Lacrosse

Started by drisclaw, July 03, 2011, 09:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vandy74

Quote from: amh63 on May 30, 2016, 07:14:16 AM
Me too! :)  Congrats to the lady Panthers Title win. Thought I saw Chrissy Ritter's parents in the stands...online. 
The Tufts lost to Salisbury was a " strange " game to me....long scoring runs by both teams.  Looked like a blow out for the Seagulls, only to have the Jumbos come right back.
All In all, it was a nice showcase for the Nescac.

Sue Ritter is hard to miss amh63.  A very animated and proud parent when her kids are playing.  I was amused that the camera focused on her at least three, maybe four times, during the course of the game. :D  I didn't spot her husband but I did see their son who just finished his FY at MC.  The ex-HC was there to root on her seniors as was my brother although neither appeared in camera shots of the crowd that I noticed.  Many other players' parents I recognized as well.

Cortland State's impressive run was cut just short by Trinity, the one in Texas, who beat them out for a berth in the baseball DIII championship round.  Here's hoping magicman's SUNYAC loyalty will be rewarded with a strong Plattsburgh basketball team when that season arrives. ;) He is, after all, partial to Cardinals over Red Dragons. 8-)

While some of us will continue to post randomly on various boards here's wishing all a pleasant summer.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Vandy74 on May 28, 2016, 02:43:18 PM
And none other than Hoopsville's Dave McHugh covering the vid-steam action.

It was me! Second year in a row calling the games for the women's championship weekend. Fun to call solid games. Believe it or not, I've been involved, covered, called lacrosse games for as long as I have basketball - we just don't have a website for me to be as involved... yet.  ;D
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

middhoops

Dave, you did the best job of announcing a lacrosse game I've heard/seen yet.  Thanks for making the game so clear to all viewers.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Wow middhoops! Thank you. Unexpected, but appreciated. I will admit that women's lax is a real challenge, especially when doing it solo, but I have finally felt somewhat comfortable. I just hope I can call more games in my future (like more than two D1 games I did this year for the Big East Network as a color guy).

But thank you again... I really do appreciate the kind words.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

AndOne

Congrats to North Central's Gina Fisher who was selected to play in the Division III Seniors All-Star game.
This season, Gina helped lead the Cardinals to the most wins in school history. She finished as NCC's all time leader in goals (216), assists (107), ground balls (375), draw controls (260), and caused turnovers (205).

http://northcentralcardinals.com/news/2016/5/31/womens-lacrosse-fisher-honored-by-iwlca.aspx?path=wlax

* The link contains the IWLAC press release containing the names of all players selected for the D1, D2, and D3 All-Star games.

PolarCat

It's not D3, but bear with me - there's a reason I am posting this.

There is a strange and awful train wreck playing out at Dartmouth, as Coach Amy Patton was forced to resign after 26 years at the helm of a very successful program.  The official details haven't been revealed by either the school or Coach Patton.  However, based on articles in the local paper (the Valley News), Lax Magazine's reprinting of a letter signed by current and past Dartmouth players, plus comments made by current parents and others associated with the program, it sounds like....

A 2nd year player who was not getting playing time complained to the Administration that she was being "bullied" by the coach and other players.  In particular, she did not like the way her teammates spoke to her when she did not know the plays at practice.  There have been allegations she bad mouthed the coaches and captains in social settings, which led to more distancing of the player from her teammates, which the aggrieved young lady characterized as further bullying.

A witch hunt ensued, and a highly respected coach (one of four coaches selected to coach in the new women's professional league) was forced to resign, with the modern equivalent of a scarlet letter painted on her resume, thanks to a kid who didn't like her coaching style.

How does this pertain to D3 WLAX?  Well I can think of a girl on my daughter's team who could fit this same pattern, and I bet that at least half of the D3 programs have at least one athlete who isn't getting playing time and feels she has a grievance against her coach.  We may be reaching a point where, in addition to coaching, mentoring AC's, fighting with Admissions, balancing a budget, and caring for the mental, physical and emotional health of their players, a coach who wants to keep coaching must know add "snowflake-coddling" to her job description.

(PS: If you have not yet seen the IWLX - new professional league - you owe it to yourself to watch the upcoming tournament on ESPN3 on July 30 and 31st.  The players are "the best of the best", and they have made some exciting rules changes, like a shot clock that WORKS. While USLacrosse dillies and dallies, the IWLX have made a few single tweaks which make the game so much more interesting to watch.)

amh63

Tufts has posted that they have hired an alum for the men's lacrosse team.  The new hire was the HC at Taft prep school where he he made the program an upper level one.  The native Conn native was a three sport student athlete at Tufts...football, lacrosse and basketball.
Seems the former HC left in July to take the job at Brown in R I.  Thought Brown was in the Title run last year....so how did that job become vacant?

nescac1

PolarCat, I was skeptical that Harry Sheehy (who was pretty damn tough on his players, himself, back in his coaching days, but was well-liked and well-respected) would fire someone based on something so flimsy, and it does seem that there is another side to this story that you have ignored in your post:

http://thedartmouth.com/2016/07/28/community-reacts-to-pattons-resignation/

Now, I have no idea if this firing was justified, or not.  But I do think PolarCat you are making this far more black and white than the history here seems to be.  Because personnel matters are confidential, we are not going to hear the full story.  But the idea that this was all about only one aggrieved student seemed incredible on its face, and indeed, it does appear that at least some other student-athletes have had serious issues with this coach.  Now, plenty have plenty of good things to say about her, too, but that alone is not dispositive, either.  Lots of Indiana players had great experiences with Bobby Knight -- doesn't excuse him choking a player, or his other ridiculous acts on the court. 

Canvas Hightops

Hmmm.  Getting the lay of the land here.
Sounds like a parent making a (somewhat impassioned) point and a legal mind seeking clarity.
But, Dartmouth, here?

Vandy74

Quote from: Canvas Hightops on September 27, 2016, 03:03:51 PM
Hmmm.  Getting the lay of the land here.
Sounds like a parent making a (somewhat impassioned) point and a legal mind seeking clarity.
But, Dartmouth, here?

Dartmouth alum, daughter plays for Bowdoin.  I know he can speak for himself but we're both living on the football board for the most part lately.  I hope you'll be back here to join us when the lax season begins.

PolarCat

Thanks Vandy.  FB season is over, so I am back on the WLAX board.

nescac1, a current mother on the Dartmouth team relayed a lot of the "back story" to me.  There is a lot more to it than will ever see the public eye.  But it's safe to say Harry didn't exactly cover himself with glory by the way this was handled.   There is a LOT more information on the other WLAX board (PM me if you don't know where that is), and most of it gibes with what the player's mother relayed to me.

And Canvas Hightops, the location of the story was Dartmouth, but when you dive into the nuances, it could have happened at any WLAX program, D1, D2 or D3.  It is a sad, cautionary tale of one additional challenge HC's have to contend with, and representative of our current snowflake culture, where colleges cancel classes because their students are too devastated to function following their candidate's defeat in the election.

If you find it off topic, so be it.  But it's not like my mentioning it distracted the Board from more pressing matters.   ;D

PolarCat

+/- 75 days without a post.  17 days till the teams start practicing officially.  Can we bring this board out of hibernation?

There's some interesting discussion on the "other" WLAX board, but this place is deader than the proverbial doorknob.....

amh63

PolarCat....just some comments to stir your "active" mind.
Was on the UConn website to check out info on the big WBB game on Monday.  Noticed that LAX practice was underway!  Contrast that with D3 and Nescac Lax. :)
Another bit of info for you.  Saw a football recruit for '21 class at Amherst listed.  Younger brother of a Big Green Football captain.

Vandy74

I'm still in basketball junkie mode and seem to have lost the enthusiasm to post much on any board lately but news out of Williamstown, MA bears notice.  Christine Mason, who has been HC of WLAX at Williams for 32 years has announced she will be retiring at the end of the upcoming season.  She has twice led her teams to the national championship game.  Her next win will be #300.  She was the field hockey HC for 19 seasons as well.  Including one year coaching field hockey at BU, her combined record stands at 505-230-15.  Although amh63, PolarCat and I cannot honestly wish her a final season with fewer than 3 losses, I'm sure the two of them join me in congratulating coach Mason on an impressive career. 

Her daughter Emily Schoessow, captain of both the ice hockey and lacrosse teams during her student days at Connecticut College, has spent the last 6 years building the WLAX program at Wis.-Concordia into the power of the MWLC.  They are the preseason pick to win the conference title again having gone undefeated in league play the past two seasons and earning berths in the NCAA tournament.

PolarCat

Mason is a class act.  It will be interesting to see who Williams tips to replace her.  Williams struggled last year (2-8 in conference, 5-11 overall), and I expect her girls will work hard to send her off with a memorable final season. 

Williams opens with Trinity, then RPI, then Bowdoin.  I suspect she will get her 300th win at home vs. RPI.  (If she opens the season with a win, this will be a crazy year in NESCAC).