World Cup and European leagues

Started by Jim Matson, June 11, 2006, 12:00:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sac

Liverpool made a late bid for Clint Dempsey today, a day after the expected loaning out of Andy Carroll to West Ham.

Man City seemed to load up

sac

Gray Fox

I'm not very knowledgeable, but the USA victory over Jamaica last night didn't seem very impressive.
They at least had enough time to score a second goal, but sat back and seemed to fall asleep.
Fierce When Roused

jknezek

The U.S. had an incredible first half and were very unlucky not to score multiple times. Its part of soccer that some nights just aren't going to be yours. After scoring the foot definitely came off the pedal. Given the fluky nature of the goal (Jamaican keeper had some tremendous first half saves but needed to do much better with that one) I think the U.S. team just decided that it wasn't their night and not to push their luck. Jamaica is a counter attack team, with lots of speed. With nothing to lose, they were going to flood forward any time we lost the ball. Defensively, Boca, Cherundolo and Cameron are not exactly fleet of foot, so its a bad matchup to allow the counter when preventable. So tactically, there was a lot of danger in pushing for a second goal and some limited up side.

Of course, the U.S. did not do a good job of maintaining midfield possession even once the foot came off. From that perspective they didn't execute a perfectly legitimate and defensible tactic very well, which is why the last 30 minutes looked as sloppy as it did. I'd give the U.S. a 6 out of 10 on the night overall. The first half was very well played and the U.S. was just unlucky, the second half not as much especially after they shifted from attacking to holding. That was down right dismal.

Gray Fox

Fierce When Roused

ScotsFan

Quote from: Hoosier Titan on August 28, 2012, 07:31:39 PM

Liverpool may or may not make it this season, but they are on the rise again.  Personally, I prefer the new role of "plucky underdogs"--takes some of the pressure off.

Sitting in the bottom 3 and still looking for their first win of the Brendan Rodgers era, things aren't looking so good in Liverpool these days...

And they couldn't have picked a worse time to air this documentary series on Fox Soccer.  Talk about adding insult to injury?!

Does Rogers survive past Christmas?

sac

2 of Liverpool's losses have come with a player dubiously sent off and they've played 3 of the 4 top teams in England so far.  (Man U, Arsenal, Man City).   

GarbageGoals33

I think Rogers survives past Christmas...

One thing I love about Liverpool fans is the "Why always us?" mentality, as if the world is out to get them.  I have a handful of friends that love Liverpool and all they do is complain about Man U and officiating.  Liverpool has some decent players but their expectations are always unrealistic.  A top half finish would be just fine for the Reds.

ScotsFan

Quote from: sac on September 25, 2012, 04:30:06 PM
2 of Liverpool's losses have come with a player dubiously sent off and they've played 3 of the 4 top teams in England so far.  (Man U, Arsenal, Man City).

I wouldn't call Shelvey's dismissal 'dubious'.  He had a pretty reckless feet first challenge and he had also been warned by the referee earlier in the match.  Now, the awarding of the PK for United could be considered dubious, but I don't think there was any doubt that Shelvey deserved red for that challenge...

sac

Clint Dempsey had the eventual game winner at Old Trafford for Tottenham

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJQvSCUjE30

jknezek

Nice to see him on the field and making an impact. I always worry when our guys transfer to a bigger club that they will end up buried on the bench. Some promising American careers have been damaged by transfers and coaching changes. Others just never lived up to the hype (poor Freddie Adu who somehow was a man-sized boy at 14, and a boy-sized man at 22). Between Clint, Jozy's hot start, Micheal Bradley if he can get back on the field after his injury, Americans are making more waves in Europe every year. It's a good sign that the American program continues to slowly improve as it has over the last 30 years. In another 20 or 30 years, we might even be a true top 10-15 nation year in and out. Hopefully by then MLS will actually have a national TV contract and following that allows them to put a top 10-15 league on the field.

sac

In the most recent episode of Being Liverpool, I spotted a Franklin and Marshall sweatshirt in a crowd shot outside Anfield.   I guess F&M gear is relatively popular in Europe.

Its worth the read
http://espn.go.com/blog/playbook/fandom/post/_/id/2608/the-two-identities-of-franklin-marshall

WLCALUM83

Qualifier Final:  USA 1, Costa Rica 0  (there was a blizzard going on for virtually the entire match-- a Dempsey goal within the first 20 minutes holds up, --barely)

And next Tuesday, they play in Mexico --

Mr. Ypsi

The Liverpool troubles continue:  serial biter Luis Suarez strikes again.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/soccer/news/20130421/suarez-bites-opponents-arm-then-scores.ap/?sct=hp_t2_a11&eref=sihp

Over/under on how long he will be suspended: in 2010, he was suspended 7 games for biting; I'm setting the line at 15 games.

ScotsFan

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on April 22, 2013, 01:50:34 AM
The Liverpool troubles continue:  serial biter Luis Suarez strikes again.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/soccer/news/20130421/suarez-bites-opponents-arm-then-scores.ap/?sct=hp_t2_a11&eref=sihp

Over/under on how long he will be suspended: in 2010, he was suspended 7 games for biting; I'm setting the line at 15 games.

Should be longer than that if you ask me.  This guy is clearly missing a few screws in his head and I really hope the FA has the stones to make an example out of him.  I mean, what makes you freaking grab an opponents arm and bite them?  And this wasn't his first incident with biting an opponent?  :o WOW?!  Mike Tyson thinks he's crazy?!  Dude is a racist nut job and I hope his days in the EPL are done!

And the fact that he had an impact on the outcome of that match yesterday after the bite only added insult to injury...  ::)