Conference changes

Started by hopefan, May 01, 2008, 11:25:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Gregory Sager on May 02, 2008, 12:56:22 AM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on May 01, 2008, 06:27:44 PM
Quote from: sac on May 01, 2008, 05:43:22 PM
TWO Mr Y.

St. Mary's would appreciate being included. ;)

My apologies for slighting St. Mary's. :-[  (If a school doesn't play football or men's bball, I tend to forget about them!)

How could anyone forget about St. Mary's? Its sports teams have one of the best nicknames in D3: the Belles.

Tura lura lura!

I was always under the impression that it was "toura, loura, loura" - can anyone channel Bing Crosby to officiate? :D

And one of my favorite guilty pleasures was NOT "The Belles of St. Mary's"! ;)

pabegg

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on May 02, 2008, 01:32:44 AM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on May 02, 2008, 12:56:22 AM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on May 01, 2008, 06:27:44 PM
Quote from: sac on May 01, 2008, 05:43:22 PM
TWO Mr Y.

St. Mary's would appreciate being included. ;)

My apologies for slighting St. Mary's. :-[  (If a school doesn't play football or men's bball, I tend to forget about them!)

How could anyone forget about St. Mary's? Its sports teams have one of the best nicknames in D3: the Belles.

Tura lura lura!

I was always under the impression that it was "toura, loura, loura" - can anyone channel Bing Crosby to officiate? :D

Toora loora, toura loura, and tura lura all appear in various published versions. "Tura lura" would be the Irish Gaelic form.

On the other hand, Tennyson used "tirra lirra" and Shakespeare used "tirra lyra" (in A Winter's Tale).

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on May 02, 2008, 01:32:44 AM

I like puns. So sue me. :D
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Ralph Turner

Look who is joining the NEAC as an affiliate in 7 sports...

Dallas!

University of Dallas, located in Irving TX, not Dallas PA.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Ralph Turner on September 12, 2008, 01:19:50 AM

Dallas!

Dallas is joining the NEAC? ???

So many jokes ... so many punchlines ... brain overload ... help!
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

pabegg

Dallas!

They must have hired the same guys who put the NFL Cowboys in a division with New York, Philadelphia, and Washington.

Time to change the conference name to the WhAC - the Wherever Athletic Conference.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: pabegg on September 12, 2008, 07:02:18 AM

Dallas!

They must have hired the same guys who put the NFL Cowboys in a division with New York, Philadelphia, and Washington.

Time to change the conference name to the WhAC - the Wherever Athletic Conference.
As for Dallas in the NFL East, the Cowboys have been in the same division with the New York football Giants, da Skins and da Iggles since 1961.

Tradition!   ;)

hickory_cornhusker

Quote from: Ralph Turner on September 12, 2008, 08:41:39 AM

Dallas!

As for Dallas in the NFL East, the Cowboys have been in the same division with the New York football Giants, da Skins and da Iggles since 1961.

Tradition!   ;)

Also when they realigned the division due to the merger with the AFL they had five different plans. The plan they selected was the only one that had Dallas in the East. The other four had them in either the Central or the West. All four plans that weren't selected also had Minnesota in the East.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: hickory_cornhusker on September 12, 2008, 10:23:40 AM
Quote from: Ralph Turner on September 12, 2008, 08:41:39 AM

Dallas!

Tradition!   ;)

Also when they realigned the division due to the merger with the AFL they had five different plans. The plan they selected was the only one that had Dallas in the East. The other four had them in either the Central or the West. All four plans that weren't selected also had Minnesota in the East.
That decision showed the strength of Pete Rozelle and Tex Schramm inside the workings of the NFL.

Ralph Turner

On the NEAC Men's hoops board, bballfan44 reports that the UDallas deal was approved one month ago and that the deal is for two years.

That will give the conference a chance for some of their provisional members to move to full status.

It also allows UDallas an "out", if and when the SCAC wishes to expand to 16 teams.

Berry College GA is probably coming online as a provisional in 2009-10.  Berry has an endowment of over $600M, and sponsors 15 sports including women's equestrian.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Ralph Turner on September 14, 2008, 04:21:29 PM
On the NEAC Men's hoops board, bballfan44 reports that the UDallas deal was approved one month ago and that the deal is for two years.

That will give the conference a chance for some of their provisional members to move to full status.

It also allows UDallas an "out", if and when the SCAC wishes to expand to 16 teams.

Berry College GA is probably coming online as a provisional in 2009-10.  Berry has an endowment of over $600M, and sponsors 15 sports including women's equestrian.

A 16-school league might be a great option for the travel-plagued SCAC, in that it would facilitate a move to two divisions (East and West) that would (to cite only two sports as an example) allow the league to reduce the travel for men's and women's basketball by confining the traditional double round-robin to divisional games only while playing only single round-robin games interdivisionally, or by not even playing a full interdivisional round-robin at all.

Ralph Turner

Spalding joins the SLIAC in 2009-10.

KnightSlappy

I'm resurrecting this old thread as there seems to be a great deal of conference shuffling for this year and in upcoming years.

For 2011-12:
Centenary (La.) (provisional) joins the ASC
Chapman joins the SCIAC
DePauw leaves the SCAC for the NCAC (assuming they'll move to the GL region as well)
Hamilton leaves the LL for the NESCAC
Lancaster Bible joins the NEAC

For 2012-13:
Berry joins the newly formed SAA
Birmingham-Southern leaves the SCAC for the newly formed SAA
Centenary (La.) (provisional) leaves the ASC for SCAC
Centre leaves the SCAC for the newly formed SAA
Hendrix leaves the SCAC for the newly formed SAA
Millsaps leaves the SCAC for the newly formed SAA
Oglethorpe leaves the SCAC for the newly formed SAA
Rhodes leaves the SCAC for the newly formed SAA
Sewanee leaves the SCAC for the newly formed SAA

Add on the changes that I've missed.

hickory_cornhusker

Quote from: KnightSlappy on October 14, 2011, 09:39:56 AM
I'm resurrecting this old thread as there seems to be a great deal of conference shuffling for this year and in upcoming years.

For 2011-12:
Centenary (La.) (provisional) joins the ASC
Chapman joins the SCIAC
DePauw leaves the SCAC for the NCAC (assuming they'll move to the GL region as well)
Hamilton leaves the LL for the NESCAC
Lancaster Bible joins the NEAC

For 2012-13:
Berry joins the newly formed SAA
Birmingham-Southern leaves the SCAC for the newly formed SAA
Centenary (La.) (provisional) leaves the ASC for SCAC
Centre leaves the SCAC for the newly formed SAA
Cornell leaves IIAC to join MWC
Hendrix leaves the SCAC for the newly formed SAA
Millsaps leaves the SCAC for the newly formed SAA
Oglethorpe leaves the SCAC for the newly formed SAA
Rhodes leaves the SCAC for the newly formed SAA