Lacrosse

Started by drisclaw, July 03, 2011, 09:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vandy74

Congratulations to Bowdoin.  Clearly the team who came ready to play this afternoon.  I can't say enough about their GK.  I leave it to PolarCat to provide the details.  Tough day all around for Middlebury LAX as Tufts has matters well in hand in LJ land. :( :( :(

magicman

Cortland State men once again prove to be a tough opponent for the Plattsburgh State Cardinals as they win the SUNYAC conference for the umpteenth time in a hard fought 14-12 final.

Vandy74

Quote from: magicman on May 02, 2015, 06:48:41 PM
Cortland State men once again prove to be a tough opponent for the Plattsburgh State Cardinals as they win the SUNYAC conference for the umpteenth time in a hard fought 14-12 final.

magicman,

Take away the 0-2 start to the season and 0-2 against Cortland and that's a pretty successful run.  Now if you could just get a Cardinal women's program up and running.

PolarCat

Vandy, thank you for your kind words.  BOTH NESCAC semis were exciting, with a tough, feisty Tufts team almost knocking off the #1 team in the nation.  They took Trinity to the second OT period, and were leading with 35 seconds left, only to have the Bants rattle off two goals in 35 seconds to secure the victory.  But I think the fact Trinity barely scraped by in the quarters and the semis indicates they're vulnerable,

Bowdoin's 14-8 victory over a top 5 team, led by a Hall of Fame coach in her last ever NESCAC Conference game, was incredibly exciting.  After 32 straight defeats to the Panthers spanning 29 seasons, the Polar Bears made quite a statement today.  The Polar Bears' strength is they have no real superstar, but half a dozen really talented girls on offense, 4 shut down defenders, middies that play D as well as most teams' defenders, and as Vandy noted, a GK who was on fire today.  I think they have a legitimate shot at knocking off Trinity tomorrow.

Vandy, I have to say your Panthers have some of the most gracious parents in the NCAA.  They were wonderful after the game , wishing us luck tomorrow (though I'm sure they were also all looking forward to a rematch with us in the Regional).

Needless to say, we had quite a tailgate.   :) ;D ;) :D :) ;D ;) :D

amh63

Three comments. 
First...it was good to hear from you Magicman!  Thought the late Spring weather got you down. :)
Second......Middlebury's parents are nice people with respect to sports...found that out in watching MBB with them.  It's their other fans that can be testy at times. :)
Third....watched some of the games at the Coop.  Surprised that Tufts came back to take the game into the first OT.  The Bantams' shot to tie the game in the first OT was a gimme....considering it was by the POY on a free shot. Actually was rooting for Tufts.
Last comment...I know, I stated 3.   Anyway, I thought it was a bit much for Tufts to " run up " the score in their game on Pratt Field.  Held a big lead throughout the game.  Amherst in their closer game with Bates, after a timeout with less than a minute to go, just ran the clock down....even in an empty goal situation for Bates.
Hope Amherst repeat their win over the Jumbos today.

P'bearfan

Congrats to Bowdoin's women's lax team on a great season.  They put up a good fight today but fell short to a very strong Trinity team.  Still a wonderful season.  Good luck in the NCAA tournament!

PolarCat

Bowdoin put up a great fight against an excellent Bantam team.  I wouldn't be surprised if the bus ride home is silent except for snoring.  It was an intense 48 hours, and it was HOT down on that turf today!  The Polar Bear defense bent but never really broke.  Unfortunately, Trinity ground us down with time of possession. 

Hard to believe this was just Bowdoin's second appearance in the final.  The girls have much to be proud of.  There's a lot of returning talent on the team, so I think we'll be back..

Hats of to the Bantam players and coaches for an incredible season.  Maybe our paths will cross again in the NCAA's, and maybe third time will be the charm.

UPDATE: What's that old saying, "Be careful what you wish for"?  Trinity and Bowdoin are in the SAME bracket, along with TCNJ.  I don't expect any of them will have difficulty this weekend, but the Regionals will be a Battle Royale.  I guess the silver lining is that two really good teams will have their seasons end in 2 weeks, and the girls on those teams will be able to don caps and gowns and pick up their diplomas with their classmates, instead of in a small private ceremony in Philadelphia.

Three of the brackets look tough  In the fourth, it's almost as if the NCAA is easing the path for Augustana and Mount Union.  Though if either one of those teams can make it past Cortland, we'll know they're the real deal.

Vandy74

Quote from: PolarCat on May 03, 2015, 06:23:31 PM
Bowdoin put up a great fight against an excellent Bantam team.  I wouldn't be surprised if the bus ride home is silent except for snoring.  It was an intense 48 hours, and it was HOT down on that turf today!  The Polar Bear defense bent but never really broke.  Unfortunately, Trinity ground us down with time of possession. 

Hard to believe this was just Bowdoin's second appearance in the final.  The girls have much to be proud of.  There's a lot of returning talent on the team, so I think we'll be back..

Hats of to the Bantam players and coaches for an incredible season.  Maybe our paths will cross again in the NCAA's, and maybe third time will be the charm.

UPDATE: What's that old saying, "Be careful what you wish for"?  Trinity and Bowdoin are in the SAME bracket, along with TCNJ.  I don't expect any of them will have difficulty this weekend, but the Regionals will be a Battle Royale.  I guess the silver lining is that two really good teams will have their seasons end in 2 weeks, and the girls on those teams will be able to don caps and gowns and pick up their diplomas with their classmates, instead of in a small private ceremony in Philadelphia.

Three of the brackets look tough  In the fourth, it's almost as if the NCAA is easing the path for Augustana and Mount Union.  Though if either one of those teams can make it past Cortland, we'll know they're the real deal.

The problem with being the best in a weak conference is that come NCAA tournament time teams like Augustana and Mt. Union, clearly a cut above the rest the Western regions have to offer, haven't been tested in a month.  Augie should handle Wis.-Concordia but they won't beat Cortland.  As for Mt. Union who should have little trouble with Albion, Catholic will be a good indicator of how ready they are to compete at the next level.  Catholic is a perfect match up for them.  Beating defending champion Salisbury in OT to open the season, Catholic later lost 19-12 at home to Cortland.  They also lost at home to Williams by a single goal.  An inspired Mt. Union team could very well beat them but they could also lose by a solid margin.  I see it as one of the most intriguing match ups in the early rounds of the tourney.  Should the Raiders prevail, I don't see them advancing past Cortland.  Cortland actually has quite an easy path to the Final Four.  Trinity's first serious challenge, most likely Bowdoin, will be in the Elite Eight.

Bowdoin will be tested by TCNJ but I expect they will break away in the second half.  The NJ team has an impressive road victory over Salisbury but their other strength of conference games with Messiah, Gettysburg and Trinity are their three losses.  They haven't been challenged in their last six games at all and 5 have been at home.  Bowdoin should get that rematch with Trinity. 

Hamilton faces Salisbury in the opening round.  Salisbury has looked very beatable AND very good.  Which Salisbury team will show up to play?  The winner most likely plays Middlebury.  That game's winner should face Gettysburg.  One of those four teams will face Cortland in the semifinal round.

Tufts faces some stiff competition as well.  Messiah, Franklin & Marshall, and Washington & Lee should be the teams they would face if they progress.  Not all that unlike the typical NESCAC schedule.  It won't be easy but Tufts could pull it off.

My prediction for the championship game is Trinity against Cortland.  Two hungry teams.  Trinity has lost the last two to Salisbury.  Cortland is tired of almost getting there but not quite succeeding.  My heart says Middlebury-Bowdoin, but my head says Trinity-Cortland.  Best bet to pull off a big upset, Mt. Union, but I see that more likely happening a year or two down the road. 

Rapidly improving programs like Mt. Union and Augustana are trying to join a very select circle.  In the 30 D3 women's lax championship games played only 9 different schools have won.  Only 13 have participated.  You have to go back to 2003 when Amherst beat Middlebury 11-9 to find the first season both entrants are not in this year's bracket.  The only season that neither participant is included in this year's tournament was 1995 when Ursinus defeated St. Lawrence.  By the time this season's FY players are seniors I expect someone new will join the club.

Well that's my unsolicited two-cents worth.  Best of luck to all the NESCAC teams except when they are up against the Panthers.  It should be great fun regardless of who wins.

MUC57

Vandy74

Great analysis of the playoff bracket. Hope Mount Union can pull off the upset down the road. But as you said, maybe later. They only lose 1 senior this year, a defender, so could be tough next year.

Meant to ask you where you are from, where your kids go to school, who you're for or whatever?
Just like to know. You and PolarCat have been helping me out a lot. Now, having said all that, I have a question. Remember I'm new to all this. The Mount women beat Baldwin-Wallace 20-5 last Saturday. I know soccer and hockey are low scoring games so is 20 a lot of points? Does anyone know of an average number of points scored in a victory? Then again, that might not be meaningful anyway. Just thought I'd ask.

Good luck to all your teams in the playoffs, unless of course, they play Mount Union. Oh, what the hell, good luck anyway!

Take care, or as my Hawaiian friends would say, malama pono. Same thing.
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

PolarCat

Love your analysis, Vandy and I think you are spot on.

I think Midd will beat Gettysburg in the Elite Eight.  Carol Cantele is a great coach, but I think the advantage of having two head coaches with National Championships on their resume's will be a huge advantage when it comes time to watch film of unfamiliar teams.  But I'm not sure you have the horses to get past Cortland.

I think our rematch with Trinity will be closer - 1 or 2 goals - but TCNJ will tire us out on Saturday, while Trinity cruises past Pomona-Pitzer, resting their starters in the second half.  Then Trinity will grind us down Sunday with time of possession.  (I am guessing Trin possessed the ball for 45 minutes Sunday compared to 15 minutes for Bowdoin).  Our run and gun offense is exciting when it works, but makes life a bear for the defense when it doesn't, particularly when you are dealing with the likes of Ms. Griffin et. al.

I've been wrong before and my heart says what yours does.  But if our girls don't go to Philly, their consolation prize will be to walk across the campus in caps and gowns with their peers, instead of getting their diplomas in a suburban Philly hotel.  Not a terrible alternative.

PolarCat

Quote from: MUC57 on May 04, 2015, 10:26:36 AM
I have a question. Remember I'm new to all this. The Mount women beat Baldwin-Wallace 20-5 last Saturday. I know soccer and hockey are low scoring games so is 20 a lot of points? Does anyone know of an average number of points scored in a victory? Then again, that might not be meaningful anyway. Just thought I'd ask.

20-5 is meaningful, but not necessarily in a good way.  Unlike soccer, there is no "goal differential" criteria in WLAX, and Mount Union secured the AQ with the win, so why run up the score and embarrass the opponent?  I think many programs would have played their second string and freshmen, to give them some big game experience, and been content with a 12-8 victory or the like. 

(Full disclosure: we did have some lop-sided victories of our own this year - 19-5, 15-6, 15-3, 18-4 and 17-5 - but all of those were in games where the bench played the second half and the coaches did what they could to keep the scores from getting out of hand).

You have a young coach in a young program, so if the coach or the players got caught up in the moment, that's understandable.  But even when my daughter was playing in prep school, the coach would take out his starters and make edicts like "No shooting unless there have been 5 passes" or "You can only shoot with your weak hand" to try to keep games from becoming blow-outs.

That team you embarrass this year may come back with a vengeance next year, and as they say, revenge is a dish that's best served cold.  No disrespect meant to your program, just answering your question. 

EDIT: I just looked at your results for the season.  It looks like your young coach likes blowing folks out.  In 2014 you had wins of 23-2, 22-3, 21-0, 28-1, 18-3, 22-0 and 20-5.  This year, in addition to embarrassing your opponent in the OAC Championship, you had other wins 18-2, 23-6, 22-4, 21-7, 25-1 and 20-5.  I'm not sure what statement your coach is trying to make, but I just stopped being a fan of your program.

If you make it past Catholic, maybe Cortland will blow you out 30-5 and let you see what it feels like.

Vandy74

Vandy74

Great analysis of the playoff bracket. Hope Mount Union can pull off the upset down the road. But as you said, maybe later. They only lose 1 senior this year, a defender, so could be tough next year.

Meant to ask you where you are from, where your kids go to school, who you're for or whatever?
Just like to know. You and PolarCat have been helping me out a lot. Now, having said all that, I have a question. Remember I'm new to all this. The Mount women beat Baldwin-Wallace 20-5 last Saturday. I know soccer and hockey are low scoring games so is 20 a lot of points? Does anyone know of an average number of points scored in a victory? Then again, that might not be meaningful anyway. Just thought I'd ask.

Good luck to all your teams in the playoffs, unless of course, they play Mount Union. Oh, what the hell, good luck anyway!

Take care, or as my Hawaiian friends would say, malama pono. Same thing.

MUC57,

I have no children but I did spend almost a decade in Croton-on-Hudson, NY raising a late brother's two kids.  The nephew graduated from Lafayette last spring and the niece is a freshman at Amherst.  She played lacrosse in high school.  My father was an Amherst grad as was a brother.  Another brother went to Middlebury.  A third brother went to Amherst to play football.  When a knee injury ended his playing career he transferred to Middlebury for his senior year.  I am a 9th generation native Vermonter and grew up in Middlebury.  When they aren't facing the Panthers I root for the Lord Jeffs. :o 8-)  My moniker speaks for itself in terms of age and Alma Mater.  The Middlebury women's lax HC is my sister-in-law.  Thus the interest in the game. 

20, as a rule of thumb, is as high as a lacrosse score should go.  Missy has an "understood" rule against scoring 20 on an overmatched opponent.  Granted in such games players who see limited game participation are involved and deserve to have fun while trying to improve in every way but for the most part the rule is followed.  The Panthers led 16-3 at the half over Roanoke this season and went on to win 19-4.  There are many factors involved not the least of which being how evenly matched the competing teams are to each other.   Trinity is 17-1.  Seven other conference foes are ranked and they play a solid out of conference schedule as well.  They average 13 goals per game.  That's as good an answer to your question as you will find. 

Good luck to the Raiders. ;)

Vandy74

Quote from: PolarCat on May 04, 2015, 05:06:57 PM
I have a question. Remember I'm new to all this. The Mount women beat Baldwin-Wallace 20-5 last Saturday. I know soccer and hockey are low scoring games so is 20 a lot of points? Does anyone know of an average number of points scored in a victory? Then again, that might not be meaningful anyway. Just thought I'd ask.

20-5 is meaningful, but not necessarily in a good way.  Unlike soccer, there is no "goal differential" criteria in WLAX, and Mount Union secured the AQ with the win, so why run up the score and embarrass the opponent?  I think many programs would have played their second string and freshmen, to give them some big game experience, and been content with a 12-8 victory or the like. 

(Full disclosure: we did have some lop-sided victories of our own this year - 19-5, 15-6, 15-3, 18-4 and 17-5 - but all of those were in games where the bench played the second half and the coaches did what they could to keep the scores from getting out of hand).

You have a young coach in a young program, so if the coach or the players got caught up in the moment, that's understandable.  But even when my daughter was playing in prep school, the coach would take out his starters and make edicts like "No shooting unless there have been 5 passes" or "You can only shoot with your weak hand" to try to keep games from becoming blow-outs.

That team you embarrass this year may come back with a vengeance next year, and as they say, revenge is a dish that's best served cold.  No disrespect meant to your program, just answering your question. 

EDIT: I just looked at your results for the season.  It looks like your young coach likes blowing folks out.  In 2014 you had wins of 23-2, 22-3, 21-0, 28-1, 18-3, 22-0 and 20-5.  This year, in addition to embarrassing your opponent in the OAC Championship, you had other wins 18-2, 23-6, 22-4, 21-7, 25-1 and 20-5.  I'm not sure what statement your coach is trying to make, but I just stopped being a fan of your program.

If you make it past Catholic, maybe Cortland will blow you out 30-5 and let you see what it feels like.

PolarCat,

As much as, like you, I cringe seeing a 28-1 score we are spoiled in the NESCAC.  It's easy to be "nice" when you don't have to prove yourself.  Right now teams like Mt. Union are caught between a rock and a hard place.  They are trying to improve to the point they can compete regularly with teams like Bowdoin, Cortland et al. while being required to play in a conference that offers them virtually no competition.   Every team in the NESCAC is capable of defeating Castleton or Keene St. in the 1st round of the NCAA.  Nobody in Mt. Union's conference can do that except Mt. Union.  Well, maybe a few others could beat Keene St. ::) ::) :P  You don't maintain a competitive edge by only playing hard for just one half.  You get sloppy and stale.   Before arthritic shoulders destroyed my golf game I used to play to a 5 or 6 handicap.  I never got any pleasure competing against those whose goal was to break 100.  I expect Mt. Union's players would prefer a regular challenge to what they mostly now face until NCAA tournament time.  Please give the regional competition time to catch up with them.  If five years from now they are still playing the bully I will join you in that harsh judgement.  Right now they don't have much choice in the matter.

Polish off TCNJ and then get those annoying Bantams out of the way, will you please? ;)

amh63

Vandy74....see that you have a Spotted cat in the family :). Always suspected that the Foote family were "Cool Cats" as well as "Lords of the Manor"....so to speak ;D
Just learned that your lovely state has less than 700,000 citizens.  If you get the chance...congrat the men's tennis coach for me.  See the Panthers are building a tennis powerhous....must be the new field house!

MUC57

PolarCat
Thanks for your comments (I think). Not sure how to respond or if I should try. Being new to this sport, I never realized they were running up the score. The Mount Union football team is constantly accused of running up the score even though they will kick field goals after a first and ten on the 10 yard line after getting a big lead. Don't know what would be comparable in lacrosse, except as you say, put in the backups. I just met you, so to speak. Are we still friends?

Vandy74
Thanks for your comments too. Thanks also for coming to my rescue. I guess I really am new to this game. Comments on the football boards can lead to some really rough exchanges. Maybe here too! I think I'll just watch and see how the "big" schools, who are the obvious experts, deal with different situations. In the meantime, I'll stick by my alma mater in all sports.
Good luck to all!
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠