MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markerickson

U.S. News & World Report has moved York College of Pennsylvania and the University of Mary Hardin-Baylor to its "unranked" category after learning that they had submitted inflated admissions data, making it appear more selective.
Once a metalhead, always a metalhead.  Matthew 5:13.

AppletonRocks

Quote from: AndOne on May 13, 2013, 01:57:19 PM
Quote from: Titan Q on May 13, 2013, 12:10:02 PM
Quote from: havej on May 13, 2013, 11:29:18 AM
NPU's building is just basically a high school gym.

That's an insult to high school gyms.

Now, now TQ.
Rivaling the best high school gyms, the "Crackerbox" does come complete with a stage at one end.   ;)

That way North Park can have its own "dance".  ;D
Run the floor or Run DMC !!

2016 WIAC Pick 'Em Board Champion

Gregory Sager

Quote from: havej on May 15, 2013, 09:54:00 AM
Per my earlier comments regarding NPU and Mike Harper, I was just attempting to knock the previous poster down from his horse a bit regarding the five nat'l titles !!!!

Attempting, and failing. As blue_jays also pointed out, it was a nonsensical comment.

Quote from: havej on May 15, 2013, 09:54:00 AMHarper's situation was so unique that it has to be a one in a million story on the D3 level.  He came out of one of the Quigley High Schools

Quigley South, which was located at 78th and Western on the South Side. The building and grounds are now the home of another Chicago Catholic high school, St. Rita. Michael Harper's older brother Walter, who was a member of the North Park faculty as a psychology lecturer while I was an NPC undergraduate, preceded him at Quigley South.

Quote from: havej on May 15, 2013, 09:54:00 AM- not sure if he even was recruited by Coach Mac or not.

I'm pretty sure that Dan McCarrell and Bosko Djurickovic recruited Harps, although Dennis Prikkel likely knows this for sure, one way or the other.

Quote from: havej on May 15, 2013, 09:54:00 AMOur coach had no idea who he was coming out of high school.  He came in to NP at about 6'5" and had such an aggressive growth spurt his freshman year that he suffered physically and had to miss games.  We started hearing about him that year and were looking forward to seeing him play against our JV team but he didn't make the trip to our gym due to fainting spells.

Anyhow, the rest is history.  He sprouted to an incredibly athletic 6'11" and dominated the league for three years.  He
had a non-stop motor and was a rim protector like no one we'd played against.  He developed a game on the low box to compliment his defensive and rebounding dominance.  And I'm sure all of you know, he played in the league for 2 years for the Blazers.

Bottom line, an extraordinary story enabled the Vikings to capture 3 of their 5.

You do a serious disservice to Michael Thomas (the 1981 CCIW Most Outstanding Player), Modzel Greer (a three-time All-CCIW first-teamer), and Keith French (a member of  of the 1980 D3 All-Tournament team) by omitting mention of their names, both in this post and in your earlier gibe at Dennis Prikkel. All three of them were fantastic players -- Thomas and Greer were both four-time All-CCIW honorees, and all three would eventually be drafted by NBA teams -- and Thomas and Greer, in particular, were vital to winning all three national championships, even though Harper was the primus inter pares of those Vikings stars.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Gregory Sager

Quote from: AppletonRocks on May 15, 2013, 04:00:21 PM
Quote from: AndOne on May 13, 2013, 01:57:19 PM
Quote from: Titan Q on May 13, 2013, 12:10:02 PM
Quote from: havej on May 13, 2013, 11:29:18 AM
NPU's building is just basically a high school gym.

That's an insult to high school gyms.

Now, now TQ.
Rivaling the best high school gyms, the "Crackerbox" does come complete with a stage at one end.   ;)

That way North Park can have its own "dance".  ;D

I have no idea what you're getting at with this joke.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Titan Q

Per Twitter...

@AlpharettaAD 16 May
S/O to Tyler Lentz (Young Harris) and Jarrell Holliman (Elmhurst) who will be playing college basketball next year!
https://twitter.com/AlpharettaAD/status/335003134604759041/photo/1

Jarell Holliman (Alpharetta H.S., Georgia) is a 6-8/185 small forward - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRKAcOHDSCg

Flying Dutch Fan

FYI - just saw this on Twitter (apologies if someone already posted this):

2013 5'8 PG Gavin Groszek from Midland Dow (MI) has committed to North Park University Chicago

Newspaper article:

http://highschoolsports.mlive.com/news/article/-3865766053853449267/midland-dows-gavin-groszek-commits-to-play-college-basketball/
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

tjcummingsfan

Awesome, another greatly undersized point guard for NP... 

Gotta love that article though, they make it sound like he's going to the best team in the CCIW!

Titan Q

iwu70

IWU's program selected Kevin Reed as the season's MVP.  I think it very fitting.  Rose awarded 14 letters, 12 of these guys return for next season.  Recruiting looks good, a ton of talent coming back.  Reed will be missed, but the Titans are poised to make another good run at Salem. 

Looking forward to it . . .

IWU70

Titan Q

Quote from: iwu70 on May 22, 2013, 02:02:06 AM
IWU's program selected Kevin Reed as the season's MVP.  I think it very fitting. 

http://www.iwusports.com/news/2013/5/21/MBB_0521132159.aspx

I agree.  I think you could debate who IWU's most valuable player was through the 13-1 CCIW campaign between Kevin Reed, Andrew Ziemnik, and Dylan Overstreet -- hard to pick a winner there.  Considering Reed was a senior, I think he was the no-brainer choice to give the nod to.

It's also a good reminder that while the Titans lose just one player from the 2012-13 rotation, that it was a very important one.  Reed did so many things well on the floor - passing, rebounding, and just enough offense to keep the defense honest.  He was also a great leader.  Finding a new 5-man starter, and 5 rotation, will be one of IWU's keys to the early part of 2013-14.

Right now I'd give a small edge to 6-9 senior-to-be Nick Anderson, but I think 6-8 sophomore-to-be Mike Marietti will really push Anderson for that job.  I expect that battle to go all the way into the early non-conference.  (6-8 junior-to-be Parker Musselman would have to develop better 5 skills to get in that mix in my opinion).

IWU has a lot of talent returning and should be very good next season - I'm excited about 2013-14.   

AndOne

From an opponent's viewpoint, I think the most apparent thing about Kevin Reed's game was the marked improvement he showed from the beginning to the end of his career, especially his footwork and rebound positioning.

Sometimes a graduating player can be replaced on a one-to-one basis by another single player. Other times the replacement can be/is accomplished by committee. This year's Final Four North Central team is a perfect example of the latter concept. The Cardinals lost only one player, PG Kevin Gillespie, from their 2011-2012 team.
This season Kevin was replaced by a committee consisting of Pat Rourke, Brandon Williams, and Jack Merrithey, each of whom was stronger in one particular phase of the game than the others. Each member of the "committee" made a significant contribution to the overall success of this year's team, and each player had at least one game which the Cardinals would not have won without their individual contribution in those specific games.

Perhaps we'll see this approach with Reed's replacement(s).

AndOne

Here is some descriptive information along with a schematic of the seating area renovation within NCC's Merner Fieldhouse/Gregory Arena, otherwise affectionally known by opposing fans as the "Hangar."

With 1,100 new seats on the north, east. and west sides of the court, and 220 more behind the scorer's table on the south side added to the existing 1,208 (Official Fire Marshall figure) balcony seats, the "official" Hangar seating capacity will now be 2,528. Should the need arise, it appears some additional folding chairs could be positioned in the southeast and southwest corners.
The north, east, and west seats will be molded bleacher style while the 220 south side seats will feature seat backs and arm rests, and be designated for notable alumni and donors.

If anyone is familiar with the seating at nearby Benedictine in Lisle, IL, I believe the same company will be installing the new NCC seats.

A few highlights of the Gregory Arena upgrade include:

* Creating a competition gym by adding 1,100 bleacher-style seats on the north, east and west sides of the court and approximately 220 new seats on the south side designated for alumni and donors.
* Upgrading the sound system to reach the new bleachers that are courtside and existing upper balcony seats.
* Renovating locker rooms with video capabilities, lockers, fresh paint and flooring.
* Adding new portable basketball hoops with attached shot clock.
* Upgrading the main scoreboard to include player fouls, points, and substitution numbers.
* Single-season and career record boards for each sport that competes in Gregory Arena.

http://www.northcentralcardinals.com/images/2013/5/3/GregoryArenaUpgade_FloorPlan.jpg

Pat Coleman

Hopefully Ethernet is on that list as well.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

robertgoulet

Quote from: Pat Coleman on May 22, 2013, 04:17:56 PM
Hopefully Ethernet is on that list as well.

No, but you'll be free to use the dial-up modem to log-in to your Netscape account.
You win! You always do!