's.  She's really a force to be reckoned with.

Williams faced #3 Middlebury in a great, back-and-forth game, that saw the Ephs battle back from an early 3-1 deficit to go up 7-5, with the Panthers in turn battling back to finally prevail 13-11. 

We were at the cold, rainy, windy Bowdoin-Tufts game.  The Tufts coaches did a superb job of coaching the Jumbos up and motivating them.  With a fast paced attack and some creative offensive schemes, Tufts jumped out to a 5-2 lead midway through the first half.  To their great credit, the Polar Bears didn't panic, and a couple of great adjustments saw them battle back taking a 6-6 tie into halftime.  In the second half, Bowdoin put its paw on the pedal and never let up, leg by superb play by their defense and a great outing between the pipes by FY GK Kayli Weiss.  Ultimately, the game was decided by conditioning: midway through the second the Jumbo's were totally gassed, and the Polar Bears' run and gun offense had them on their heels.  A great game to watch, despite the miserable conditions.

The NESCAC quarter finals are this Saturday:

#1 Trinity hosts #8 Williams
#2 Middlebury hosts #7 Amherst
#3 Bowdoin hosts #6 Colby
#4 Hamilton hosts #5 Tufts (a VERY long bus ride for the Jumbo's)

It's going to be a REALLY fun Saturday!

PolarCat

And in non-NESCAC news: Carol Cantele's #6 Gettysburg Bullets surprised Mike Faith's #2 F&M Diplomats 14-11.  It looks like the Bullets will be the top seed in the Centennial Conference tournament.  Who'd a thunk it?

Vandy74

Quote from: MUC57 on April 22, 2015, 03:35:42 PM

Can someone not from NESCAC chime in?
Thanks gang for keeping a board going about LaCrosse (or is it lacrosse?). I'm an old Mount Union alum and therefore; follow the football team closely. Last year I started following lacrosse-both men's and women's and really got into it! Although I am still trying to learn the rules, it's a great sport. I have also read a little on the history, you know, Indian tribes playing a game with a ball and some sticks.
Last year the women's team won the OAC championship, in just their 2nd season, went on to the NCAA tournament where they won the first game then lost to Cortland State. At present, they are ranked 18 by Lacrosse Magazine with a record of 14-0.
I guess the point is it's more fun watching a good team. That certainly fuels the interest.
I also know they are probably not ready for "prime time" yet. Too many good teams in the East. Ah well, still a great sport.
Good luck to all the NESCAC teams and all who play-women and men!

MUC57.....Welcome aboard.  I'm glad to see a Mt. Union poster.  What the Raiders have done in 3 short seasons is quite amazing.  Now if a few Augustana fans would chime in........  Part of me would tend to agree that your women's team is not (quite) ready for prime time as you say but they do have an intriguing win over Fredonia in the SUNYAC to their credit.  Only one other team has beaten Fredonia and that is #4 (last I checked) Cortland.  It's not just that lone score either.  Fredonia beat Wooster 13-11.  Wittenberg just handed Wooster their first conference defeat 18-12.  Wittenberg is undefeated in NCAC play.  Mt. Union beat Wittenberg 12-9 so there is a second meaningful game to compare.   And Augustana, btw, defeated Wittenberg 17-11.  Mt. Union is #21 in the coaches' poll that I am familiar with.  Augustana is #24.  Both seem very capable of making some noise come NCAA tournament time.  Hopefully the competition in the OAC will improve as interest in the sport grows.  Augustana is tested in conference play by Carthage and North Central, two other very good developing women's programs.   And it's "lacrosse" fyi. ;)

As for the NESCAC I see that the tournament seedings turned out as they should have.  Not to say that any upset in the conference quarterfinals would be a huge surprise except possibly Williams upending Trinity.  I confess I forgot all about Middlebury's game with Williams yesterday.  It rained all day here and chilly as well.  Just once I'd like to see the Panthers play in Spring-like weather.  The last two seasons have been brutal.  The forecast for this Saturday isn't promising. :( :P

amh63

Watched a bit of a lot of CAC lacrosse on Wednesday.  Seems the underdogs both in men's and women's teams did not go out easily.  Amherst's men's team had a battle in the Coop and finally prevailed by a goal.  Though they are the top seed for the upcoming tourney...it seems that all the lower seeds gave them a battle....yes, the Panthers were the only team to beat them in the conference and it was at home!  Lots of sport matches against Middlebury's teams this weekend.
Speaking about weather conditions.....it snowed this morning...again...near Ithaca!  I posted elsewhere that Amherst's baseball team has not played a single game to date on it's home field.  This weekend's games are being played at UMass.  One of the advantages of being surrounded by a number of schools. :)

NCF

North Central  will add men's will add lacrosse for the 2016-17 season. They will also add Women's Triathlon (an emerging NCAA sport).

PolarCat

What an amazing day in the NESCAC WLAX quarter finals.  All 4 games decided by one goal. 

#8 seed Williams led #1 seed Trinity 7-5 at halftime, and was up 10-6 with 22 minutes left in the second half.  Then the Bantams fired off 5 straight goals while holding the Ephs scoreless to win 11-10.

Meanwhile, #7 seed Amherst and #2 seed Middlebury swapped the lead back and forth 5 times.  With 19:10 to go, the Lady Jeffs were up 8-5 and appeared ready to end the Panthers' season.  But Midd fought back scoring 4 unanswered goals to preserve their #2 seed.

Things wee only slightly less crazy in Brunswick.  In the first half, #6 seed Colby held a one-goal lead over #3 seed Bowdoin five separate times, only to have the Polar Bears fight back and take an 8-6 lead into halftime.  Colby scored 5 times in the second half, and put extreme pressure on Bowdoin, with the Polar Bears turning the ball over 7 times.  But in the end, Colby killed their chances with penalties: When the two teams met during the regular season, the Mules had 2 goals called back for illegal pockets, and they had one called back today.  The Mules played 2 men down at one point, as their players drew back-to-back yellow cards.  They were also penalized for offsides, and for having 13 players on the field (which is pretty inexcusable at this point in the season).

Maybe the grittiest performance of the day came from the #5 seed Tufts Jumbo's.  Despite losing to #4 seed Hamilton during the regular season, despite their hard-fought defeat by Bowdoin on a cold, rain night this past Wednesday, and despite the grindingly long bus trip to Clinton, the Jumbos scored first and never relinquished the lead.

Next Saturday in Hartford, #1 Trinity faces Tufts and  #2 Middlebury faces #5 Bowdoin, in what should be an incredible afternoon of lacrosse.